• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

How's Octodad if played with a controller? Using a mouse was irritating especially when I had to swipe in a direction.

Deques

I can build a protective blockade using my Saoirse avatars.

A blockade of Saoirse avatars?
It can even block against this mob?
Simpsons-Angry-Mob.png

Alright, kids, the launch week sale is over and I still don't see nearly enough people in my friends list playing this, so I've decided to do a little Octodad giveaway today (along with some other stuff I had sitting around in my inventory.)

FEAST UPON THIS, LAND DWELLERS

Thank you very much for Rogue Legacy. I've heard lots of good things from the Steam threads.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
nvm, false information, wish I could delete my own posts.

Man, you're like the greatest distant relative ever now.

I don't know how often they send out invites, but most of my friends got in within a few days. They don't always send out emails, so join the group, the steam beta, and keep track of the family tab in your settings window.

Invites went out regularly between late September and ~mid October but it seems none have been handed out since. I'd guess Valve is preparing to open the beta up.

I never got an invite and I don't use the beta client, but I've had access to family sharing for a few months at least.

It doesn't work for me at all. I am sharing games with a friend, and she's sharing with me, but I can't see her games at all. I had downloaded and installed Gone Home, and Steam showed me that game and that game alone when it removed sharing. [FRIEND]'S GAMES, it said, with only Gone Home. Double click, I get sent to Steam store. BUY THIS.

Frustrated. Want to try with someone else.

EDIT: I realize that's not what you wanted. Been meaning to say something in here for a while.

Cheers gents. @Nabs: lol, yes. Figured some family could benefit :p

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Here is 1953 from my groupees bundle, again, I apologize for winning it from Da Dreadlord tonight before knowing it was from the groupees bundle :(

ModBot said:
Instructions for Rhaknar:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Aerena -- MB-901791974BA46CD0 - Taken by nightstorm. 1 entrants total.
Interstellar Marines -- MB-887FCF9F39DC932B - Taken by Atraveller. 3 entrants total.
1953 -- MB-55071E9781BD15B2 - Taken by Coldsun. 3 entrants total.

t1391762803z1.png

Arthea

yesterday finished first episode of the Wolf among us and started second one.
It doesn't feel must about choices, when you can't even question the suspect you chose at the end of episode one but instead are going after those you dismissed back then *sighs*
Maybe I'm just too demanding or something.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
yesterday finished first episode of the Wolf among us and started second one.
It doesn't feel must about choices, when you can't even question the suspect you chose at the end of episode one but instead are going after those you dismissed back then *sighs*
Maybe I'm just too demanding or something.

think of it as ...interactive storytelling instead of adventure game

Cth

Ok, cold medicine is finally starting to kick in.. think it's time to head to bed..

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Aerena -- MB-482EE8A7ECE0570A - Taken by ricochetguro. 2 entrants total.

t1391772928z1.png

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
If you bought the Need for Speed Pack in the past you now own Burnout Paradise:

about 13 hours ago Changed name Need for Speed Pack - June 2011 › EA Racing Pack
about 13 hours ago Added Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box to the package

I'm surprised EA remembers how to add things to Steam subs. :p

I just notice the SteamOS+Linux tab on the front page. Is that brand new or has it been there since SteamOS went into beta?

Brand new.

Edit: Well, to clarify, the SteamOS component is new; previously it was just a Linux tab.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
It doesn't work for me at all. I am sharing games with a friend, and she's sharing with me, but I can't see her games at all. I had downloaded and installed Gone Home, and Steam showed me that game and that game alone when it removed sharing. [FRIEND]'S GAMES, it said, with only Gone Home. Double click, I get sent to Steam store. BUY THIS.

Frustrated. Want to try with someone else.

EDIT: I realize that's not what you wanted. Been meaning to say something in here for a while.

For it to work, you both have to participate in the beta, and you each have to log in to each others system and authorize family sharing on it.

So it takes a bit of trust for this to work, unless you're really in a family or live close by. :p

For somebody. I'd say it isn't a very good game but I don't want to be Mr Negative (I thought it would be an atmospheric experience but it is a clunky adventure game...oops). So umm, find out for yourself...

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

1953 KGB -- MB-3BFA44119A2B18F9 - Taken by Mavromatis

I'm in the beta and using it with my sister which has some bundle games that I own too. The detail I found is that one person can play a game on a shared library in total. You can't play games from the same library at the same time.

For somebody. I'd say it isn't a very good game but I don't want to be Mr Negative (I thought it would be an atmospheric experience but it is a clunky adventure game...oops). So umm, find out for yourself...

Thank you toddhunter!

EdmondD

Thank you crimsonheadGCN for Interstellar Marines!

I still have an Elder Scrolls Online beta key available. PM me if you want it.

PriitV

Reading the Hawken Steam announcement thread on their forums.. irrational steam hate threads are os much fun to scroll through.

Kuroyume

Banned
Two questions:

1) Did anyone else get a giftable copy of Aerena with their purchase from groupees?

2) Where are these intersteller giveaways coming from? A bundle? Is it cheap somewhere?

JaseC

To the url = /id/profile/games?tab=all

On my main profile page I'm getting less than on the steam app.

Ah, in that case the explanation is a simple one: The All Games tab mistakenly includes some DLC (e.g. CivV's Brave New World).

Super late edit: Oh, and F2P games you've played (although Wizardy Online isn't showing up for me for some reason).

Two questions:

1) Did anyone else get a giftable copy of Aerena with their purchase from groupees?

Yeah, all copies of Aerena come with a spare.

2) Where are these intersteller giveaways coming from? A bundle? Is it cheap somewhere?

http://www.indiegala.com/ You essentially get three copies of the game:

- Standard edition (included in the bundle)
- Spearhead Edition (included in the bundle)
- Standard edition (bonus gift copy included with the Spearhead Edition)

Arthea

Two questions:

Aerena comes with giftable copy, yes
Interstellar Marines are in this bundle (3 games in one, one in each tier plus giftable one)
http://www.indiegala.com/

edited: beaten by Jasec to pulp. I should know better by now (><)

JaseC

edited: beaten by Jasec to pulp. I should know better by now (><)

I have my moments but usually I'm the slow one, haha.

Edit: What's the go with the Amnesa Fortnight bundle? Considering the Amnesia Fortnight New sub I'm guessing you get a Steam key for it immediately, but has there been any word regarding whether or not the 2014 prototypes and the Pendleton Ward prototype will also come with Steam keys when they're released?

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I waited way too long to jump on the Amnesia Fortnight humble. The average just keeps going up and up. I'm in for the lower tier for now, put my votes in but will wait to see if the Pen Ward tier drops.

JaseC

I waited way too long to jump on the Amnesia Fortnight humble. The average just keeps going up and up. I'm in for the lower tier for now, put my votes in but will wait to see if the Pen Ward tier drops.

The average has gone down a little. It was somewhere north of $9 when I checked earlier today and it's now $7.50.

Atomski

Reading the Hawken Steam announcement thread on their forums.. irrational steam hate threads are os much fun to scroll through.

I love how people complain that Steam is DRM.. yet the game is always online, wtf does it matter??

Being on Steam will do wonders for the game really. I will probably start playing again with a much more active playerbase.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
The average has gone down a little. It was somewhere north of $9 when I checked earlier today and it's now $7.50.

Hmm, that's good to know. It was around $4.50 when I first saw it, but I had to go out, saw it sail past $6 and keep going up. If it's on the way down I'll probably jump in if it gets back down to $5-6. The documentary stuff is worth it anyway, and I really don't have a problem with sending a little money Double Fine's way after getting that inside view.

PriitV

I love how people complain that Steam is DRM.. yet the game is always online, wtf does it matter??

Being on Steam will do wonders for the game really. I will probably start playing again with a much more active playerbase.

Some people compared Steam to Starforce DRM, some cite that their game performance drops by a tenfold when using steam... I can't take those people seriously.

JaseC

Getting into discussions with people who like GOG but loathe Steam because "it's DRM" tends is always interesting. In some cases people learn something new when it's explained that there are DRM-free games on Steam, which is great, but every now and then, when you're dealing with the more stubborn, the mental gymnastics sometimes come into play when they're asked, "Can you delineate the distinction that should be made between signing into a website to download your DRM-free GOG games and signing into a client to download your DRM-free Steam games?"

Edit: Lego: The Movie: The Game: The Movie: The Game: The Movie: The Game: The Film: The Videogame should pop up on Steam today.

Arthea

Getting into discussions with people who like GOG but loathe Steam because "it's DRM" tends to be interesting. In some cases people learn something new when it's explained that there are DRM-free games on Steam, but every now and then, when you're dealing with the more stubborn, the mental gymnastics sometimes come into play when they're asked, "Can you delineate the distinction that should be made between signing into a website to download your DRM-free GOG games and signing into a client to download your DRM-free Steam games?"

I don't think it makes sense to argue with such people, I was one of them not so long ago, and even if I'm not totally reverted as yet, I do see benefits of steam now. One just have to use it and decide for themselves, and gog is damn amazing, it really is, even if steam users usually don't see, what's so amazing about it.
Firstly it's DRM free, secondly gog is friendly :D
It has nice discounts and even more importantly fair prices for all, what steam still doesn't have, let's be fair.
What steam provides is community, hate it or not, workshop, leaderboards, cards and gaf group, which probably is most important of all! (><)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom