• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xavin

Neo Member
For the future though. What's the worst that can happen. Just to be safe make a new Amazon.com account (you don't need to, but I did). Stick a real American address and the worst that can happen is they will stop the order, but in reality they don't seem to mind.

I'll keep that in mind, thank you :)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Green Man Gaming.

Dead Island 4.08 and Dead Island GOTY 5.44 with code.

What do you guys think? And whats the difference between both games?

GoTY includes the DLC. I can't speak to its quality but the difference between the two versions is less than $1.50 so you might as well grab the latter, should you decide to purchase the game.

Arozay

I've got a question about Civ V and the GotY edition. If I add a GotY key to my steam account, would it replace/upgrade the original version or will I end up with a double?

Asking because I originally bought the game boxed and it's cheaper to just get the pack off amazon with the expansion.

I'm guessing it'll double up though, knowing steam.

ShaneB

So I've finally gotten around to playing Deus Ex Human Revolution... I'm pretty sure I'm over halfway through it. I'm enjoying it quite a bit. I can see where the complaints on the bosses came from though.

I've decided I'm going to play Binary Domain next. Then Alpha Protocol.

My thinking on this is that if I play futuristic setting games enough, I can get back to playing a couple other games I've lost interest in (amalur and witcher 2; I got burned out on fantasy after doing skyrim and dark souls back to back).

After I get done with those, I think I'll do the post apocalyptic twins Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Perhaps even STALKER with the 09 mod as well. That's the plan anyway.

Quite the outline of games :p Good luck with that.

I've got a question about Civ V and the GotY edition. If I add a GotY key to my steam account, would it replace/upgrade the original version or will I end up with a double?

Asking because I originally bought the game boxed and it's cheaper to just get the pack off amazon with the expansion.

I'm guessing it'll double up though, knowing steam.

I think it'll just upgrade the Civ V you already have, since there is no actual "Civ V GOTY" entry, it's just Civ V + dlc.

Ledsen

So I've finally gotten around to playing Deus Ex Human Revolution... I'm pretty sure I'm over halfway through it. I'm enjoying it quite a bit. I can see where the complaints on the bosses came from though.

I've decided I'm going to play Binary Domain next. Then Alpha Protocol.

My thinking on this is that if I play futuristic setting games enough, I can get back to playing a couple other games I've lost interest in (amalur and witcher 2; I got burned out on fantasy after doing skyrim and dark souls back to back).

After I get done with those, I think I'll do the post apocalyptic twins Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Perhaps even STALKER with the 09 mod as well. That's the plan anyway.

See you in a couple of years!

Arozay

I think it'll just upgrade the Civ V you already have, since there is no actual "Civ V GOTY" entry, it's just Civ V + dlc.

Good point. Just tried to buy it, Amazon's digital section doesn't like Aussie money so I'm screwed regardless.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Just make sure to select a U.S. state that doesn't charge sales tax on digital purchases, like Massachusetts (for now).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Just make sure to select a U.S. state that doesn't charge sales tax on digital purchases.

Furthermore, if you can't be bothered looking into that, just use the address of Google's CA-based HQ. There's sales tax in the state but it doesn't apply to digital content.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Connecticut ddoesn't have that changing . CT 1, MA 0

You've still got Lieberman. Don't even bother doing the math to account for that deficit.

But, to be fair, I'm not sure how it's going to pan out exactly. Amazon is going to start charging sales tax, but I'm not sure if they'll do it for digital purchases, too. I just know that some people have been charged sales tax on those before, but that could just be their shitty state being shitty.

1-D_FTW

Didn't know, but I maybe able to make about 30$+ dollars ^_^

TF2, it pays for itself :O

I crafted down so many weapons in an attempt to make a hat for my soldier. Then I realized I underestimated how borked the system really was for that and quit.

Still had 20 left that I never used and sold. It wasn't a whole lot, but it's still a mild rush from making money off a game you played.

Zeth

Considering Blood Money. Does it hold up reasonably well? Should probably get it before this SE sale ends. $0.50 cheaper on GMG too.

Been hearing a lot of bad stuff about deadlight. Made me not take advantage of the amazon deal!

Played through it yesterday. My thoughts, FWIW: Starts off very strong in Act I, tumbles horribly in Act 2, but regains a bit of steam by the third act, although the game doesn't finish nearly as strong as it starts. The platforming and controls are also inconsistent and frustrating at times. The "puzzles" feel half-assed and require no thought whatsoever. The voice acting is pretty horrible and having the main character talk way too often can kill the mood. On the bright side, the visual aesthetic is beautiful and I love the backdrop of a crumbling Seattle behind the player. Unfortunately you're running around so much that you don't get much of a chance to soak it all in. Overall I thought it was mediocre at best and even painful to play in some spots. Which is disappointing when you consider how good the first 30-60 minutes are. Could've been so much better.

Having said that, you should still buy the bundle for the other games. Don't let one disappointing game stop you from experiencing the rest.

HoosTrax

I could use a Paradox sale right about now, while my Steam wallet is flush with hat money. Randomly decided to try Mount and Blade: Warband for the second time. First time was after getting the game for free, where the tutorial makes it seem like the ugliest and jankiest game in recent memory (the game doesn't look much better than Rome: Total War).

Getting past all that, the game actually plays like a Medieval: Total War game if it were an RPG instead of a strategy game, and if you took direct control of a general instead of the detached point of view of the faction overseer. The combat is a bit unforgiving, and you actually have to work for each hit, but it's pretty rewarding when you land that perfect blow from horseback.

Ledsen

I could use a Paradox sale right about now, while my Steam wallet is flush with hat money. Randomly decided to try Mount and Blade: Warband for the second time. First time was after getting the game for free, where the tutorial makes it seem like the ugliest and jankiest game in recent memory (the game doesn't look much better than Rome: Total War).

Getting past all that, the game actually plays like a Medieval: Total War game if it were an RPG instead of a strategy game, and if you took direct control of a general instead of the detached point of view of the faction overseer. The combat is a bit unforgiving, and you actually have to work for each hit, but it's pretty rewarding when you land that perfect blow from horseback.

How does that work? You just play TF2 until you get some hats, and then you sell them?

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Just found out about the ability to sell TF2 items for Steam money. Yay for undercutting all the other sellers and making a dime at a time on my vintage items :D

I've already got like $1.20. Nice.

HoosTrax

How does that work? You just play TF2 until you get some hats, and then you sell them?
The types of hats you get from that method aren't all that rare or coveted (and that quality of hat isn't open for sale yet anyway).

The only types of hats available for sale right now are blue - "vintage" (ones dating back several years) and green - "genuine" (these are usually given out by publishers for preordering their games). Company of Heroes 2 has an example of such a promo hat.

Various things effect the market value of a given hat, like which class or classes can wear it, how visually appealing it is, how rare, etc. For the Kingdoms of Amalur preorder promo hats, I sold a couple of them for around $2-$3 each. The third sold for around $6 since it was an all-class hat that can be worn by any class.

Anyways, there's plenty of more complexities about hats, especially purple quality (unusual) hats, but that's the basics.

Ledsen

The types of hats you get from that method aren't all that rare or coveted (and that quality of hat isn't open for sale yet anyway).

The only types of hats available for sale right now are blue - "vintage" (ones dating back several years) and green - "genuine" (these are usually given out by publishers for preordering their games). Company of Heroes 2 has an example of such a promo hat.

Various things effect the market value of a given hat, like which class or classes can wear it, how visually appealing it is, how rare, etc. For the Kingdoms of Amalur preorder promo hats, I sold a couple of them for around $2-$3 each. The third sold for around $6 since it was an all-class hat that can be worn by any class.

Anyways, there's plenty of more complexities about hats, especially purple quality (unusual) hats, but that's the basics.

Cool! Seems the only sellable item I have is a "Genuine Pip-Boy". I gave a Bill's Hat away to some random GAFer a couple of years ago and I've since learned that it was worth a bit of money.

So a friend recently brought me into the SDK2007 mod No More Room in Hell and I am really surprised by this game.

It's like true survival horror, with deadly zombies. You have to scavenge everything, zombies grab you and will kill you within 5 seconds if you don't break free, if they bite you you get infected and have to find pills to stave it off or you will die within 5 minutes or less.

It's intense, scary, and really fun. It's also dark, very dark. Crappy review but that's just what my mind wanted to get out there.

If you like Killing Floor, L4D, Dayz, then you definitely should try this.

To add insult to GFWL, Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet crashes ~10min in. Anybody had the same problem when pulling out some yellow orb with the grabby claw?

XaosWolf

Heya GAF,

Don't think this'll fit in Steam Trading as I'm not trading it and I don't even know if it'll work but here goes:

I got my Preorder code for a copy of the original Bioshock and no one I knew needed it.
It says for Steam and PSN (doesn't specify which), so I posted it up on my twitter account instead. No replies as of yet.

So now I have a code, but don't know if anyone took it and used it so...
Anyone here want a (potential) copy of Bioshock at all?

Relax.MX

Heya GAF,

Don't think this'll fit in Steam Trading as I'm not trading it and I don't even know if it'll work but here goes:

I got my Preorder code for a copy of the original Bioshock and no one I knew needed it.
It says for Steam and PSN (doesn't specify which), so I posted it up on my twitter account instead. No replies as of yet.

So now I have a code, but don't know if anyone took it and used it so...
Anyone here want a (potential) copy of Bioshock at all?

Me :)

1-D_FTW

Fuck. Was the vintage Bill's hat for everyone who pre-ordered, or was that a unique drop.

I sold my hat to a regular in this thread for 10 bucks (plus threw in a engi-hat that seemed worthless enough).

I can't believe that hat has really jumped to 120 bucks. Can't be true.

Exuro

Fuck. Was the vintage Bill's hat for everyone who pre-ordered, or was that a unique drop.

I sold my hat to a regular in this thread for 10 bucks (plus threw in a engi-hat that seemed worthless enough).

I can't believe that hat has really jumped to 120 bucks. Can't be true.
I think the vintage was a glitch or something. I remember it having to do with support giving you a new bills(getting hacked/stolen or deleting it) a long time ago and them being vintage instead of regular.

1-D_FTW

I think the vintage was a glitch or something. I remember it having to do with support giving you a new bills(getting hacked/stolen or deleting it) a long time ago and them being vintage instead of regular.

Phew. Although that is kinda crazy that they get to benefit in this way.

Tizoc

I think I remember the consensus at the time was you should just play Puzzle Quest instead.

I already have Puzzle Quest =P
Well 2/3 GAFfers so far recommend it, will grab it before I go to bed ^o^.

Also, I want X-Men Origins: Wolverine on Steam. Playing it on PS3 atm and it's a fun and bloody GoW-like action game.

MRORANGE

Sometimes I wished valve would stop traders from contacting you in tf2. I have no plans in trading in trading BIll's hat, it's gotten so bad I never wear it anymore.

Exuro

Sometimes I wished valve would stop traders from contacting you in tf2. I have no plans in trading in trading BIll's hat, it's gotten so bad I never wear it anymore.
Can't you set your inventory to friends only? Or are they viewing it another way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom