• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

http://store.steampowered.com/app/252230/?snr=1_4_4__105_1

Just noticed Ninja Gaiden Z is up for pre-order, $48 or about $23 from the Russian store with no region or trading restrictions. :)

The header image is really cool

header_292x136.jpg

Can't wait for Ninja Gaiden Black port.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The removed the auction house entirely!

Good to know, maybe I'll stick with it this time, and keep going on Path of Exile. Then get Grim Dawn when it's finished.

Cheers!

The_Monk

Very nice review of Binary Domain! I hope it piques others' interest in trying out the game.

Thanks for the write-up Monk! I'll get to it one of these days.

No, thank you for reading! ;)

One thing I forgot to mention, I would be curious to see the opinion of those that played both Binary Domain and Vanquish. I know they are different but some things felt similar, at least to my mind. I played Vanquish long time ago but I grew more fond of BD to be honest. On a side note I do love Vanquish "Press Start" screen.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Do you know if UE4 or older versions support linux?

All do insofar that there's an OpenGL renderer. I think, like Source, the SDK is Windows-only due to OS dependencies.

Edit: Yeah:

A. System Requirements

UDK requires a personal computer with the following system configuration:

Minimum:

Windows XP SP2 or Windows Vista
2.0+ GHz processor
2 GB system RAM
SM3-compatible video card
3 GB free hard drive space

Recommended for Content Development:

Windows Vista 64 SP2

2.0+ GHz multi-core processor
8 GB system RAM
NVIDIA 8000 series or higher graphics card
Plenty of HDD space

The UDK will install .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 if you don’t already have it. This will require an internet connection.

Divius

What's with the HAWKEN trading cards? it's listed on my badges page but it says 'No card drops remaining ' even though I did not get a single drop when I played it.

Is it because I do not have it installed any longer? Or because I didn't buy a bundle?

Lunaniem

What's with the HAWKEN trading cards? it's listed on my badges page but it says 'No card drops remaining ' even though I did not get a single drop when I played it.

Is it because I do not have it installed any longer? Or because I didn't buy a bundle?

F2P games usually require you to buy items or a bundle to get card drops.

MUnited83

For you.
Man, that GMG/Playfire rewards thingy is kinda of amazing. Got almost 10$ of store credit with South Park achievements alone! (and I bought the game for 18$!)

JaseC

Planet Explorers is an open world sandbox adventure RPG game set on a distant planet. The game uses a new OpenCL calculated voxel system to allow players to change the terrain in anyway, create new objects such as weapons, vehicles, objects, and do it anywhere.

Early Access; $24.99

Jawmuncher

I don't think I can ever shake being able to accept Early Acess games.
I mean it's nice that the option is there, but it just feels so odd to me.
Though I did buy Blade Symphony.....but that was dirt cheap,

Jawmuncher

Man, that GMG/Playfire rewards thingy is kinda of amazing. Got almost 10$ of store credit with South Park achievements alone! (and I bought the game for 18$!)

Make sure to get the most out of it now.
Have a feeling it'll dissapear or the rewards will plummet.
kinda like when 20 dollar credits were standard for preorders then POOF no more.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Oh dear, its Demonicon.

I also haven't played it, but I've heard some amazing things about Demonicon on the Steam topic.

header_292x136.jpg

Here's a few things I could find quickly by searching GAF a bit:

Demonicon is one of the best worst game I've played in a while. Holy fuck is it nuts. When a game upfront goes for a sister-incest plot and gives you a Mass Effect-style dialog wheel with the options "Flirt" and "Beef" you know you're playing something special.

An update on the further adventures of Cairon from Demonicon:
E7B5B4CE5A7FCB939A02761253FCD824B8A7F603

0A3AFFFBBF5EFB29150E693F00EA673FFA3E6D7D

4FAE09EB431BA6E8F5A6FB65FBC582CC154D4B3A

0D4D0C36C639F04718DCB0D4EFEF17927D7267A7

E91F9CA051FD1D4ED9EC19A20923646446E1114F

7FC8986D256ACD9787E4B576FF957959D9F65EA2

C8F608E1DD7BBAB41CCAE1EE484399DC952B766E

FBA1F66B9A2D108E4B7B8497BB074071E7D9ADCB

73C4ECFAB6D936290ECEF61C8C207230510A430B

Trying out Demonicon. My god it's so terribly good. It's Mars War Logs all over again but high fantasy and not cyberpunk.

I mean, really. Who doesn't like a little bit of incest in their game when your sister has tig ole bitties like these?
0593A74AC1846C6FC26E1137AC1FCFFB2A66DF8A

37E025B392DDBA4E56C1E9C8992CA4F130207F65

I finally finished Demonicon, or as I like to call it "The Adventures of Mr. Bi-Polar".

So I guess I should write-up my final thoughts on the game. Ultimately the metric used to judge a game (or any piece of art) can be broken down to two basic categories: Is it technically good? Or Is it entertaining?

On the former, the game is for the most part a failure. Terrible animations, ugly character design, pitiful combat with practically no feedback, repetitive enemies, ham-fisted storytelling, a lack-lustre graphics engine with some occasionally nice lighting effects and the odd decent texture, banal, uninspired art-direction and completely forgettable music. Oh, and the checkpoints (the game auto-saves with no way to manually save, although it does create many historical saves so you can always roll-back if there's a problem) were arbitrary in nature.

On that list alone you wouldn't give the game the time of day. However, the game is in many ways one of the most entertaining I've played in years. Why? Possibly because the atrocious dialogue options, hilarious voice acting and the variety of graphical glitches turned the game into something well beyond the sum of its parts. It's effectively a soap-opera set in a medieval fantasy world with a main character who vacillates between disconnected concern, sarcasm and UNFETTERED ANGER. Coupled with the binary voice acting (softly spoken or yelling into the mic), the bizzare, single-minded obsession with incest and the preponderance of the main character's voice actor to scream "WHAROOOOOONG!" at the top of his lungs when occasional taking damage (and in one particular cut-scene, making it all the more hilarious) makes this a game that will have you doubled-over with laughter. My wife ended up watching me play through the entire game, 20 hours according to Steam, just so she wouldn't miss any of the hilarity.

Is the game good? No. Is the game entertaining and memorable? Absolutely, just maybe for all the wrong reasons.

Oh, and I will say despite being a dodgy PC WRPG made on the cheap in Germany it was for the most part a very stable game. I only had it crash once and never suffered any game breaking bugs or was forced to restart sections. You can't say that about a lot of AAA games out there.

MUnited83

For you.
So apparently I'm not allowed to take screenshots of unmodified video games on steam.

(my Rust screenshot was "banned" for being a screenshot of Rust)

Weird.
I got one of my screenshots of South Park banned. It was merely my character holding a "Fuck the conformists" sign. Dindt realize swear words weren't allowed.

And meanwhile, my Major Boobage weapon screenshots are still up, lol.

JaseC

Looks like I'm buying MW3 today, and incidentally it's the last region-free Call of Duty I need that isn't the Windows version of Black Ops.

Well, there is this: http://steamdb.info/app/220980/

And according to Crydev mods... it is not the Free SDK.
as they say:

Yeah, I've been wondering just what exactly that is. Offering the SDK through Steam wouldn't really make sense unless it was a paid app.

Terra_Ex

Oh dear, its Demonicon.

I was misled about this game and its supposed promises,
the sibling issue is neatly sidestepped as always (and as expected)...
I still need to go back and finish it, the difficulty spike and health regeneration in the
Falk
battle was just insane. It's pretty fun to play aside from balance issues, meh voice acting and framerate issues in some locations.

And thanks to Tizoc for Gateways.

Grief.exe

Work is still on going for MW2/MW3 Steamplay patch with mac support. I wonder if they were trying to get it out by this scheduled sale.

Still on the fence about Grim Dawn.

$20 is definitely the right price point, but the game is unfinished. However, I love the genre so I might play through the first two acts now, then play again when the game is complete. $20 puts it squarely in the range of Torchlight II's price point (which I loved) and much cheaper than Diablo III's price (which I hated).

In other news, this afternoon I'm going in for my (hopefully) final surgery on my eye, so I might be out for a couple of days.

I guarantee you that the Diablo 3 that you played and disliked is not the same Diablo 3 people are playing now. I played D3 at launch and the furthest I got was midway through Nightmare with a Barbarian before I got bored because the game felt totally unrewarding to play. Last Wednesday I created a brand new Barb, hit level 60 for the first time and have 75 Paragon levels now. I'm swimming in Legendaries and have almost completed my first major set. The loot system has been drastically overhauled.

That said, I totally will buy Grim Dawn when it's finished because it's got some of the Titan Quest crew working on it and will more than likely be worth the thirty duckets they're asking for it.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Wow! Planet Explorers is on Steam? I backed their kickstarter like two years ago. The last time I loaded it up it was nearly unplayable. But that was a very very long time ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom