• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Whoa, I actually got approved.
I was worried that'd never happen, Hi SteamGAF!

Not really sure what to make my first post, so I guess I'll just say, I like video games and I like video games on steam as well.

Not really more I can say, can't wait to talk to you all more.
If anyone wants to add me on Steam for video games like Killing Floor or Left 4 Dead 2, I'd be down for that.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/VulcanRevolver/

Welcome. You should buy a game to celebrate. ;) I never add people myself, outside of when I need to buy something through a different trader, since I generally don't chat unless spoken to, but feel free to add me if you want.

Welcome to the madhouse! Hope you enjoy your stay! :D

If you were wondering, the comely lass in JaseC's avatar (and others') is the lovely and talented Saoirse Ronan. (She has a bit of a following around these parts, you see.) Everything else is irrelevant you'll probably pick up over time, but feel free to ask questions if you have any!

Okay, so I'm in a silly mood today. Sillier than usual, I mean. I blame the cold meds. >.>

You should have heated them up first.

*crickets*

Relax.MX

iBldvTOlJg7ub.jpg

What games are the easiest to get all achievements?

To the Moon, is only one and you just need to finish this charming story

Caerith

You can miss another in 400 days, jumping into the ditch when a car passes
and seeing dead doug/carley

I had to replay 400 Days to get both of those. At least The Wolf Among Us has checkpoints for the "you have to replay to get achievements" bit but I still wish they hadn't gone this way.

Welcome. You should buy a game to celebrate.
Bought two actually, thanks to the SEGA bundle, got Alpha Protocol and Hell Yeah! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit.

I'm probably going to play Alpha Protocol first since I hear quite good things about it, but have never managed to experience it for myself.

Ruruja

Hope I did this right. Enjoy :)

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

The 39 Steps -- MB-47E2166DEEE114D9 - Taken by Tomodachi
Fairy Bloom Freesia -- MB-F36771E3302DD665 - Taken by Evrain
Little Racers STREET -- MB-13108655A54E9610 - Taken by Relax.MX

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Fingers crossed that I don't.
I'll do my best to follow all the rules. :)

Rule #1: install Enhanced Steam

Not really, but a lot of people find it useful. And I can help with any issues you may have with the software.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Thomas Was Alone achivements are pretty easy to get. Just have to replay some stages a few times, but it takes around 3 hours.

Only if you miss a collectable. As long as you pay attention to your surroundings it's easy to 100% in one run as the collectables aren't really hidden.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
No need to tell me that man, I've been using it for the past year or so.

It's saved my bacon a few times when I went to purchase something only to find out it has SecuROM DRM.

iTBTKBqQXbkqk.gif

JaseC

It seems Hegemony Rome is 20% off for the next few days. I should make good on my promise to Longbow.

mannerbot

TBH, I'd probably still trade with him. Are you sure it's not a misunderstanding?

I responded in the Sega Weekly thread. All I wanted was for him to try contacting support first to see if they could help, and I stated that I would give him the key if they weren't willing to help out. I already had the other games in the bundle and just wanted Sonic, so I just wound up eating the key for no reason. And yeah, I did buy a bundle to replace his key even though the only game out of the entire bundle that I wanted was Sonic (and which I still don't have, of course), and I will be contacting Humble support on my end to see if I can maybe get Sonic from them. I've done plenty of trades on GAF and other gaming forums and I think that every single person I've ever traded with will vouch for me as a courteous, honest guy. And for the record, I would have replaced his key without him posting that in public if he did keep refusing to try e-mailing support (which is of course what wound up happening after all, only he decided to give me negative feedback instantly first).

Turfster

Oh Thi4f.
Why resort to fucking jump scares punched up with "creepy music"?
The
dummies that moved, weeping angel style and the corpses that showed up were pretty cool,
but you ruined it by punching it up with that stupid chord... but then you ruin pretty much everything in the game by punching it up with a loud noise. "You pickpocketed a dude without him noticing, awesome! BRZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP."

JaseC

I've stopped playing Thi4f and I doubt I'll ever bother with it again. If I didn't just pre-order the game for the pre-order goodies I'd probably be miffed.

JaseC

what promise?

I said I'd buy Hegemony Rome sooner rather than later. Longbow was happy to give me a key for Hegemony: Philip of Macedon -- which was pulled when the Gold Edition went up -- for free as I already owned said Gold Edition, but it was a bit of a circus: the key I had for the GE wouldn't register on Longbow's site, so it had to be added manually, followed by Philip needing to be added manually, however the Philip key wasn't Steam-redeemable even though it should have been, so the bloke I was talking to had to request one from Valve. Big props to Rick for obliging my request and putting up with the shenanigans that followed! In fact, he should give lessons to Ubi and Warner employees on how to request keys. ;)

Which chapter did you get to?

Chapter 2, which sounds bad but I kept having to restart the first chapter due to the awful level design not being conducive to backtracking.

mannerbot

There is little luck. The game is mostly about skills.

Yep. If it were as luck-dependent as newer players seem to think, I never would have cared about Spelunky. It's a game of knowledge first and foremost, though obviously reflexes and hand-eye coordination help. I'm confident that I could beat the normal game at least 5/10 tries even though I haven't played in months.

edit: oh and, dk_ wound up going offline on Steam right after I replaced his key but it appears that he actually did get Typing of the Dead? How is it that the trade worked out for him and not me? o_O

Arthea

I said I'd buy Hegemony Rome sooner rather than later. Longbow was happy to give me a key for Hegemony: Philip of Macedon -- which was pulled when the Gold Edition went up -- for free as I already owned said Gold Edition, but it was a bit of a circus: the key I had for the GE wouldn't register on Longbow's site, so it had to be added manually, followed by Philip needing to be added manually, however the Philip key wasn't Steam-redeemable even though it should have been, so the bloke I was talking to had to request one from Valve. Big props to Rick for obliging my request and putting up with the shenanigans that followed! In fact, he should give lessons to Ubi and Warner employees on how to request keys. ;)

Ubi taking lessons? You can imagine that? (><)
Does it ever happen to you to get steam key for a retail game that doesn't provide one from Valve? Just curious.

Knurek

Chapter 2, which sounds bad but I kept having to restart the first chapter due to the awful level design not being conducive to backtracking.

JaseC, it's not a collectathon, you know. :) (try TR2013 for that, no missing Jiggies that I can think of).

Turfster

Oh, you hadn't even gotten to some of the truly horrendous stuff yet... but yeah, the signs of rot were pretty much obvious from (before) then.

JaseC, it's not a collectathon, you know. :) (try TR2013 for that, no missing Jiggies that I can think of).

Actually, it is.

Arthea

I read XSEED in this page, what is the meaning of this? Update on Traisl in the Sky Steam release? TELL ME SOMETHING DAMNIT!

On the contrary, Xseed forums are down again, and there is no new info and nowhere to look for it on possible Trails release date :(
(I still believe it's this spring for the first game)

Yeah dk you gotta give some time and try to work out, give a gaffer the benefit of the doubt come on man. Especially with all the problems steam has been having today.

JaseC

Does it ever happen to you to get steam key for a retail game that doesn't provide one from Valve? Just curious.

I thought I sent an e-mail to Nordic about Painkiller: Gold (which was pulled when Painkiller: Black released), in which I offered to chase down a retail copy if need be, but when I went back to the tab some time later my message was still in the form (generally with web-based contact forms, upon submission you either get a confirmation page or the form clears itself), and I haven't received a reply, so I don't think I actually submitted the message. Oops. ;) I also plan on hitting up Auran/N3V (who, I recently discovered, are one and the same) about the few Trainz games that have been yanked over the years -- they're still rather easy to find at retail.

For JaseC, life is a collectathon. ;)

Haha, rest assured I just collect Steam games... and Saoirse avatars, but fortunately only one of those costs money. ;) Although, there was that one time I paid for a VPN service with servers in Ireland so I could pinch an interview from RTE's website and upload it to YouTube for my fellow international fans.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold

Got one from Frogwares for The Testament of Sherlock Holmes and also CD Project RED were kind enough to give me one for TW2.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
iBldvTOlJg7ub.jpg

What games are the easiest to get all achievements?
I found Hell Yeah! to be pretty easy. Funnily enough, you can get every 'cheevo and still not 100% the game, as beating every challenge isn't one of them (which is my case; one day I'd like to beat them though, along with the DLC ones).

mannerbot

Hm, this is really strange. Has anyone had a Humble gift link fail on them? I guess I actually didn't own Medieval II: Total War either (in addition to Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed), as neither one is showing up in my games. I've restarted Steam twice now and it doesn't show up in my games owned list if I go to steampowered.com either. What is going on!

I cant speak for corrosive but yes, from what ive seen, its about the graphics. to each its own, but from the videos ive seen it looks like more dark souls, which is what I want. I dont care that its not the game that it could have been, but then again, I never do with any game (or movie, or whatever). I wont stop playing a game that exists because it doesnt look like a game that could / should have existed

For me it's about the principle mostly (but I won't lie, the graphics matter too... the original footage is the dark souls 2 I want to play. The PS2 port they put out on PS3/360 is not even close to the same game visually [and by all accounts, there have been some weird design changes as well]).

Primarily, it's because I don't like being lied to or deceived. So if the game they released only vaguely resembles the game they showed people in trailers and betas, I'm not going to support that practice with a blind full price preorder of the game on PC.

I did the same thing with Rayman Legends for Vita (and maybe the game in general, I can't remember when I bought the Steam version) -- I said I would not buy the Vita version until they restored all missing content for free. Once they patched the game and it went on sale around Thanksgiving, I picked it up.

Echoplx

Hm, this is really strange. Has anyone had a Humble gift link fail on them? I guess I actually didn't own Medieval II: Total War either (in addition to Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed), as neither one is showing up in my games. I've restarted Steam twice now and it doesn't show up in my games owned list if I go to steampowered.com either. What is going on!

Go here and see if it's listed under your licenses: http://store.steampowered.com/account

JaseC

Check your account history.

Edit: Beaten.

mannerbot

For me it's about the principle.

I don't like being lied to or deceived. So if the game they released only vaguely resembles the game they showed people in trailers and betas, I'm not going to support that practice with a blind full price preorder of the game on PC.

I did the same thing with Rayman Legends for Vita (and maybe the game in general, I can't remember when I bought the Steam version) -- I said I would not buy the Vita version until they restored all missing content for free. Once they patched the game and it went on sale around Thanksgiving, I picked it up.

I can respect that. I'll be buying it anyway because I know that it will be an amazing game, and taken out of context your stance is insane (WHAT A GRAPHICS WHORE HE WON'T BUY THE GAME BECAUSE OF TORCHES LOL) but yeah Scamco definitely willfully misrepresented the graphics.

Go here and see if it's listed under your licenses: http://store.steampowered.com/account

Check your account history.

Edit: Beaten.

Nope. What do now?? I've tried clicking the Humble activation link again of course, but it just says that the key has already been activated.

Stuff

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance -- MB-A3DFD6F4A863CD94 - Taken by Sub Zero. 1 entrants total.
Supreme Commander -- MB-C41825525F059C81 - Taken by PandaPandaPanda. 4 entrants total.

t1394755773z1.png

JaseC

Nope. What do now?? I've tried clicking the Humble activation link again of course, but it just says that the key has already been activated.

Assuming you've ensured it's your Steam account that's linked to your Humble account, contact Humble and provide a screenshot of your account history as evidence that the keys didn't actually redeem.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Only if you miss a collectable. As long as you pay attention to your surroundings it's easy to 100% in one run as the collectables aren't really hidden.
Yeah, I was amazed at how I was able to grab them all in a single playthrough of each level. I am always terrible when it comes to this stuff, missing things even in the most linear of games, but I got them all here.

I have to give credit to my sister for the jumping X times ones. I let her try the game for a while twice (but only levels I had already completed; I have a problem with people playing on my own save) and both achievements unlocked while she was playing. Not a big deal, because I would have gotten them eventually (I was at about half point).

mannerbot

Assuming that you've ensured it's your Steam account that's linked to your Humble account, contact Humble and provide a screenshot of your account history as evidence that the keys didn't actually redeem.

Yep, I was logged in to my Humble account and also the correct profile displays next to the redemption links. Already sent them an e-mail, I guess I'll send them that screenshot when they get back to me.

Knurek

In for $6 on that SEGA bundle. Is it possible to get more Mega Drive games as DLC or something?

If you buy them on Steam, sure. There's around 40 of them total, including early Treasure games and Shining games.
Pity there are no Konami games in there. Or more Mega Drive games in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom