• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knurek

RealityExists, sorry to hear about your situation.

If you want my advice, I'd just go cold turkey when it comes to gaming, take a few months break. It's what I did when my fiancee left me a few years back.
First of all, you don't want to associate the crummy feelings you will undoubtedly feel in the coming weeks with a specific game/gaming as whole.
Second of all, running into imaginary worlds as a way to cope with realspace situation isn't exactly a healthy way to deal with problems in the long run.
Just give it a few months time, pick yourself up and clean the shit out of your life. Games will still be here for you, Steam sales as well.

Sorry for crappy English, and I hope everything will work out fine for you.

Tomodachi

Can I get some LA Noire impressions up in here, GAF?
Quoting everything KenOD said 100%. It's a great game but you'll enjoy it more if you take it as an episodic game, just play one at a day or less. I'm at like 3/4 and am a little burned out but it's really interesting. +100 points if you watch Mad Men.

If you want my advice, I'd just go cold turkey when it comes to gaming, take a few months break. It's what I did when my fiancee left me a few years back.
First of all, you don't want to associate the crummy feelings you will undoubtedly feel in the coming weeks with a specific game/gaming as whole.
Second of all, running into imaginary worlds as a way to cope with realspace situation isn't exactly a healthy way to deal with problems in the long run.
Just give it a few months time, pick yourself up and clean the shit out of your life. Games will still be here for you, Steam sales as well.

That is just the worst. There's some games I can't play anymore because of what they remind me of.

Pachimari

Is Vice City and San Andreas any good on PC? Is there any free aim? Any noteworthy mods?

I'm thinking of getting the GTA bundle for $10 or else I'm just going with Max Payne 3.

Is Vice City and San Andreas any good on PC? Is there any free aim? Any noteworthy mods?

Uh, well the resolution scaling is stupid because if you change your resolution higher than 4:3 aspect ratio then it stretches out the screen and crops it for some reason. And the widescreen option rockstar put in for some reason makes everyone look like stick characters. But otherwise it's fine.

And yes there's free aim with keyboard/mouse and the San Andreas multiplayer mods.

I'm thinking of getting the GTA bundle for $10 or else I'm just going with Max Payne 3.
Vice City is already 40 hours of gameplay so I'd say get it.

But remember that 4 and Episodes use GFWL and we don't know if Rockstar is going to do anything about it.

Sini

Oh wow, I can't even play CS:GO with bots thanks to Steam Being offline. Match stays paused until it can connect to Steam servers.

GAFSTEAM thread's general mindset after 1 hour without Steam:
tumblr_mq8kt7QF301saes1ro1_500.gif

Grief.exe

Uh, well the resolution scaling is stupid because if you change your resolution higher than 4:3 aspect ratio then it stretches out the screen and crops it for some reason. And the widescreen option rockstar put in for some reason makes everyone look like stick characters. But otherwise it's fine.

And yes there's free aim with keyboard/mouse and the San Andreas multiplayer mods.

Grab the GTA III/VC/SA/Max Payne 1/2 Widescreen fixes

http://gtaforums.com/topic/547841-gtanfsmpother-widescreen-fixes-pack/

They're nice, but I think that the PS2 versions were superior. The camera is weird in the PC version. The games use free aim, but the controls are abysmal and if you play with auto-aim (or even connect a controller I think) the camera it locks itself behind the main character and will not move.

So yeah, even though I have the games, I only fire them up every once in a while to take a quick ride around Liberty/Vice City, and then just uninstall them.

Nabs

Lets just hope this downtime issue gets figured out before Dark Souls. I can only imagine how angry people will get when that starts to happen.

Nabs

If you are a total hussy for that time period, it's worth giving it a shot. I can't see anyone else getting much out of it though.

For me it was wonderful just drowning in the atmosphere.

I think I liked it, but man, that game is long as fuuuuuuu. I started to get bored with it, so I loaded up SweetFX and created some really weird 1950s technicolor-type filter. It got me through it.

FloatOn

I appreciate this and I will take it to heart.

How the hell I haven't played COMIX ZONE before despite knowing the (name of the) game for like 20 years! What an awesome concept. I never owned Mega Drive myself but I borrowed (traded for SNES) one with dads new wifes sons in my childhood but only played games like Sonics and Road Rash

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I think I liked it, but man, that game is long as fuuuuuuu. I started to get bored with it, so I loaded up SweetFX and created some really weird 1950s technicolor-type filter. It got me through it.

Yeah, Homicide is cool but has like zero bearing on the overarching plot and makes up like a third of the game. They could have compressed a lot.

Grief.exe

I thought I would share something I recently started doing with SteamGAF. I read a couple weeks ago that sitting down for long periods of time is actually horrible on your body, even for someone who is normally healthy.

I do way too much sitting, between studying, school, GAF, and gaming, I spend a ridiculous amount of time in a chair.

About every half hour I get up and do ~100 squats just to keep the blood flowing and keep the body from shutting down. You can do more or less depending on your exercise level.

I've been doing this the last week and I've been feeling very good. You guys should give it a try!

r3n4ud

I thought I would share something I recently started doing with SteamGAF. I read a couple weeks ago that sitting down for long periods of time is actually horrible on your body, even for someone who is normally healthy.

I do way too much sitting, between studying, school, GAF, and gaming, I spend a ridiculous amount of time in a chair.

About every half hour I get up and do ~100 squats just to keep the blood flowing and keep the body from shutting down. You can do more or less depending on your exercise level.

I've been doing this the last week and I've been feeling very good. You guys should give it a try!
Or, use a standing desk!

We are a gaming forum not a fitness place!
WqYTuOr.gif

Tellaerin

has your day not had enough bullshit? have some of mine: wife is leaving me

need links to sexy beaches plz

this post is brought to you by livejournal dot com

I'm sorry, man. : /

Some people have suggested finding something to play to help you through the hard times, but others seem worried that you'll come to associate gaming with what you're going through right now. Having leaned on games to see me through some bad spots in the past, I'm in the first camp - having something to focus on that gave me a sense of satisfaction and a feeling of control was a big help, and it didn't hurt my love of gaming or the games that I played then. Everyone's different, though. You'll know what's right for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom