• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Daily Sang Froid 75% off
Weeklong:
  • Sparkle 2 Evo 75% off
  • Master Reboot 50% off
  • Syder Arcade 75% off
  • Velocity Ultra 50% off
  • Space Force Rogue Universe 75% off
  • Clickr xx% off
  • Valley Without Wind 1 + 2 80% off
  • Redshirt 50% off
  • Lords of Football 50% off
  • Gravity Badgers 50% off
  • Inquisitor 66% off
  • Genesis Rising 75% off
  • inFlux 60% off
  • Zombie Tycoon 2 40% off
  • Fuse 55% off
  • Zombie Driver HD 75% off

They need to stop burying these weeklong deals. There needs to be a permanent fixture in the client/webstore under the mid-week/weekend and daily deals section.

I may bite on master Reboot. Almost bought it during the winter sale but I spent too much money on Forstivus and the winter sale.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
That $3.99 is actually with the coupon. Looking at it logged out, it's only $4.99. Also where did all these coupons come from?

Ah, I'm a dumbo and misread the price, haha. The coupons were handed out to owners of Hotline Miami.

I think that's the price with the coupon as I was scratching my head how Nabs found it so cheap. When do they expire? I got the feeling it's soon but my inventory/imterwebs is playing up

February 1st.

Turfster

They need to stop burying these weeklong deals. There needs to be a permanent fixture in the client/webstore under the mid-week/weekend and daily deals section.

Sometimes, it's on the front page. Sometimes, it's not.
No, I have no idea why either. These are all things that are piss easy to automate.

Are there no week long deals this week for Steam? I don't see any update in the announcements.

What am I, chopped liver? =p

Caerith

Ah, I'm a dumbo and misread the price, haha. The coupons were handed out to owners of Hotline Miami.
It's displayed weird. Instead of seeing the -50%, I was seeing just -20% and thought maybe the price hadn't updated or something.

Sometimes, it's on the front page. Sometimes, it's not.
No, I have no idea why either. These are all things that are piss easy to automate.
It's inconsistent because JShackles hasn't fixed it for them.

Divius

Every single time I want to play Dark Souls it just hangs on the 'preparing to launch' window. Verifying the game files always results in 'one file failed to acquire' after which 'Performing first time setup: Microsoft Games for Windows - Live Redist Package'

Every single time. Ugh. Takes me 10 minutes to even launch the damn game.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
It's displayed weird. Instead of seeing the -50%, I was seeing just -20% and thought maybe the price hadn't updated or something.

It's inconsistent because JShackles hasn't fixed it for them.

jshackles is trying! I'm starting to think that Valve just... doesn't like me.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Ah cheers. Decisions, decisions 60% off now or wait for 75% off at a later date?

If you're not going to play the game in the near future there's no harm in waiting since it'll likely be 66% off the next time it's discounted.

sure about that? tried using both i hade here, and steam only lets me select one coupon D:

I bought the DDE and the price was knocked down from $6.99 to $5.59.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
A few snippets from my Master Reboot review, since this is one of the few times I've ever seen it go on sale:

Master Reboot starts off strong – perhaps a bit too strong for its own good – overloading the player with a ton of data to process. Beneath the shiny wireframe meshes that construct such a vivid and creative world lurks a presence that lightly drizzles a feeling of dread. For a while it feels like the developers have a tight grip on pacing and subtle horror influences that turn even a child’s room into a place where you can’t feel completely safe. Which makes it all the more tragic when, about two-thirds of the way through the game, Master Reboot completely loses any sense of pacing and tries to do too many things without ever completing the thought related to it.

Once the elephant in the digital room is unleashed, Master Reboot handles its subject matter with as much grace as the Saturday morning cartoon it appears to be. Always sidestepping and never truly making any particular statement, preventing itself from stepping on any toes or saying something more profound. In its stead we get a blend of romantic drama and half-hearted science fiction.

[It] clashes with so much of what proceeded these moments and when the gameplay is unable to hold up under pressure it really peels the surface back to show off glaring problems with the final third. Seren.exe, the system’s security process disguised as a creepy little girl, becomes too much of a force and the mystique behind her shatters through one too many encounters. The puzzles as well suffer at times, including one example where you’re required to remember the order of the solar system but the solution is factually incorrect. The optimist in me would love to believe this was a clever way to display how much this person paid attention in astronomy, but unfortunately it may just be a more wince-inducing mistake.

I came away very disappointed that such a promising start led to such a rushed and forgettable end. It does not completely undermine what the good two-thirds accomplish, yet those moments serve to remind just how great Master Reboot could have been.

tl;dr wait for a fiver

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
jshackles is trying! I'm starting to think that Valve just... doesn't like me.

I'm sure they would if they could pay full attention, but everyone over there is too busy working on Half-Life 3, Steam OS, and fruit smoothies/espressos.

A few snippets from my Master Reboot review, since this is one of the few times I've ever seen it go on sale:

tl;dr wait for a fiver

Expected, but still a disappointment. Thanks for the thoughts.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Lords of Football still has one of the best pieces of art on Steam:

header.jpg

Wag

I lost my steam COMMON folder. Bastids!!!! All my installed games just dissapeared!!! I have no idea why this happened. The rest of my harddrive is fine, just lost my Steam games.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm sure they would if they could pay full attention, but everyone over there is too busy working on Half-Life 3, Steam OS, and fruit smoothies/espressos.

From what I've been able to gather, the "Steam Web Team" at Valve number about 4-6 employees total. Obviously there are others that handle certain aspects of Steam (like, the client, support, business development, etc) but the number of people who are adding features and functionality to the Steam website is pretty small.

Given how big Steam is, as a distribution platform, I'm surprised they're not actively looking for people like me to help implement so many of the features that the site obviously needs.

Dr Dogg

If you're not going to play the game in the near future there's no harm in waiting since it'll likely be 66% off the next time it's discounted.

Play? What is this play thing you mention?

Well I've got it for my Vita as part of PS+ and despite being free I still haven't started it up. But sales are like shiny things to a magpie with me. Which I'm sure you can relate to :p

Tenrius

So in slightly related to steam news, mainly thanks to the sega petition and resident evil 4 port. I'm seriously considering selling my recently acquired ps3 (as of september of last year for gta5).

I do still want to play Last of Us and Demon's Souls but it seems like the reason to keep that console around is diminishing. Kind of torn on the whole thing to be honest.

I know I could apply the credit towards a 3ds and probably get more use out of it especially now that I'm in school and get to class about an hour before it starts.... but I don't know.

Don't do that. Demon's Souls alone deserves foregoing that option and it's not certain whether the SEGA petition has any effect. And then there are other games, so PC cannot fully substitute a PS3 no matter how you flip it.

what new/upcoming games are we excited for? Nothing really stands out while looking through steam

Have you SEEN Titanfall this thread? I probably haven't been this excited about a release schedule for years.

Copons

Great story Copons! I particularly love the fact that your cat is called Brodo :p

Her full name is BRODO SWAGGA 41 (all caps lock)! :D

The most awesomest thing of it is the fact that is a SHE, and everyone is super bothered by the fact that she has a somewhat male name. :D

DocSeuss

From what I've been able to gather, the "Steam Web Team" at Valve number about 4-6 employees total. Obviously there are others that handle certain aspects of Steam (like, the client, support, business development, etc) but the number of people who are adding features and functionality to the Steam website is pretty small.

Given how big Steam is, as a distribution platform, I'm surprised they're not actively looking for people like me to help implement so many of the features that the site obviously needs.

Remember, Valve seems to only want multidisciplined people, because of their precious culture nonsense.

Is community down for anyone else?

Yup. Wondering if it's a server thing.

mannerbot

Don't do that. Demon's Souls alone deserves foregoing that option and it's not certain whether the SEGA petition has any effect. And then there are other games, so PC cannot fully substitute a PS3 no matter how you flip it.

How much do you like Demon's Souls compared to Dark Souls? Just played through (and 100%ed the achievements :p) the latter recently.

Steam Client has been shit since turn of the year, I wonder what's going on over there. Servers up and down, Community dropping all the time. Chat doing the 'netsplit' thing you'd see on iRC back in the day.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
weird... according to steam Civ 5 is not installed on my computer. however, I played it earlier today and I still have all the files on my hdd. I tried restarting steam but that didn't help... any ideas?
Try installing it. It should recognize the files and not download anything it doesn't need. Probably should back up any saves you have before doing so.

milena87

Her full name is BRODO SWAGGA 41 (all caps lock)! :D

The most awesomest thing of it is the fact that is a SHE, and everyone is super bothered by the fact that she has a somewhat male name. :D

That's an awesome and inspired name!

I could never be imaginative with names... my first cat was Furia (and she was awesome), then came Scemola (he was cute, but really dumb), Gatta (we named her like this just as a joke and it sticked), Buddha, Nana and Elefant il Guercio (Elefant because he was pretty fat, but "il Guercio" came later, when he came back one day missing an eye and limping visibly).

jshackles

Remember, Valve seems to only want multidisciplined people, because of their precious culture nonsense.

I'm looking for work as a UXD. I have a degree in astrophysics and currently work as a network admin who holds numerous industry certifications.

I think I qualify as Valve's special type of "weird". :)

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge

That doesn't really surprise me. When I visited them a few years back for a photo tour/website interview, I was amazed to discover just how few people they had in areas every other studio has two to three times the number and they produce less work.

Even with the amount of artists they have, who usually pull double duty in other areas like programming or design, I was amazed to see just how little they have for just straight commercial art and web design. At one point I think the janitorial staff outnumbered them when it came to specific work.

All my love to Alden Kroll and the rest, but they could afford and benefit from more even with their unique set-up of "healing a team.

How much do you like Demon's Souls compared to Dark Souls? Just played through (and 100%ed the achievements :p) the latter recently.

For me personally, I found Demon's Souls to be the better game.

With worlds (stages) they were able to more craft better designed areas in terms of atmosphere, enemy placement, sound affects I believe. Tower of Latria for example is by far my favourite "level" by From Software because it so fully immersed me into a world as I played the game in the dark with a good sound system to really make all the rattling of chains, prisoners moaning, and enemies shuffling around get to me.

Dark Souls is a better designed game with bosses that are better designed, but there were quite a few sections that I felt lacked something because it had to fit the connected open world. It's quite keen how everything does fit together and you can see everything at once

Of course in my mind this is like comparing Castlevania 1 to Legend Of Zelda 1. So a matter of tastes and tolerance for certain things does come into play. Also I realise that for many, it's a "which did you play first" that will make one better than the other.

HoosTrax

header_292x136.jpg

About the Game

Control the evolution with the touch of your finger. Climb your way through the evolutional ladder. Start as a little organism and transform into a magnificent aquatic being. Explore the abyss in search of nutritional elements. Attack other species whenever you run out of other food sources. Enjoy beautiful surreal visuals and relax with minimalistic ambient soundtrack.

Oh come on, at least change the wording when you port your mobile game to PC.

Tenrius

I'd say they are equally fantastic. Demon's Souls is better in some departments (like the atmosphere, perhaps level design as there are some outright bad segments in Dark Souls and it's very steady in Demon's). The gameplay is essentially the same, but I thought that Dark Souls had, on the average, more enjoyable bosses (although a lot of them were basically copied from Demon's).

DocSeuss

If only they had single-discipline employees HL2 wouldn't have been a disappointment.

I'd argue that most of Half-Life 2's successes are a result of single-discipline employees, like Viktor Antonov, Kelly Bailey (the soundtrack does not get enough credit) and the person responsible for the facial animation tech. Not surprisingly, these are three really important aspects of the way people respond to video games.

I'm looking for work as a UXD. I have a degree in astrophysics and currently work as a network admin who holds numerous industry certifications.

I think I qualify as Valve's special type of "weird". :)

Then I have no idea what's up with Valve. Do we need to do a petition for you or something?

Those fucking morons. I give them 6 months tops to still be in business.

Invest in uPlay now.

You seem a little extreme.

yuraya

Does anyone know how active the multiplayer for Aliens vs Predator game is? or is it more of a singleplayer buy at this point?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom