• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nzyme32

I thought I would share something I recently started doing with SteamGAF. I read a couple weeks ago that sitting down for long periods of time is actually horrible on your body, even for someone who is normally healthy.

I do way too much sitting, between studying, school, GAF, and gaming, I spend a ridiculous amount of time in a chair.

About every half hour I get up and do ~100 squats just to keep the blood flowing and keep the body from shutting down. You can do more or less depending on your exercise level.

I've been doing this the last week and I've been feeling very good. You guys should give it a try!

That's really sound advice. I've actually been doing it throughout the day as part of my training for tough mudder, a slightly mad half marathon.

I thought I would share something I recently started doing with SteamGAF. I read a couple weeks ago that sitting down for long periods of time is actually horrible on your body, even for someone who is normally healthy.

I do way too much sitting, between studying, school, GAF, and gaming, I spend a ridiculous amount of time in a chair.

About every half hour I get up and do ~100 squats just to keep the blood flowing and keep the body from shutting down. You can do more or less depending on your exercise level.

I've been doing this the last week and I've been feeling very good. You guys should give it a try!

I sit all day, well except while I'm sleeping. I wake up, get to work, start sitting in front of the computer, eat lunch, continue sitting, come home, and sit some more. The only time I may not be sitting is while I walk from bus to ship and home to bus and each takes under a minute.

Grief.exe

Or, use a standing desk!

I've thought about that, but my solution is far less expensive!

That's really sound advice. I've actually been doing it throughout the day as part of my training for tough mudder, a slightly mad half marathon.

I want to do a tough mudder as well!

I sit all day, well except while I'm sleeping. I wake up, get to work, start sitting in front of the computer, eat lunch, continue sitting, come home, and sit some more. The only time I may not be sitting is while I walk from bus to ship and home to bus and each takes under a minute.

Unfortunately, its not really socially acceptable to just jump up and start squat thrusting at work or school.

Arthea

that sounds so hard, I would rather kill 1000 demons in Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae, it counts for exercise, it does, because I get tired like I killed 1000 demons, well may be not that much, but it is tiresome!

GAFSTEAM thread's general mindset after 1 hour without Steam:
tumblr_mq8kt7QF301saes1ro1_500.gif

How else are we going to increase our backlog if we can't purchase anything?

Anyone else having trouble connecting to steam, the steam website etc

http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/http://store.steampowered.com/

:(

ffs need to shoot some zombies right now :(

Click any of the last 3 pages....

Yeah it's worse when you have a desk job and the winter doesn't exactly help. I've found going to the bathroom on the otherside of the building / different floor is a good solution as well.

if you work in a cube farm that is.

The_Monk

I try to run for a bit when I can. I know it involves leaving home but when I return I feel less fatigue, or should I say, a different type of fatigue.

Every now and then I get tired because I can't focus on a game or I simply do not know what to play next (because of the Backlog or because I recently finished a game). By going for a run I get my body tired (I'm happy with a 10 min. walk + 30 min. running, I know this is not much but my heart beats faster than it should just on any ordinary day without exercise already) and by getting physical fatigue the simple act of sitting and enjoying a game feels better to me. Can't really explain but I get more will and joy to play a game after doing that.

natertots

Finally got around to grabbing One Finger Death Punch. This game is incredibly addictive. I will not let me self move on to the next level until I have perfected the one I am on. I highly recommend this game to anyone who hasn't picked up yet.

Nzyme32

Apparently /r/steam having taken the down time well

How many times has steam been down these past few weeks? Anyone keeping notes?
www.reddit.com/r/SuicideWatch[1]
United States: 1-800-784-2433 (1-800-SUICIDE)
United States (en Espanol): 1-800-SUICIDA
United States-veterans 1-800-273-8255, Veterans Press 1
Europe Wide: 116 123 (free from any number)
Australia: 13 11 14
Belgium: 02 649 95 55
Brasil: 141
Canada: Numbers vary by region.
Deutschland: 0800 1110 111
Denmark: 70 20 12 01, www.livslinien.dk[2] or Skrivdet.dk
France: 01 40 09 15 22
Greece: 1018 or 801 801 99 99
Iceland: 1717
India: 91-44-2464005 0 or 022-27546669
Ireland: ROI - local rate: 1850 60 90 90 ROI - minicom: 1850 60 90 91
Israel: 1201
Italia: 800 86 00 22
Malta: 179
Japan 03-3264-4343
Netherlands: 0900 1130113
New Zealand: 0800 543 354
Nippon: 3 5286 9090
Norway: 815 33 300
Osterreich: 116 123
Serbia: 0800 300 303 or 021 6623 393; Online chat: http://www.centarsrce.org/index.php/kontakt[3]
South Africa: LifeLine 0861 322 322; Suicide Crisis Line 0800 567 567
Sverige: 020 22 00 60
Switzerland: 143
UK: 08457 90 90 90 or text 07725909090 or email jo@samaritans.org[4]
Uruguay: 7pm to 11 pm – Landlines 0800 84 83 (FREE) 2400 84 83 24/7 – Cell phone lines 095 738 483 *8483
Useful Websites
Dutch - www.113online.nl[5]
Greece - http://www.suicide-help.gr/[6]
International - http://www.befrienders.org/index.asp[7]
Spain - http://www.telefonodelaesperanza.org/[8]
United States - http://www.suicide.org/suicide-hotlines.html[9]
Uruguay - www.ultimorecurso.com/uy[10]

HoosTrax

I've been finding recently that I overuse my lower rib muscles way too much to keep my upper torso upright when I'm slouching in chairs (my legs are too short to have my feet planted on the ground for support).

I ordered a kneeling chair the other which will probably arrive Saturday. The idea being that since I do heavy back presses when I workout, it'll work better if I use the muscles I do have to keep an upright posture, instead of overworking my weak rib /lower chest muscles.

I game with a guy who plays games like Dota 2 and Titanfall while walking/running on his treadmill.

It's pretty hilarious when we're on the mumble and he starts pushing buttons on it to start his routine and people start asking if someone in the channel is hooked up to an EKG

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Just got Steam back up. I see that Infestation: Survivor Stories is 90% off.

Still probably won't buy it.

DocSeuss

Yes, sitting down for long periods of time is horrible on your body. Back when I used to get some massage therapy, I was told that knitters used to have horrible knots in their neck. Later, we started experiencing "typewriter shoulder," which was basically the same thing. Now we get it from computers. It can really screw up our arms and shoulders. Getting up to move every half hour is good for you.

A standing desk doesn't deal with shoulder stuff, just lower back stuff. The squats get your arms moving in a more neutral position, which is good.

That said (and bear in mind, I'm a sufferer of chronic pain/fatigue, so lol), 100 every half hour is a LOT, dude. Awesome.

Wooo F1 2013 being on a free is a very nice touch from Valve/Codemasters.

I was thinking of booting up 2012 to drive around Melbourne but now I'll do it on this!

Zia

2.7 GB CS: GO "patch?"

Finally get on and I guess it's making me redownload the game... belch.

Edit: Blech! Was supposed to say blech... I'm a lady...

I spend most of my day sitting too and It gives some aches on my back. In the last two years I've started running and doing some pull ups and It worked: I feel a lot better and I now simply enjoy going outside - gasp! - running and doing some exercise.

Start slowly, give yourself a target and you'll soon realize that what seemed to be a chore before it's actually more fun than what you believed.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
has your day not had enough bullshit? have some of mine: wife is leaving me

need links to sexy beaches plz

this post is brought to you by livejournal dot com
Sad to hear that, man :(

Hopefully you two will be able to sit down and fix your issues. Whatever may happen, I hope you can stay strong. Feel free to vent here or via PM/Steam chat if you ever need it.

Shame you didn't, I haven't been to Ushuaia but Bariloche and it's whereabout are real nice (I heard good things about Mendoza too, and I'm going there in a few weeks :D). Punta del Este's beaches are special, in the sense that there is a shit-ton of people all the time. If you don't like crowded places one is better served by going to the smaller ones elsewhere.
Uruguayan Truco da bes, if you know that abomination known as Argentine Truco then the upgrade is not difficult :)
With a bit of luck (not really luck, just money and time :p) I'll be able to visit those places somewhere in the future. Hope you enjoy your trip; if you or anybody else ever comes to Buenos Aires we should totally do a Latin American-GAF meet-up. I know there are a couple of ArgieGAFfers here, though I can't remember where exactly do they live.

FloatOn

I'm sorry, man. : /

Some people have suggested finding something to play to help you through the hard times, but others seem worried that you'll come to associate gaming with what you're going through right now. Having leaned on games to see me through some bad spots in the past, I'm in the first camp - having something to focus on that gave me a sense of satisfaction and a feeling of control was a big help, and it didn't hurt my love of gaming or the games that I played then. Everyone's different, though. You'll know what's right for you.

yeah. thankfully gaming isn't all I do for fun because if it was I would have burned out on it a long time ago and probably associated it with bad feelings or something along those lines.

I think as long as I'm busy with something I will be okay. It's the times where I'm bored where things are the hardest. I know I sound like a broken record at this point but the support even from relative strangers on this thread is helpful and appreciated.

at this point I really don't want things to be over but if it is I'm going to use it as an opportunity to improve myself even further.

I hope steam gets brought back online for everyone having difficulty playing.

Zafir

Has anyone else's categories screwed up? I had a backup in Depressurizer and no matter how many times I load it up into Steam, it just isn't accepting it. Still shows everything as uncategorized.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
steam is back some heres some keys

ModBot said:
Instructions for Rhaknar:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance -- MB-44A459DB57712B84 - Taken by KenOD. 2 entrants total.
Supreme Commander -- MB-20B1C740E21366E8 - Taken by cardinalmind. 4 entrants total.
Little Racers STREET -- MB-F9BB9625E5FF5EB2 - Taken by adriano999. 11 entrants total.

t1394743533z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom