• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonno394

Hey GAF I bought this thinking there was a single player component, there isn't, just a multiplayer mode that isn't very well populated.....if anybody wants it please just take it off my hands. I won't be adding it to my library so first come first serve (if ever)

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Shattered Horizon -- MB-80E2E88F73D21B50 - Taken by NingenJanai

Hey GAF I bought this thinking there was a single player component, there isn't, just a multiplayer mode that isn't very well populated.....if anybody wants it please just take it off my hands. I won't be adding it to my library so first come first serve (if ever)

Thanks for shattered horizon.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
You'd play it if it was called Assassin's Creed: Heavy Metal. ;)

Haha, I did actually finish it a few years ago, when the PS3 was my platform of choice and Steam was nothing but a CS launcher. I'd like to play through the PC version some day, but I say that about a lot of games. ;)

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...

Nooooo! I was so close :p

Tizoc

Tch I managed to get far into BL on Hard on the PS3 before I got the save game glitch, while I didn't enjoy the RTS elements much I still ended up liking the game.

JaseC

Hey Jase did you end up flipping that SRIV DLC?

Nah, not just yet. I'm waiting for someone else to go first so I can get an idea of how much people are willing to pay, haha. I've been keeping a somewhat close eye on TF2 Outpost since it was pulled but have yet to see any listings.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
The gameplay isn't that great, so that's understandable.

I've played a bit of the game, I've basically got to the part where you can first go driving around the open world, it's seemed fine so far, but does it change rapidly into the strategy game everyone didn't think it'd be?

Arthea

I've played a bit of the game, I've basically got to the part where you can first go driving around the open world, it's seemed fine so far, but does it change rapidly into the strategy game everyone didn't think it'd be?

Ya, you drive a little around and then get to the mines where you give your minions orders. It's not really THAT bad as people say it is, though.

edited: then again, I'm strategy person for the most part, so may be that's why (><)

Jawmuncher

The strategy game stuff hits you like a bag of bricks that you can never push off.
The most enjoyable part of the game aside from the humor and such is the earlier parts of the game that doesn't have that.

Tenrius

There are GTA-style missions in that open-world and some of those missions (a sizeable portion, but not all of them) are RTS-like.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Hmm, I suppose I should just give it a try and see whether I like what comes up. Never been a huge RTS guy but I may as well see how it all turns out.

FloatOn

I almost beat Trine (only two more levels left) over the course of yesterday but then my mother-in-law came over and we had to entertain her for the better part of the evening.

Today is one of my two weekly school days so this means right after work I head to class. I may finish it off tomorrow depending on homework.

I kind of love smashing out these ~5 hour long games. It's a real confidence booster in tackling the backlog.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I've gotten 4 dollars off the GreenmanGaming data mining thingie. I'm gonna wait for a good sale though or keep milking it for spare change.
I got almost £3 since I joined yesterday. I found out that I missed £0.85 from Hitman Absolution achievements :(
You people actively check it daily to see the achievements you need to do on games to get the rewards?

I was so pissed when the Niddhogg daily showed up and I already had all achievements, so I didn't get any rewards that I never checked them again.

Arthea

You people actively check it daily to see the achievements you need to do on games to get the rewards?

I was so pissed when the Niddhogg daily showed up and I already had all achievements, so I didn't get any rewards that I never checked them again.

wait... if you already have achievements, you get nothing for them?
That doesn't make sense, does it?

Arthea

I read on the greenmangaming blog page that only achievements unlocked on the day the game went up were counted, but I couldn't find that piece of information again.

So I dunno.

Oh that explains why I haven't got so much money!
bummer, if true :(

The_Monk

I just finished Mafia II fellow GAFfers:

G5w808d.png

The above time spent and achievements comes from a playthrough on Medium difficulty. I believe I might missed 10-15 Achievements (such collectibles) and the rest is from the 2 side Stories which are both DLC.

Mafia II is a game that should be played manly for its Story. The pace is great from the very beginning were it tells the Story of your character when you were younger and how you end up doing what you are doing. You start doing little jobs here and there to get some money to pay a debt left by a family member. Right from the start you feel that family is the most important thing but as you go deeper and deeper you realize that it's hard to not involve the ones you care because of your decisions. As you go through the Story you experience a better life with better cars, a better house and most of all, more money, however, the main character wonders if this is what he really wanted to have when you end up doing things you may not feel proud of.

When you start the game it's Winter time. It's cold and it snows a lot. The roads are slippery and covered in snow. After some certain events I won't spoil, you return to the city during Spring time where everything feels more alive. More bright colors, people driving their convertible cars and the streets are finally filled with green grass without any sign of snow. As always, it's great to drive around town when it starts to rain. Feels good. This was a good idea to give you the feeling that time is passing. It's always interesting to see a different season after some time when playing a game.

The visuals are really well done. Facial animations are really good and they made a great job with the details on the characters faces such little scars or others "imperfections". The city feels amazing and things like bridges have great textures and look particulary well done. You can see that there was a big effort on the little details around the city too. Posters, prints and the Marketing about Cars, beer and other products are really well done using the culture from the time like the pin-up style.

There are not many side quests or activities to do as someone might expect from other open games but the Story makes up for it leaving you interested from start to finish. There are however some Collectibles that may extend your play through such the Playboy Magazines which is a nice touch and I'm sure it will take many more effort from players to search for them since they can be more interesting than, say, collecting dog tags or audio logs for completion purposes.

Bottom line, this was a good game with an interesting Story. I had great fun with it but I think it's time to move to the next game on my Backlog. I would honestly recommend this game and if you like the setting then you won't be disappointed to see the work they put in recreating these times paid of. *

Side curiosities:

- Some people requested this game to be banned in Italy due the fact that it could damage the portrait of Italian-Americans.

- It's one of the games that uses the "F" word the most (more than 200 times).

- While there are Playboy magazines to be collected these did not exist in the time the game was occurring (1945 to 1951) only 7 years later in 1953. As for the images from the game itself they are from 1958 to 1968.

As always, apologies for the low level of English/grammar skills.

Alien8

FX Interactive will launch FX Eleven on Steam on 31th, January. This game is known in Spain as FX Fútbol (and I think in Italy as FX Calcio). It's a Football Manager Sim, but it's not as hardcore (for the lack of a better term) as FM series. Its also more suitable for people like me, who would like to play FM but hasn't got much time, or for people who feels a bit overwhelmed for Football Managers complexity. Its not a dumbed down FM, but just a more friendly Sim. Also it mixes the roles of the manager of the team and the president of the club (you can choose the ads, make a new stadium...)

For those who don't know about FX Interactive, it's a small both publisher and developer from Spain. They are well known for selling PC games at retail with very good prices but also with very good editions and packages. The problem is that PC retail gaming doesn't have a great future ahead, so their jump onto steam is an obvious step for them. They are also known for being friendly with their gaming community. I'm happy for them.

Source (in spanish, sorry!)

Some (old) screenshots

The Blog post of the announcement of the promotion says this:

†During the Rewards BETA you'll only be rewarded with GMG credit if you unlock the achievement during the promotional period.

I've been getting the rewards for achievements I already have. Having said that, it also misses some achievements that I earn or doesn't even spot me playing a game for the first time. Still, they're giving me free credit for games so I can't really complain.

JaseC

FX Interactive will launch FX Eleven on Steam on 31th, January. This game is known in Spain as FX Fútbol (and I think in Italy as FX Calcio). It's a Football Manager Sim, but it's not as hardcore (for the lack of a better term) as FM series. Its also more suitable for people like me, who would like to play FM but hasn't got much time, or for people who feels a bit overwhelmed for Football Managers complexity. Its not a dumbed down FM, but just a more friendly Sim. Also it mixes the roles of the manager of the team and the president of the club (you can choose the ads, make a new stadium...)

For those who don't know about FX Interactive, it's a small both publisher and developer from Spain. They are well known for selling PC games at retail with very good prices but also with very good editions and packages. The problem is that PC retail gaming doesn't have a great future ahead, so their jump onto steam is an obvious step for them. They are also known for being friendly with their gaming community. I'm happy for them.

Source (in spanish, sorry!)

Some (old) screenshots

I won't be able to take it seriously as a football sim unless there is a Spanish-specific app. :p

I almost beat Trine (only two more levels left) over the course of yesterday but then my mother-in-law came over and we had to entertain her for the better part of the evening.

Today is one of my two weekly school days so this means right after work I head to class. I may finish it off tomorrow depending on homework.

I kind of love smashing out these ~5 hour long games. It's a real confidence booster in tackling the backlog.

Trine 2 >>>> Trine 1

Just about improves over the first in every facet. I'm assuming you'd play the 2nd next..

Sure! Let me boot up my PC version of 2009's Halo 3: ODST.... oh, wait...
There are signs that Halo trilogy is coming to steam, if Epic really do want to port their games to PC, they would have done it, but since Epic is a console-centric dev now, their games are not going anywhere, might as well give them to someone else.

JaseC

Sure! Let me boot up my PC version of 2007's Halo 3.... oh, wait...

A changenumber leaked through from Halo 3's app listing a couple of months back that was not related to any general backend fiddling Valve had been doing, so it would seem the port is still being worked on to some extent. Having said that, I wouldn't entertain the idea of the PC receiving belated ports of the previous few Gears games until Microsoft announces that it'll be removing GFWL from the PC port of the original and replacing it with Steamworks.

Jawmuncher

I just finished Mafia II fellow GAFfers:

G5w808d.png

The above time spent and achievements comes from a playthrough on Medium difficulty. I believe I might missed 10-15 Achievements (such collectibles) and the rest is from the 2 side Stories which are both DLC.

Mafia II is a game that should be played manly for its Story. The pace is great from the very beginning were it tells the Story of your character when you were younger and how you end up doing what you are doing. You start doing little jobs here and there to get some money to pay a debt left by a family member. Right from the start you feel that family is the most important thing but as you go deeper and deeper you realize that it's hard to not involve the ones you care because of your decisions. As you go through the Story you experience a better life with better cars, a better house and most of all, more money, however, the main character wonders if this is what he really wanted to have when you end up doing things you may not feel proud of.

When you start the game it's Winter time. It's cold and it snows a lot. The roads are slippery and covered in snow. After some certain events I won't spoil, you return to the city during Spring time where everything feels more alive. More bright colors, people driving their convertible cars and the streets are finally filled with green grass without any sign of snow. As always, it's great to drive around town when it starts to rain. Feels good. This was a good idea to give you the feeling that time is passing. It's always interesting to see a different season after some time when playing a game.

The visuals are really well done. Facial animations are really good and they made a great job with the details on the characters faces such little scars or others "imperfections". The city feels amazing and things like bridges have great textures and look particulary well done. You can see that there was a big effort on the little details around the city too. Posters, prints and the Marketing about Cars, beer and other products are really well done using the culture from the time like the pin-up style.

There are not many side quests or activities to do as someone might expect from other open games but the Story makes up for it leaving you interested from start to finish. There are however some Collectibles that may extend your play through such the Playboy Magazines which is a nice touch and I'm sure it will take many more effort from players to search for them since they can be more interesting than, say, collecting dog tags or audio logs for completion purposes.

Bottom line, this was a good game with an interesting Story. I had great fun with it but I think it's time to move to the next game on my Backlog. I would honestly recommend this game and if you like the setting then you won't be disappointed to see the work they put in recreating these times paid of. *

Side curiosities:

- Some people requested this game to be banned in Italy due the fact that it could damage the portrait of Italian-Americans.

- It's one of the games that uses the "F" word the most (more than 200 times).

- While there are Playboy magazines to be collected these did not exist in the time the game was occurring (1945 to 1951) only 7 years later in 1953. As for the images from the game itself they are from 1958 to 1968.

As always, apologies for the low level of English/grammar skills.

Glad you enjoyed it.
Was one of my favorite games I played during my backlog blitz.
Pretty much summed up all my good feelings for it. Also spot on about playing it for the story. It's definitely a game to go in with that mindset rather than a open world game like GTA where you can sand box to your hearts content.

Also those playboy pages are by far some of the best collectibles in gaming.
Not even from a sleaze stand point, just find it fun that even for the wrong time period you can see how shoots were done in the past.

Heh, get in line. I was lucky I got credit for the Bioshock Infinite, Borderlands 2 and Skyrim achievements I got (I think just because they were part of the initial reward offerings), but ever since then I've gotten nothing for stuff I already unlocked. That means Sleeping Dogs, Spec Ops: The Line, Saints Row IV, (most of) Surgeon Simulator 2013, The Stanley Parable, etc., etc.

JaseC

Bohemia has brought another old game to Steam in the form of...

It's 10% off ($4.49) for the next week.

Edit:

40% off ($1.79) for the next week.

FloatOn

Trine 2 >>>> Trine 1

Just about improves over the first in every facet. I'm assuming you'd play the 2nd next..

I actually started Trine 2 with a friend about a year ago. We kind of lost interest for some reason. I remember it being much tougher than what Trine 1 has been puzzle-wise. I'll finish it off soon.

If they made the combat just a bit tighter I think the Trine team would be a really great fit for a 2.5d Castlevania game. Absolutely beautiful games.

Tenrius

How has this year been treating your so far in terms of reducing your backlog (if you like to use this term, I personally don't)? I've had a crazy busy January, but I managed to squeeze two games in. Neither of them was on Steam though: the first one was GTA V (which actually consumed most of my gaming time this month) and the second was SMT: Nocturne (I only had to go through the final portion of the final dungeon, so that didn't take a long time). I think I might finish Arkham Oranges before the end of the month, but I'm not really sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom