• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

I'm in the same position with Betrayer. I passed on it when it was 33% off as I figured it'd go on sale again before coming out of Early Access, but that's looking unlikely.

I never knew about the game until recently. I do recall hearing about it but only vaguely.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Mh mh mh.

Well then a little advice:
if you intend to follow the sale here on the SteamGAF threads, I'd suggest you to clear your whole life schedule for a couple of weeks, install the live thread extension and then just start scrolling as you never scrolled in your own life, forcing your eyes to scan every post searching for:
1) giveaways
2) pricing errors
3) prices comparison with other sites
4) that one guy who'll show up for sure starting to steal giveaways keys

They'll be the best two weeks of your life, and then you'll go in withdrawal until the next sale. :(
Here's my own list:

1. Wait for the daily deals. There's always someone who doesn't listen and gets burned. We laugh at them, so if you don't want to be the subject of our jokes, then wait for the daily deals. Even if you do want to be, you should still wait for the daily deals and then ask us to laugh at you just because. Moral of the story: wait for the daily deals.
  2. If it's a daily, it probably won't be cheaper as a flash sale or community choice. This also applies to any of the other two.
  3. Wait for the daily deals.
  4. If you know nothing about a certain game and have to ask whether it's good, that means you don't want it and are only interested in it because it's cheap. Don't even bother asking, you'll probably end up buying it anyway.
  5. If you see a good price mistake on something you're insterested in, jump right away. It won't last long and you'll regret it if you don't.
  6. When the deals change, prices are going to be wrong for a short while (usually less than 2 minutes). It always happens, and there's always someone complaining about it. Don't be that person, please.
  7. Look out for hidden deals! It's very common to have many games for extremely low prices that aren't featured as dailies, flashes or community choices. If the discount is 70% or more, it's probably safe to buy them then, but it's still a good idea to wait until the last sale day to make sure it won't get a better deal.
  8. If this is the last day of the sale and the game you want didn't appear as a daily, flash sale or community choice, this is your chance to grab it at a discount. The alternative is waiting for a future sale, but there's no guarantee it will be cheaper then.
  9. If a licensed game you want is cheap enough (AND if it's a daily) and you have the money to spare, grabbing it would be a good idea. You never know when it will be delisted.
  10. WAIT FOR THE DAILY DEALS.
  11. When the deals change, prices are going to be wrong for a short while. It always happens, and there's always someone complaining about it. Don't be that person, please. In less than 5 minutes it will be fixed, I promise you that.
  12. No, we don't know if Morningbus Presents Sexy Pinball Defense: A Metroidvania Story will be cheaper or a daily. We could lie to you or make a guess, but you can do that yourself.
  13. Will Bad Rats 2 be cheaper in a future sale? It's possible. Unless Disney bought the rights to it, in which case the most likely outcome is that it will never go on sale again. Yes, I am still bitter about the Star Wars games.
  14. Sometimes games are cheaper in other regions. There are several kind GAFfers who are willing to buy it for you, so feel free to ask them.
  15. Other times you can find better prices in other sites (Amazon, GMG, Nuuvem, etc.). You can buy on Amazon from anywhere in the world, you just need to use a US address when doing it (many people use Google HQ).
  16. Giveaways are fun! But don't be greedy and take everything you see. Remember that you're sharing the thread with dozens of other posters, who also deserve a chance of getting something.
  17. Try not to feel too bad about buying stuff you know you'll never play. Playing games is the exception here, not the rule. Of course, that doesn't mean you should actively waste your money. Be smart, and if you are going to purchase crap, do it when it's really cheap.
  18. Don't ever, EVER, mess with The Monk. The last two fools who did it didn't live to tell the tale. I'm being serious. Also he's one of the kindest guys ever, so if you mess with him you're an asshole and I already hate you.
  19. Did I mention that you should wait for the daily deals?

Oh you are going to have great fun!

Daily hype with GAFfers, price mistakes, all deals will be horrible for everyone during the first 1-2 minutes because discounts are not yet applied, people making the same question over and over, too many options, not enough time, never-ending growing backlog, community votes making you wonder "why did people voted for that one?", flash deals, making decisions on which one you should buy among two titles when the answer is "both" and many, many more. All this with the most kind, amazing fellow GAFfers who will be ready to help you with questions, choices, prices, bundles and any other information regarding Steam Sales.
<3 SteamGAF

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The Train Sim DLC will probably be the last things I ever buy during a sale. I should get my hands some of the earliest stuff just in case the licences involved are set to expire, but I'd rather get the actual games out of the way first.

I am actually envious of you. I would love to be able to do my first sale over again. Sales eventually become more boring (but still great) once you've gotten everything you wanted.

hannawhat12oma.gif

;)

Dolor

If you're coming out of sales just getting "everything you wanted" then you're doing it wrong. The right way to do a steam sale is to come away with about 90 games you had no intention of buying, or probably even knew existed.

I jest about this for the most part but there is a kernel of sincerity about this as well. Some of the best games I've played on steam are games I never really knew anything about and just picked up on a whim during a steam sale.

I completely agree. Mount and Blade, X3, Cities in Motion 2, Van Helsing, Majesty 2, and probably many more games were all games I bought on sale knowing little about them and ended up loving. But on your first sales, you're picking up games you know you'll love for peanuts.

But I have over 250 games on my wishlist, so no sale can ever truly be boring for me.

Arthea

I think if they keep releasing these dlc's someone must be buying, never doubt what a niche market is capable to do.

But that still doesn't add up. How many people even have this kind of money to spend on one game?
Let's say Konami releases proper Suikoden 6 with Murayama, high budget, even on PC and makes every of 108 stars paid dlc, that adds up to let's say $1000 for a game. Would I buy it? big fat no, oh I would cry rivers and moan and complain and be in general miserable, but I wouldn't buy it, as I can't afford it. Oh don't get me wrong, I've spent much more than that on gaming, but during long periods of time and for many games. Inspite of how much I want a game, if I can't buy it, I can't. You see what I mean?
I hope I don't give Konami any ideas... If they'll do just what I described, please, shoot me :(

Annubis

I guess you can add them in a sub list as "nudity can be readily modded in".

So that includes all Elder Scrolls, Sims, GTA's, Fallout's and Mount & Blade

Sorry but that Mount & Blade nude mod is more of a boner killer than anything =/
Those models just aren't made to be sexy.

But that still doesn't add up. How many people even have this kind of money to spend on one game?

The developers do not expect a player to buy all the DLC. The DLC is just options that the developers wants to have available so that players can choose and play their favorite routes and trains.

_hekk05

Banned
There was a guy who did that with Rogue Legacy, prolly the reason we have a banlist for Modbot giveaways.

So... What happens if I trade a game for Rage now? lol

That said, I hope they have summer trading cards this time. 9 badges ready to craft, gonna unload those cards into the market fast and earn me some dough

Arthea

The developers do not expect a player to buy all the DLC. The DLC is just options that the developers wants to have available so that players can choose and play their favorite routes and trains.

You probably have a point, I'm not into train sims, so I might be imagining it in the wrong way, but I thought you get dlcs when ingame routes get boring to you (or you don't like them), and I don't think that buying one or few new routes would remedy that, otoh may be it would, as you say, buying some favourite routes can be enough for someone forever.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So... What happens if I trade a game for Rage now? lol

That said, I hope they have summer trading cards this time. 9 badges ready to craft, gonna unload those cards into the market fast and earn me some dough

I'm curious as to whether or not the cards will have a cap/expiry date this time around. The lack of a level cap and finality of the Winter Sale cards obviously worked on some people, such as Palm Desert (100k) and the other guy (170k).

Turfster

You probably have a point, I'm not into train sims, so I might be imagining it in the wrong way, but I thought you get dlcs when ingame routes get boring to you (or you don't like them), and I don't think that buying one or few new routes would remedy that, otoh may be it would, as you say, buying some favourite routes can be enough for someone forever.

This is for the same market that used to build on a big table in the attic and bought 10cm of railway track for 50€ a piece.

Kiru

Old news ?
Indiegala Bonus games leaked:

//N.P.P.D. RUSH//- The milk of Ultraviolet, Gunman Clive and Driftmoon

topyy

The IndieGala Supreme Bundle

Battlepaths (Desura,greenlight)
Little Racers STREET
KAMI

Tier 2
Probably Archery
Humanity Asset
Supreme Commander
Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance
Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising
???
???
???

Dolor

Battlepaths (Desura)
Little Racers STREET
KAMI

Tier 2
Probably Archery
Humanity Asset
Supreme Commander
???
???
???

Supreme Commander is good times.

Lunaniem

Battlepaths (Desura)
Little Racers STREET
KAMI

Tier 2
Probably Archery
Humanity Asset
Supreme Commander
???
???
???

Little Racers Street is the new Hero Siege.

Kiru

Battlepaths (Desura)
Little Racers STREET
KAMI

Tier 2
Probably Archery
Humanity Asset
Supreme Commander
???
???
???
Old news ?
Indiegala Bonus games leaked:

//N.P.P.D. RUSH//- The milk of Ultraviolet, Gunman Clive and Driftmoon
^They messed up and people saw the bonus games already and activated those...^^

Arthea

meanwhile Xseed forums are still down

I have Driftmoon and remember wanting to play it, it never came to fruition and I already don't remember why I wanted to play it.

random

Featuring the new Hero Siege:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Megabyte Punch -- MB-638040A238A6A34C - Taken by Kiru. 22 entrants total.
Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance -- MB-A4F2649D860DB64C - Taken by Ingueferroque. 9 entrants total.
Supreme Commander -- MB-E411D0A227B3E637 - Taken by crazyrabbits. 9 entrants total.
Little Racers STREET -- MB-0B44A77C3724BFD5 - Taken by Saty. 14 entrants total.

t1394735255z1.png

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
idk man I like the beaches

oh right you mean argentina

then, yeah

ooooooooooooooooo
*highfive*

I'll never get tired of saying it: the only thing you guys have is the Reina Africana dessert. And maybe chivitos too, but nothing else!

Uruguayan Truco is the worst game mankind ever created. Even worse than Big Rigs.
Face it, Argentine beaches are pure shit. Just revel on the fact that you guys have places like Bariloche, Ushuaia or the
extremely boring to cross by bus/car
Pampa.
Uruguayan Truco is the best card game ever invented, you'll see the light one day!

So...Lego Marvel?

Never played a Lego game, because come on, I'm 21. But this actually looks good and an open Marvel-verse Manhattan with all kinds of Heroes sounds great.

Any impressions?
Oh, you are a mat00r gamer?

JaseC, if I remember right: You 100% Ass Creed 3: How the fuck are you supposed to play Fanorona? It's total bullshit that Achilles is able to combo all my shit from a corner because he's able to approach/retreat in lines while I have no means to take his shit on approach. WTF!?
Wait, there is Fanorona in AC3?
Now I have to play that game.

In the last Steam sales I think I bought quite a lot DLCs

...for games I haven't even started playing yet
Welcome to the club :p

Here's my own list:
  1. If it's a daily, it probably won't be cheaper as a flash sale or community choice. This also applies to any of the other two.

<3 SteamGAF
Excellent list, but about that point in particular, there was only one instance IIRC where a flash/community was cheaper than the daily: Saints Row The Third in the 2012 Summer Sale

Nabs

PixelJunk Inc / Nom Nom Galaxy comes out today. Prices start at $9 and go all the way up to $10k, like a Kickstarter. I'll pick it up today if it's not completely broken.

Any word on OlliOlli? I need that.

StAidan

Don't want these. This giveaway's open to everyone!

ModBot said:
Instructions for StAidan:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Supreme Commander Forged Alliance -- MB-516B43B26507D3F2 - Taken by Saty. 6 entrants total.
Hostile Waters -- MB-0AEE29263107B413 - Taken by Fool (I dream of Zack Snyder). 6 entrants total.
ulgzbKC.png
Battlepaths (Desura) -- MB-7C56DAE97359383D - Taken by Frustrated_Grunt. 1 entrants total.
Supreme Commander -- MB-0DE16F4D3B0C8C23 - Taken by Sub Zero. 10 entrants total.

t1394726206z1.png

HoosTrax

PixelJunk Inc / Nom Nom Galaxy comes out today. Prices start at $9 and go all the way up to $10k, like a Kickstarter. I'll pick it up today if it's not completely broken.

Any word on OlliOlli? I need that.
I'll probably pick it up as well. I always feel a bit sad that the PJ PC ports probably didn't do all that well due to the multi-year gap between initial PS3 release and Steam release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom