• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
So often when working on Enhanced Steam, I find that the smallest subtle changes can have the greatest impact on Steam's overall usability.

For example, I just implemented a new feature that will be available in the next version. It takes the "Remove" links on the wishlist page, and re-writes them so that they process via AJAX. This means that clicking on the "Remove" link for an item will remove it from your wishlist without having to reload the page. Thus if you wanted to remove quite a few items, you just have to make a couple of clicks.

It's a small change, but boy does it make that page much more usable when trying to weed a few games here and there off of your wishlist.

so you made the wishlist feature usable. thanks!

Zeknurn

So often when working on Enhanced Steam, I find that the smallest subtle changes can have the greatest impact on Steam's overall usability.

For example, I just implemented a new feature that will be available in the next version. It takes the "Remove" links on the wishlist page, and re-writes them so that they process via AJAX. This means that clicking on the "Remove" link for an item will remove it from your wishlist without having to reload the page. Thus if you wanted to remove quite a few items, you just have to make a couple of clicks.

It's a small change, but boy does it make that page much more usable when trying to weed a few games here and there off of your wishlist.

This would be very useful to have. It's too bad I'm stuck on 5.1.

It's really crazy how inefficient the Steam page (and with it the client) is at some points. It's really not a good user experience, which is strange to me, since Valve seems to be all about good user experience.

I'm back from army and checking my emails. Here are some of the duplicate bundle games.
V.4.0
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last week, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY -- MB-E2A2F57E0BF15157 - Taken by Cozmogramma
The Lord of the Rings War in the North -- MB-187214354AF20AD6 - Taken by Freedom = $1.05
Greed Corp -- MB-88A7831C98333AAC

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Potentially retroactive blonde moment: Is that currently in the Firefox version? I know it's been lagging quite a bit behind the chrome version, so. . . I'd feel pretty silly if it's been there the whole time.

Yes, this is also available in Firefox. However, Mozilla just yesterday approved the first update I've sent them in 4 months. So it's only been available on Firefox (I believe) as of released version 5.7.

if you could find a way to make everything work like that I'd cry

so you made the wishlist feature usable. thanks!

Next up, I'm going to try to automatically save the wishlist ranking as you move the items. It's really bad for the UX to require the user to click "save" after reordering a list like this via drag/drop.

This would be very useful to have. It's too bad I'm stuck on 5.1.

Opera user? They recently made a change in their moderation process that makes them more like Mozilla in terms of approving updates. It used to be that I could sign the Chrome plugin and upload. Now they say that's a big no-no and want several things about Enhanced Steam changed. :(

Next up, I'm going to try to automatically save the wishlist ranking as you move the items. It's really bad for the UX to require the user to click "save" after reordering a list like this via drag/drop.

Would it be possible to hide your own wishlist from other users?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Would it be possible to hide your own wishlist from other users?

Unfortunately that's something that can't really be done since it's a system-level setting.

However, it may be possible to allow users to create a "Private" wishlist that Enhanced Steam stores in it's Chrome Sync Storage area. This would allow you to be able to see it but would prevent others from seeing it.

Of course, if your Chrome Sync Storage were to get corrupted (this happens) you would lose your private wishlist.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
wait what happened to Rush Bros on indiegala? well anyway have at it:

ModBot said:
Instructions for Rhaknar:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Velvet Assassin -- MB-E3A23486885C6F66 - Taken by MarcoZombieCannon. 5 entrants total.

t1390953452z1.png

True story: I semi-enjoyed Velvet Assasin (and finished it!)

Ever since losing my categories once on Steam I don't both with organizing them too much on there. Just basic categories for Done / Not Interested, Currently Playing, and Upcoming. With all the sales PC gaming gets I did actually take the time to create a big old Google doc that organized all the stuff I owned into general categories. In each category I rank the top three or so games from that category that I'd like to play next. Using that list helps me with both choosing what to play next, and what to buy. My usually rule of thumb (with a possible exception for mainline humble bundles) is to only purchase a game or bundle if it's going to bump one of the top three games in a category down the list. Not that I always buy it if it meets the criteria (obviously or else I'd spend a ton), but just helps to have a rule to keep me from buying too much backlog fodder for cheap.

More than 60% of my games are Steamsale.
Every game I own on Steam, aside from gifts and giveaway wins, were bought on sale. I don't pay full price for anything if I can help it. Of course I end up buying more since I save on individual games, then I don't have time to play all the ones I do have. And I'm only just over 200 games! How do you guys with 500 or 1k+ do it?

Annubis

I have 2 categories on Steam

YAY and NAY

I'm sure you can figure out this complex classification system of the games I've played.

JakeD

i started the "make sure every game has a steam grid icon" project for my 758 game library

it's oddly satisfying and the custom icon thread is amazing

Zeknurn

Opera user? They recently made a change in their moderation process that makes them more like Mozilla in terms of approving updates. It used to be that I could sign the Chrome plugin and upload. Now they say that's a big no-no and want several things about Enhanced Steam changed. :(

Yeah. I guess I could try manually installing the Chrome version.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Yeah. I guess I could try manually installing the Chrome version.

That's what I ended up doing. Opera 12 is still my main browser, but for Steam and a few other things for videos I keep Chrome open. Worth it I guess, and as long as I don't have too many tabs open Chrome never has any problems.

Shame the direction Opera has taken as a browser.

Zeknurn

I meant as in installing the Chrome version of the extension. I would never install that shit browser again.

edit: Done. Now I can finally experience the holiday sale the Enhanced Steam way.

Zafir

I tried to give everything an icon, but Steam kept on randomly forgetting them. It also was forgetting the non-steam games that I'd added too. Gave up in the end, couldn't be bothered constantly redoing.

jshackles

So does Steam Enhancement have any neat features in regards to Steam Achievements?

Currently it has an option to show your achievement status on your "All Games" page. It also puts a "Compare" link when someone on your friend's list unlocks an achievement.

So - not much yet, but I'm always open to suggestions.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Thanks once more for all the hard work jshackles. That simply change (from my perspective) for wishlists is quite handy and smooth.

I meant as in installing the Chrome version of the extension. I would never install that shit browser again.

edit: Done. Now I can finally experience the holiday sale the Enhanced Steam way.

Ah my mistake. I guess I should do that myself for Opera 18 since they will someday stop supporting Opera 12. I'm going to miss all those nice features I use so regurally once that happens.

I'm glad add-ons became something of course for browsers, but I wish it didn't come with the sacrifice of companies taking away options in a browser itself.

Exuro

Currently it has an option to show your achievement status on your "All Games" page. It also puts a "Compare" link when someone on your friend's list unlocks an achievement.

Do you have access to leaderboard data? A bit of a stretch but I've always wanted Valve to implement in client leaderboards so I don't have to boot up x game to view them.

You know, I've been disappointed with achievements integration in Steam for some time now and now that I'm being asked on for suggestions, I'm drawing a blank.

I'll try to think of something though.

Myshkin

I registered key for Toki Tori 2+ from bundle, but didn't install it yet.
Suddenly, I have a new inventory item.
10% off on Toki Tori 2+
Someone tell me that Steam has a strategy here.

Hm

I have an AMD card so it's either a bug or some weird thing they thought would look cool. Whatever it is, it made me think my GPU is crapping out.

Ah ok, then I suppose it must be intended but there's nothing similar in the game so it's weird. But yeah, I wouldn't worry about your card.

10% off on Toki Tori 2+

The same thing happened to me today with Toki Tori 2+. I guess they want you to give it to a friend so they'll buy it as well.

jsrv

10% off on Toki Tori 2+
happened to me too though I got 2 coupons instead. I think they also give you one if you put in a code for the first game.

I thought it was a booster pack...

Last one from Indie Gala:

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:

Velvet Assassin -- MB-9E64DFBA7ADA717F - Taken by FiveElementNinja

Kifimbo

Probably old, but There Came an Echo was delayed to October (instead of June). The good news: Intel is now partially funding the game. In exchange, Intel RealSense Technology platform will be fully supported by the game.

I should be getting £20 of Steam credit tomorrow, but I'm stuck on what to buy.

Ideally I'd like to get 2 or 3 recent well received releases, but there are so many!

Kifimbo

ModBot said:

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Velvet Assassin -- MB-A8F48C3332677521 - Taken by The-Bean. 8 entrants total.

t1390957638z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom