• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
So wait, what's so bad about that Ninja Gaiden game? I didn't watch the video I think someone posted earlier, but the train gif and the mighty no 9 picture were pretty cool.

I'm coming from the point of view of someone who has no experience with Ninja Gaiden at all.

The compression isn't the problem with that first image...

It's better than alternative which is single color blocks that Thief uses for texture. The bigger textures are done in exactly the same style but obviously with such basic geometry it looks a bit weird so sharp.

Some areas look better than others but more often than not I'd much prefer using the texture pack.
Thief-Gold-HD-612x382.png

Reminds me I need to finish Trails on the PSP so I can play the second one. Would get the PC version but I like the portability and I don't want to replay the 35 hours put into the first game so far.

So wait, what's so bad about that Ninja Gaiden game? I didn't watch the video I think someone posted earlier, but the train gif and the mighty no 9 picture were pretty cool.

I'm coming from the point of view of someone who has no experience with Ninja Gaiden at all.

The other games have a cold, almost mechanical feel to them, supported by their gameplay that has those same elements.

The previews give a little of a hokey sense of humor. Going off of that, it has the makings of a bummer for fans of the series.

Unfortunately that's something that can't really be done since it's a system-level setting.

However, it may be possible to allow users to create a "Private" wishlist that Enhanced Steam stores in it's Chrome Sync Storage area. This would allow you to be able to see it but would prevent others from seeing it.

Of course, if your Chrome Sync Storage were to get corrupted (this happens) you would lose your private wishlist.

Thanks. All I'd need it for is to be notified whenever a game I wish for is on sale, without lettings others know that I want that particular game. If that makes any sense.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
The other games have a cold, almost mechanical feel to them, supported by their gameplay that has those same elements.

The previews give a little of a hokey sense of humor. Going off of that, it has the makings of a bummer for fans of the series.
Oh, so it's a more somber sort of game usually? It;s heavy on the mechanics like PG games usually are, right?

Levyne

Banned
I would (will?) definitely replay Trails in the Sky once it's on Steam. Need a refresher on things before the sequel anyways...which I'm sure we'll see before the sun goes supernova.

I would (will?) definitely replay Trails in the Sky once it's on Steam. Need a refresher on things before the sequel anyways...which I'm sure we'll see before the sun goes supernova.

Isn't it coming out on the PSP at the same time the first game comes out on Steam?

*Crawls out from under rock*

Is it? I would have to find my psp or hope it has a digital version :eek:

I totally made that up in my head it seems, although the sequel is definitely coming to the PSP it's not the same time as the first game comes to steam(ie Winter) Just a general 2014 date. And it will definitely have a digital release, I'll be playing it on the vita. Hell, it's almost certainly digital only.

Oh, so it's a more somber sort of game usually? It;s heavy on the mechanics like PG games usually are, right?

Not necessarily somber, like the Souls games can be. I was thinking about cold as in "You are a death machine: kill and kill often." It doesn't spend a ton of time on much else but pulls it off.

FloatOn

Finished Trine

Game is really easy until the last two levels and then it just fucking throws the kitchen sink at you. Especially the Kid Icarus climb up the tower bullshit with rising lava. If that wasn't fun enough lets have an evil wizard materialize all manner of crap to conjure up in your way. REAL FUN.

I was pretty damn close to rage deleting it. It will be a good while before I get back to Trine 2

All that said, it was a very pretty game and if you have patience for some really annoying platforming I would say that it was worth the 5.7 hours it took for me to complete.

Turfster

Is that 4 analog outputs (or a mix of inputs/outputs) and a SPDIF out?

I'd think that having a dedicated audio card (if that's an audio card) would give you more input/output options.
It's an audio card. This is my older one from the same range, and it's a pretty solid card.

Levyne

Banned
I also am without a dedicated sound card. But I would need to upgrade my headphones before I worry about that I guess.

Is there such a thing as a good sound quality headset? Or is headphones+mic the way to go. Considering either a really nice headset or headphones with my tax return.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I also am without a dedicated sound card. But I would need to upgrade my headphones before I worry about that I guess.

Is there such a thing as a good sound quality headset? Or is headphones+mic the way to go. Considering either a really nice headset or headphones with my tax return.

Headphones + desk mic is the only way. No headset comes even close to the build or sound quality of a dedicated pair of cans. Grief'll back me up on this one.

Grief.exe

Duke 3D just got co-op and multiplayer modes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5qkvFKZy5U

The latest update to Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition is available now on Steam and brings co-op and multiplayer modes to the first-person shooter.

The Megaton Edition was already bundled with Duke Nukem 3D's expansions and now supports up to eight player cooperative and Death Match modes as well as cross-platform play on Linux, Mac and Windows PC versions. User-created maps are also available through Steam Workshop.

There are good sound-quality headsets, but they are far too expensive for what they provide.

Your best bet is getting a nice pair of headphones + separate mic.

No headset will have similar sound quality to a good pair of headphones. I'm currently using a blue yeti pro as a mic which is nice but sometimes a bit much in terms of picking up my every breath.

Levyne

Banned
Ah. Sounds like it's unanimous. Thanks! I might ask for suggestions here when the time comes.

I can't comfortably play Duke 3D because of those protozoid slimers. I am a sissy.

ezodagrom

Wasn't Trails in the Sky supposed to release this month or am I delusional?
It was mentioned for winted 2013, that is, somewhere between late december 2013 and late march 2014, but there's a possibility that it could be delayed a bit?
To be fair, though, it is delayed a bit due to minor technical issues with the Steam programming. But any progress we make on that now will also apply to SC, so the same issues that are delaying FC definitely won't also delay SC.

...Doesn't mean SC won't be delayed for other reasons, though. It is the most massive project we've ever had any involvement with in our entirely history as a company, so there's a lot that can potentially hold it up. That's why we gave only the vaguest indication as to when it would be released... and since it's not a specific date, the possibility always exists that it could get kicked back to fall or even winter.

Though of course, we're not planning on any such occurrence! We'd like to get it out to you guys a.s.a.p. The problem is the "p" there. ;)

-Tom
http://forum.marvelous-usa.com/index.php?showtopic=27143&#entry829727

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.

People want another amazing NGB/2 after the terrible 3/razor's edge but instead they got a weird spinoff. Imma treat it like DmC and not judge it till I play it but I can understand the frustration after the terrible terrible NG3.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Ah. Sounds like it's unanimous. Thanks! I might ask for suggestions here when the time comes.

I can't comfortably play Duke 3D because of those protozoid slimers. I am a sissy.

...or you could just buy a G930 by logitech and not have to deal with audio cards at all, since it plugs in through USB.

And it's wireless.

I'm sure people hate me by now, as I always bring it up when talking about headsets, headphones, audio cards, microphones, so on and so forth... :D

People want another amazing NGB/2 after the terrible 3/razor's edge but instead they got a weird spinoff. Imma treat it like DmC and not judge it till I play it but I can understand the frustration after the terrible terrible NG3.

Better a weird spinoff than a drastic change in the series by bringing in a western developer.
How's that working out for you, Capcom? Did you meet those sales targets yet?

--

I have no problem with Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z; it's clearly marked as a spinoff and looks to be some sort of musou/action game hybrid (sort of like DmC, actually), with my only real concern being that I'm not a huge fan of the borderlands style art direction.

And while NG3 was definitely awful (I defended the game up until I played through it... they definitely did a lot of drastic design changes the took away a lot of the series staples), the demo for Razor's Edge (and word of mouth from those who played it) indicated that while it wasn't a masterpiece, it was definitely a decent character action game starring everyone's favorite Ryu.

How in the world was DmC like a Musou action game? It was like any other DMC game in terms of progression and general combat. One can argue over whether the combat stands up to 3/4 but it's in the same genre. Yaiba on the other hand seems to have a lot of fodder enemies while you're fighting the tougher guys, so I can understand the musou comparison there.

...or you could just buy a G930 by logitech and not have to deal with audio cards at all, since it plugs in through USB.

And it's wireless.

I'm sure people hate me by now, as I always bring it up when talking about headsets, headphones, audio cards, microphones, so on and so forth... :D

I really want a G930, especially after trying them at a friend's place.

It's just that this money shitting thing really isn't working out for me. Maybe I'm eating the wrong paper. Or is it the ink?

Grief.exe

And it's wireless.

You are dead to me.

You can use onboard sound through the 3.5mm jack for headphones.

I thought Binary Domain was pretty bad :/
This makes me sad. Outside of the group affinity and talking gimmicks that a lot of people seem to take as the only thing from the game, the shooting was really fun because they made the most out of the enemy types you were facing. It's so refreshing to break up the headshot, headshot, headshot monotony of most other shooters out there, and the way they break apart when you're blasting them made it feel great.

Two things kind of let me down though and one is the the weapon upgrades, as it sucks that you can only ever upgrade your specialty weapon which you have no choice over, I'd replay the game a bunch if only I could go through it again upgrading any weapon of my choosing just to see how it changes my approach. That, and some of the boss fights are just horrible; on my replay on the harder difficulty I got to the one during the chase on the highway and I just stopped playing right there, it goes on at least three times longer than it has any right to.

Hm

I have an AMD card so it's either a bug or some weird thing they thought would look cool. Whatever it is, it made me think my GPU is crapping out.
It freaked me out the first time I saw it too, but when it was the same every time I started it up I just figured it was a bad stylistic choice.

Caerith

The word "gaiden" means "side story," meaning that the Ninja Gaiden games are actually spinoffs of the core, canon series (which has never been seen)
(like a real ninja)
. Words like "side" or "spinoff" are relative, which means that Yaiba, being a spinoff of Ninja Gaiden, is actually the first entry in the core, canon series.

The first spinoff game came out in 1988, meaning there's at least 26 years of hype for this, so that could be why some people are feeling disappointed. Some people have been hyped for Yaiba since before they were born.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Thanks for reminding me to send an e-mail to Exor asking if it would be possible to receive a Steam key for the original Zombie Driver if I were to purchase it from elsewhere. Annoyingly Zombie Driver HD replaced the original only on Steam -- it's still available on GamersGate and GMG at the very least.

Update: Massive thanks to Exor Studios for obliging me:

zombiedriver150j5i.jpg

I also received a key for the Summer of Slaughter DLC. Today is a good day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom