• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
are those the ones that require separate DRM?

Amalur as a whole has an optional EA/Origin log-in prompt and nothing more. You do unlock some Mass Effect-themed promo items by opting to do so, though.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I wonder if the developer will reconsider his/her position on Greenlight now that most of the examples mentioned in a December 2012 post have actually made the cut.

Knytt Underground
Kentucky Route Zero
Fotonica
Probability 0
Sokobond
POP: Methodology Experiment One
FRACT OSC
The Sea Will Claim Everything
La Mulana
qrth-phyl Not even on Greenlight
Kario Not even on Greenlight
The Real Texas
BasketBelle
Waiting for Horus
Death Ray Manta Not even on Greenlight
Cardinal Quest II
Dino Run SE
Incredipede

11 yes, 4 no. Yep, sure looks like Steam won't let those poor little indies on their service.

Hmm I was playing Enslaved and the girl floated off in a Christ in a Cross pose. Didn't expect that.

8D08C59313A5DA72D39605C33E7130A3DAA9AF64

Played an hour, seems nice as far as these auto-jump action games go. Except those insta-kill mines were a bummer. Last game I finished was Metal Gear Rising so I can't really give an unbiased opinion on the fighting system.

Dr Dogg

This looks tempting, i would like to givva try but sadly its not on steam
and HB givin 10% off at launch

Damn that looks pretty sweet. Plus sounds like another great Disasterpiece soundtrack.

11 yes, 4 no. Yep, sure looks like Steam won't let those poor little indies on their service.

To be fair to the guy at the time Greenlight selection had some odd choices and somewhat convoluted process. It's a touch better now but think even Gabe commented on moving away for a curated store (within reason of course). But it is 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.

Deques

I haven't played the original Deus Ex (or the sequel that is really bad I always read)

Is this game stand alone or is playing the first 1 (2) required pretty much?

I did not play any of the previous games before. So I would say that you can play this game as standalone. I think there were some references from the older games.
Correct me if I am wrong, but HR takes place before the first game

DukeBobby

I haven't played the original Deus Ex (or the sequel that is really bad I always read)

It's a prequel, so standalone.

You should really play the first one eventually, though. It's still a fantastic game.

Turfster

It's a prequel of sorts, so it's pretty standalone.

I should play it soon. What settings do I need to change to avoid that?
Well, like I said, I haven't really gotten it fixed either.
You need to edit BaseEngine.ini
Check the community forum for a couple of threads with suggestions. Most of them didn't really make it better for me, tho.

It's standalone, its story connections to the earlier games are little more than a few light references. You should still check out the original because if you can deal with late '90s early aughts level of visuals and world fidelity I think it's easily the better game of the bunch.

Dr Dogg

Is this what you're talking about? It looks horrid.

Yikes! Is that your pic? If so have you changed anything in the BaseEngine.ini or MonekyEngine.ini? Only way the shadows are going to get that bad is if you bump up their resolution (as per that guide on SPUF) which is going to make the situation worse.

This is what it should look like

You can tighten things up by adjusting the direction and the LOD bias the shadows render at but this will effect them in other way during gameplay. It's certainly not great but that is one or 2 or 3 scenes where it's at its worst the rest of the time I've not noticed it at all.

Derrick01

Banned

The first game is required playing by law. You better get on that quick now that you just outed yourself.

HoosTrax

i have a confession to make

i kind of like chromatic aberration
I don't know what to make of the effect and it's increasingly common usage. I guess I kind of get the urge to find a pair of those paper red/cyan glasses, to see if it's really in faux 3D, or if the developer just randomly added nonsensical red/blue auras. I think XCOM EU has this effect as well, especially on the Skyranger cut scenes.

Turfster

You can tighten things up by adjusting the direction and the LOD bias the shadows render at but this will effect them in other way during gameplay. It's certainly not great but that is one or 2 or 3 scenes where it's at its worst the rest of the time I've not noticed it at all.

Yeah mine didn't look like that out of the box... at all.
It was more like Lord British's.
Is this aggravated by having an AMD card?

JakeD

has anyone successfully gotten playfire rewards working properly? i've achieved a few of their rewards but my credit hasn't moved since the initial $.82 i got for setting up my account

Tizoc

Deus Ex HR and FF13 are prob. my most replayed games on my PS3. Every other game I've played at least once, with a replay only for trophy clean up.
Maybe it's time I did a replay of Suda51 games on my PS3...

Xanathus

Yikes! Is that your pic? If so have you changed anything in the BaseEngine.ini or MonekyEngine.ini? Only way the shadows are going to get that bad is if you bump up their resolution (as per that guide on SPUF) which is going to make the situation worse.

I just started playing Enslaved and had that issue in that cutscene as well. Luckily it doesn't seem to happen in any of the other cutscenes so it doesn't really matter.

Arthea

Can someone confirm getting Hero Siege steam key from Royale (debut 8 bundle)? Wiki keys added has it in the list, but I haven't gotten the steam key. It's not in the bundle, or e-mail or desura.

has anyone successfully gotten playfire rewards working properly? i've achieved a few of their rewards but my credit hasn't moved since the initial $.82 i got for setting up my account

nah, lots of people were complaining in their forums about not getting, and I myself haven't gotten some. I just gave away all idea. It might work some day, but now it's not really working.

Yeah, it's mine, and it's without editing config - on High settings. AMD card.

Turfster

GMG has Manhunt for 75% off
Don't know if anyone would want to get it at this stage tho, since it doesn't work on anything past XP...
I guess it's a +1 in your library? =p

GMG also has Sang Froid for 75% off, as well as the older 3D GTA games.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
anyone having problems adding games to their wishlist?

I am as well. It will only say "Oops, sorry!" any time I try to add something.

I just wanted to add The Dream Machine DLC, but instead I have this slightly unimportant and only minor annoyance nightmare instead.

Grief.exe

<3

It's worth a shot. I certainly didn't expect Ubi to bother patching Anno 1404 three years after it was pulled precisely because Ubi couldn't be bothered patching it, haha.

Edit: The game's old enough that Ubi could just do what Squeenix does and handball the job to CDPR in exchange for temporary GOG exclusivity.

Handball away, either way I'm happy.

Dr Dogg

Yeah mine didn't look like that out of the box... at all.
It was more like Lord British's.
Is this aggravated by having an AMD card?

Yeah, it's mine, and it's without editing config - on High settings. AMD card.

Hmmm don't know, I doubt it would be vendor specific (I'm using an Nvidia card by the way) but before the 1.2gb patch came out the game had no options to tweak it at all. The ones patched in are a massive mixed bag. I'll go dig through my .ini files and see what mine are set to. You can disable dynamic shadows altogether but you lose character shadows.

I just started playing Enslaved and had that issue in that cutscene as well. Luckily it doesn't seem to happen in any of the other cutscenes so it doesn't really matter.

That cutscene and one at around chapter 7 really highlight it I think due to the direction of the global lighting. Thankfully that's the only couple of times I've noticed but it's still a bit off putting.

Copons

The LTTP Dark Souls' Adventure of Copons
Season 2 Premiere

now with ass puns

Long story short: in October or something, happened that Great Grey Wolf Sif had too much hair going on that he kicked my laptop GPU's ass. This kicked in my weak consumerism mind the idea of buying a gaming rig. After several months of stressing out the build a PC thread, I finally bought it, and of course the first thing I tried wasn't Dark Souls, despite saying it would have totally been the first game I'd have played.

BUT!

Today was kinda the perfect day to launch it again, so I did, spawning just in front of the smoky door before Sif.
Bearing in mind that after all this time I completely forgot not only how to play but also the basic controls (and here I am pushing X to swing my sword, wasting a perfectly good flask instead), I entered the door and got my ass kicked so brutally, no really, sooooooo brutally by Sif, over and over again, that I felt completely clueless.
So I just started farming around the Parish, just to get the hang of this game back. And again, Sif kicked my ass. Apparently, farming super weak mobs isn't really the best way of practicing for a boss, because it gives you the false idea that you're actually powerful, while in Dark Souls you just ain't.

So, after several other tries, I decided to stop it and I launched X3, another game where I'm clueless, but at least there is no giant wolf jumping around you when I just want to enjoy the view of Uranus, laughing because, c'mon, Uranus ehhehehhe

Benedict

I wonder if the biggest contributor on Humble Weekly Bundle might have made a mistake when typing in the amount and all he/she was trying to do, was to get over $6...

Top Contributors

Anonymous
$601.00

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom