• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

I just started it a couple nights ago actually. I've only done 1 main and 1 side mission so I'm nowhere near making a complete judgement yet, but I'll say that so far I've seen some pretty solid things in the game being held back by quite a few completely terrible and baffling decisions. It's way better than the all-time shit pile that Conviction was though.

edit: And my dude Jensen is in it! Completely took me by surprise running into this guy and hearing Jensen.

Elias or Kobin actually has a more fleshed out roll and pretty much a star turn in Blacklist.

It's not Chaos Theory sadly, but the Splinter Cell of old is long since dead but this is a step in the right direction (aside from the Charlie side missions which are rubbish wave based stuff). Story is a bit 'meh' and fells like a rejected plot for a series of 24 (they even share an actor) but the mechanics allow for a no kill stealth approach (well bar one small section but you can still stealth through it but that's a spoilerific sequence so I won't go into detail).

In short I enjoyed it. It felt like 1 part Conviction, 1 part Double Agent and 2 parts Chaos Theroy. Not the best Splinter Cell but puts the bad smell of the dead corpse of Conviction in the shadows.

More UPlay stories: Uplay saved 18gb of temporary install files on my computer even though the game had already been fully downloaded and installed. These files had to be manually deleted.

Tizoc

More UPlay stories: Uplay saved 18gb of temporary install files on my computer even though the game had already been fully downloaded and installed. These files had to be manually deleted.

The
fuck?
This makes me wonder if there are temp files on my lappy that need deleting on my C drive since I feel like there's 50 GB that's been taken up on it and I'm sure I didn't install much on it.

Speaking of EA, is there a list of EA games on Steam that activate on Origin, too? Yesterday I put my Alice, Crysis 2 and Mass Effect keys from Steam in Origin and they activated just fine.

I just tried it, worked fine with Mass Effect but Amalur and Dead Space 2 didn't work. It recognised the keys but the said they were already used. Not that it matters!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
why hasn't JaseC gotten a tag for all his hardcore steam collection. lol

saoirse-ronan-on-the-cra32.gif

(On a serious note, it doesn't bother me. If I get a tag one day -- any tag, that is -- that'd be nice but I'd rather not "fish" for one as doing so defeats the sense of pride... or shame.)

wishful thinking :(

Well, there were almost twice as many featured EA deals last year compared to 2012 (excluding EA Partners titles) and there's only one other client I'm aware of that has functionality identical to Origin's recently-introduced automatic exit feature. ;)

JaseC

You need to be the GAF-er that has the most games before a tag is considered.

Well, 7extonly has an account here he seldom uses so that's never going to happen unless he hangs up his proverbial hat, haha.

Does Kingdoms of Amalur have to be activated/registered through Origin or whatever or it runs solely via Steam?

And Jase I know you just for having a phenomenal avatar that makes me stop what I'm doing and stare dreamily for a few seconds. :b

JaseC

Regarding South Park The Stick of Truth and UPlay/Steamworks:

https://twitter.com/UbisoftSupport/status/429936062270418946

they don't know yet

Ubi's not one to force Uplay down the throat of its external partners so I would assume the game's remained a Steamworks title with the possible exception of the version sold on Uplay itself.

And Jase I know you just for having a phenomenal avatar that makes me stop what I'm doing and stare dreamily for a few seconds. :b

Haha, well, fortunately for your productivity level It'll likely be gone in a little under a week as Grand Budapest Hotel is premiering at the Berlin Film Festival on the sixth. ;)

Zafir

Yeah, it did the same to me. I didn't notice till I my partition it was installed on filled up, so I went to make space.

Should I buy Guacamelee if I have no intention of playing it right away?

Yes! Its amazing. One of the better games I've played recently. And its $3.74 now - how much more can you save really?

Haha, well, fortunately for your productivity level It'll likely be gone in a little under a week as Grand Budapest Hotel is premiering at the Berlin Film Festival on the sixth. ;)
Nice. I've only ever seen her in Hannah. Guess I should rectify that. Are you gonna be rotating avatars?

MRORANGE

I hate it when you guys interpret wishful thinking and non-concrete rumours as news :(

You got my hopes up for ME2 being released for Steam when it comes out.

AHA-Lambda

Ubi's not one to force Uplay down the throat of its external partners so I would assume the game's remained a Steamworks title with the possible exception of the version sold on Uplay itself.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, I remember being pleasantly surprised that CoJ Gunslinger was without UPlay.

Copons

Yesterday I finshed Sleeping Dogs, first game of my new powerful gaming life, and I must say: impressive.

First of all: I'm not a huge fan of free roaming games. Actually I usually dislike them as I find them dispersive and in-cohesive. For example, never got to finish any GTA (except the first one, IIRC), but still Red Dead Redemption is one of my favorite games ever, and I totally love the nonsense of Just Cause 2.

Sleeping Dogs is a more compressed experience, the explorable area isn't all that big or varied, but still the oriental setting is refreshing and original. Considering my past free roaming loves, I guess I'm just tired of wandering around a random US big city...

Sleeping Dogs' Hong Kong nevertheless doesn't always feel really tight. The city is split in 4 areas that altough they're physically separated, they aren't from a level design point of view. This means that main and side missions are always so scattered around, that you get to drive on the same highway dozens of times every day, a thing that eventually lead you to miss plenty of beautiful details scattered over the city, and barely touched by any quest at all.
I think about the island far off the southwestern shore, clearly quest-ready, but no one ever sent me there, so I guess, or it's used in some DLCs or the content there was simply cut from the game...

Again, the urban design is good but not perfect. While it's totally fair that they ditched the narrow streets and intense traffic of the real HK/any Asian city (as those things would have made the game unplayable), too often the different areas shows very similar features.
It could certainly be a sincere effort in recreating a believable and realistic city, but in a game it means lots of repetitions and a general sense of being lost (without looking at the gps).
Also, the adherence to the real HK is fair for someone that never went there (like me: I felt it ok, and I had some good vibes related to my experiences in Japanese metropolitan areas), but I have a friend living in HK that told me that it seems too much a Miami-like city than the overcrowded, somewhat dirty and whatever else it is the real HK. But I guess these could be the same complaints a newyorker could have with GTA4's Liberty City.

All in all, I didn't really hated both driving and shooting sections. At least not how much I thought I would have, reading opinions here. It's clear, though, that the most efforts went to the fighting part, that feel so good!
Also, and I may be wrong here, the credits seemed extremely short for an AAA game, that led me to think that this game was made by a relatively small studio, a thing that made me forgive a lot of the sub par stuff.

Inevitably, the setting made me compare Sleeping Dogs to Shenmue 2. I wanted so much to get the same 80s HK vibes again, and some times I got them, especially in North Point lower class areas (even IIRC Shenmue was mostly set in Aberdeen), but this new HK just felt too polished to relate it to the Shenmue one.
But I must say, sometimes the nostalgia stroke me so much that plenty of times I literally tried pushing the trigger to walk. :D
PLZ SEGA GIVE ME SHENMUE BACK PLZ PLZ PLZ. PLZ?

JaseC

I found ranged combat in Sleeping Dogs to be surprisingly solid. It's not as refined as, say, Max Payne 3, but it's definitely leagues ahead of GTAIV and RDR.

Copons

I found ranged combat in Sleeping Dogs to be surprisingly solid. It's not as refined as, say, Max Payne 3, but it's definitely leagues ahead of GTAIV and RDR.

I dont remember RDR shooting sections all that well, but my huge love for that game makes me think it was like the best thing ever. :D

I'd maybe give you GTAIV but RDR was a fairly competent, often very good shooter which heavily improved on GTAIV's somewhat sluggish action. Sleeping Dogs's shooting elements just feel kind of boring, and all the guns like toys. Shame it becomes so predominant as you go along. It's certainly never awful though.

JaseC

I seem to recall RDR being largely similar to GTAIV but it has been a few years. I still hold hope that PC port will happen eventually.

Copons

Great to know Copons, have you found what you will be playing next? I heard Dark Souls is good.
:p

AHAHA I planned it to be my next game, but I'm just TOO SCARED! I mean, I left it several months ago in front of a motherfucking boss! Now I barely remember the controls, how am I supposed to get in and suddenly beat that?? T_T

But yes, the idea is to alternate DS with XCOM, even though I'm probably gonna play Broken Age. :D

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
any word on the 2 games being added to the blink bundle?

edit: probably old but Hero Siege steam keys have been added to the desura client btw, from indieroyale debut 8 bundle

JaseC

any word on the 2 games being added to the blink bundle?

edit: probably old but Hero Siege steam keys have been added to the desura client btw, from indieroyale debut 8 bundle

Thanks for the heads-up. Fortunately I didn't forget to buy the bundle.

Edit: As a reminder, the process of retrieving a key from within the client is a little convoluted:
Freedom Fall keys have gone out for Indie Royale Sigma Bundle purchasers: you need to tie the bundle to your account by clicking the link on your collection page and then view your Desura collection from within the client to obtain your key (Desura icon -> History -> Gifts History -> "your collection" link -> Freedom Fall -> Keys -> Get Steam Key).

For whatever reason you're not able to obtain a key from the Desura website in cases where the game was added via the Indie Royale bundle redemption link.

Dr Dogg

Oh why did I start up Torchlight? I can feel my soul being eaten away but I can't stop clicking!

The First Dragon Age should work, too. I also need to try Mirror's Edge.

Technically you can reclaim almost any EA game bought on Steam with a few little quibbles. For Dead Space you'll need to go through the registry to find your key but it redeems through Origin. Dead Space 2 works through the Origin website, Crysis and Warhead (including the Maximum Edition) you'll need to open a support ticket but if you have proof they will add it to your account. There was a list over at EA Answers but I can't find at the moment. So far the only one I had problems with was Battlefield 2 Complete.

Edit: Actually here's a list from Steamgifts.

Tizoc

South Park Stick of Truth is not available in my region, not that it's surprising =P
I've noticed a few posts back that SoT and region were mentioned, is the game region locked from certain countries?

Zafir

Is there any way to change category names? I'm just organising my games, and I want to change some of the category names, but don't really want to have to remove all the games and add them to a category with a different name.

JaseC

South Park Stick of Truth is not available in my region, not that it's surprising =P
I've noticed a few posts back that SoT and region were mentioned, is the game region locked from certain countries?
To clear up the South Park region-lock matter, the following region-locked subs are in use:

- Germany and Austria
- Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Hong Kong and Taiwan
- Eastern Europe

Every single other territory has a region-free sub and these subs can be activated within the aforementioned territories.

Some traders are offering cheap ROW copies courtesy of a bug in the checkout system.

Is there any way to change category names? I'm just organising my games, and I want to change some of the category names, but don't really want to have to remove all the games and add them to a category with a different name.

https://code.google.com/p/depressurizer/

Derrick01

Banned
Elias or Kobin actually has a more fleshed out roll and pretty much a star turn in Blacklist.

It's not Chaos Theory sadly, but the Splinter Cell of old is long since dead but this is a step in the right direction (aside from the Charlie side missions which are rubbish wave based stuff). Story is a bit 'meh' and fells like a rejected plot for a series of 24 (they even share an actor) but the mechanics allow for a no kill stealth approach (well bar one small section but you can still stealth through it but that's a spoilerific sequence so I won't go into detail).

In short I enjoyed it. It felt like 1 part Conviction, 1 part Double Agent and 2 parts Chaos Theroy. Not the best Splinter Cell but puts the bad smell of the dead corpse of Conviction in the shadows.

I played a few more missions last night and it seems to be decent but I think my two biggest complaints that seem to be a pattern in each area is that:

1) The levels are far too small, I'm assuming because of consoles. There's a decent amount of options in each level but it's not hard to memorize the entire area because of the small size. I wish there was more meat to these levels.

2) They flood you with gadgets if you want to play stealth and they provide too many opportunities to refill your stock. I played an area last night where I couldn't have used all my gadgets unless I was just chucking shit all over the place, there were less guards than the amount of gadgets I had on me. It kind of makes the game easy if you choose to use them too. The sticky camera, sleeping gas and remote controlled drone are extremely overpowered. I feel like they were meant more for the wave based missions that you mentioned.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Man, I was totally enjoying Q.U.B.E. until these puzzles in sector 6 where you
have to use 4 magnets to slide white cubes and position them exactly on the lasers.
So boring dealing with the physics, repositioning yourself and having to start over when they slide wrong and clumsily push each other. I didn't look for solutions online for any room before this but even checking a video for this one didn't make it less tedious. Game does much better when it allows you to work with precision instead of erratic inertia. I'll drop it for now and try again some other time.

oneils

Do we really want them back, though? You can't just hurt someone and then waltz back into their life a few years later like nothing happened. Maybe we've moved on.

Wtf, I've never even heard of this shit.

That's is what I have done, moved on. Ever since they dropped steam, I have only bought one EA title, and I bought it used for my ps3.

I played a few more missions last night and it seems to be decent but I think my two biggest complaints that seem to be a pattern in each area is that:

1) The levels are far too small, I'm assuming because of consoles. There's a decent amount of options in each level but it's not hard to memorize the entire area because of the small size. I wish there was more meat to these levels.

2) They flood you with gadgets if you want to play stealth and they provide too many opportunities to refill your stock. I played an area last night where I couldn't have used all my gadgets unless I was just chucking shit all over the place, there were less guards than the amount of gadgets I had on me. It kind of makes the game easy if you choose to use them too. The sticky camera, sleeping gas and remote controlled drone are extremely overpowered. I feel like they were meant more for the wave based missions that you mentioned.

Try one of Grimm's missions, they're typically set in very large environments with lots of options and routes. Also, if you're spotted once it's an instant game over. They're some of the most challenging stealth levels I've seen in years.

Derrick01

Banned
Try one of Grimm's missions, they're typically set in very large environments with lots of options and routes. Also, if you're spotted once it's an instant game over. They're some of the most challenging stealth levels I've seen in years.

Her first mission is one of the missions I did last night, that somewhat small
dock/lighthouse
area. I appreciate that it gives no room for error but the area didn't have enough hostiles to account for all the gear I had. There were at least 3 or 4 rooms I entered in that small area that had no one in them. Felt like most of the guards were squeezed in to the top area.

I dunno these side mission levels feel more like multiplayer maps than the large memorable levels that were in the older Splinter Cells. I haven't played the MP yet and probably won't but I would not be shocked at all to see these areas showing up.

Sendou

So does Valdis Story pick up in some big way after awhile or something? Because if it doesn't I'm afraid that I don't see why people recommended it over here. First of all I get that it's hand drawn and all but oh boy does it look shit when blown up to 1080p screen. I guess I could play it windowed but that's not how I want to play games on PC. They spend too much energy on story and lore that is completely generic too.

However these are issues I could easily overlook. What I'm having serious problems coping with are the controls. They are some of the worst I have ever seen. I'm playing with a 360 controller and they just don't work. That whole dashing mechanic is a joke and including some platforming stuff with this level of controls in place is an unbelievable choice. I know that the devs probably wanted to have some challenge in their game but you don't include jumping puzzles that require frame perfect execution if your game doesn't control to match that.

As for everything else it ranges from mediocre to good. Enemies just seem to change color and while some you can just kill easily by smashing X then there are some regular enemies that are harder than bosses. The difficulty curve is just all over the place. So please tell me I'm playing this wrong or something. I'm playing this on Hard but I'm not sure I want to go on (I'm in the Temple and they just seemed to feel like including a bunch of bullshit platforming challenges there. Just awful design. I don't know what they were thinking). I might just hunt down a Castlevania or something to play instead.

Anteater

However these are issues I could easily overlook. What I'm having serious problems coping with are the controls. They are some of the worst I have ever seen. I'm playing with a 360 controller and they just don't work. That whole dashing mechanic is a joke and including some platforming stuff with this level of controls in place is an unbelievable choice. I know that the devs probably wanted to have some challenge in their game but you don't include jumping puzzles that require frame perfect execution if your game doesn't control to match that.

As for everything else it ranges from mediocre to good. Enemies just seem to change color and while some you can just kill easily by smashing X then there are some regular enemies that are harder than bosses. The difficulty curve is just all over the place. So please tell me I'm playing this wrong or something. I'm playing this on Hard but I'm not sure I want to go on (I'm in the Temple and they just seemed to feel like including a bunch of bullshit platforming challenges there. Just awful design. I don't know what they were thinking). I might just hunt down a Castlevania or something to play instead.

What problem do you have with the controls? You could remap all the buttons, I have skill reset on the face button instead of the dpad, maybe it would work better for you too.

There are some choices I didn't like with the controls but overall it's not so bad once I got used to it. I use a dualshock though.

Sendou

What problem do you have with the controls? You could remap all the buttons, I have skill reset on the face button instead of the dpad, maybe it would work better for you too.

There are some minor choices I didn't like with the controls but overall it's not so bad once I got used to it.

Controlling the character feels very slippery in a bad way. Combine that with the dash mechanic and the way how magic works in this game (see the video for an example. You have to execute the commands in right order which is right->RT. If you aren't doing it perfectly the character will use magic and you fail) I feel like just having dedicated buttons for magic without having to hold RT would have been so much better) some puzzles/platforming challenges like this are frustratingly hard for these reasons. That's an extreme example though. Even the most simple action of jumping from one platform to another feels very dangerous just because very often that jumps fails because of how controls works in this game. At least that's how I feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom