• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levyne

Banned
When replaying through DOOM 1 and 2 recently, I used mouse and keyboard because i had actually forgotten that it is supposed to be keyboard only. Still no looking up or down, though.

Happy birthday you guys.

Question for everyone, i'm going to be building my first computer soon (yay! etc.) but i'm curious regarding hard-drives.

1. Can i utilise one of my external hard-drives in the machine?

2. Which are the brands to avoid?

3. SSD is a must have, right?

I've got most of my parts picked out (And a friend of mine who works for Dell is getting me a couple of bits for nothing) but this one.

When replaying through DOOM 1 and 2 recently, I used mouse and keyboard because i had actually forgotten that it is supposed to be keyboard only. Still no looking up or down, though.

Yea i fired it up earlier. I remember back then it was arrow keys and ctrl to shoot lol.

Happy birthday you guys.

Question for everyone, i'm going to be building my first computer soon (yay! etc.) but i'm curious regarding hard-drives.

I've got most of my parts picked out (And a friend of mine who works for Dell is getting me a couple of bits for nothing) but this one.
1.No
2.Seagate
3.Yes

Sajjaja

Happy birthday you guys.

Use this thread for computer part advice.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=745567

But to answer your questions.
1) No
2) Don't know which to avoid, but Western Digital and Samsung are good ones.
3) SSD isn't a must have. If you have the money, then for sure get one. It has faster speeds but less space.

Reckoner

Happy birthday you guys.

Ofc you can use an external HDD. If you want to use an internal connection you just have to take out the hard drive from the external enclosure. I did it myself a few months ago.

For brands, go here.

I bought mine with a 128gb SanDisk SSD and it is pretty great. Boot times are so much faster and it is also great for gaming, if you can buy a bigger one. I use it only for Bf4 to reduce the loadings and the difference is really noticiable.

Levyne

Banned
yeah, I have a 128 gig that I keep the OS on and the one or two big games I'm playing at the time. Wish I had gone with 250, have to do a bit of shuffling now and then.

Catshade

GGG has a Square Classics sale and I wonder if anyone knows anything/recommends any of these:

Scarygirl
Pandemonium
Battlestations midway
Battlestations Pacific
Shellshock 2
Daikatana
Project Snowblind
Deathtrap Dungeon

If you like Deus Ex's combat, you might like Project Snowblind (it was a Deus Ex game that got repurposed).

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Stroooooongly disagree. No other single part is going to produce as much of a quality-of-life improvement as booting off an SSD. I wouldn't recommend anybody at anything but complete barrel-scraping bottom-tier budget skip the SSD.

The trouble is if you're a media-focused person without enough money to get a NAS setup, then every SATA port counts and you're going to want to load them all up with HDDs. I guess these days you have the SSHD hybrid option if you're not willing to sacrifice storage, though.

Levyne

Banned
Was unsure I was going to bother with it anyways, but looking at all of the little dlcs for Dragon Age, all are listed in Bioware points (which I've heard nothing but "ugh" for) and clicking "Buy Now" does nothing. None of the DLC show up within the in-game menus as available either.

Tellaerin

GGG has a Square Classics sale and I wonder if anyone knows anything/recommends any of these:

"GGG"? Is that

02.jpg

or

? >.>

For what it's worth, I enjoyed Project Snowblind. That's the game that started out as "Deus Ex: Clan Wars". Go into it expecting a DX-style action-RPG and you'll probably be disappointed - it's a straight-up shooter - but if you think you'd enjoy a near-future FPS with multiple paths, cybernetics, etc., it might be worth a look.

Backlogger

Is there a code I can with that?

Neither available vouchers work with Dark Souls.

The current 20% off voucher should work, but you have to spend at least $10 for it to work. You could grab another game like Star Trek or something and end up spending $11 with the voucher

Edit: actually you don't even have to do that. When you add to cart it's $10.

This voucher brings it to $8: H799RH-7L8NPP-RCKKT8

def sim

The current 20% off voucher should work, but you have to spend at least $10 for it to work. You could grab another game like Star Trek or something and end up spending $11 with the voucher

Edit: actually you don't even have to do that. When you add to cart it's $10.

This voucher brings it to $8: H799RH-7L8NPP-RCKKT8

I stand corrected! :X

Sajjaja

I've never been able to get into the MOBA genre, myself. Am I really missing anything?

Yeah man. If you enjoy yelling at people, people yelling at you, insulting people, being insulted, having jokes made about your mother's faithfulness, racial slurs, then MOBAs are for you!

MOBAs are alright. For me, League was better for solo play and DOTA 2 better for team oriented play. DOTA 2 has much more depth and complexity. If you want to try out DOTA relatively risk free, play a GAF inhouse and people are generally helpful.

TL;DR you're not missing much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom