• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

just woke up and got this, never happened before
pic

is this what happens when you start steam and its down? if so I cant believe its the first time its happened to me

obviously you aren't connected to internet, like we all
oh and in case you are wondering, neogaf is in our heads (><)

Steam has been down for a few days for me. I wonder what they are doing because this happens quite frequently now.
yup, daily, every evening at busy hours

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
thanks guys. everytime its down (and its a lot lately) I guess I was already signed in. Oh well. anyway just woke up, lost of new bundles i see. I assume that disciples 3 in th bundlestars is NOT the remake?

Tellaerin

just woke up and got this, never happened before

2609432-wtf.png

is this what happens when you start steam and its down? if so I cant believe its the first time its happened to me

You never forget your first time. >.>

Yes. Aside from blaming your Internet connection, it also deletes your stored password.

I used to think that too, but the password's still stored. Cancel out of the login screen and try to reconnect to Steam again by clicking on the icon and you'll be able to do it without manually entering your password, once the service is back up.

The_Monk

Just arrived home, downloaded F1 2013 so I can try and squeeze some hours during Free Weekend period, saw the new bundle which I hope it can make people play AP and Binary Domain and now Steam is down. What great timing they have!

Firebrand

You never forget your first time. >.>

I used to think that too, but the password's still stored. Cancel out of the login screen and try to reconnect to Steam again by clicking on the icon and you'll be able to do it without manually entering your password, once the service is back up.
Ah. Still, makes it harder to spam retry, which is perhaps the point.

Can I get some LA Noire impressions up in here, GAF?
A game with potential that doesn't live up to it.

It gets to be repetitive, while some of the cases are interesting the interview mechanic can be really frustrating at times. The setting is interesting and the acting is pretty cool. It's not a bad buy for $7.50.

FloatOn

imagine if you will, an ace attorney style choose your own adventure but with a completely broken, boring and just plain offensively bad world map you have to slog through to get to the interesting bits.

I survived 2 hours before I called it quits.

Zafir

Bah. Was playing with friends on Planet Explorers, alt tabbed for too long and it chucked me off. Now I can't get back in despite them still playing fine. Guess the steam version must connect or poll the steam servers when logging into the MP.

imagine if you will, an ace attorney style choose your own adventure but with a completely broken, boring and just plain offensively bad world map you have to slog through to get to the interesting bits.

I survived 2 hours before I called it quits.

Yup. It's long, the story is unfocused and the main character becomes an incredibly unsympathetic figure about halfway through. It's really not worth playing past the initial handful of hours.

Guy.brush

Seems like the perfect timing for STEAM to go down if you are EA. European launch of TITANFALL, lots of players streaming over to ORIGIN. I wonder...

Chronoja

Ricochet 2 GOTY?

I would actually find it amusing if they did release Ricochet 2 one day. Source engine 2, Tron meets James Bond where everyone hops around a big neon arena throwing their razor edged hats at one another like Oddjob. It could be glorious...or not, only one way to find out, make it happen Valve and we'll forget all about these connection troubles.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold

It's a good game with some major flaws. It has great graphics, a fantastic and authentic world and the presentation is top notch

What I didn't like about the game was that instead of giving you the "freedom" to solve cases, it feels like you just rearranging evidence and just move from point A to point B.
Also the game becomes incredibly dull towards the end and most of the characters (including the protagonist) are forgettable and generic

You're going to like it if you treat it as a linear adventure game with a few open world elements. It's definitely not what R* advertised

Tellaerin

I could be glorious...or not, only one way to find out, make it happen Valve and we'll forget all about these connection troubles.

Hey, we all think you're pretty glorious. ; )

If you ask me Sonic Racing is much better game than Typing of the Dead...

Yeah, Germany definitely got the better end of the deal this time, IMO. It doesn't begin to make up for all the times they've gotten the shaft with regard to censorship, but at least it's something.

Fuuuuck, Binary Domain in the bundle and I bought it last time it was on sale but haven't played it yet. Feeling that sting.

I hear that. Binary Domain and Alpha Protocol for me. I picked them up on sale over the holidays figuring that those were the best prices I'd see them at, because no way would they end up in a Humble Bundle anytime soon. More fool I, I guess.

Arthea

Seems like the perfect timing for STEAM to go down if you are EA. European launch of TITANFALL, lots of players streaming over to ORIGIN. I wonder...

oh!
steam being down benefits basically any service provider. It's their united attack!

If you ask me Sonic Racing is much better game than Typing of the Dead...

Sonic Racing Transformed is a damn great game, it's not fair to compare other games with it, as with DooM or Civ2 or FF7 or HoMM3, well, you get a jist.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Fuuuuck, Binary Domain in the bundle and I bought it last time it was on sale but haven't played it yet. Feeling that sting.

edit: just realized it was cheaper than it is in this bundle (8.75 BRL on Steam instead of the bundle's 5.99 USD). All's fine.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge

When taken from a certain perspective, I found it to be quite the worthwhile game.

I thought of it not as an open world game despite it's setting, not as an action game despite it's chase sequences, but as a linear adventure game with some moments where it goes into the above. The action sequences are just small parts of the overall experience, and while it's open world, it's best to let the partner A.I. drive everywhere in the game as he gives exposition and/or clues to the story. It's never worth to try and navigate on your own when your partner can simply just take you where you need to go.
Not to say driving around on one's own isn't worth it just to see the rather well done mostly period correct Los Angeles of the time period, but I say do that when you just feel like "taking a drive" to help go over the case in your head or to rewind after a particular difficult part of a case and sight see. I personally only did it as interest in art design, construction, and historical aspect. Beyond that the open world is just fluff, a nice extra that can really be ignored unless you feel the need to try and find all the hidden objects.

Some had problems with it's story and I had the issue as well at first, but I discovered rather than trying to play it straight through as a continuous game, to instead play it like an episodic police procedural (Law and Order, Inspector Morse, Dragnet, etc) and to take it purely as once a week. That way the flaws, the annoyances, and issues presented at playing it aren't compounded by constant pressure upon you by them.

The interrogation was the big selling point of the game, both for facial motion capture and the "intensity" of the scenes. I was rather pleased with the puzzle aspect of it, but only when I realised to myself that it was okay to get things wrong or incorrectly guess at something and let it go. Some I noticed suffered because they felt they had to get a 100% and restarted and it suffered for them like having to rewind a video just so someone else can catch up to the story when you already know it, it just messes up with the pacing of your own experience.

It is not a great game, it is not an amazing game, but all in all I enjoyed it over the several weeks it took me to play it because I spaced it out and my girlfriend and I came to quite appreciate going through just as we would a basic crime show to pass the time. Taking a break between cases or during mid-points of the big cases helped to keep it from ever feeling repetitive, and trying to figure out where it was all going on our own helped as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom