• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anteater

So Stall pointed out that Origin updated their beta client for the first time in ages, and that it now has a feature that shuts Origin down after quitting a game. It was absolutely made with Steam and BPM in mind.

How long until EA is back?

My guess would be around the time when dragon age inquisition comes out

Jawmuncher

I'm all for EA games coming back to Steam.
Even if I have to deal with a Uplay type of system still better than nothing.
Wonder how they'll fix Mass Effect 3 DLC though. Since they can't do the whole Bioware Points things if they bring that over.

Exuro

Wonder how they'll fix Mass Effect 3 DLC though. Since they can't do the whole Bioware Points things if they bring that over.
I think they would have to due to Valve's dlc policy, which would be great. Bioware points are awful.

I'm actually having a hard time coming up with EA games that I'm interested in if they were to jump back to Steam.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Either the DLC will be made available on the store proper or BioWare Spacebucks will need to be purchased using Steam Wallet funds.

Edit: Well, that or Mass Effect 3 will be Mass Effect 3: Super All-inclusive Edition.

Edit edit: Here's the auto-exit option in the (digital) flesh:
originwvyjh.jpg

Nabs

I wouldn't mind NFS Rivals on Steam. I'd grab that for a 10 spot knowing that my friends are more likely to pick it up on sale.

Anteater

nfs rivals seems to have some optimization problems where the game's framerate would drop in certain parts of the map, despite the game could run at 60fps everywhere else, I probably won't be buying it until they fix it, I really want to play it though.

I wouldn't mind NFS Rivals on Steam. I'd grab that for a 10 spot knowing that my friends are more likely to pick it up on sale.
Doesn't the 30 fps lock bother you?
nfs rivals seems to have some optimization problems where the game's framerate would drop in certain parts of the map, despite the game could run at 60fps everywhere else, I probably won't be buying it until they fix it, I really want to play it though.
It's hard locked.

I guess I might actually play ME3 now if this pans out, but I didn't really miss EA's output. Only thing that would have bugged me is potentially missing out on Mirror's Edge 2.

DocSeuss

EA coming back to Steam would be bueno, especially because people might finally co-op Syndicate with me (it's absurdly fun).

The incompleteness of my Alien collection is REALLY BUGGING ME. Aliens vs Predator is on Steam. Aliens vs Predator 2010 is on Steam. Aliens: Colonial Marines is on Steam. Alien: Isolation will be on Steam.

BUT ALIENS VS PREDATOR 2, THE ONLY TRULY GREAT/AMAZING/BESTTHINGEVER ONE, ISN'T

It was a game led by FEAR/NOLF/SHOGO lead Craig Hubbard. I'd be willing to argue that it's his third best game after NOLF2 and FEAR.

You can't compare Fallout 3 to an actual RPG like NV. It's so massively better in every single way that I would say it's unfair to Bethesda if I actually gave a shit about them.

Comparing an Immersive Sim like Fallout 3 to an RPG like NV is indeed a very foolish thing to do.

NV actively suffered from not fully implementing the immersive sim elements, though. Really awful world design. Awful.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I would buy all the EA games they didnt release in the last 2-3 years on Steam, I really would.

"so why dont you buy them on Origin whaaaaaa?"

why because I have a thousand other games to play, I dont want those EA games that bad that I MUST play them

"youre a stupid steam fanboy rhaknar"

yup, I sure am strange voice in my head

_hekk05

Banned
I would buy all the EA games they didnt release in the last 2-3 years on Steam, I really would.

"so why dont you buy them on Origin whaaaaaa?"

why because I have a thousand other games to play, I dont want those EA games that bad that I MUST play them

"youre a stupid steam fanboy rhaknar"

yup, I sure am strange voice in my head

Its the OCD voice in all our heads. I have drm-free don't starve, but I'm still looking for a good sale to add it to my steam collection.
Missed the price error during the winter sale

Uraizen

Banned
I expect it to happen this year and when it does I intend to bother EA Support for a Steam key for Crysis 2 vanilla. The fact that I own Crysis 2 and Crysis 2: ME on Origin but only the latter on Steam is unsettling to me. :p

It always looks so weird to me when I have the vanilla version of the game and the "full" version. Why do I need two entries?! Just upgrade the old one!

It looks strange to me with the batman games, too.

allansm

Ahhh, okay. The aggressive expansion total for completing the Reconquista was +10, I think, but I completely annexed Grenada and they had no allies so they only nations that total will be applied to are my neighbours and their opinion of me. Portugal, Navarre, France and the nations off the coast of North Africa. My relations are so high with Navarre and Portugal that it won't impact them but Morocco and Aragon will likely be more inclined to dislike me. Okay. I don't think improving Aragon's opinion of me was a total waste since they were building a military force up and blockading trade with me, I think it deflected their attention away from me to Genoa and allowed me to snap up Grenada without having to fight them. And, since I saved, I may simply declare war on them and see what happens.

You should try to play a game as the Ottoman empire. My first game of Eu4 was as them and I learned a lot. At the beginning you have the most powerful troops in the entire world and your neighbours don't stand a chance against you. Later in the game the Europeans will get better troops than you, but by that time you will be so big that they will avoid declaring war on you anyway. Besides, your army will always be better than the Muslims, so you can easily conquer most of Africa and Asia without having to worry too much.

If you want to learn the colonial part of the game, Portugal is a good choice. Your only neighbour is Castille and they are friendly towards you, so you don't need to worry about Europe and can happily colonize the entire world.

One minor thing that's always annoyed me about playing on the PC is when you're toggling through various graphical settings only to have the name used for the maximum value for a particular setting be completely different from the next. For example:
Anti-alising Ultra
Texture Quality Very High
Ambient Occlusion High
and so on

Hell, in State of Decay you have low, normal, high, maximum and ultra in that order >_>

Jawmuncher

The incompleteness of my Alien collection is REALLY BUGGING ME. Aliens vs Predator is on Steam. Aliens vs Predator 2010 is on Steam. Aliens: Colonial Marines is on Steam. Alien: Isolation will be on Steam.

BUT ALIENS VS PREDATOR 2, THE ONLY TRULY GREAT/AMAZING/BESTTHINGEVER ONE, ISN'T

It was a game led by FEAR/NOLF/SHOGO lead Craig Hubbard. I'd be willing to argue that it's his third best game after NOLF2 and FEAR.

Yep i'm wondering as to why AVP2 isn't on Steam as well. I tweeted Monolith about it but never got a reply. I'm pretty sure that Sega holds all the alien rights thus they should be able to rerelease it. But I guess Warner Bros acquistion of monolith must have resulted in a snag somewhere. Damn shame since it's a damn fine FPS.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yep i'm wondering as to why AVP2 isn't on Steam as well. I tweeted Monolith about it but never got a reply. I'm pretty sure that Sega holds all the alien rights thus they should be able to rerelease it. But I guess Warner Bros acquistion of monolith must have resulted in a snag somewhere. Damn shame since it's a damn fine FPS.

Two publishers needing to agree on a revenue split is a recipe for an impasse.

Jawmuncher

Two publishers needing to agree on a revenue split is a recipe for an impasse.

Yep then that's probably it.
Though I wonder if they have even attempted to work something out.
AVP2 released on steam this year before Isolation would be pretty nice.

Couldn't decide what to play so I looked at my account activity and I'm even more overwhelmed now. I don't even remember buying so many games ;-;

Couldn't decide what to play so I looked at my account activity and I'm even more overwhelmed now. I don't even remember buying so many games ;-;

I just spent a couple of minutes wondering where/when I got a game that is in my library! In the end I just went oh well, must have been one of the countless bundles I buy.

Hasney

So I've bought KOA even though I already had it on Origin. Are the save games in the same location for both versions? Trying to minimise fannying about.

jonno394

Ah Bastion, one of the reasons I first started thinking about getting a gaming PC. Loving this, struggled a bit yesterday with Keyboard controls but sorted out my DS3 controller and it's just really enjoyable. The narrators voice is smooth, keeps me playing!

edit - just looked to join the GAF steam group but it's by invite only, could someone hook me up (steam id is the same as my username here) Thanks :)

Saty

By my count, 67 new games were released on Steam in January. Not including Steam re-releases for existing old pc games.

Speaking of EA, is there a list of EA games on Steam that activate on Origin, too? Yesterday I put my Alice, Crysis 2 and Mass Effect keys from Steam in Origin and they activated just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom