• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Lol I gave a friend a copy of Dark Souls and she was losing her shit. I directly told her as soon as she downloaded the game to apply the DSfix and change the settings to work with her specs. She loves how beautiful the game art direction is and she played a bit with her Ps3 controller. She died pretty quick in game cause she tried fighting the mini boss of that area. It was funny to read all the swearing coming from her but she was having tons of fun despite dying like 3 times there cause she wanted to kill him like that. After I told her she needed to run to the left area she facepalmed and eventually managed to defeat him. She is liking it a lot so Im proud to have introduced that jewel of a game to a friend. Hopefully by summer I get enough money and a nice sale on DS2 to get multiple copies to give away here and to friends.

Lol I gave a friend a copy of Dark Souls and she was losing her shit. I directly told her as soon as she downloaded the game to apply the DSfix and change the settings to work with her specs. She loves how beautiful the game art direction is and she played a bit with her Ps3 controller. She died pretty quick in game cause she tried fighting the mini boss of that area. It was funny to read all the swearing coming from her but she was having tons of fun despite dying like 3 times there cause she wanted to kill him like that. After I told her she needed to run to the left area she facepalmed and eventually managed to defeat him. She is liking it a lot so Im proud to have introduced that jewel of a game to a friend. Hopefully by summer I get enough money and a nice sale on DS2 to get multiple copies to give away here and to friends.

I love reading things like that so thanks for sharing :).

Anteater

Controlling the character feels very slippery in a bad way. Combine that with the dash mechanic and the way how magic works in this game (see the video for an example. You have to execute the commands in right order which is right->RT. If you aren't doing it perfectly the character will use magic and you fail) I feel like just having dedicated buttons for magic without having to hold RT would have been so much better) some puzzles/platforming challenges like this are frustratingly hard for these reasons. That's an extreme example though. Even the most simple action of jumping from one platform to another feels very dangerous just because very often that jumps fails because of how controls works in this game. At least that's how I feel.

hmm have you tried remapping reset/dash to a button instead of down on the dpad? It might help since it seems you're having issues with dashing. The platforming is kind of terrible though but I thought the controls work well for the kind of section that was in the video (even though they're still not fun to do), but I remember the wall jump and climbing were the worst.

I actually can't remember much about the magic system but I didn't have much problems with it, I did kind of dislike it so I didn't really use it so much other than for the platforming stuff and buffs/healing.

I think the game is about the same throughout, I thought it was fun but I generally like hack and slash games.

Sendou

hmm have you tried remapping reset/dash to a button instead of down on the dpad? It might help since it seems you're having issues with dashing. The platforming is kind of terrible though but I thought the controls work well for the kind of section that was in the video (even though they're still not fun to do), but I remember the wall jump and climbing were the worst.

I actually can't remember much about the magic system but I didn't have much problems with it, I did kind of dislike it so I didn't really use it so much other than for the platforming stuff and buffs/healing.

I think the game is about the same throughout, I thought it was fun but I generally like hack and slash games.

Well if it isn't going to change much then maybe I'm going to prioritize some other games over it. It's not like everyone has to like every game. OST in the game is absolutely spectacular in any case.

Going to play Brothers now. Something little different.

Anteater

Well if it isn't going to change much then maybe I'm going to prioritize some other games over it. It's not like everyone has to like every game. OST in the game is absolutely spectacular in any case.

Going to play Brothers now. Something little different.

yeah I would say the platforming actually gets worse later in the game too :D

dorxan

Neo Member
Is it just me, or are Library Categories broken right now? Everytime I move a game to a new category, it just resets to its 'default' position when i restart the client.

edit: found a workaround.
Apparently, I need to copy the sharedconfig.vdf file in userdata/[steam-user-id]/config/ and paste it to /userdata/[steam-user-id]/7/remote/ everytime i make some changes to the library.

Zafir

Is it just me, or are Library Categories broken right now? Everytime I move a game to a new category, it just resets to its 'default' position when i restart the client.

Just you, I've just been sorting my library and not had issues. If steam doesn't shut properly it can sometimes wipe your settings, mind.

Backlogger

After the frustration that was modding fallout 3 last month I may just play this vanilla.

Would that be such a bad thing?

I personally don't think you need to mod it, but you may need to patch some things like removing GFWL to make it playable.

Are you using a mod manager like nexus? That will make your life a little easier if you aren't.

I personally don't think you need to mod it, but you may need to patch some things like removing GFWL to make it playable.

Are you using a mod manager like nexus? That will make your life a little easier if you aren't.

New Vegas doesn't have GFWL, though.

And yes, if you're modding a Bethesda game, BOSS and Nexus Mod Manager (or another Mod Manager) are must-haves.

DOA

Sales devalue the IP etc
AQgDnzR.png

Steam proving again that Publishers are idiots

FloatOn

yeah, I'm using a mod manager but at least for fallout 3 redesigned aka project beauty there was a fuck ton of steps to do even when using it. so much so that I had to look up a tutorial video on youtube.

From what I've been told Fallout 3 has GFWL while New Vegas does not. This kind of already makes it a better game.

Dr Dogg

I'm really looking forward to replaying the game soon. Especially in 2.35.

That one was a pain to get working. Fucking UE3 strikes again. Using a combination of Widescreen Fixer and some .ini tweaks it's almost perfect (baring a few UI stretches with Trip's overlay and the Dragonfly but I can live with that)

Changing res in Engine.ini crops the image.
12270185835_0cd49fb571_c.jpg

Using the above ini tweak with Widescreen Fixer to change the FOV (@90) offsets the UI
12270384453_c5727fedaf_c.jpg

Reinstating the UI override via write protecting the corresponding .ini file puts it back (FOV changed to 80)
12270325253_5c2cd60fe9_c.jpg

Hopefully the titty pack will be included.

The what?!
What game has a "titty" pack?

I'm confident that it'll be in a humble bundle sooner or later.
If you aren't going to play it right away just wait.

Has a drinkbox game EVER been in a humble bundle? Not yet, as far as I know.

I typically change it every week or so.

Stay positive!

Mass Effect 2? That's been out forever... MRORANGE's post now has me confused...

I seem to recall RDR being largely similar to GTAIV but it has been a few years. I still hold hope that PC port will happen eventually.

I still don't understand why this never happened -- LA Noire made it, GTAIV and the expansions made it... it always seemed odd to me.

New Vegas doesn't have GFWL, though.

And yes, if you're modding a Bethesda game, BOSS and Nexus Mod Manager (or another Mod Manager) are must-haves.

Is Nexus useful for non-bethesda games -- things like Dark Souls or Deadly Premonition?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Mass Effect 2? That's been out forever... MRORANGE's post now has me confused...

Mirror's Edge 2.

I still don't understand why this never happened -- LA Noire made it, GTAIV and the expansions made it... it always seemed odd to me.

The most has R* has said on is imply that a PC port "isn't viable", which lead to a rumour that RAGE was butchered so heavily to get the game running on the PS360 that a PC port would require significant investment. I don't believe a word of it, though, since RAGE was built specifically to aid the development of "next-gen" titles, but this of course raises the question of why R* suggested that a PC port isn't worth the trouble. Even assuming the rumour to be true, I'd like to think that the success of belated PC ports since Alan Wake's fashionably late PC debut hasn't gone unnoticed.

zychi

Banned
rdr would have been a bitch to port supposedly. they used a ton of "tricks" to get it to run on 360/ps3, and supposedly it wouldnt have been worth the trouble of redoing it

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
That one was a pain to get working. Fucking UE3 strikes again. Using a combination of Widescreen Fixer and some .ini tweaks it's almost perfect (baring a few UI stretches with Trip's overlay and the Dragonfly but I can live with that)

I think it's more the devs fault because I tried 2.35 in Medal of Honor 2010 last night (UE3, similar dev period) and it worked flawlessly without touching anything.

JustinBB7

I only have Dragonborn DLC left for Skyrim, and then I'm done with my solo play backlog. Only other games I have to play are co-op games and my friend is too busy to play.

Should have bought more in the winter sale!

Dr Dogg

I think it's more the devs fault because I tried 2.35 in Medal of Honor 2010 last night (UE3, similar dev period) and it worked flawlessly without touching anything.

Oh definitely as Dishonored, Bioshock Infinite and DmC also work flawlessly out the box. It's when things like Scaleform get used that it becomes a right pain. Mass Effect is a work in progress, ME2 works semi-sort-of works and ME3 shrinks everything. Remember Me I'm still having issues to get the UI to centre over objects so I've just left it as is. Some have wierd FoV quirks others don't. It real is a case by case basis but more of an inconvenience than a tearing your hair out situation.

Shame most of the fixes out there sadly are for multi monitor support.

didamangi

Wow, Enslaved looks amazing on PC. So pretty.

First time playing it (in chapter 5 so far) but I couldn't help but feel if only the world textures were given a higher res for the pc release the game will be absolutely phenomenal graphics wise. Too bad the UE3 engine doesn't allow for easy texture modding.

Arthea

Have you been excited?
Here is something little for you
I was sure I had a main game and expansion (talking about STCC II), but I can't find RACE 07 key for the love of Odin. I just can't, sorry about that.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

STCC II -- MB-9C014D303F879C73 - Taken by Shalashaska
Rush Bros -- MB-7C337E3E158906D5 - Taken by alr1ght

Locust

Her first mission is one of the missions I did last night, that somewhat small
dock/lighthouse
area. I appreciate that it gives no room for error but the area didn't have enough hostiles to account for all the gear I had. There were at least 3 or 4 rooms I entered in that small area that had no one in them. Felt like most of the guards were squeezed in to the top area.

I felt the same about the gadgets initially, but then I started to try doing runs where I don't sleep/kill anyone. Should be much more challenging that way and gives a better score as well.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Have you been excited?
Here is something little for you
I was sure I had a main game and expansion (talking about STCC II), but I can't find RACE 07 key for the love of Odin. I just can't, sorry about that.

thx bros.

QWOP QWOP QWOP
ModBot said:
Instructions for alr1ght:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Surgeon Simulator 2013 -- MB-B747C1F9DD940C7B - Taken by masterkajo. 17 entrants total.

t1391370976z1.png

Grief.exe

I've e-mailed Wizards of the Coast asking if there is any intention to release its D&D games on Steam. I'm not anticipating a particularly meaningful response but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

I appreciate it Jase! The more games available the better.

I know its an outside chance, but I really want to lean on Ubisoft for Pandora Tomorrow on Steam.

JaseC

That's pretty funny actually.

Amazing what a long absence from the public eye can do for a game. Take note, Sega... and re-release Sega Rally/Sega Rally Revo/Outrun 2006! ;)

I appreciate it Jase! The more games available the better.

I know its an outside chance, but I really want to lean on Ubisoft for Pandora Tomorrow on Steam.

<3

It's worth a shot. I certainly didn't expect Ubi to bother patching Anno 1404 three years after it was pulled precisely because Ubi couldn't be bothered patching it, haha.

Edit: The game's old enough that Ubi could just do what Squeenix does and handball the job to CDPR in exchange for temporary GOG exclusivity.

Anteater

I don't mind it in small doses but the opening segment of AssCreedLib was murder on my eyes.

Yeah, I haven't really played a game that use it excessively, but they look kind of cool in screenshots like destiny and the order 1886, but like film grain I bet I'd rather turn it off after an hour! I sometimes enable it with sweetfx too.

This looks tempting, i would like to givva try but sadly its not on steam
and HB givin 10% off at launch

That looks kind of neat

JaseC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom