• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knurek

Hasn't it been in development for like twenty years?

No, that's another Obsidian game, Alpha Protocol.
Wish they would release the game already, played the pre-alpha code and the game looked like it'd be amazing if they ever manage to bugfix/optimize it.

batteryLeakage

Neo Member
Alien Swarm seems like a safe bet, but I don't see the point of doing L4D1 if they've got L4D2 at this point.

You think so? I love that game so I hope I'm wrong, but at this point it sort of seems like the red-headed stepchild of the Valve lineup. They haven't released it on Mac either.

Although they did go to the trouble of porting every single GoldSrc game and even HL2 Lost Coast so I guess its possible.

Annubis

Say you just received an rpg maker vx booster pack.

Lowest marketplace price: $3, 4 in stock

Regular cards sell for ~50c. Foils sell for $4-$9.

What do you do?

What. Do. You. Do?

Do you feel lucky
punk
?
I always open them, thinking I might finally get my first foil =(

Eanan

Some bundle extras

Thanks!

Someone might find use for this.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Dead Island: Epidemic -- MB-08CE5C6C48704898 - Taken by Kirosia

Looks like CS:GO for Linux could be releasing real soon. It popped into my games list briefly and promptly disappeared. Also Insurgency, which is based off the CS:GO build of Source, now has Linux listed under supported systems at SteamDB.

I did have a good feel about CS:GO coming this week, it would be nice if uneducated me were right. It's the only game I'm really super missing that's not on Linux.

After the Linux version of CS:GO is release, the only apps that would still need to be ported are Alien Swarm, Left 4 Dead, and Source FilmMaker. I wonder if Valve will port those three?

Portal 2 as well.

Tellaerin

http://store.steampowered.com/app/259720/

lol.gif

Try and look through that page (including watching the trailer with sound) without laughing.

What am I supposed to be laughing at, exactly?

Not sure if the game's really my thing (though the "take control of the narrative" stuff in the description's intriguing), but the art quality is good. The song in the trailer reminds me of English redubs of Japanese vocal tunes I've heard in other games. Seems solid in terms of production values.

I supposed to be laughing at it because it's a VN, or has anime/manga-style visuals?

Alright, kids, the launch week sale is over and I still don't see nearly enough people in my friends list playing this, so I've decided to do a little Octodad giveaway today (along with some other stuff I had sitting around in my inventory.)

FEAST UPON THIS, LAND DWELLERS

ModBot said:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Surgeon Simulator 2013 -- MB-59680E55601D1D76 - Taken by Boss Doggie. 8 entrants total.
Octodad: Dadliest Catch -- MB-5DDBA1CB8F46C4CC - Taken by Aitor. 91 entrants total.
Rogue Legacy -- MB-7538081910D1D87D - Taken by Pestilence11. 49 entrants total.
Octodad #3 -- MB-E31968878FAB6B32 - Taken by Exuro. 81 entrants total.
Octodad #2 -- MB-4C3A1B76100673A1 - Taken by vermadas. 89 entrants total.
La-Mulana -- MB-C270D3A6DD7CD8FB - Taken by The Wizard. 18 entrants total.

t1391738187z1.png

batteryLeakage

Neo Member
I did have a good feel about CS:GO coming this week, it would be nice if uneducated me were right. It's the only game I'm really super missing that's not on Linux.

I know I'm not going off much, but it seems pretty likely to me. The signs are there. Its definitely been a long awaited addition for me too.

oneils

Saw the deal for Borderlands 2.

I bought the original borderlands for about 7.50 back in the day. It never clicked with me. I had tried to play it, twice, but didn't really like it.

Tried it again last month, found a pretty awesome SMG within the first half hour and took off with it. Have about 45 hours in it now.

So, if I like borderlands 1 a lot is the GOTY edition of Borderlands 2 worth 20 bucks?

lol, steam spoils me so much. I have started to think that 20 bucks is too much for a game.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Alright, kids, the launch week sale is over and I still don't see nearly enough people in my friends list playing this, so I've decided to do a little Octodad giveaway today (along with some other stuff I had sitting around in my inventory.)

You are a good person-who-is-not-an-octopus-at-al. Thanks for the chance and I hope many people try out the co-op.

joe2187

Banned

Not sure if the game's really my thing (though the "take control of the narrative" stuff in the description's intriguing), but the art quality is good. The song in the trailer reminds me of English redubs of Japanese vocal tunes I've heard in other games. Seems solid in terms of production values.

I supposed to be laughing at it because it's a VN, or has anime/manga-style visuals?

Laugh at it because it's garbage, not because it's a VN.

1) It's made in canada (not a knock against canada, but it's not a japanese or translated VN)
2) It's filled to the brim with typos and spelling errors in literally every line of dialogue.
3) That song sucks ass
4) Y2K orphans.
5) It takes place in the country of "Not Japan"
6) Y2K ORPHANS
7) It's written by a twelve year old
8) Y2K ORPHANS!!!!

Fuuuuuuccccckkkkk I was trying to pay $1 for the double fine humble bundle as I have the rest of the games and the site refreshed. I put my info in again but forgot to check the price and I ended up paying $25 : /. I emailed humble bundle almost immediately so I guess we'll see if I get my $24 back.

Great giveaway!

I tried Octodad at the Montreal ComicCon, it was so fun and stupid, I enjoyed it so much.

r3n4ud

Fuuuuuuccccckkkkk I was trying to pay $1 for the double fine humble bundle as I have the rest of the games and the site refreshed. I put my info in again but forgot to check the price and I ended up paying $25 : /. I email humble bundle almost immediately so I guess we'll see if I get my $24 back.
You mean $1.05? :p

ArjanN

Spent about a half hour playing Ultionus just now, and I'm enjoying it well enough. The pixel art's really nice, the music's great (Jake Kaufman really nailing the retro feel), and while the gameplay's a little... I don't want to say "clunky" or "stiff", because it's not that, exactly... maybe "deliberate"? While the gameplay's a little deliberate, it's not offputtingly so, while still evoking the feel of the games it's referencing. It's taking me back to my Amiga days. I can see myself playing it on and off and eventually finishing it.

Ultionus looks pretty neat, just voted for it on greenlight.

In for Octodad!

I if shall win, I will host a Octogiveaway! (That is, a giveaway with 8 steam games!)

Humble Jack Leftover

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

Jack Lumber -- MB-E38E7CCCE14D2775 - Taken by jediyoshi

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Octodad giveaway? Sweet

edit: hero siege got cards

Seanspeed

Banned
Thanks for IL-2 spindoctor. :)

Some spares of my own:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Only GAF members who are junior members are eligible for this giveaway.

Beast Boxing Turbo -- MB-5CB8BE9150F97900 - Taken by mrchampipi
Interstellar Marines -- MB-55F68689F64F78D1 - Taken by tuseday
Rush Bros -- MB-16FCADF122A4AF01 - Taken by ZeroXZee

Beware! Winners of this are DQ'd from the Octodad sweepstakes it looks like!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Octodad giveaway said:
Cuuuurse you, invalid Alien Spidy keeeeey! *shakes fist*

I'm not even mad tho, it's just funny.

<3
ModBot said:
Instructions for Da DreadLord:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

1953 -- MB-0FE0D75BC1A2DC30 - Taken by Rhaknar. 16 entrants total.

t1391740258z1.png

Cade

Thanks, entered for the Octodads :D

Tellaerin

Laugh at it because it's garbage, not because it's a VN.

1) It's made in canada (not a knock against canada, but it's not a japanese or translated VN)
2) It's filled to the brim with typos and spelling errors in literally every line of dialogue.
3) That song sucks ass
4) Y2K orphans.
5) It takes place in the country of "Not Japan"
6) Y2K ORPHANS
7) It's written by a twelve year old
8) Y2K ORPHANS!!!!

I'm just going by what I saw on the store page. *shrug*

1. Japan doesn't have a monopoly on the concept of visual novels or particular art styles. As long as the execution's solid, why should anyone care? The "x isn't a real (whatever) because it's not made in (country)" argument really annoys me, tbh.

2. I didn't notice that in the screenshots, but I'll take your word on it. Kind of uncool. If your game's built on a lot of text-based narrative, proofreading that text should be a priority during development.

3. The song evokes the feel of the genre, which I think is the point. It's not exactly anything I'd be adding to my playlist, but I'm inclined to give a small Western developer props for making the effort.

4, 6, 8. I had to hit up Google to find out what you were talking about. Yeah, that's silly, but it doesn't seem much sillier than some of the other stuff I've seen in games over the years.

5. As names go, "Not Japan" is no worse than "Eagleland" in my book. :p

7. If the author really is twelve, props to him/her for writing all the dialogue for a game like this. If you're just cracking on the maturity of the writing, I can't comment, since I haven't played it myself.

Maybe the game itself is terrible, I dunno. I'll have to take your word on that. But after checking out the store page, I'm not seeing why people should be expected to just look at it and laugh.

Turfster

Wow, I was interested in how Redshirt would be able to turn something assinine as Facebook into an interesting game mechanic. Turns out, it didn't. This is a trainwreck.

UnrealEck

The lyrics to the song, the music, the singer's horrid voice, the generic art of the game, the terrible looking combat, the stupid looking monsters for the type of game it is, the price of the game, the player reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom