• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaneB

Asylum, which was greenlighted, has now a Kickstarter to help finish the game. And I think it's promising!

So... um, what happens if it doesn't meet its target? A title got greenlighted(greenlit?), and doesn't get made at all? Wonderful!

edit: well the kickstarter clarifies "it WILL happen... just sooner" ehhhhh

Finished SD this summer at a friends house, time to drop the duckets on it myself. Is any of the dlc worth it or is it all useless fluff?

I'm a sucker for things like new fighting moves. Cheats, clothes, vehicles, not so much.

dreamfall

Hmm- picked up Deadlight from that Microsoft bundle. And Risen 2 from GMG...

Sigh. This backlog keeps growing. Neither of those have even been installed!

Hoping for some Dead Space sale (though it is EA so unlikely perhaps) and what's the word on the Fable pack?

Eternia

New Groupees bundle. Only lasts 3 days
http://groupees.com/kiss

Minimum $1 gets
Ibomber Attack(Steam)
J.U.L.IA.(DRM free)

Minimum $5 gets
Lucius(Steam)
King's Bounty: Warriors of the North(Steam)
Already bundling Warriors of the North. They haven't even marked it down by 75% off on Steam and now it's $5 minimum. I'm also surprised that they chose to use the newer game before Crossworlds. Great deal but still puzzling to me.

Its very short, and I do with my time whatever I see fit good sir.

No offense. But i think time is so expensive that it isnt worth to play a game that i dont like. Most of the games i just start and then quit right away because they are generic. Thats why i dont play any CoD Halo's or other games that doesnt change over years.

No offense. But i think time is so expensive that it isnt worth to play a game that i dont like. Most of the games i just start and then quit right away because they are generic. Thats why i dont play any CoD Halo's or other games that doesnt change over years.
Which is why you spend time on gaf.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I get more enjoyment from GAF than I do an average game.

I get more enjoyment out of a quality shit than GAF.

I mean like, one of those really good ones where you just feel reborn afterwards? And you barely have to wipe? Damn. I wish I was doing that right now.

nexen

I like pirates and Risen 1 and I enjoyed my time with it.

I liked Risen 1 a lot. I like pirates well enough. But I did not like Risen 2.
Mostly because it was buggy as all hell on my laptop. Grass disappearing and reappearing in huge chunks and shadow issues.
I have an ATI 7970M. Probably decent with Nvidia cards.

jediyoshi

Wow your time isnt worth anything so you play trough bad games?

I would have stopped the moment where it gets awful (i think im halfway trough and its awesome so far)

Some people can find something bad worth playing to make a final judgement on it. I wouldn't exactly trust someone's opinion on something they didn't see the whole way through.

That said, it's still pretty bad.

Aaron

I bought Risen 2 sure that it couldn't be as bad as people say it is. It's actually worse. Wow. It's like the developers had amnesia and forgot how to make a decent game.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I actually enjoyed Deadlight quite a bit once I turned off all the silly hint notifications and glowing platform bits.

It feels a lot like the old rotoscoped platformers like Prince of Persia, Flashback, Another Word & Blackthorne.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I actually enjoyed Deadlight quite a bit once I turned off all the silly hint notifications and glowing platform bits.

It feels a lot like the old rotoscoped platformers like Prince of Persia, Flashback, Another Word & Blackthorne.

i have deemed these "clunky platformers" in honour of their heavy physics. if you enjoyed these, you might also try last year's war of the worlds game on psn/xbla, which is ludicrously hard and frustrating but still well worth a play IMHO

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Totally unrelated to the current conversation, but at the moment I don't have internet at my new home so I'm finally digging into my Steam backlog. Who knew all those unplayed games would come in handy someday.

I started with a couple hours of Legend of Grimrock. It's surprisingly polished for an indie title developed by a very small team of people (in terms of controls, interface, etc), and I really enjoy the methodical dungeon crawling, but I find the combat kind of irksome. Most of the time it's easy to circle an enemy and dodge it's attacks, but the spiders with their speedy movement and poison attacks are a major pain. I bailed on it last night when forced to deal with an entire lair of the bastards. It was fun until that point but I don't think I have the patient to deal with the tedious quick save/quick load grind to deal with that segment.

I also started Gemini Rue. I dig the moody, dystopian vibe. Lots and lots of atmosphere. I love adventure games but they tend to stump me easily. I like a good brain teaser, but having to stop and google a FAQ tends to kill immersion. But so far, solutions have been pretty easy to figure out. I'm looking forward to seeing how the plot unravels. My only major complaint is the terrible voice acting. Not only is the delivery really bad, but it sounds like it was recorded in a phone booth.

Not quite sure what to start next, but I might try to dig into some of the sim/strategy games that have been intimidating me like Galac Civ 2, Crusader Kings 2 or X3. That and the Telltale Monkey Island series.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Snuggler/games/?tab=all#0|50 ...lots to choose from.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Totally unrelated to the current conversation, but at the moment I don't have internet at my new home so I'm finally digging into my Steam backlog. Who knew all those unplayed games would come in handy someday.

! I had a 30 hour downtime last week due to ISP stuff and did the same thing. I think I mentioned Hotline Miami and QUBE in here, but I also finished Hell Yeah (which I found fairly funny and engaging but also a little frustrating and probably ran out of ideas a little while before it ran out of game), played a few hours of Giana Sisters (love the music, game is okay, find the collectibles a little annoying), did a runthrough of Tobe's Vertical Adventure (reminded me of the kind of game that would have been top tier on, like, Newgrounds ten or twelve years ago. fun for the 60-80 minutes it lasted), and started in on Ghost Master. I also played some Alan Wake's American Nightmare (like: open world, atmosphere. dislike: way too much combat, plot is well off into nonsense territory, no apparent scarcity of items in any way). Also started Closure (neat mechanic, but the presentation really drags me out, can only play a few minutes at a time), Snapshot (beautiful, but I don't think it quite works as well as it should, like most indie platformers with a physics element), They Bleed Pixels (gorgeous, combat feels fluid, but not really my sort of game), and Lone Survivor (probably the closest thing to a 2D survival horror since Clock Tower, very unsettling. So far I like Home a little better, since Home was more interactive fiction and this is more game, but we'll see). Also finally got off my ass and played through the bulk of Rayman Origins (gorgeous, inventive level design, every mechanic works, challenging without being too tough, huge amount of content, controls great, but I didn't really like how the game is split up between the first and last halves and the levels could be a little shorter per level, and I'd also like to be able to skip the end of level score tally which is needlessly slow, especially on level replays).

I wish my internet connection would go down more often.

zkylon

zkylewd
! I had a 30 hour downtime last week due to ISP stuff and did the same thing. I think I mentioned Hotline Miami and QUBE in here, but I also finished Hell Yeah (which I found fairly funny and engaging but also a little frustrating and probably ran out of ideas a little while before it ran out of game), played a few hours of Giana Sisters (love the music, game is okay, find the collectibles a little annoying), did a runthrough of Tobe's Vertical Adventure (reminded me of the kind of game that would have been top tier on, like, Newgrounds ten or twelve years ago. fun for the 60-80 minutes it lasted), and started in on Ghost Master. I also played some Alan Wake's American Nightmare (like: open world, atmosphere. dislike: way too much combat, plot is well off into nonsense territory, no apparent scarcity of items in any way). Also started Closure (neat mechanic, but the presentation really drags me out, can only play a few minutes at a time), Snapshot (beautiful, but I don't think it quite works as well as it should, like most indie platformers with a physics element), They Bleed Pixels (gorgeous, combat feels fluid, but not really my sort of game), and Lone Survivor (probably the closest thing to a 2D survival horror since Clock Tower, very unsettling. So far I like Home a little better, since Home was more interactive fiction and this is more game, but we'll see). Also finally got off my ass and played through the bulk of Rayman Origins (gorgeous, inventive level design, every mechanic works, challenging without being too tough, huge amount of content, controls great, but I didn't really like how the game is split up between the first and last halves and the levels could be a little shorter per level, and I'd also like to be able to skip the end of level score tally which is needlessly slow, especially on level replays).

I wish my internet connection would go down more often.
Yeah, I went through a similar phase when my last videocard sorta died on me and would give me BSODs when playing 3D games.

I went back and played like 15 indie games. Then my new card came in and I bought a FPS -_-

nexen

I would do horrible things for a modern Another World
third-person cover based shooter

Bumhead

Banned
What's right and/or wrong with Deadlight, exactly?

I thought it looked OK. Not sure if I should dive in at £4.99. Feels like it should be cheaper (and I know it has been within the last couple of days)

Santiako

What's right and/or wrong with Deadlight, exactly?

I thought it looked OK. Not sure if I should dive in at £4.99. Feels like it should be cheaper (and I know it has been within the last couple of days)

It's beautiful looking, but has awful controls, combat, pacing, plot and writing.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I haven't played TF2 since it came out.. I know I have to have a bunch of pre-order hats and stuff though. Wonder if I can sell some hehe.

I'm sure you could easily. I didn't even bother to look up the value of stuff, just put it up cheap and let it go. I wasn't using them anyways.

It would probably be best to look up the value, though. Don't want to sell a $40 hat for $4.

frozzted

Man, this Sleeping Dogs 2.1 patch downloading is destroying Steam, and therefore killing my CPU. Wtf.

*The download keeps dropping to 0.0KB and for some reason it makes Steam go crazy.*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom