• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

mannerbot

Curse you, Deep Silver! If it's still up by the time Valve gets around to adding the refund option to unused gift purchases I'll do just that.

I don't see why they'd do that. People can just buy games and store them in their inventories, then if they get buyer's remorse or a steeper discount comes along refund the purchase.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I don't see why they'd do that. People can just buy games and store them in their inventories, then if they get buyer's remorse or a steeper discount comes along refund the purchase.

People can already request refunds on unredeemed gifts -- Valve's just automating this (as well as refunds on unreleased pre-purchases)... to a degree (the items must still be in your inventory, unsent, for the option to be present).

Jawmuncher

So I just realized that I have a 2nd desktop PC that would be perfect for my first foray into upgrading my own computer. I actually had "upgraded" it before but I didn't even know what the hell I threw into it. Was a AMD graphics card and a new PSU. Think when I get back i'll grab a new case, shove all of that computer in there, and mainly just a few things. Probably just the graphics card, ram, and processor. However the thing is running windows XP still. How much of a hassle is it to upgrade to a new operating system? I'm assuming it deletes all your files correct?

Grief.exe

So I just realized that I have a 2nd desktop PC that would be perfect for my first foray into upgrading my own computer. I actually had "upgraded" it before but I didn't even know what the hell I threw into it. Was a AMD graphics card and a new PSU. Think when I get back i'll grab a new case, shove all of that computer in there, and mainly just a few things. Probably just the graphics card, ram, and processor. However the thing is running windows XP still. How much of a hassle is it to upgrade to a new operating system? I'm assuming it deletes all your files correct?

Sounds like a completely new build save the PSU, assuming its still compatible. If you are upgrading the procesor, then you are going to need to get a new mobo as well.

Upgrading to a new OS deletes all of the files, save what you need onto a USB drive then transfer over.

Tizoc

So anything interesting on GMG today?
All I'm seeing is Colonial Marines offer
clint-eastwood-disgusted-gif.gif

JaseC

Upgrading to a new OS deletes all of the files, save what you need onto a USB drive then transfer over.

If he installs Win7/8 without formatting then his existing WinXP files/folders will just be moved to a hidden Windows.old folder, but even so, given the age of the system it'd be a better idea to poke around with a fine-tooth comb to ensure there's nothing important tucked away outside of a default folder.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Mozilla is kinda pissing me off, trying to get the latest version of Enhanced Steam for Firefox approved. They want me to set them up a Steam account for testing the addon. Like seriously, you can't create a Steam account yourself?

Now I have to create a new account, disable Steam Guard, and send them the login instructions. I don't even know if I'm allowed to do that or not.

Turfster

Mozilla is kinda pissing me off, trying to get the latest version of Enhanced Steam for Firefox approved. They want me to set them up a Steam account for testing the addon. Like seriously, you can't create a Steam account yourself?

Now I have to create a new account, disable Steam Guard, and send them the login instructions. I don't even know if I'm allowed to do that or not.

This sounds... needlessly convoluted. Wtf, Mozilla?

How will they even make a new Gears game after the ending to 3? Are they gonna pull a Halo 4 and make some ancient evil come or something?

They'll find a way. Prequel, sequel, spinoff or just go all out, pretend the first games don't exist and start fresh.

But there goes any last hope of GFWL being removed from the PC version of the first game.

The_Monk

@The_Monk- Will do, let me just make sure I added you.

Sure thing!

Agreed wholeheartedly. I wish there had been more interaction with his family, just to even out how he's portrayed in the later half/really give more weight to his sisters comments. You only see her 2 or three times during the whole game, so I didn't 100% buy her reasoning.

And once again I agree. I wonder if the 2 Story related DLC's are worth but I guess I'll skip them.

hmm guess I'll play Mafia 2 next, I kind of like the atmosphere

Sounds like a good idea. ;)

FloatOn

So in slightly related to steam news, mainly thanks to the sega petition and resident evil 4 port. I'm seriously considering selling my recently acquired ps3 (as of september of last year for gta5).

I do still want to play Last of Us and Demon's Souls but it seems like the reason to keep that console around is diminishing. Kind of torn on the whole thing to be honest.

I know I could apply the credit towards a 3ds and probably get more use out of it especially now that I'm in school and get to class about an hour before it starts.... but I don't know.

JaseC

They'll find a way. Prequel, sequel, spinoff or just go all out, pretend the first games don't exist and start fresh.

But there goes any last hope of GFWL being removed from the PC version of the first game.

I wouldn't rule it out just yet.

Edit: Every time Rise of Venice's app listing is bumped, my heart skips a beat.

Tizoc

GAF, I have a crazy idea:
iOS version of Final Fantasy Tactics on Steam.
It doesn't suffer from the horrible sprite alterations the other FF games suffered, and it's a good port of the game.
How can we blackmail S-E to put it up?

You get Rome total war for free if you buy a SEGA game, and the whole Alien franchise is on sale, so you can also get AvP for 75% off.

I already have Rome Total War, but is Sonic Generations on sale by any chance?

Fucking brilliant.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
So in slightly related to steam news, mainly thanks to the sega petition and resident evil 4 port. I'm seriously considering selling my recently acquired ps3 (as of september of last year for gta5).

I do still want to play Last of Us and Demon's Souls but it seems like the reason to keep that console around is diminishing. Kind of torn on the whole thing to be honest.

I know I could apply the credit towards a 3ds and probably get more use out of it especially now that I'm in school and get to class about an hour before it starts.... but I don't know.

I took the money I could have spent on a PS3 and built an HTPC instead.

I start each day with a spring in the my step thanks to that decision.

Grief.exe

It doesn't suffer from the horrible sprite alterations the other FF games suffered, and it's a good port of the game.

Sounds good to me.

Turfster

Fuck no. Don't give them ideas like that, son. Next thing you know, they'll bring over all their overpriced iOS rehashes.

I already have Rome Total War, but is Sonic Generations on sale by any chance?
Not that I can see. Of course, the week has just started, so... ;)

I did a thread but no one replied, so if anyone is interested Strategy Informer wrote a preview about Hearts of Iron IV http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/heartsofironiv/1089/preview.html

Lol. I can't believe they want you to do it, it's just lazy from their side.

FloatOn

I have my gaming pc hooked up to my tv so I know the feeling.

"With more PC ports coming the more redundant the ps3 feels" is probably a more efficient way of saying what I said earlier.

Caerith

That doesn't sound reasonable, even if it is allowable. Maybe it's time to abandon Firefox support.

Personally, I'd rather see the first Saints Row game on Steam. Asking S-E for things is like using a monkey paw.

morningbus

I have my gaming pc hooked up to my tv so I know the feeling.

"With more PC ports coming the more redundant the ps3 feels" is probably a more efficient way of saying what I said earlier.

Oh, I agree. But I've been saying basically that since the start of the generation.

To lighten up on my Sony hate: I did purchase a Move Navigation controller... to use as a remote on my HTPC.

Tell them that steam is a mobile platform. It'll show up in a matter of moments soon after.

fozzy

I know this probably isn't the right place to ask this question, but I have cod 4 But no disk drive to install it. I have the key on the back of the intructions here but is there anyway to get hold of the game online legally?

morningbus

I know this probably isn't the right place to ask this question, but I have cod 4 But no disk drive to install it. I have the key on the back of the intructions here but is there anyway to get hold of the game online legally?

Yeah, unfortunately that key won't work on Steam or redeem anywhere else.

If you want to avoid the grey area, try to find a computer that has a cd-drive and clone the disk to an img file. Mount the file on your target machine and install.

Any Borderlands 2 cheapo deals going on? Doesn't have to be GOTY or whatever, I just want to co op it with my bro (it does have online coop right?)

Probably get rid of it. The only reason I'm holding on to mine is for streaming to my TV and TLoU. If you already have that taken care of, no reason to keep the paperweight around

mannerbot

People can already request refunds on unredeemed gifts -- Valve's just automating this (as well as refunds on unreleased pre-purchases)... to a degree (the items must still be in your inventory, unsent, for the option to be present).

Whoa, had no idea.

Backlogger

Any Borderlands 2 cheapo deals going on? Doesn't have to be GOTY or whatever, I just want to co op it with my bro (it does have online coop right?)

Yes it does and that's actually how its supposed to be played I think but I have never tried online co-op.

Getgamesgo has GOTY for $15 USD (says its for Mac, but key works for both)

http://www.getgamesgo.com/product/borderlands-2-mac-goty

Edit: Beaten... that's what happens when you GAF at work, you get slow

Dr Dogg

I'm actually playing Sleepy Dawgs on my PS3 since I plan on trading it off later on as i already have it as a Plus freebie.
I like it! Main attraction for me is the combat system and setting, Wei Shin is badass too.

Can't wait to relive it via Steam (thanks Xelios!) for dat 60 FPS visual OD goodness~
Someone post that SD car GIF please.

After competing it twice on PS3 and once on PC I will happily say that the differnce is leaps and bounds. Runs a lot smoother, 60fps makes this game come alive and the extra HD textures really bring the streets of Hong Kong to life especially at night.

Really tempted to go through it again at 21:9 as it looks and feels just like Hong Kong cinema of old. That and got to get my spot back on top of some of the community challenges.

JaseC

Not without buying it again. Just download an ISO.

Edit: If you still have proof of purchase you could try asking Acti for a Steam key.

I actually nabbed a PS3 fat recently and I'm loving it, part of that though is more PSX and PS2 games, as I didn't own those two systems for long. Gamestops 75% off all remaining PS2 clearance sales are practically Steam Sales level of deals for me currently. And while a single system worth of exclusives (PS3) might not be worth it to me having PSX, PS2 and PS3 exclusives all available is really fun so far. PC is getting way better at this stuff, but for local play game nights it's still hard to beat the easy of a console with four controllers. My PC hooked up to the TV does still gets the bulk of my gaming time though.

In unrelated news I just gave up on Sine Mora recently. The presentation of this game is really good, graphics are super spiffy, and I quite enjoy the odd alternate universe WWII setting that they have going on (even though the story doesn't make a lick of sense to me). But the shooting mechanics and levels just don't do it for me. The game is very unclear visually about what is and what isn't part of the background so I'm continually running into stuff or getting hit by things that I didn't realize I couldn't move past. The hitbox around the ship is not really very clear visually and the bullet patterns seem more random then planned. I like SHMUPs and I don't even think that I'm the pickiest about them mechanically (I'm not some Cave only diehard or anything like that) but this game just felt annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom