• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
except Evil Genius, it's on steam? *mindblown*
somehow I had no idea it was.

I always confuse it with Everyday Genius, which prior to being made available for individual purchase again just recently actually continued to be available, almost in secret, as part of the MumboJumbo Complete Pack. I didn't realise that fun little fact until a mate gifted me said pack during the indie sale last March so whenever I came across a deal on Evil Genuis I would initially be excited, haha.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
How has this year been treating your so far in terms of reducing your backlog (if you like to use this term, I personally don't)? I've had a crazy busy January, but I managed to squeeze two games in. Neither of them was on Steam though: the first one was GTA V (which actually consumed most of my gaming time this month) and the second was SMT: Nocturne (I only had to go through the final portion of the final dungeon, so that didn't take a long time). I think I might finish Arkham Oranges before the end of the month, but I'm not really sure.

My classes started mid-Jan, but the first weeks are always light so I still have a lot of time until things kick in. I managed to beat the 4 remaining Lego games in my collection and wrap up most of my holiday purchases (only have 2 left). I keep a spreadsheet of my game completions and games I intend to beat so it always feels good to see a series like the Lego get cleaned up completely, barring the one game I haven't purchased yet (Clone Wars).

Arthea

How has this year been treating your so far in terms of reducing your backlog (if you like to use this term, I personally don't)? I've had a crazy busy January, but I managed to squeeze two games in. Neither of them was on Steam though: the first one was GTA V (which actually consumed most of my gaming time this month) and the second was SMT: Nocturne (I only had to go through the final portion of the final dungeon, so that didn't take a long time). I think I might finish Arkham Oranges before the end of the month, but I'm not really sure.

I try to reduce my PS3 backlog, steam takes so much time, I haven't played on PS3 in months!
Also I was in mood to finish Reus, and we all know how that went. Why I choose longest games most of the time is beyond me. Must be karma or something.

I thought GTAV was long, and don't even let me star on Nocturne, which is way too long for its own good. Well, even final dungeon! (><)
3 games in a month! you pain me, fellow steamgaffer
sorry Monk, I just had to this time

Ezra2680

I've finished maybe 3-5 games so far, added maybe 20

Arthea

I always confuse it with Everyday Genius, which prior to being made available for individual purchase again just recently actually continued to be available, almost in secret, as part of the MumboJumbo Complete Pack. I didn't realise that fun little fact until a mate gifted me said pack during the indie sale last March so whenever I came across a deal on Evil Genuis I would initially be excited, haha.

Wait, I thought I had this Mumbo Jumbo pack and I have no Everyday Genius!
Mystery?

edited: Starlite seems interesting, only why no cards?! and no achievements! That's seriously underdelivering these days, unless they don't wanna sell it.

Tizoc

I'm actually playing Sleepy Dawgs on my PS3 since I plan on trading it off later on as i already have it as a Plus freebie.
I like it! Main attraction for me is the combat system and setting, Wei Shin is badass too.

Can't wait to relive it via Steam (thanks Xelios!) for dat 60 FPS visual OD goodness~
Someone post that SD car GIF please.

JaseC

NASA's last game on Steam was free, so this disappoints me.

NASA passed on publishing duties this time around, apparently.

Edit:
Wait, I thought I had this Mumbo Jumbo pack and I have no Everyday Genius!
Mystery?

There are were two MumboJumbo packs, one less comprehensive than the other. What does your account history say?

edited: Starlite seems interesting, only why no cards?! and no achievements! That's seriously underdelivering these days, unless they don't wanna sell it.

It's 20 minutes long. ;)

Nabs

I'm actually playing Sleepy Dawgs on my PS3 since I plan on trading it off later on as i already have it as a Plus freebie.
I like it! Main attraction for me is the combat system and setting, Wei Shin is badass too.

Can't wait to relive it via Steam (thanks Xelios!) for dat 60 FPS visual OD goodness~
Someone post that SD car GIF please.

Are you slumming through that version for trophies or something? There's no reason to play that over the PC version, especially with this.

Grief.exe

Are you slumming through that version for trophies or something? There's no reason to play that over the PC version, especially with this.

And it can be had for less than a PS+ Subscription.

So Microsoft bought the Gears of War franchise from Epic.

Now we'll never see new Gears games on PC/Steam.

Not necessarily. Epic just won't be doing the port now.

Good question to begin asking Microsoft, 'Now that you fully own the IP, what will happen to the iteration marred by GFWL?'

I've played a bit of the game, I've basically got to the part where you can first go driving around the open world, it's seemed fine so far, but does it change rapidly into the strategy game everyone didn't think it'd be?

You'll know when it happens; it's pretty abrupt. I remember loving the first few hours of Brutal Legend. I thought a character-action game with some limited "squad control" stuff was brilliant, and the limited squad/goon control actually added a lot to the stale "character action / beat 'em up" genre. The controls were kind of loose and janky, but the world was so awesome I didn't care.

It almost could have worked too; if they kept the RTS at the level of Warharmmer 40K: Dawn of War, for example. Very little resource gathering / base management, more about managing a very limited squad of troops in an RTS-ish framework. But instead the game works at cross-purposes; if you're playing it like a brawler you're losing out on the larger RTS war, and if you focus on the RTS war part it's hamstrung by a control scheme and camera that doesn't really lend itself to that style of play.

Dolor

If anyone is interested, I put together a set of arguments as to why I think SteamOS is a good thing (long-term) for PC gamers in this post.

I'm no expert or anything, but all the nay-saying about its current status felt to me like it was unnecessarily myopic when I can easily see a scenario where SteamOS is a viable alternative for quite a few situations 6-24 months down the road.

Deques

I just finished Mafia II fellow GAFfers:

G5w808d.png

There are not many side quests or activities to do as someone might expect from other open games but the Story makes up for it leaving you interested from start to finish. There are however some Collectibles that may extend your play through such the Playboy Magazines which is a nice touch and I'm sure it will take many more effort from players to search for them since they can be more interesting than, say, collecting dog tags or audio logs for completion purposes.

I collected all of the magazines :)
8gX6fQo.jpg

For those lazy bastards who don't want to collect all those magazines by yourself, or for those dirty bastards, here is an album for you
http://imgur.com/a/rRGBI

Tenrius

My classes started mid-Jan, but the first weeks are always light so I still have a lot of time until things kick in. I managed to beat the 4 remaining Lego games in my collection and wrap up most of my holiday purchases (only have 2 left). I keep a spreadsheet of my game completions and games I intend to beat so it always feels good to see a series like the Lego get cleaned up completely, barring the one game I haven't purchased yet (Clone Wars).

I'd like to get some Lego games myself, the only one I have right now is the LotR one. It's pretty good, I guess, played some bits of it in coop with my roommate. Which one is the best in your opinion then?

I try to reduce my PS3 backlog, steam takes so much time, I haven't played on PS3 in months!
Also I was in mood to finish Reus, and we all know how that went. Why I choose longest games most of the time is beyond me. Must be karma or something.

I thought GTAV was long, and don't even let me star on Nocturne, which is way too long for its own good. Well, even final dungeon! (><)
3 games in a month! you pain me, fellow steamgaffer
sorry Monk, I just had to this time

Yeah, Nocturne took about 75 hours in total. Most of that I played prior to this month though and it took only like 3 hours of struggling with my half-dead PS2. Fantastic game, one of my all-time favourites I'd say. As for GTA V, it took about 40 hours and those hours really flew by. Three games in a month is not a lot, by the way — I finished 45 last year and 55 the year before that (that number may be a bit high, as it includes individual episodes of Back to the Future and Sam & Max).

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I'd like to get some Lego games myself, the only one I have right now is the LotR one. It's pretty good, I guess, played some bits of it in coop with my roommate. Which one is the best in your opinion then?

I thought Lego Batman 2 was terrific and would probably recommend that if someone only wanted to play 1 Lego game.

Guys, sleeping dogs has a fuckton of dlc. Can someone tell me which of the dlc is actual gameplay stuff and not golden guns or some other stupid bullshit? Thanks.

The_Monk

Glad you enjoyed it.
Was one of my favorite games I played during my backlog blitz.
Pretty much summed up all my good feelings for it. Also spot on about playing it for the story. It's definitely a game to go in with that mindset rather than a open world game like GTA where you can sand box to your hearts content.

Also those playboy pages are by far some of the best collectibles in gaming.
Not even from a sleaze stand point, just find it fun that even for the wrong time period you can see how shoots were done in the past.

Thanks for reading and I do agree with you, I also found it interesting to see those and how they took those pictures back in the day as well with all the Pin-ups framed decorations we can find inside houses as well as the posters advertising products from the 50's.

How has this year been treating your so far in terms of reducing your backlog (if you like to use this term, I personally don't)?

As always, I'm having a great time clearing my Backlog fellow GAFfer. The important thing is to have fun and not make it feel like work so I just play what I want. I always try to post in the Grief's thread my progression as it feels good to see what games I managed to finish in one Month.

I collected all of the magazines :)
8gX6fQo.jpg

Well done! I only got about half of them and it's funny, you played this game almost one year ago. Gaming is indeed timeless, at least for me. :)

Nah, not just yet. I'm waiting for someone else to go first so I can get an idea of how much people are willing to pay, haha. I've been keeping a somewhat close eye on TF2 Outpost since it was pulled but have yet to see any listings.

Which DLC may this be? The Child's Play?

Tizoc

The_Monk play Sleeping Dogs if you haven't yet, would like to see what you think of it coming from Mafia 2.

gabbo

The monks rifs on Mafia2, spits truth.

I agree with most of this. I disagree however with the depiction of the player character. In terms of disconnect between story and game, either the game was making a much larger statement about the effects of war on soldiers (given the time it came out, that wouldn't shock me), or Vito is simply much more sadistic than Tommy ever was. I never felt like he really cared about dragging people down with him or the killing of so many people. The 'story' pushed that, but his reactions always seemed more of enjoyment or bemusement. The only real exceptions were early on when you're protecting his sister.

Of course the game doesn't give you much choice, it can say Vito is a pacifist and loves kittens and ice cream, but you're going to kill hundreds of thugs anyway because it's all the mechanics let you do. I suppose after Tommy's moralizing, going the other direction it was a needed change of pace.

JaseC

Which DLC may this be? The Child's Play?

The very same. At worst I assume I could flog off my spares for 2 keys a piece, making a small profit in the process (~$1.35 per copy, assuming key prices are hovering around the low-to-mid $2.40 ballpark).

StAidan

I started Contrast yesterday. Definitely would characterize it as a mediocre-to-average game. The little bit of technical jank aside, there seems to be relatively little puzzle-solving involved, and most of the game's length can be attributed to the (optional) search for collectibles between cutscenes.

I'm actually enjoying the game for the most part, though. The atmosphere, voice acting, and general theatrical feel are all points in its favor. Where some games' cutscenes feel somewhat movie-like, Contrast feels more like watching action on a stage. It's kind of cool.

The_Monk

For some reason I always thought this was a really long game (50+ hours) and so have avoided starting it. Seeing that it can be finished over a weekend is encouraging.

You can extend your time or replay the game on a harder difficulty but either way 12-15 hours should be enough for a Normal play through.

The_Monk play Sleeping Dogs if you haven't yet, would like to see what you think of it coming from Mafia 2.

I have! Loved the game and the Story and it's one of those that needs to be played on PC. With Tom Raider getting a Definitive Edition I would be more happy if they could give a Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition with all the DLC for the new consoles. People need to experience this game at 60 FPS and driving at night while raining.

You should check my Screenshots on Steam to grab some Zen inspiration quotes if you care fpr such thing. ;)

I agree with most of this. I disagree however with the depiction of the player character. In terms of disconnect between story and game, either the game was making a much larger statement about the effects of war on soldiers (given the time it came out, that wouldn't shock me), or Vito is simply much more sadistic than Tommy ever was. I never felt like he really cared about dragging people down with him or the killing of so many people. The 'story' pushed that, but his reactions always seemed more of enjoyment or bemusement. The only real exceptions were early on when you're protecting his sister.

Of course the game doesn't give you much choice, it can say Vito is a pacifist and loves kittens and ice cream, but you're going to kill hundreds of thugs anyway because it's all the mechanics let you do. I suppose after Tommy's moralizing, going the other direction it was a needed change of pace.

You make a great valid point. I wish there could be more options on how to deal with the missions. It's indeed very different between killing people in the war and doing that in the middle of a city. Good point also on his sister. I wish there could be more story about "caring about the family" because after some time the sister asks for him to stay away and mention how much he has changed. That moment "got me". I sure wish I could be more kind as the main character and approach missions differently.

Ezra2680

Is there a particular thread about note worthy kick-starter games or do they usually just get their own threads when they are discovered?

JaseC

Is any of the story DLC even compelling content? Or worth buying?

Opinions on Nightmare in North Point are mixed while The Zodiac Tournament is largely considered to be lacklustre due to the short length and heavy focus on, well, fighting in arena-like settings. Year of the Snake was met with positive reactions, though, due it essentially being a microcosm of the game's main campaign rather than an awkward attempt at being its own thing.

Grief.exe

Is there a particular thread about note worthy kick-starter games or do they usually just get their own threads when they are discovered?

They generally get their own threads

If you want to Kickstart something right now, check this game out https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1294225970/kingdom-come-deliverance

Opinions on Nightmare in North Point are mixed while The Zodiac Tournament is largely considered to be lacklustre due to the short length and heavy focus on, well, fighting in arena-like settings. Year of the Snake was met with positive reactions, though, due it essentially being a microcosm of the game's main campaign rather than an awkward attempt at being its own thing.

Thanks for the info Jase.

How will they even make a new Gears game after the ending to 3? Are they gonna pull a Halo 4 and make some ancient evil come or something?

Do we really want another Gears game after Judgement? I loved the series to death and was on board with the idea of a story revolving around Baird instead of Marcus for once... but the feedback regarding that game is generally NOT GOOD.

You have a fair point though, the ending to 3 was pretty FINAL. They'd have to have another prequel/side story or come up with some Halo 4 bs to get the job done.

They already made the prequel (with Baird, of all people), so hell, why not?

Don't hate on Baird.

gabbo

You make a great valid point. I wish there could be more options on how to deal with the missions. It's indeed very different between killing people in the war and doing that in the middle of a city. Good point also on his sister. I wish there could be more story about "caring about the family" because after some time the sister asks for him to stay away and mention how much he has changed. That moment "got me". I sure wish I could be more kind as the main character and approach missions differently.

Agreed wholeheartedly. I wish there had been more interaction with his family, just to even out how he's portrayed in the later half/really give more weight to his sisters comments. You only see her 2 or three times during the whole game, so I didn't 100% buy her reasoning.

Is any of the story DLC even compelling content? Or worth buying?

Depends on how much you enjoy the setting and gameplay. Being a fan, I enjoyed NiN and Zodiac. Haven't gotten through Year of the Snake though. Wait for 80% off sale and pick it up

How something named Year of the Snake can be bad?!

just kidding, I have no idea, started SD 3 times, finished 0 (><)

Fix that. SD is fantastic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom