• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I was going to ask about this the other day -- I was thinking about it... how many games support 2.35 aspect ratio without black bars or stretching? It can't be too many, can it?

Those screens were awesome though.

More than you would think. It's a good fit for third person games. The Dead Space trilogy supports it flawlessly due to the way they treat hud elements and it's a neat experience because of how movie-esque the games are.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I've done a bit of digging and have ascertained that the only JP-specific retail apps that are actually being used are:

- Dead Island: Riptide (~$60)
- FEAR 2 (~$51)
- Homefront (~$48)
- Metro: Last Light (~$65; digital version)
- Risen 2 (~$59)

Total: ~$283 (excluding shipping on four).

FloatOn

The ending of the DLC was definitely easier to process than the base game. That being said, I would LOVE for them to take pt. 2 back to Columbia. Wishful thinking I'm guessing.

I refuse to play the bioshock infinite dlc for reasons of them continuing to milk the sucess of the first game. I was done with rapture after bio2, which isn't to say I didn't appreciate that moment in infinite, it's just that they really could do so many more things with what they set up with columbia. I want more fitzroy and lutece

HoosTrax

K, question, what is the "mouse smoothing" option in a lot of games supposed to do? Because in almost all cases, I feel like it actually makes my mouse motion feel less natural and more jerky.

In general, it seems like turning down mouse sensitivity and disabling mouse smoothing works best for me. (Using a Logitech G9X)

Just a PC-related thing that's been nagging at the back of my mind for a while.

Caerith

K, question, what is the "mouse smoothing" option in a lot of games supposed to do? Because in almost all cases, I feel like it actually makes my mouse motion feel less natural and more jerky.

In general, it seems like turning down mouse sensitivity and disabling mouse smoothing works best for me. (Using a Logitech G9X)

Just a PC-related thing that's been nagging at the back of my mind for a while.

Mouse smoothing and mouse acceleration both make distance moved a factor of how fast you move your mouse, not just how far you move it. Whereas acceleration is faster movement = more distance, smoothing makes it so faster movement = less distance.

It's the same price on Steam, which doesn't answer your question.

HoosTrax

It's a little crash-prone at the moment, but overall, it's a solid TD game. I actually enjoyed it more than the regular Sanctum games because the tedious build phase is streamlined.

Most of the maps are identical in structure to ones from the FPS version of Sanctum. Since you're playing from an overhead view instead of being on the actual playfield, they've changed some of the game mechanics, like giving you castable spells to replace the FPS part. The game moves at a much faster pace than FPS Sanctum since you can quickly lay out your defenses and you can fast forward (like in Defense Grid).

Tellaerin

It's the same price on Steam, which doesn't answer your question.

It doesn't, sadly, but I appreciate it anyway. That means I can pick it up with card money.

It's a little crash-prone at the moment, but overall, it's a solid TD game. I actually enjoyed it more than the regular Sanctum games because the tedious build phase is streamlined.

Most of the maps are identical in structure to ones from the FPS version of Sanctum. Since you're playing from an overhead view instead of being on the actual playfield, they've changed some of the game mechanics, like giving you castable spells to replace the FPS part. The game moves at a much faster pace than FPS Sanctum since you can quickly lay out your defenses and you can fast forward (like in Defense Grid).

Thanks for the impressions! Much appreciated. : )

Grief.exe

I love this quote from the Kingdom Come: Deliverance blog

Its the first person open-world RPG on Kickstarter right now.

Today, the world has gone crazy. Even simple short linear games are developed by hundreds of people and sometimes I really don’t have a clue what all these people are doing. You simply don’t need 300 people and 60 million dollars to make a 5 hour long corridor shooter with 5 types of weapons and 10 levels with established technology.

http://kingdomcomerpg.com/?p=62#more-62

JaseC

image.php

:p

Grief.exe

While i agree and am willing to post burn and Jack Nicholson yes gifs they probably should deliver first on their game before making statements like this.

Was posted 2 years ago well before the thought of Kickstarter or crowd funding even came up.

JaseC

The best thing about living in Australia is the several ISP-ran Steam content servers. Including those run by state internet exchange companies (one each in WA, Victoria and Queensland) there are about a dozen all up.

Volimar

The best thing about living in Australia is the several ISP-ran Steam content servers. Including those ran by state internet exchange companies (one each in WA, Victoria and Queensland) there are about a dozen all up.

Really? That's the BEST thing about Australia? At least you've got your priorities straight.

Dr Dogg

More than you would think. It's a good fit for third person games. The Dead Space trilogy supports it flawlessly due to the way they treat hud elements and it's a neat experience because of how movie-esque the games are.

Oh, I got this working earlier.
Remember Me
12165995933_994e8937f7_o.png

Turns out the FOV is set by default to -vert and not +hori hence why it would crop the image instead of scaling it.

Just a simple .ini fix in ExampleEngine.ini:-
Change AspectRatioAxisConstraint=AspectRatio_MaintainXFOV to AspectRatioAxisConstraint=AspectRatio_MaintainYFOV

This works for a few other UE3 games as well like Enslaved.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Oh, I got this working earlier.

Turns out the FOV is set by default to -vert and not +hori hence why it would crop the image instead of scaling it.

Just a simple .ini fix in ExampleEngine.ini:-
Change AspectRatioAxisConstraint=AspectRatio_MaintainXFOV to AspectRatioAxisConstraint=AspectRatio_MaintainYFOV

This works for a few other UE3 games as well like Enslaved.
Nice find!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Grand Theft Auto Vice City Steam -- MB-3F36A9CA64DDDCCB - Taken by jmizzal

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

LA Noire -- MB-1E86885B2F146FD2 - Taken by adriano999

THis is a key I've had laying around on Amazon for months. If it doesn't work then I sure do apologize.

JaseC

THis is a key I've had laying around on Amazon for months. If it doesn't work then I sure do apologize.

Ah, thanks for reminding me about the C&C Ultimate Collection key that I bought from Amazon a million months ago but still haven't redeemed on Origin.

JaseC

Bah, I can't add Loadout's Absolute Badass Pack to my library because the DLC is set to be ignored. I'm guessing Edge of Reality will ask Valve to bin the closed beta keys once the game has been released so I'll wait until then before submitting a ticket. Rekoil activated just fine, though (I was missing the pre-purchase DLC, whatever it is).

zkylon

zkylewd
Xenosaga? Are you guys talking about a game by mobile developer King.com?

lol

Was there even gameplay for that first 11?

uhh there's like samples of gameplay more than actual real stuff. like, you walk from cutscene to cutscene, maybe fight one or two dudes with a pre-built party or maybe just walk around an area talking to people, shit like that

I'm actually surprised they threw in a full fledged dungeon all of the sudden with secrets and optional areas and it's actually kinda difficult.

Anustart

I just can't get into Metro 2033. Does it get better after chapter 4 or am I in for more of the same? So far it just seems like ho-hum run of the mill shooter that doesn't really excel at anything.

Caerith

I just can't get into Metro 2033. Does it get better after chapter 4 or am I in for more of the same? So far it just seems like ho-hum run of the mill shooter that doesn't really excel at anything.
I think the appeal to Metro is the atmosphere. I couldn't get into it either, but I intend to try again someday with Russian audio + subtitles and Ranger Mode.

zkylon

zkylewd
ranger mode adds a good amount to the experience, but yeah, you're playing this game for the atmosphere, not for the gunplay or the stealth or anything like that.

if you want that play the infinitely better stalker :3

Levyne

Banned
I hardly remember much from the first Metro game except for the second half there's one part where things get....different. And I ran out of ammo, haha. But seriously, I was legitimately creeped out a bit.

Jusoni

Finally beat Metal Gear Rising. Fun game but maybe I was expecting a little more because of Bayonetta was so awesome. Started straight on hard difficulty, first stages were pretty frustrating, only because I didn't fully understand the parry mechanics. After learning to parry in chapter 3 the rest of the game was a breeze. Final boss was a bit of a letdown, expected more. All in all still a nice game and I plan to beat it on revengeance eventually!

edit, Unskippable credits should be banned by law!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom