• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turfster

So I just... "played" Secret of the Magic Crystals for hours.
What the hell? Why do people keep gifting me games like this?
(Also this is the game with the least amount of actual gaminess I played.)

Volimar

So I just... "played" Secret of the Magic Crystals for hours.
What the hell? Why do people keep gifting me games like this?
(Also this is the game with the least amount of actual gaminess I played.)

Reminds me of the kids on Christmas complaining they got the wrong color iphone.

For the record, if anyone wants to gift me games I won't complain about them. :p

bronson

Trying to settle a bet -- there's no way that Titanfall is coming to Steam, right? Respawn isn't in 38 Studios' position. Gotta be Origin all the way. Right?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Trying to settle a bet -- there's no way that Titanfall is coming to Steam, right? Respawn isn't in 38 Studios' position. Gotta be Origin all the way. Right?
They technically are in the same position. EA doesn't own Respawn or the IP. Chew on that for a bit.

You can buy it on Origin right now, but you can't get it on Steam. Take that for what you will.

bronson

They technically are in the same position. EA doesn't own Respawn or the IP. Chew on that for a bit.
EA was in a position to be paid to keep the game off of the PS4, and Respawn either couldn't do anything about it or didn't want to. It stands to reason that EA has final say on the PC platform as well, and there's no chance they're missing out on driving tons of people to Origin over Steam

That, and the game runs on Microsoft's dedicated servers on the Xbox One, presumably EA's servers on PC. EA isn't going to publish Titanfall on Steam, period (it hasn't put a game on Steam for about 2 years, to my knowledge). So if Respawn decided it wanted to self-publish, it would have to either put up the cash for servers or rebuild the game around not having that benefit. Neither seem likely.

Grief.exe

EA was in a position to be paid to keep the game off of the PS4, and Respawn either couldn't do anything about it or didn't want to. It stands to reason that EA has final say on the PC platform as well, and there's no chance they're missing out on driving tons of people to Origin over Steam

That, and the game runs on Microsoft's dedicated servers on the Xbox One, presumably EA's servers on PC. EA isn't going to publish Titanfall on Steam, period (it hasn't put a game on Steam for about 2 years, to my knowledge). So if Respawn decided it wanted to self-publish, it would have to either put up the cash for servers or rebuild the game around not having that benefit. Neither seem likely.

Titanfall will run on Microsoft dedicated servers, aka the cloud, for the PC and 360 version as well.

Many of us are advising to play the wait and see approach.

Game is published under EA Partners so there is a distinct possibility for a Steam version.

Respawn keeps reiterating that they are going to drop information on the PC version very shortly.

_hekk05

Banned
Titanfall will run on Microsoft dedicated servers, aka the cloud, for the PC and 360 version as well.

I understand the 360 and the xbone, because those are microsoft's babies, but the pc too? Shouldn't it be EA servers if its an EA published game? Unless the MS moneyhat covered that too (MS hosts the servers on all versions, EA saves cost)

I just can't see EA ever letting titanfall onto steam. Its a great game to advance Origin.

bronson

Maybe I'm just trying to justify hopping on the GMG deal, but I don't see the same Respawn that wouldn't/couldn't do anything about PS4 exclusivity going on their own and publishing on Steam without EA.

Coupon's good til the 31st, I guess. Maybe I'll wait to see if info drops before then.

Why do companies want their own digital distribution system if better alternatives exist? That's only going to lead to stratification of their intended audience. If I was in charge, I;d find better ways to spend revenue and boost sales.

Sanctum 2 is incredible. My buddies and I have been doing feats of strength runs since it was in the Humble Bundle. We're finally on the last world.

The original game on the other hand, was very meh for me.

_hekk05

Banned
Why do companies want their own digital distribution system if better alternatives exist? That's only going to lead to stratification of their intended audience. If I was in charge, I;d find better ways to spend revenue and boost sales.

1. Stronger DRM

2. Jealous of the delicious market share commanded by Steam

3. Pet project by some out-of-touch exec

1. Stronger DRM

2. Jealous of the delicious market share commanded by Steam

3. Pet project by some out-of-touch exec

the_peter_moore_guarantee.jpg

Grief.exe

I understand the 360 and the xbone, because those are microsoft's babies, but the pc too? Shouldn't it be EA servers if its an EA published game? Unless the MS moneyhat covered that too (MS hosts the servers on all versions, EA saves cost)

I just can't see EA ever letting titanfall onto steam. Its a great game to advance Origin.

Its all explained in a blog post on their website, check it out if you need more info.

Microsoft Azure servers will power all three platforms.

Anustart

Thanks for Two Brothers! Heard nothing but good things about it!

Also, am I missing something with Metro 2033? Played a couple hours so far and it just seems like a kinda bland shooter :/

Legitimate question: has there been a dramatic increase in Origin users since EA ceased to release their news games on Steam? How have the sequels sold compared to their predecessors that are available on Steam? Are there any metrics at all?

I have Origin installed on this PC and the only thing that happened when EA stopped releasing games on Steam is I stopped buying their games.

maneil99

Legitimate question: has there been a dramatic increase in Origin users since EA ceased to release their news games on Steam? How have the sequels sold compared to their predecessors that are available on Steam? Are there any metrics at all?

I have Origin installed on this PC and the only thing that happened when EA stopped releasing games on Steam is I stopped buying their games.

Sim City, BF 3 and BF4 all sold amazingly well,

bronson

They jumped from 30 to 50 million users in less than a year. A lot of that is their mobile expansion, and it's unclear whether that counts console players registering while playing EA games. So yeah, they have gone up a lot, but it's unclear as to how much stuff like Mass Effect 3 and Battlefield 4 have contributed.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Since it was on sale and a lot of my friends were playing it, I decided to try out Defender Quest. The game is a surprisingly deep tower defense game, and was a lot of fun to play. I sat down to my quest, and suddenly 3 hours are gone from my life.

The game is heavy on story, but also contains a lot of unlockables gained from redo-ing missions at higher difficulties. Steam says I got about 75% through the main quest line, and have obtained about 50% of the "extra stuff".

Some people have complained that the game is too "grindy", but it's possible to open the accessibility menu and tweak the game to your personal liking. I put the "experience gained" at +300% and removed the death penalty. It made the game a little easy, honestly, but I didn't care. I'd rather only play through each level 1-3 times (to get the unlockables) rather than have to grind through the levels over and over again.

If you like tower defense games at all, you owe it to yourself to pick this up for 90% off.

Since it was on sale and a lot of my friends were playing it, I decided to try out Defender Quest. The game is a surprisingly deep tower defense game, and was a lot of fun to play. I sat down to my quest, and suddenly 3 hours are gone from my life.

The game is heavy on story, but also contains a lot of unlockables gained from redo-ing missions at higher difficulties. Steam says I got about 75% through the main quest line, and have obtained about 50% of the "extra stuff".

Some people have complained that the game is too "grindy", but it's possible to open the accessibility menu and tweak the game to your personal liking. I put the "experience gained" at +300% and removed the death penalty. It made the game a little easy, honestly, but I didn't care. I'd rather only play through each level 1-3 times (to get the unlockables) rather than have to grind through the levels over and over again.

If you like tower defense games at all, you owe it to yourself to pick this up for 90% off.
Thanks for the impressions, I bought it with cards money and will definitely play it once I finish Trine 2 goblin menace and Sniper ghost warrior.

They jumped from 30 to 50 million users in less than a year. A lot of that is their mobile expansion, and it's unclear whether that counts console players registering while playing EA games. So yeah, they have gone up a lot, but it's unclear as to how much stuff like Mass Effect 3 and Battlefield 4 have contributed.

If that total figure for the Origin userbase is counting console and mobile users then I'm not sure of what to think.

Sim City, BF 3 and BF4 all sold amazingly well,

The next Sim City is gonna do soooo well.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Is the DS4 now easy to use on Win 8.1? Like X360 easy to use?

Tizoc

Team Fortress shows more options for 'filtering' I see Bilinear and Tri-linear or some such and then some more choices. As my graphics card is pretty powerful which of these should I use for better visual output?

Also how do i start getting into the Hat business?

Thorgal

So i am currently playing Sherlock Holmes : testament of SH. and i am quite enjoying it .

Any opinions on what games are also great in this series ?

Scipius

Team Fortress shows more options for 'filtering' I see Bilinear and Tri-linear or some such and then some more choices. As my graphics card is pretty powerful which of these should I use for better visual output?

Also how do i start getting into the Hat business?

For anisotropic filtering, just pick the highest X value (should be 16X for TF2). The performance impact should be small in most cases.

Kabouter

Playing Grand Strategy Games with a controller must be the apocalyptic future painted on most movies.

I don't know, I think something like EU4 could work with a controller if they'd just bother to make the interface usable, because it's just tiny now, making the TV and the distance most people sit from it as much the problem as the means of control. Worse still is if you have a super high-res screen, friend of mine has a laptop with 3200*1800 resolution and can't see shit unless he runs the game at a quarter of the resolution (1600*900). The only real problem with that is that the cursor also becomes four times as large for some reason, blocking out some tooltips hahah.

Caerith

I don't know, I think something like EU4 could work with a controller if they'd just bother to make the interface usable, because it's just tiny now, making the TV and the distance most people sit from it as much the problem as the means of control. Worse still is if you have a super high-res screen, friend of mine has a laptop with 3200*1800 resolution and can't see shit unless he runs the game at a quarter of the resolution (1600*900). The only real problem with that is that the cursor also becomes four times as large for some reason, blocking out some tooltips hahah.

This is a problem with lots of games.

The Banner Saga was quite good, had a free day and found myself playing through it in a few sittings. I've always had a soft spot for the Oregon Tale so having those overworld elements mixed in with decent combat and a nicely built world made for a good time. Really were some tough decisions to be made as well, although there were a few times where reloading reveals some seams in their branching but it's well-done for the most part. One of the main soldiers I used throughout can die 30 minutes into the game and there are similar situations throughout that keep you on your toes. Is a shame about the bizarrely sudden ending. I knew this was the first part of a series but I was still expecting some form of resolution. Still, for the limited budget it's amazing how well it turned out. Really looking forward to the rest of the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom