• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sajjaja

Thai ?

tTc9cKQ.gif

lol that was exactly what I was thinking.

I'm waiting that too :(

Same here :/

+1

Played it on PS3 for a hundred hours or something. Would double dip upon Steamworks integration.

Double dipping was worth it for me (in theory) because it's been lower in price than the DLC ever was on PS3 (plus I sold my copy anyway because the DLC was taking forever to release).

I put over 100 hours in and got platinum in it on PS3 as well.

They need to add Steamworks already to DS1 so I can play it. :c

Yup.

Dark Souls 2 will pull you back in.

Patience.

Your FAITH in the game at this point is amazing. I'm expecting a giant letdown beyond anything I can even imagine.

You may just be the Solaire of SteamGAF.

I am playing the original painkiller and i noticed that 1280x1024 looks better than 1600x1200. Correct me if i am wrong but shouldn't 1600x1200 look better since it is higher?

I am playing the original painkiller and i noticed that 1280x1024 looks better than 1600x1200. Correct me if i am wrong but shouldn't 1600x1200 look better since it is higher?

Not if the textures suck and it's just scaling/stretching them to the higher resolution.
Go take a 800x600 image and scale it up to 1600x1200, it's not pretty.

Parsnip

I find it somewhat difficult to understand how dismayed people are about the DkS2 downgrades. Personally, I think I'm going to have a lot of fun with the game. The whole light thing always seemed like a gimmick that would get old very fast, so I'm quite optimistic that it's still going to be a jolly good time.

But I'm not here to tell people how to feel of course, I'm just ever optimistic.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
hello

ModBot said:
Instructions for Rhaknar:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Megabyte Punch -- MB-397F0820A83FCB7C - Taken by FauX. 5 entrants total.

t1394577656z1.png

Grief.exe

Your FAITH in the game at this point is amazing. I'm expecting a giant letdown beyond anything I can even imagine.

You may just be the Solaire of SteamGAF.

The gameplay impressions have been quite solid across the board. The lighting/graphical changes and the loss of a compelling gameplay mechanic are unfortunate, but hopefully they make a return for the PC version.

Levyne

Banned
The gameplay impressions have been quite solid across the board. The lighting/graphical changes and the loss of a compelling gameplay mechanic are unfortunate, but hopefully they make a return for the PC version.

You are referring to using torches, right?

19Kilo

Enjoy.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Critical Mass -- MB-7B457ED74C82B10E - Taken by fuzzy123

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
the backlash against DS2 (now that the series is popular of course) is a wonderful thing to see, as always the internet never fails me

They added a bunch of ambient lighting to all/most/some (depending who you ask) of the previously pitch black areas, so torch managing is no longer necessary in order to see ahead.

Ah ok. I always found that more annoying than anything else (torch out, look, shield out), so I'm kind of glad it is gone.

finished South Park last night. Last couple hours are insane. GOTY.

Do you need to be a "modern" south park fan to appreciate most of it? Or can you get by with enjoying the show like...10 years ago or whatever it was? (Edit. Shit it was 15...)

Sajjaja

Ah ok. I always found that more annoying than anything else (torch out, look, shield out), so I'm kind of glad it is gone.

How did you find it annoying if it wasn't in DS1 :eek: I forgot Tomb of Giants. Dat atmosphere and tension tho. It seems like a perfect progression. And I don't think it's necessarily about the fact that the torch thing is gone, but it just looks worse :(

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Do you need to be a "modern" south park fan to appreciate most of it? Or can you get by with enjoying the show like...10 years ago or whatever it was? (Edit. Shit it was 15...)

...there are only 17 seasons. So you will have missed 88% of the series content.

Specifically, the game also includes characters from later episodes and celebrities/political figures with show specific story lines that wouldn't make any sense for how they are inserted into the story/game if you haven't seen the show.

If you want I can give you a list, but giving you a list of the episodes that share major characters is problematic; as it would ruin some of the twists and jokes in the game.

If you want, you can view the entire series (except 3 episodes) at southparkstudios.com.

Kaleinc

Banned
the backlash against DS2 (now that the series is popular of course) is a wonderful thing to see, as always the internet never fails me
Shattered dreams, unrealistically high expectations and all that jazz :)
I'll wait and see for myself. And I just realized what feels off about DS2 - look at the cover art, the fur.

Rhaknar

Shattered dreams, unrealistically high expectations and all that jazz :)
I'll wait and see for myself. And I just realized what feels off about DS2 - look at the cover art, the fur.

i was watching the DS2 quicklook and all i could think of was "hey its dark souls, but not in the locations ive done for 200 hours, yay". And even tho i expect the PC version to be prettier, the game was always ugly except for the art direction (even with dsfix), so I dont know what magical amazing looking game people remember in DS1

mannerbot

What backlash have you seen? Assuming you're not talking about the graphics in the final product as compared to previous demos, the reception's been overwhelmingly positive.

Rhaknar

What backlash have you seen? Assuming you're not talking about the graphics in the final product as compared to previous demos, the reception's been overwhelmingly positive.

the backlash usually starts and stops (as in, it turns into "im canceling my pre order waaah") with the graphics, but also the whole lightning thing with the previous dark caves now not needing a torch and how that is for casuals (because that dark cave in DS1 was so fun to do...)

Im talking about the internet mind you, not just gaf. there are other places out there :p

...there are only 17 seasons. So you will have missed 88% of the series content.

Specifically, the game also includes characters from later episodes and celebrities/political figures with show specific story lines that wouldn't make any sense for how they are inserted into the story/game if you haven't seen the show.

Yeah I guess that is the concern. I think I checked out around the time of the Britney Spears episode... Just felt it had kind of "peaked".

Will wait on it I think and maybe watch a few episodes first.

Salsa

I actually kinda disagree with Casimir here

If you want I can give you a list, but giving you a list of the episodes that share major characters is problematic; as it would ruin some of the twists and jokes in the game.

If you want, you can view the entire series (except 3 episodes) at southparkstudios.com.

there's definetly some references, mostly visual (if you go to the kids closets you see costumes and memorabilia from the most famous episodes). Some characters are much more prevalent now in South Park (butters, randy marsh) than before, so they play a big role and that might be.. weird? if you stopped early, same with clyde and some others, but it's honestly nothing that affects your experience with the game deeply IMO.

I found it hilarious and great on it's own, and I havent watched South Park in a long time either. Didnt feel like I missed a thing of the experience by not having watched the show lately, and if I did it was nothing circumstancial that affected my enjoyment of it.

Also, I know the game is about South Park and the writing first and foremost, but it's just really mechanically FUN, like Paper Mario. Just really really fun to play, even if it's not challenging.

Card Boy

Banned
can someone make me a Deus Ex The Fall PC OT banner, with the words "I Didn't Ask For This" I'm putting a OT together since the game got pushed closer by a week.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Also, I know the game is about South Park and the writing first and foremost, but it's just really mechanically FUN, like Paper Mario. Just really really fun to play, even if it's not challenging.

I agree with this weirdo who is still celebrating Christmas three months after the fact. I still haven't used fast travel in part because the battles are fun.

Yeah, I was about to say that myself. It sounds like a tedious mechanic that would get old very quick.

Quiet you.

I hope Frozen Endzone goes on sale before release. I want that $100 DDE.

There's a $100 digital deluxe edition? Wut?

I agree with this weirdo who is still celebrating Christmas three months after the fact. I still haven't used fast travel in part because the battles are fun.

As I said earlier, the game remind me a lot of costume quest -- fast travel becomes important when you aren't really getting into battles and you just want to turn quests in. Also, there's a level cap at 15, so once you hit it, random battles are useless for the most part unless you're grinding money (and unless you're going for the achievement where you don't sell anything, you won't need to) or doing it for other achievements (DIRE AIDS) or quests you may have missed.

Arthea

Take that back, both of you!

I hope it's really as fun as you guys say, as I'm fan of games that are fun to play and that means I will be buying SP after all, not now though, no.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom