• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

hlhbk

I already have Puzzle Quest =P
Well 2/3 GAFfers so far recommend it, will grab it before I go to bed ^o^.

Also, I want X-Men Origins: Wolverine on Steam. Playing it on PS3 atm and it's a fun and bloody GoW-like action game.

Xmen origins wolverine was awesome and was everything the movie should have been.

re: Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet

I've tried rebooting, reinstalling GFWL Marketplace and the Redistributable, run as administrator and even tried some ghetto file from the developers. Shit still doesn't work. Amazing.

I'm done with this piece of shit.

MRORANGE

Im slightly worried when Microsoft when decides to pull the authenticstion servers for these gfwl games.

It's bad enough that our saves are tied with our online account.

So's Microsoft, for what it's worth LOL

7mCqv5K.png

the nerve

Derrick01

Banned
Derrick01 says no.

He might be right.

He is. If you need to burn money that badly then I suggest you actually light it on fire and light some fireworks with it. That way you get to watch something else explode instead of your brain from playing something so insultingly bad as Hitman Absolution.

Gaf,Hitman Absolution is it worth it? I have Blood Money but for that low price of 16 euro's. Not to shabby though.
It's a good game. Maybe not the best Hitman. What did you think about Blood Money?

If you went 100% silent assasin in Blood Money and explored every possibility to complete the levels, Absolution could dissapoint. If you played Blood Money casually, then go for it and buy Abso.

Nokterian

It's a good game. Maybe not the best Hitman. What did you think about Blood Money?

If you went 100% silent assasin in Blood Money and explored every possibility to complete the levels, Absolution could dissapoint. If you played Blood Money casually, then go for it and buy Abso.

I played Blood Money more casual. I have seen the video's for silent assassin that is true dedication on how they kill there targets.

So I picked up Borderland 2 over the Holiday sale, and was making it my game to beat over the first quarter of the year or so (that's about how long it takes me these days, adult life and all that). And for the first few hours, I thought that it was going to be one of my favorite games ever (I skipped Borderlands 1). The action seemed tight, there was loot to be grabbed, I loved the presentation and the story / voice acting was actually pretty amusing on the whole. But now I'm like 12 or so hours in and I feel like I'm fading fast, and considering ditching it. Anyone else sour on this guy? Does it pick up as it moves toward the end?

I'd sum up my main complaints as follows:
  1. (This is my biggest gripe) When a game has leveling in the mix it basically offloads gameplay balancing from the developer into the gamer. I'm not 100% complete type of gamer, but I've been hitting an ok percent of the side missions as I go along, and I'm finding myself past the first few hours to be totally overleveled for the story missions. It's sucked the challenge out of the game, and I hate that I basically have to be responsible for balancing the game by playing the correct number of side missions to keep the core missions doable, but challenging. I can tweak the difficulty I guess, but with a game like this I see that as probably just adding more HP to all the enemies as opposed to actually bringing more interesting AI into play like with a Halo / Crysis game.

2. The game has 75 bazillion weapons or whatever, but I don't get that amount of actual gameplay difference from them. I just play the game with weapon slots for sniper, shotgun, rifle, and SMG / pistol and just slot new +1 weapons into those slots as I play along. I like some of the quirks in there (the weapons that explode like grenades when you reload, the nova shields) but I don't see enough variance in general to say that I find the weapon variety to change my playstyles any more than a shooter with your standard number of guns to collect and use.

3. The times between the interesting combat setpieces just go on for far too long, and with too repetitive of a combat sandbox. Don't get me wrong, the game has interesting combat bits, some fun boss battles, and neat encounters. But to me it still feels loaded with filler enemies that are not that fun to fight, don't offer a challenge, and just keep coming long after they have overstayed their welcome. In some recent mission I kept fighting waves of 2-4 loaders / combat engineers over and over again, in fairly open / simple combat arenas. Every encounter played out the exact same for me, and it seriously took like 40 minutes to plow past it all. I had a constructor fight at the end of that which was actually pretty fun, but I hated that the ratio of actually tense / interesting combat to rote plowing was like 1:5 in the hour that I played.

4. The act of looting is just kinda lame in general, having to run around and press "X" on all 30 boxes in a room to grab the cash / refill my ammo is just a waste of time. Give me one big chest with a couple of interesting guns, lots of ammo and $100 please instead of 20 chests with $5 each and a type of ammo or two scattered around. I just don't get how having to play "find the green dots and press 'x'" for 2 minutes after clearing an area makes the game any better aside from increasing the number on howlongtobeat.com

Sorry, bit of a random ranty post there. But this is the usual thread that I drop impressions in when hitting PC games.

So I picked up Borderland 2 over the Holiday sale, and was making it my game to beat over the first quarter of the year or so (that's about how long it takes me these days, adult life and all that). And for the first few hours, I thought that it was going to be one of my favorite games ever (I skipped Borderlands 1). The action seemed tight, there was loot to be grabbed, I loved the presentation and the story / voice acting was actually pretty amusing on the whole. But now I'm like 12 or so hours in and I feel like I'm fading fast, and considering ditching it. Anyone else sour on this guy? Does it pick up as it moves toward the end?

I'd sum up my main complaints as follows:
Applies to the first one also. Borderlands 1 and PayDay the Heist are my biggest buying regrets. In the case of Borderlands it also contributed the fact that couldn't get people to play it properly. For this type of game the enjoyment is better extracted if bought day 1 and sharing the "learning" experience starting from zero with the other players.

At least won't make the same mistake with Borderlands 2 XD

Carm

To add insult to GFWL, Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet crashes ~10min in. Anybody had the same problem when pulling out some yellow orb with the grabby claw?

Just completed homeworld using the claw with the yellow orb if that is what you are referring too. Game didn't crash for me.

Just completed homeworld using the claw with the yellow orb if that is what you are referring too. Game didn't crash for me.

Yeah, that one. Did you play it with M+KB or a controller? I fully expect the game to act weird because of something like that.

kennah

I'd sum up my main complaints as follows(

1. (This is my biggest gripe) When a game has leveling in the mix it basically offloads gameplay balancing from the developer into the gamer. I'm not 100% complete type of gamer, but I've been hitting an ok percent of the side missions as I go along

2. The game has 75 bazillion weapons or whatever, but I don't get that amount of actual gameplay difference from them.

3. The times between the interesting combat setpieces just go on for far too long,

4. The act of looting is just kinda lame in general

1. Totally fair, it's easy to overlevel yourself - BUT, second playthrough fixes this from what I can see.

2. They're there, but the game certainly isn't clear on letting you know which weapons have interesting effects or behave in different ways. For example, I found a sniping shotgot, and a pistol with the fire rate of a SMG, a shotgun that sends out explody balls of electricity. Most rocket launchers behave in different ways as do most large machine guns. The way to look at it is to see the guns as more than the numbers. If you get one, and it's close to what you have, try it out, see how it feels. This would also help with the difficulty curve as you could be more likely to use a lower level gun that just feels right and matches the way you play.

3. This could be because you did so many side missions ;)

4. I took a tip from Diablo and just started skipping all boxes that weren't big chests. The only times I open those other boxes is if I'm short on a particular type of ammo - but even then I'm more likely to just switch to another weapon. And you can also take it a step further and not pick anything up that isn't Green or better. The money you get from chests and white items is way less than what you get from good other items and you pick stuff up off the ground anyway. I don't feel short of cash in this game - where I frequently felt short in the first.

That said, everyone likes different things, I'm not trying to argue, just giving a different perspective on things :)

ArjanN

Yeah, that one. Did you play it with M+KB or a controller? I fully expect the game to act weird because of something like that.

I've beaten the game with keyboard and mouse. (it's plays better that way IMO, although you only really need that control for the lantern run mutiplayer.)

I got stuck in the geometry once, but that was fixed by restarting. Oh and some of the achievements are buggy, otherwise I had no problems with it.

esai

anyone want a dota 2 key. i played 19 minutes worth of it last month and they just gave me 5 keys. might as well be an open beta.

Czigga

Welp just got Sleeping Dogs. For a while I thought this might be the first great deal I don't bite on. I'm sure the first 10 min will be awesome before I never touch it again.

I also noticed some how i have 5 copies of DOTA 2 I can gift away? Anyone know how that happens? I know they weren't gifted to me because I don't have any friends on Steam. I bought it during the xmas sale. Did it come w/ multiple copies or something?

HoosTrax

Pretty much anyone who has DotA2 is getting flooded with gift copies.
Not I. I tried giving them away at first, and got down to only 1 left. Then I was given 2 more. Haven't bothered trying to give any away since then, and I haven't gotten any new ones either.

BadAss2961

Welp just got Sleeping Dogs. For a while I thought this might be the first great deal I don't bite on. I'm sure the first 10 min will be awesome before I never touch it again.
SD is so good. Played for a couple hours today, and it looks like the hype is warranted.

Downloading Sleeping Dogs now, how are the controls for a port? I always had it in my head that it was a more controller oriented game but how's the KB+M implementation?

KePoW

Banned
Downloading Sleeping Dogs now, how are the controls for a port? I always had it in my head that it was a more controller oriented game but how's the KB+M implementation?

It's definitely better with controller. But that's not SD's fault, that's because any open-world game with driving is better with a controller.

Also SD is not really a gun-based game, it's mostly melee fighting.

mr. grape

It's definitely better with controller. But that's not SD's fault, that's because any open-world game with driving is better with a controller.

Also SD is not really a gun-based game, it's mostly melee fighting.

I actually really liked the mouse/keyboard controls. I had to bind some of the keys (mostly for menus/cell phone controls) to my mouse (G700) with Logitech Setpoint, but other than that.. the mouse/keyboard controls are great, and the driving controls were good as well.

I tried both KB/Mouse, and 360 controller, and preferred to play it with KB/Mouse.

dreamfall

I think I'm getting Carpal Tunnel. After literally 15 minutes on Kb/M, I have to switch. First time I played GTA IV with a controller on the PC. It feels strange, but hell, my wrists are aching.

Duxxy3

I think I'm getting Carpal Tunnel. After literally 15 minutes on Kb/M, I have to switch. First time I played GTA IV with a controller on the PC. It feels strange, but hell, my wrists are aching.

It's the prime reason why i haven't played many games using KB/M lately. Last time my wrist hurt for 4 days straight and i intermittently had that hand go numb/tingly.

I tried to manually add Sleeping Dogs dlc and somewhere between 6 to 12 items in the cart, it empties it. It would be slightly cheaper to get dragonmaster pack and the rest of them. Already own Nightmare in Northpoint.
I seen GiantBomb's quick look of Zodiac Tournament. It seems short if you compare the time they are actually in it.
Might as well check out their Nightmare in Northpoint as well.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
re: Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet

I've tried rebooting, reinstalling GFWL Marketplace and the Redistributable, run as administrator and even tried some ghetto file from the developers. Shit still doesn't work. Amazing.

I'm done with this piece of shit.

See, this is why I don't play my games. :p

Tizoc

^That reply and context make no sense.

Well just got my monthly payslip gonna grab Sonic Racing Transformed later today and maybe Secret Files 1-3 off of GMG.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
^That reply and context make no sense.

Sure it does. He was experiencing issues trying to play a game, and I've only played ~15% of my library, so I made a joke about avoiding such problems being the reason I tend to ignore my games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom