• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Bumping the Saoirse thread, of course!

Edit: By which I mean the actual Saoirse thread and not this thread. ;)

Come to the dark side. Did I say "dark side"? I meant "best side".

JaseC hook a brother up with that magical australian price on Survival Instinct :O

Turfster

People that contributed to the Double Fine Amnesia Fortnight, the 10 finalists have just been chosen. Time to vote again for your top 3 picks before thursday.

Levyne

Banned
ok have gotten to the point where I kind of dread xeno 2's combat

it's not terribly awful but it's very formulaic and most boss fights feel the same, which is kind of disappointing since boss fights in xeno 1 were pretty damn cool

story also got pretty watered down ever since second cd started

it's still no dmc2 but I wouldn't mind this ending soon so I can get on with xeno 3

Something something thunder sword ether arrow 3 stock air -> death.

MOMO >>

I say "something something" because I don't remember the specifics but she's clearly the most powerful in the game. But yeah, once you figure that out a lot of the encounters are the same.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
so, looking at my badges page i was once more reminded how much potential money i could still make (even after i already made a 100$ or so since the start of trading cards)

491 card drops remaining
137 games with drops remaining

but downloading all these games just to farm cards would be insane...

i know about the steam achievement manager and that other method with faking game IDs (anybody has a link how exactly this one worked again?), but i was to scared to use them cause it seems kind of fishy...

i think my question is, is it really 100% save to use above methods? or is there even a slim possibility my account could get in trouble?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Weird that Survival Instinct isn't available in the Brazilian store considering that Telltale's TWD is (thank god it's not the opposite).

Anteater

ok have gotten to the point where I kind of dread xeno 2's combat

it's not terribly awful but it's very formulaic and most boss fights feel the same, which is kind of disappointing since boss fights in xeno 1 were pretty damn cool

story also got pretty watered down ever since second cd started

it's still no dmc2 but I wouldn't mind this ending soon so I can get on with xeno 3

it actually reminds me of ff13 for some reason :lol, exploit weak point and juggle

zkylon

zkylewd
Something something thunder sword ether arrow 3 stock air -> death.

MOMO >>

I say "something something" because I don't remember the specifics but she's clearly the most powerful in the game. But yeah, once you figure that out a lot of the encounters are the same.
essentially

I've been using kos-mos, shion and jr. mostly because momo in a swimsuit kind of creeps me out

my general strategy is to throw quick on the damage dealers (kos-mos and jr.), stock up, thunder sword and kos-mos unleash into boost chain. dunno about that ether arrow thing, but this been pretty effective so far.

I dunno, it's still kind of fun, the bigger problem being that as a whole the story's gotten pretty derivative after second cd. like first cd was awesome, learning about jr.'s and gaignum and albedo's past in weird inception-like sequences was pretty great.

it actually reminds me of ff13 for some reason :lol, exploit weak point and juggle
I guess that's not a compliment :p

haven't really played ff13, still trying to make room for finally beating 12 in my head but that tomolo chick or however she was called just ughhh I hate her. and I don't feel too fondly about vaan either

Levyne

Banned
I've been using kos-mos, shion and jr. mostly because momo in a swimsuit kind of creeps me out.

:lol

Yeah, the URTV sub-plot is much more interesting than a lot of the other stuff in the game. part of the reason I am actually fond of Episode 2, since it has a larger focus on them.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
i know about the steam achievement manager and that other method with faking game IDs (anybody has a link how exactly this one worked again?)

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=100156442#post100156442

Edit: I linked to the wrong post but there's a link to the trick in it.

i think my question is, is it really 100% save to use above methods? or is there even a slim possibility my account could get in trouble?

Well, theoretically, SAM could lead to trouble if Valve decides to crack down on achievement abusers, but since you're not using it to unlock achievements, you're fine.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell

zkylon

zkylewd
:lol

Yeah, the URTV sub-plot is much more interesting than a lot of the other stuff in the game. part of the reason I am actually fond of Episode 2, since it has a larger focus on them.
and it's like, you cannot not use the swimsuits, first they make everything hilarious and second they're op as fuck

I really miss the database btw, urtvs, u-do, ormus and whatnot, too much random shit thrown about that I forget

and what kind of name is febronia lol

AHA-Lambda

Urgh, ARMA 3 I give up on you! >_<

At best it's a really slow and uninteresting fps, and at it's worst it's just so bloody obtuse I have no idea what I am supposed to be doing, I give up.

£16.50 wasted, don't know what I expected from it as it is a simulator, but I was intrigued and damn my inability to resist a bargain >_>

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
What are the point of achievements anyway? Do they get you anything if you earn enough of them? I've just been doing them for fun, and assumed they were just there for completionists' sake.

Sajjaja

At best it's a really slow and uninteresting fps, and at it's worst it's just so bloody obtuse I have no idea what I am supposed to be doing, I give up.

£16.50 wasted, don't know what I expected from it as it is a simulator, but I was intrigued and damn my inability to resist a bargain >_>

It seems like one of those games that would be fun if you had a group of people to play with.

The Arma series is one of the best things PC gaming has brought forth so that's a terrible shame. Not sure how it can be considered "uninteresting" at the very least. The squad and movement mechanics are something no other game does and it doesn't play like other FPS games. Hell, play it in third person :p The tutorials in the main menu do a decent enough job explaining the mechanics.

Then again I've been playing the series since Operation Flashpoint so I obviously know how everything works at this point. It's very much worth putting some effort into though. Nothing else in gaming comes close to what Arma achieves in its best moments. Loading up a mission with helicopters fighting in the sky as a ground war in the dozens wages amongst an old town is incredible. I like dropping parachuters into the water as well, so you can see tracer rounds firing at the skies. Playing as them is fun as well as you have to avoid being shot on the approach to the beach and then actually make it to cover :D Of course you can also do hundreds of units but at some point your computer will die.

In any case, incredible series worth putting a tad bit of effort into. Really not all that obtuse and the amount of freedom it gives you is worth the tiny bit of pain.

HoosTrax

What are the point of achievements anyway? Do they get you anything if you earn enough of them? I've just been doing them for fun, and assumed they were just there for completionists' sake.
Goals to work towards. Some people like to act all high and mighty over them, and their inclusion in modern games, but you could just as easily ask why old-school arcade games had High Score tables with player initials.

(that's not to say there aren't some stupid achievements out there, but in general, I appreciate their inclusion)

zkylon

zkylewd
had 4.99 in my wallet, went ahead and got jagged alliance 2

seems like something I'd like and something I should've played

back to 0, gotta farm me more cards

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The beta builds of Anno 1404 and Dawn of Discovery were updated again. C'mon Ubi, flip the switch on Venice already! ;)

nexen

had 4.99 in my wallet, went ahead and got jagged alliance 2

seems like something I'd like and something I should've played

back to 0, gotta farm me more cards
If you like turn based strategy ala original X-Com, then you have made a wise decision.

GuardsmanGreg

Neo Member
So I Beat Guacamelee! and I figured i'd give my impressions here. Let me preface this by once again saying thank you to Dupy.

Alright, so Guacamelee! is a Metroidvania set in Mexico. It draws heavily from its setting, which adds much to the game. The main character, Juan, for example, is a luchador (Or Johnny Bravo if you're like me and downloaded that skin from the Steam Workshop. Either/or is pretty damn great). The Soundtrack for the most part sounds like a Mariachi band which is pretty awesome. The graphics are simple but effective, making the whole game look like a Saturday Morning Cartoon. The memes, which annoyed some people understandably, are inoffensive enough to either chuckle at or ignore entirely. Oddly enough, they didn't annoy me nearly as much as I thought they would which is surprising to me. Plus the game references such superb titles as Grim Fandango, Castle Crashers, and Metroid so not all of its references are internet lowest-common-denominators. Overall, on the presentation front, Guacamelee! backs its game up and then some. If the game played somewhat poorly, I would forgive it because of the colorful world.

But it's a Metroidvania, and a damn fine one at that. The Gameplay is just as good as the presentation. The melee combat feels just right, juggling enemies in the air is always satisfying and dodging in and out of enemies' attacks then countering em' with an uppercut is immensely satisfying. The throws also feel powerful, with the Piledriver sticking out in particular. Exploration is rarely a chore as it's always fun to go back and revisit old areas you couldn't access without powers you now have. Platforming is difficult but fair, and feels rewarding as you tackle it. Guacamelee's gameplay is stellar and there's not much I would change on that front.

What I would change, however, is the difficulty curve which occurs on the second to last boss and keeps going until the end of the game. The boss is able to cancel out of your combos, which is kind of annoying but I guess I can understand why they kept it that way; Juggling him like a Tekken combo would be cheesy I suppose and make the fight a bit too easy. I'd be fine with him canceling if his moves didn't take priority over mine, however; I ended up taking damage I thought I wouldn't have due to thinking an uppercut, which normally interrupts most of an enemy's offense, would interrupt a few of his attacks. The final area is way too damn hard too. I think I spent an hour alone in there. The platforming is tedious, and the final bossfight is straight up cheesy. I can't tell you how many times I ended up not doing any damage due to his shield recharging mid-move. You also have a huge risk of taking unnecessary damage due to having to be in melee range to break all of his shields. Plus there's no La Parka costume. What the hell, man. I wanted a La Parka costume! I suppose the Johnny Bravo one makes up for this.

Overall, I enjoyed Guacamelee! The last parts of the game may be annoying, but everything before that is an absolute joyride. It's long enough to satisfy and short enough to not overstay its welcome.

zkylon

zkylewd
If you like turn based strategy ala original X-Com, then you have made a wise decision.

I think I like the idea of making and managing a team and taking on missions and such than the actual combat

like something like mount & blade or something

nexen

I finished Splinter Cell: Blacklist.

It was very good.

Some of the mission locations were beyond stupid
How the name of fuck did you sneak a giant C-130 into Tehran? Or get Sam into Gitmo as a prisoner and Briggs as a screw in a few hours? Really?
and the overall plot was ... meh.
But the stealthy sneaky was top-notch and every few hours I'd pull off something that made me feel like an ultimate bad ass.
Graphics are really nice too. Also some of the best facial mo-cap I've seen, if not technically then definitely artistically. You get a very solid impression of each character's personalities as you watch them interact in the cut scenes.
I mostly played as 'panther' and I completely ignored gadgets. I also barely used the execute mechanic, which I think should be removed from the game completely. If you can meet the game halfway it is a hell of a fun ride.

I think I like the idea of making and managing a team and taking on missions and such than the actual combat

like something like mount & blade or something
The tactical combat is far and away the best part of JA2. All the rules feel realistic and each battle unfolds in a very immersive, believable way.

Nabs

Changelog is here

BgI9SBwCUAAxlL2.jpg:large

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Goals to work towards. Some people like to act all high and mighty over them, and their inclusion in modern games, but you could just as easily ask why old-school arcade games had High Score tables with player initials.

(that's not to say there aren't some stupid achievements out there, but in general, I appreciate their inclusion)
Yeah, there's plenty of stuff in older games that are kind of like achievements, like titles for collecting every item or encountering every monster, which I went for all the time assuming I liked the game enough. The only thing I'm peeved about is the fact that things that used to be free are just DLC now, like unlockable costumes or sidequests. I don't ever buy DLC, so yeah, I miss out there.

On an unrelated note, I've actually been trying to avoid games with achievements like the plague right now, because I'm the type to go for every achievement unless I straight up hate the game. I need my backlog to be less daunting than it already is. D:

so, looking at my badges page i was once more reminded how much potential money i could still make (even after i already made a 100$ or so since the start of trading cards)

but downloading all these games just to farm cards would be insane...

i know about the steam achievement manager and that other method with faking game IDs (anybody has a link how exactly this one worked again?), but i was to scared to use them cause it seems kind of fishy...

SAM is safe, it's how I've gotten just about all my cards.

e-peen. I'll echo what Hoos said though, I appreciate them being there and gives you something work towards especially if you love the game and want to more than just 'story' stuff.

But mainly, e-peen.

Levyne

Banned
I used to go for every achievement in every game I liked, but just don't have the time anymore. Plus my game interest has actually broadened so there's so many games I want to try and want to wrap up one to get to the next.

I still like to get them in RPG type games (eastern or western) because those achievements are more tied to doing sidequests, getting the best weapons, etc, rather than doing the missions on the hardest difficulty or doing more random things like hit three enemies with a grenade at once or getting the maximum possible combo score or whatever. Basically, if I ever feel like I am doing the achievements just to check them off, I try to catch myself and move on. In RPGs and other games I really like, I find that I want to do the achievement content anyways.

sprinkles

Have I told you about a great quirky game 99 spirits? It has unique combat, which can drive you crazy if you not careful or perceptive, it's rather long for an indie game and teaches you some great adventuring tips!
What's even more important it's on sale -75%, for the first time, I think, right here
http://www.shinyloot.com/99-spirits?aid=c0bb80b263632ad2a91dfd293bb6f88a

you get DRM free version and a steam key too.
Thanks for the tip, I was waiting for that game to go on a sale.

The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct comes with the Walker Execution Pack DLC I believe that it was only available when you pre-ordered it, anyways it comes with the game!

Y'know, I'm tempted to ask JaseC for the hookup on Survival Instinct.
And at the sametime, I'm a bit hesitant to even bother with it. :lol

Amazing, I think he fixed the only major problem Spelunky ever had.

The terrible hud that blocked things?
I'm psyched, that looks amazing.

--

Speaking of Spelunky -- those shopkeepers... holy fuck. I watched one the other day get eaten by a man eating plant, bust out of it and destroy it and STILL take 3 shotgun blasts to drop. They're ridiculous.

Edit: Apparently the Amnesia Fortnight finalists are out. At least Project Xing made it.

AHA-Lambda

Thought I'd ask here as well as having a thread, but has anyone got good recommendations for mice and keyboards?

Looking to get a good set of gaming keyboard and mouse, what's the best I can get? Looking at around the £50 range each.

Also, if possible, cos I see gaf rave about them, can anyone highlight if the keyboard is a mechanical keyboard?

Thanks guys :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom