• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steam down, twitter down. The sky is falling.

Yeah, I assume the ongoing protest in Istanbul and the people trying to get some news from that protest has clogged it.
It seems that we have somehow adapted it quickly and started overusing. I found this out when I noticed that I never set my "Trends" thing to local, yet always seeing mostly Turkish tags.

I can say the opposite about Steam, so I assume you broke that one and not us.

what's wrong with gog's "we'll be back shortly and sorry for inconvenience"?
Downtime is already annoying enough without insisting that it is totally your fault, no?

lol
awesome

You mean like the "scheduled" maintenance warning that you pull out whenever you broke the site?

Parsnip

Hmm. That Witcher 3 delay gives me more time to actually play through the Roche path.

More like BROche, right. That's what people tell me, anyway.

I can't see what they trust while pricing this game at 30$

Or maybe Steam sales lowered the value of games in my eyes.

About the Game:
(HIGHLY RECOMMENDED TO READ THE "HOW TO PLAY" INSTRUCTIONS "MANUAL" AND TO LISTEN CAREFULLY TO THE VOICE-OVER IN THE BEGINNING OF THE GAME IN ORDER TO HAVE CLEAR DIRECTION. As well please watch videos to get a reasonable idea of game play)If you are looking for a realistic, non-tutorial, action/ adventure RPG, then look no further. A DIFFERENT APPROACH IN THAT YOU ARE MAKING DECISIONS AND GOING THROUGH THE GAME MORE AS IF YOU WERE REALLY THERE, NOT HAVING OBVIOUS DIRECTION OR EASY ANSWERS. For example, there are stun guns on the island that were placed as a means of a quick small defense if needed. These were never intended to be used as WEAPONS the way they will be needed now as you are trying to achieve your goals. Cypress Inheritance: The Beginning delivers a true-to-life, stealthy gaming experience set in multiple open worlds. As you experience our true cause and effect system while on the path to achieving your goals, the strategy you use will have consequences and those decisions will ultimately determine your success or failure. Cypress Inheritance: The Beginning will give you a unique gaming experience to enjoy. Again... HIGHLY RECOMMENDED TO READ THE "HOW TO PLAY" INSTRUCTIONS AND TO LISTEN CAREFULLY TO THE VOICE-OVER IN THE BEGINNING OF THE GAME IN ORDER TO HAVE CLEAR DIRECTION. We intended for this game to be a game that the player goes into and has options and objectives in an environment with an AI that is defending the area with it's robotic skills.

Arthea

You mean like the "scheduled" maintenance warning that you pull out whenever you broke the site?

for the list of amazing excuses look no further than providers when connection is down. I once thought about writing a book consisting of bullshit they tell people (><)
If would have been a hit, I tell you, only my laziness stopped me from doing this good deed.

About the Game:

parts are in caplock, because they contradict other text, I presume. You can read only caplocked text or otherway, and you have two opposite games in one! clever! (><)

Arthea

how are you people gonna buy The Banner Saga if store doesn't load? It's just empty talk!

I'm tempted and by saga and by banished, but I have to pay insane amount of money for FFX duo remaster next week, so that's helping.

Dolor

Hmm. That Witcher 3 delay gives me more time to actually play through the Roche path.

More like BROche, right. That's what people tell me, anyway.

Just refinished the Iorveth path last night
(had to go try to save Triss, I regret nothing)
. This isn't a bad idea.

Tellaerin

So.....it's a non tutorial RPG that requires you to read how to play the game so that you know what to do.

What a crock of shit.

In theory, it makes sense. I mean, we had non-tutorial RPG's back in the day, but we also had manuals then, and people actually read those. Nowadays, you need to tell people to read the instructions, or they'll go in, become totally lost in the first five minutes, then bitch loudly about how the game's "broken" and no one should buy it, ever.

That said, this game seems kind of iffy based on the store page, and I don't think the developers need to YELL AT ME IN ALL CAPS, either. >.>

Watched some Lets Play Towerfall Ascension and the game seems to be pretty boring.
Whats with Local Multiplayer Insta-Death type of games these days? Overpriced...not much SP content and Pixels over pixels....

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Since a lot of people seem to be on the fence about the Banner Saga, I'd like to share my thoughts about the game and potentially save you some money

Pros:
+ Great Artwork and Music
+ Interesting story (albeit a bit linear) with great characters that you get attached to, three former Bioware employees are behind the game so you know what to expect when it comes to plot/choices/dialogue
+Lots of playable classes
+Solid battle system

Cons:
- Too short, takes around 8-10 hours to complete
-A lot of difficulty spikes
-Lack of a diverse character customization system
-Lack of enemy and battle map variety, you always fight against the same enemies in almost identical battle maps
-Inconsistent save system, something similar to pre-patch Shadowrun Returns
- The caravan management system doesn't really affect gameplay
- Because you fight a limited number of battles, you will have to use the same characters over and over again to stand a chance at late-game encounters. Also there's an uneven distribution of playtime between the two playable caravans, which makes half of the character cast useless. If the game used the classic Bioware system where characters auto level with you there wouldn't be a problem

The fact that the cons outweigh the pros doesn't make it a bad game. I really enjoyed it but imo it's definitely not worth it's current price. I'd advise you to wait for it to receive at least a 66% discount before picking it up

natertots

how are you people gonna buy The Banner Saga if store doesn't load? It's just empty talk!

I'm tempted and by saga and by banished, but I have to pay insane amount of money for FFX duo remaster next week, so that's helping.

Banished is so good. Easily one of my favorite games to spend some quality time with.

Cons:
-A lot of difficulty spikes

Except the last encounter, I did not notice any other difficulty spike. I played on medium and hard, and on medium, it almost impossible to lose a battle (except the last one).

As far as the game length is concerned, I did not think that was a problem. I personally don't have time to invest 60+ hours in a game, and I prefer to play a 10h long game that is consistently entertaining and good.

The game also has a lot of replayability (since you have many choices to make), so you can easily spend more than 20-30h on it. And for $16 right now, I think that's a pretty good deal.

ShogunX

In theory, it makes sense. I mean, we had non-tutorial RPG's back in the day, but we also had manuals then, and people actually read those. Nowadays, you need to tell people to read the instructions, or they'll go in, become totally lost in the first five minutes, then bitch loudly about how the game's "broken" and no one should buy it, ever.

That said, this game seems kind of iffy based on the store page, and I don't think the developers need to YELL AT ME IN ALL CAPS, either. >.>

Hmm I suppose when you put it like that but it just seems really amateurish in it's execution.

I thought I would get rid on my... leftover... game.
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Tiny and Big Grandpa's Leftovers -- MB-474B5061055DA18E - Taken by Shalashaska. 1 entrants total.

t1394566633z1.png

How legit do people think that Wasteland 2 and Divinity Original Sin are really going to drop during the spring? Thinking about maybe jsut keeping the infamous money I put aside for them, I'll probably be annoyed if I wait and they don't make it any time soon haha. Anyone playing the early access for these, thinking they are/aren't anywhere near ready?

Dude, that's exactly why I said that :p

"It will not be called "Frog Fractions 2." It will probably be called something like "Lost Kingdom: Reckoning," by Fork Bomb LLC or "Turbo Finance 2015" by Vespenta Holdings. Does that Russian flight sim on Desura look suspicious to you? Better play it just to make sure! Or maybe it'll be a plugin for Bonzi Buddy and you'll discover it when your grandpa asks you to make his email go faster. Wait, are you playing Frog Fractions 2 right now?"

I should have read the description in the Kickstarter page. :)

Is there any "Nuke a thread from the orbit" Greasemonkey script or do I need to make my own. I know I shouldn't do it but I keep clicking on the "Dark Souls 2 downgrade" topic and my head just can't handle it anymore. And here I was thinking the Killzone resolution topic was bad.

Meanwhile, Geforce Experience failed to install new drivers once again but just the drivers worked after crashing once, who_knew.jpg

Is there any "Nuke a thread from the orbit" Greasemonkey script or do I need to make my own. I know I shouldn't do it but I keep clicking on the "Dark Souls 2 downgrade" topic and my head just can't handle it anymore. And here I was thinking the Killzone resolution topic was bad.

Meanwhile, Geforce Experience failed to install new drivers once again but just the drivers worked after crashing once, who_knew.jpg

My geforce experience sort of does that too... I just tried to update and I had to alt+f4 out of it, restart it, and then hope it starts applying and won't let me exit.

What's wrong with the downgrade thread? I'm still legitimately concerned about it...

Crazy question....but does anyone have a working (good) config file for the DSFix for Dark Souls? I think I tweaked mine to the point where it doesn't work so great anymore and don't have a ton of free time to reconfigure it.

Grief.exe

I know Grief was talking about the Dark Souls 2 embargo lifting -- did we get any good new info about the game, particularly the PC version?

Haven't seen anything at all.

The only thing we have seen is confirmation from a Namco PR rep that all of that demo/trailer footage shown with the different lighting is from the PC version. The writer does concede that it was an off-hand conversation, so don't take it as gospel http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=103960797&postcount=520

The previous demos/trailers being the PC version is literally the only plausible explanation at this point. Namco shows off a demo and trailer with specular highlights, high-res textures, normal mapping, silky frame rate (60FPS in the trailer), awesome lighting, darkness mechanic, and the console version ships with literally none of those graphical features and frame rate issues.

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom