• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

frogg609

Wound up buying the Earthworm Jim bundle on sale. However, I can't get the first game to work with my XB360 controller. I can't hit diagonals in the calibration to save my life.

Is there a simple way to get this to work?

Wound up buying the Earthworm Jim bundle on sale. However, I can't get the first game to work with my XB360 controller. I can't hit diagonals in the calibration to save my life.

Unrelated -- if I buy that bundle from GF, will it redeem on steam? I searched the product page, but couldn't find any reference to Steam? Anyone know?

Sorely tempted to pull the trigger on the Max Payne collection but I dunno. I missed them the first time around. Have they aged well?
I decided to play Max Payne 2 while waiting for the third game to come out a few years ago and I was surprised by how fun it was. Sure, the game does feel dated in many ways but I think there's something quite satisfying about diving in slow motion while dual wielding. Can't comment on the first game though

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Unrelated -- if I buy that bundle from GF, will it redeem on steam? I searched the product page, but couldn't find any reference to Steam? Anyone know?

Nope.

The recommended alternatives are joy2key/xpadder or DOSBox's own equivalent.

Sorely tempted to pull the trigger on the Max Payne collection but I dunno. I missed them the first time around. Have they aged well?

Max Payne 2 is still a fun time. Max's monologues are some of the most pedantic, pretentious things I've ever heard in a video game, but the running and gunning is still rock solid.

Max Payne 2 is still a fun time. Max's monologues are some of the most pedantic, pretentious things I've ever heard in a video game, but the running and gunning is still rock solid.

I had a hell of a time getting them to work on Windows 8 and Max Payne 1 still doesn't work entirely, but the gameplay definitely holds up, the shooting feels great and it's still really fun.

EDIT: Meant to respond to Mineshaft_Gap

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
The story experience, minus following the red line bit, makes up for any possible sense of being outdated mechanically. It's still quite the experience.
If you do want a Max Payne 1 that still holds up great mechanically completely, the Game Boy Advance version, tooled for it's hardware and isometric view, is still amazing for how they accomplished it.

No idea about Max Payne 2, I never got around to playing that. Someday though.

Knurek

100%'ed LEGO Lord of he Rings (did not clear a few of the achievements, but if the game doesn't count them to total percentage, I don't see a reason why I should).

Oh god, 31 hours... I feel so drained. You people complaining about Alice 2 taking too long, should stay away. OTOH, if you miss the days of Rare's N64 output, you're gonna be in heaven. There's... just so much jiggies to collect here (minifig pieces, mithril bricks, red bricks, characters, designs, tools, quest items and if you care for achievs 10,000,000,000 studs as well).

The game also looked really, really good, even the bokeh effect just plain works with LEGO constructs. Some annoying jumps here and there, but generally, it was a lovely, relaxing experience. Got it from GMG for $7.5 and I certainly got my money's worth.

The_Monk

Morning my good people, hope you can have a good Monday to start the week the best way possible.

Any of you are interested/will be picking Age of Wonders III? The game seems pretty and somewhat relaxing from what I've seen (I took a look at a stream from Angry Joe playing it).

JaseC

Sins of a Dark Age is up as Early Access. But it will be free 2 play once the game is finished. Any chance that the gift copies can be sold for fortune?

Only if the game is removed from Steam in the future: although if you buy it now it'll always count as a game as far as your profile (and library) are concerned, once it's gone F2P gift copies will be unredeemable due to the app being in sub 0. I'd been wondering lately if that were the case so I just ran a quick test by gifting my alt account a copy of the basic MQFEL Founder's Pack:

12xjgs.jpg

26ajgu.jpg

Despite the error, it's not actually a guest pass (compare its registry listing to, say, that of Rhythm Zone's guest pass).

Wok

LYNE will be released later today. As I understand it, the game mechanic is the same as in The Witness. If you like puzzles, I would say the game is easily worth $3.

Speaking of achievements, I just did Speedlunky for the second time! And I think I had about 1 heart going through most of the jungle and ice caves. Feels fantastic. Next up, Low Score. :D

What I like with Spelunky is that even if you lose one or two hearts with stupid mistakes in the caves, you can still hope to get to beat the game. In fact, if you are lucky, you get a boomerang and kill the queen of wasps to get lots of hearts. It is not the same with Binding of Isaac in which if you make a few mistakes in the beginning, it is very tempting to restart the game.

Only if the game is removed from Steam in the future: although if you buy it now it'll always count as a game as far as your profile (and library) are concerned, once it's gone F2P gift copies will be unredeemable due to the app being in sub 0. I'd been wondering lately if that were the case so I just ran a quick test by gifting my alt account a copy of the basic MQFEL Founder's Pack:

Despite the error, it's not actually a guest pass (compare its registry listing to, say, that of Rhythm Zone's guest pass).

I don't understand. Is the answer yes or no?

Sins of a Dark Age is up as Early Access. But it will be free 2 play once the game is finished. Any chance that the gift copies can be sold for fortune?

JaseC

I don't understand. Is the answer yes or no?

Yes, but only if the game is removed from Steam at a later date. When it's part of sub 0, which is where it'll go once it's made F2P, as far as Steam will be concerned every account will "own" it, but if the servers are shut down two years from now or whatever, the game will be pulled from the sub and gift copies will be redeemable once again, thus exponentially increasing their worth.

Arthea

On the earlier discussion, Alpha Centauri is great, really one of greatest games of all time. What I would give for a modern game like this, with terraforming and all.
To all newcomers to 4X strategy, do yourself a service, buy it on gog and play, you don't even need to thank me! just enjoy

Also can I get restrictive orders from Valve pertaining a certain game?
damn, I get so easily addicted to endless games, this time it's bejewelled 3, and it's second time I got addicted to it too :(

Played some more of Last Dream, they did make beginning of this game close to unbearable, you have 0 skills at the start, yes, nevermind class, it's 0 skills, and you need something from 40-100 skill points to get first one.

Why don't we have Homeworld or NOLF on Steam?

We are getting at least Homeworld games, that's what steamgaf keeps reminding me when I begin to whine about them (><)

Steel Storm: Burning Retribution

The current indiegamestand deal is a top down shooter that has a little bit about it. For $1 (or BTA for DLC as well) you get a steam key so I figured I might as well try it out.

First impressions were not exactly great. The presentation is pretty messy and it does things like show you what files are being loaded on the screen as it goes. While this is good for nostalgia (.bsp files for the win!) it makes it all a bit confusing and a multitude of options for things like the top down camera don't help. Do I want "classic perspective?" sure, why not? ... whatever that is.

But once you get into the game proper (not the easiest of tasks) things settle down and you are able to just fly around shooting things. The gameplay is straight-forward, you WASD through the map and use your mouse to point and shoot. You get your regular assortment of weapons (primary and secondary) and can pickup health as you go along taking out enemies and running over switches.

You have probably played a lot of similar games and there isn't anything particularly fresh here. If anything, the general look of the game is interesting. It reminded me a bit of Borderlands, without that "most boring games of all time" issue that drags that series down.

At least it is quite challenging, both in the shooting action and length of levels, so fans of difficult top-down shooters might have some fun with it. The DLC puts you in a more focused prison environment with a heavier reliance on flipping switches, but you are still doing much the same thing.

Recommended? A tough call but I'd say yes if you are a big fan of the genre, just because it has a certain raw charm to it. Otherwise you could probably give it a miss.

Arthea

If it hasn't been mentioned, EA has some sale on gamersgate: KoA -75%, DA and DA2 -56% (lol)
all origin of course.

All right then. I'll buy that game.

...how much was that monster apartment game in sale?

it was something like 1.50&#8364; at sale and I'm glad you are getting it. We need to encourage such quality experiments of indies, besides it's really wicked concept lol
I wouldn't mind proper indie take on Dungeon Keeper too, actually, it can be mix of genres or like Unholy Heights are.

Steel Storm: Burning Retribution

you convinced me not to get it, yes ;)

I feel like most shooters not called Halo essentially work like lightgun shooters with more player agency. You're running forward, forward, forward, from cover to cover.

Well 80% (With Halo) are like that. There are only a few that stand out from the crowd.

Cover shooters, yes. They're basically duck hunt/whac-a-mole simulators. But Infinite was mostly arena battles. Polish shooters (which are pretty highly regarded around here) are basically Serious Sam/Painkiller successors. TLOU had multiple turret sequences and holdout battles. Borderlands had a DLC dedicated to it. Hell, Dishonored too and I think Metro, Darkness 2 (edit: nope, those were side/co-op missions. Still.) and who knows what else. Not a shooter, but the Arkham games are basically arenas that are stringed together. With some you have a bit of of freedom how you approach them, with others you're forced to duke it out till the end.

Not that I think these are necessarily bad, hell, lot of them are better than duck hunting, but it just shows how level design, pacing and mobility regressed the last generation.

Shit is still bolted to the ground in damn near every game still. Some physics revolution there Half-Life 2.

Man, a couple of weeks ago I watched a TLOU walkthrough and was disappointed that not only didn't ND improve on HL2's physics, but regressed in certain areas. And as you say looooot of games feature static environment. Back then I thought HL2 showed the future, but barely anyone attempted to get to that level or beyond that. Not even Valve themselves :/

Y'all motherfuckers need Jesus.

jesus.gif

JaseC

Master Reboot is half off ($7.49 or $9.99 for the game + art book + OST bundle) for the next 7-and-a-bit days. Also, here are a couple of spares:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Super Hexagon -- MB-976F46BDECD43177 - Taken by aku:jiki
Starpoint Gemini -- MB-B128F50E19E47FEA - Taken by zeroOman

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
If you kinda like Steel Storm but want something with much better game design check out Metal Venture which is free on Desura. Looks like they even polished things up and added pretty lightning and effects since I played it.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member

You should read a RTTP/LTTP thread on Max Payne 3. With no hint of sarcasm posters will bash that script and claim the script in MP2 is perfection incarnate.

Arthea

I was contemplating should I get Max payne 3 Complete all weekend and I still don't know. I'm not going to play it anytime soon if ever, that's clear to me. Then again, what if I'll want to play it and missed this sale.

What good is a game without its art book and OST?

erhm, plenty good?

aku:jiki

Thanks Jase for Hexagon and I think I forgot to thank woo for Hacker Evolution a few days ago!

Almost done with Fortix 2. It has a lot more content than it lets on, like the entirely secret zombies mode, and is quite the well-made game. If anyone has the game but hasn't even heard about zombie mode, like myself, you unlock it by smacking the birdie on the title screen about a bit.

JaseC

It would be a bad game. A really bad game

...for collectors

;)

erhm, plenty good?

Poppycock!

Thanks Jase for Hexagon and I think I forgot to thank woo for Hacker Evolution a few days ago!

No worries. :)

Just bought my last games of the month: Deus Ex: Deus Ex: Invisible War and Just Cause 2.

Unless there'll be a Indie Sale heh.

Ah, crap, I forgot about the possible Indie Sale. I should have held on to my PayPal Refund Bucks.

Arthea

Another fun fact about Last Dream
Remember those flashbacks that happen while sleeping at the inn in FF6? Those are in Last Dream too (><)

Almost done with Fortix 2. It has a lot more content than it lets on, like the entirely secret zombies mode, and is quite the well-made game. If anyone has the game but hasn't even heard about zombie mode, like myself, you unlock it by smacking the birdie on the title screen about a bit.

I played Fortix (first game) and quite liked it, only I found impossible mode quite infuriating, like repeating 3 castles if I screwed last one multiple times is no fun at all. Haven't played second game yet.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Played through all of the HL titles (excluding a HL1 expansion here or there) and I thought the games were great. Original HL was kind of painful to get through though... Audio design is terrible in that game.
Yup, I didn't find the original HL much fun when I played them all (sans expansions) 4 years ago or so. The Xen part was pretty bad; had to look online how to do the long jump, how to get to a certain platform and how to beat the final boss (I suck, I know).

On the other hand, I really liked HL2 and the episodes. My favorite was the main game, and I enjoyed the vehicle sequences. The Citadel chapters are incredible, as is the weapon that you get there.

Anteater

This npc I'm suppose to chase after in gta4 gets knocked down a building and gets stuck because he was scripted to rubber band away from me and being invincible, so he then spawned all the way up on top of the building and continue his merry way.

dat oscar worthy script moment :0

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Ripped off the plot twist from System shock 2...
edit: Incase you didnt know, The same writer that wrote SS2 wrote Bioshock. Thats why its a crappy retread. It has an ever shittier ending than SS2. That shouldnt be possible.
Spoilers, dude :/

aku:jiki

I played Fortix (first game) and quite liked it, only I found impossible mode quite infuriating, like repeating 3 castles if I screwed last one multiple times is no fun at all. Haven't played second game yet.
I never played the original but in Fortix 2, you can just bring up the menu and hit retry and you only have to restart the specific sub-level you're on.

Impossible mode does become kind of a chore with how extremely little you can capture each time you move, though. The later zombie levels are kind of frustrating too, the zombies swarm so goddamn fast...

Evrain

Finally managed to find enough spare time to boot Hell Yea. I can write two statements within my first hour of gameplay.
1) Ash is one of the dumbest, and yet most lovingly despicable anti-heroes I've played so far
2) the WTF coefficient, even after just two minutes, skyrocketed beyond the over 9k limit

Arthea

I never played the original but in Fortix 2, you can just bring up the menu and hit retry and you only have to restart the specific sub-level you're on.

Impossible mode does become kind of a chore with how extremely little you can capture each time you move, though. The later zombie levels are kind of frustrating too, the zombies swarm so goddamn fast...

As far as I can remember, retry takes you to the first castle again.
I hope they made it possible to replay just one castle at the time in second game.

Thank you, Tizoc, for the PopCap bundle origin key.

Quick question for a Modbot giveaway I'll do in the future when I have more keys: GOG keys can be given away via Modbot the same way Desura keys can be given away, right?
Looks like this wasn't answered yet. The answer is YES, Modbot gives no fucks what you put in the key section, so it'll work with any sort of code or gift URL. It probably won't add a cool GOG icon like it does for origin or desura keys but it'll work just fine.

90 Keys for Wolfenstein 2009? Daaamn.
I am really glad I managed to pick that up for $20 back in early 2012.

It is a pretty fun game as well, I really enjoy a lot of Raven Software's games.
I'd love to have Raven's other recent titles on Steam though, Singularity and X-Men Origins: Wolverine would be pretty cool.

JaseC

90 Keys for Wolfenstein 2009? Daaamn.
I am really glad I managed to pick that up for $20 back in early 2012.

It is a pretty fun game as well, I really enjoy a lot of Raven Software's games.
I'd love to have Raven's other recent titles on Steam though, Singularity and X-Men Origins: Wolverine would be pretty cool.

Well, there's a distinction to make between what people are asking and what people are willing to pay. He's been trying to offload Mafia and Wolfenstein for months.

Tizoc

Thank you, Tizoc, for the PopCap bundle origin key.

Looks like this wasn't answered yet. The answer is YES, Modbot gives no fucks what you put in the key section, so it'll work with any sort of code or gift URL. It probably won't add a cool GOG icon like it does for origin or desura keys but it'll work just fine.

You're welcome, now you have something to play whenever Steam goes down ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom