• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Given your history with that game, it'll totally be a weird rerelease
new independent sub, region locked, unavailable in australia or something like that :p

Haha, probably. :p

I never understood why that one was the single Lego game unavailable on PC/Steam. Was a reason ever given?

The reason is Disney Interactive. It's not as though there's not a digital version of the game DI could just submit to Valve overnight. At this point I think the only hope of DI changing its tune will arise when Valve moves to the Google Playesque model and releases an API that will allow anybody to publish content to the store with a few easy clicks, which can't be too far away now (Valve Time permitting) considering the recently-introduced app reporting system.

FloatOn

I played through these when they were first released. They're pretty janky, but were pretty short and kinda fun picking up the collectibles and such. Plus it's voiced by the actors from the show, so it's worth playing through if you're a Doctor Who fan.

It looks like they also added Steam achievements and Trading Cards. Definitely going to be playing through this again.

Digital Amy Pond doesn't do Karen Gillan justice.

ss_89e2ae32e35ee319d817becd38fd43a1e473c220.1920x1080.jpg

I like modern dr.who but I still haven't seen the 50th anniversary or christmas episode yet.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I didn't even know what Killer is Dead's gameplay consisted of until the other day when I was watching a youtube video.
When the game was initially released the Journalism force was so focused on the 'disgusting treatment of women' in the dating game that I assumed that was the entire game.

Video game journalism is fucking frustrating.

moral crusading for clicks

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Except that they have been adding a lot of stuff to Netflix, and their new Disney Movies Anywhere app, so it seems they are being quite inconsistent with their digital catalogues...

Things get taken down from Netflix all the time though and, even if the content isn't taken down, their library will be renegotiated at points in the future (at a rate that is always higher than before).

Their own ecosystem is different as well, as they can at least control every aspect of that. On Steam, Valve always gets its cut and Disney is competing with other publishers in a race-to-the-bottom. In their own store, the movies they have will always be a certain price.

Anyway, I labeled it a conspiracy theory because there obviously isn't any hard evidence, just hearsay based on their old business tactics.

JaseC

Things get taken down from Netflix all the time though and, even if the content isn't taken down, their library will be renegotiated at points in the future (at a rate that is always higher than before).

Their own ecosystem is different as well, as they can at least control every aspect of that. On Steam, Valve always gets its cut and Disney is competing with other publishers in a race-to-the-bottom. In their own store, the movies they have will always be a certain price.

Anyway, I labeled it a conspiracy theory because there obviously isn't any hard evidence, just hearsay based on their old business tactics.

Disney isn't averse to DD in general; it sells its games on Amazon.

Edit: Odd that Lego Pirates isn't flagged as a Disney game for search purposes.

Lunaniem

I'm not seeing any Steam keys on my Groupees profile for these, has anyone who bought them in that bundle already got them?

According to those on the hub, they haven't released the keys yet.

Somehow I missed that holiday bundle and I thought I got it, ugh. :\

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
According to those on the hub, they haven't released the keys yet.

Somehow I missed that holiday bundle and I thought I got it, ugh. :\

These things usually take a few days at the least.
Thanks guys. It was the first time I specifically bought a pre-greenlit game for future keys, just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything wrong after the recent horror stories of devs going back on their word.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Haha, probably. :p

The reason is Disney Interactive. It's not as though there's not a digital version of the game DI could just submit to Valve overnight. At this point I think the only hope of DI changing its tune will arise when Valve moves to the Google Playesque model and releases an API that will allow anybody to publish content to the store with a few easy clicks, which can't be too far away now (Valve Time permitting) considering the recently-introduced app reporting system.
Aha, I always thought that LegoPotC never had a PC release, so the fact there is one makes this weirder. I do think you are right on that release API though.

And things get taken down from Steam all the time too :p
The point is that Disney HAD their own controlled stream service and whatnot, and they nuked it in favour of Netflix where they have been adding all their stuff lately (both relatively new and old), plus that announcement that their movies would be available there first starting in 2016 IIRC. This is probably a special case though, given that and the fact that there are FOUR Marvel series coming exclusively to Netflix.
I guess we'll starting seeing more Disney stuff the moment they announce a Valve-made Mouse game...

Also that app is for redeeming digital copies (UltraViolet and the like), and buying movies, not subscription based streaming.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Thanks guys. It was the first time I specifically bought a pre-grenlit game for future keys, just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything wrong after the recent horror stories of devs going back on their word.

I ordered my copies from Amazon almost 2 years ago, I've already sent them a request for Steam keys but their support said they won't know anything for 24-48 hours.

I also ordered from Groupees, just to be safe.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like this wasn't answered yet. The answer is YES, Modbot gives no fucks what you put in the key section, so it'll work with any sort of code or gift URL. It probably won't add a cool GOG icon like it does for origin or desura keys but it'll work just fine.

Thanks! I didn't see any mention of GOG keys in the ModBot guide so I was wondering about it.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

It's time for the daily RPGMaker game release on Steam. And this one is brimming with features! It's $9.99, full price without a sale.

About the Game

Alpha Kimori™ Great Doubt™ Episode One is the first of a trilogy of bright and colorful Japanese Anime inspired episodic 2D Role Playing Games, which feature an intricate action-adventure epic story with a delightful mix of sci-fi and fantasy elements.

The story of Alpha Kimori™ is set 50 years after the alien invasion of Earth when the newly discovered planet Kimori plays host to two warring human factions – the Bidarians, who want to reclaim Earth, and the Jinrians, who are contented with their new home. Even as the Bidarians destroy with their mighty Robotic Intelligent Cybernetic Armor (RICA) technology, the Jinrians defend the planet with the ability transmute into colossal indigenous creatures. Amidst the turmoil, young Bidarian warrior, Rick, falls in love with Jinrian princess, Yuki.

Please download the free demo at www.AlphaKimori.com

Want to win a free copy of Alpha Kimori™ 1 on Steam? Post your best Alpha Kimori™ fan art or other creative content at www.Facebook.com/AlphaKimori. If it is featured at www.AlphaKimori.com/forum, you will receive a free Alpha Kimori™ 1 Steam Key!

Features:

1) Cute Japanese anime inspired graphics with full sprite battle animation.

2) Engaging sci-fi-fantasy love triangle interactive novel storyline with lots of twists and turns.

3) Life bars and escape option during combat.

4) Classic Japanese RPG Turn Based Battle gives players time for strategy.

5) Ki Skill animation and battle elemental special effects.

6) Four visible party members and switchable lead character.

7) Avoidable combat with visible enemies.

8) Player is never lost with quest journal.

9) Theme song sung by the popular Vocaloid character, Hatsune Miku ( composed by Yossy http://www.Studio-Misty.com ).

10) 5 hours of average gameplay time.

Screenshots and Promotional Images

ss_d375730124d9a074961fe7cda52e7792c69b02d4.1920x1080.jpg

ss_e1fb3dc2fef1069379c93cf08d7b0d0eec495135.1920x1080.jpg

ss_0bfa3137372f20841a2df1cb562944448ec34bff.1920x1080.jpg

morningbus

And things get taken down from Steam all the time too :p

The important distinction here for the conspiracy is that with Steam and the PC, there is no way for them to get away with format-shifting and selling you another copy of the same thing you own. If you own their game on Steam, you'll always own it.

They'd have to invest in making them special editions, or begin the scuzzy process* of removing them from Steam to give them new app ids or something. The PC market probably isn't worth the effort at the moment.

*Scuzzy to everyone but JaseC, of course.

Jawmuncher

moral crusading for clicks

I didn't even know what Killer is Dead's gameplay consisted of until the other day when I was watching a youtube video.
When the game was initially released the Journalism force was so focused on the 'disgusting treatment of women' in the dating game that I assumed that was the entire game.

Video game journalism is fucking frustrating.

Agreed. The recent trend of that side of Journalism has been a bit much. Its to the point that any place with those sort of articles I don't even bother going to any more. I can understand what they are trying to do but every article has been so over board it's doing more harm then good. Was especially evident during the Dragons Crown art work fiasco.

JaseC

The important distinction here for the conspiracy is that with Steam and the PC, there is no way for them to get away with format-shifting and selling you another copy of the same thing you own. If you own their game on Steam, you'll always own it.

They'd have to invest in making them special editions, or begin the scuzzy process* of removing them from Steam to give them new app ids or something. The PC market probably isn't worth the effort at the moment.

*Scuzzy to everyone but JaseC, of course.

That's also true of Amazon's DD service, though, which Disney is still fond of.

JaseC

Lots of GDC threads. Aren't people just setting themselves up for disappointment? It's not like it's going to be PAX or E3.

The GDC cycle is akin to the Game Informer cover announcement cycle, only with exponentially more wilful ignorance. "I know it's the Game Developer's Conference but I'm really hoping The Last Guardian is there!"

Lunaniem

The GDC cycle is akin to the Game Informer cover announcement cycle, only with exponentially more wilful ignorance. "I know it's the Game Developer's Conference but I'm really hoping The Last Guardian is there!"

You know we're totally getting Half-Life 3 and GTAV PC at GDC. :p

Turfster

Daily Mars War Logs 80% off
Weeklong
  • XIII Century Gold 60% off
  • Necrovision & Lost Company 75% off
  • DWARFS
  • Real Warfare 1242 & Northern Crusades 60% off
  • iBOMBER Defense
  • Titan Quest & Immortal Throne 75% off
  • Pacific Storm 50% off
  • Killing Floor 75% off
  • Risk 60% off
  • Bionic Dues 75% off
  • The Ball
  • Red Orchestra
  • Red Orchestra 2
  • Mare Nostrum & Darkest Hour FREE, requires Red Orchestra
  • Saints Row 2 80% off
  • Rock of Ages
  • Sims Medieval 60% off
  • Geneforge 1-5 80% off
  • Inquisitor
  • Command & Conquer 3-4 & Red Alert 3 66% off
  • Battleship 60% off
  • Earth 2150 83% off
  • Deathspank 70% off
  • Jesabel 75% off
  • Monopoly 60% off
  • Dangerous Waters 75% off
  • Zuma Deluxe 65% off
  • March of Eagles 66% off
  • Theatre of War 60% off?
  • Theatre of War 2 60% off
  • Theatre of War 3 60% off
  • Jade Empire Special Edition 66% off
  • Waves 75% of
  • Men of War & Red Tide & Vietnam 60% off
  • A New Beginning 75% off
  • Montague's Mount 66% off
  • Stardrive 75% off
  • Dementium II HD 50% off
  • Wanderlust 57% off
  • MDK 53% off
  • MDK2 53% off
  • MDK2HD 50% off
  • Worms Ultimate Mayhem 66% off
  • The Game of Life 60% off
  • Sengoku 75% off
  • Storm in a teacup 70% off
  • SPORE 75% off
  • WARP 70% off

JaseC

I'll be buying:

- Braveland
- LYNE
- Mysterious Cities of Gold
- Dementium 2
- Timelines: Assault on America
- Some Killing Floor DLC

This'll put me just 6 games shy of 2499.

They are given when you buy Red Orchestra & Killing Floor, weird they are listed separately though.

Yeah, I remember, but they've never shown up erroneously before.

Garcia

The Locomotive Breath trailer was terrible. Euro launch trailer was much better. But the game will still be AWFUL. Because.

:'( . . .

You know, when I saw those trailers several weeks ago I just thought about the music not fitting at all. Right now it's just me reaching a point of equilibrium between feeling excited about the game looking just like that trailer and resigned until we get an official statement about the future of the PC version.

I mean, despite all the bugs and nerve wracking stuff I had to put myself through in order to finally complete the PS3 version, the game is one of the most fun Co-op RPGs I have played in years.

It deserves so much better. I'll choose to Believe (at least until Scamco/FROM say anything). </3

JaseC

You, I, and Disney all know that Amazon doesn't count. It's like saving yourself for marriage via anal sex.

I'd say we're at the point where Amazon is popular enough to count. Of course, I doubt people are buying Disney's SecuROM-laced DD games in high quantities.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Agreed. The recent trend of that side of Journalism has been a bit much. Its to the point that any place with those sort of articles I don't even bother going to any more. I can understand what they are trying to do but every article has been so over board it's doing more harm then good. Was especially evident during the Dragons Crown art work fiasco.

the polygon dragons crown review was such a cringefest that i haven't looked at their website since

morningbus

I'd say we're at the point where Amazon is popular enough to count. Of course, I doubt people are buying Disney's SecuROM-laced DD games in high quantities.

It's literally the only reason I'd like to see Valve reign in the free distribution of Steam keys: just to see how quickly Amazon's digital store would dry up.

Thankfully I am a benevolent, if not capricious god.

Humble Store has

SEGA Dreamcast Collection - 1,49&#8364;
Jet Set Radio - 0,99&#8364;

probably similar prices in USD

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/promo/sega

$4.49 and $1.24, respectively here in the U.S. of motherfuckin' A.

Jawmuncher

Weeklong
  • MDK 53% off
  • MDK2 53% off

That's a pretty weird percentage off.
Nothing for me in that list. Thankfully grabbed Jade Empire when it was 75% off a few months ago. Still waiting on new lucasarts to fix the sales on star wars games. I regret not grabbing KOTOR and the other on the last May the 4th sale.

Turfster

Nothing for me in that list. Thankfully grabbed Jade Empire when it was 75% off a few months ago. Still waiting on new lucasarts to fix the sales on star wars games. I regret not grabbing KOTOR and the other on the last May the 4th sale.

The MDK2 & MDK2HD difference is even weirder ;)

Dolor

Weeklong
  • XIII Century Gold 60% off
  • Necrovision & Lost Company 75% off
  • DWARFS
  • Real Warfare 1242 & Northern Crusades 60% off
  • iBOMBER Defense
  • Titan Quest & Immortal Throne 75% off
  • Pacific Storm 50% off
  • Killing Floor 75% off
  • Risk 60% off
  • Bionic Dues 75% off
  • The Ball
  • Red Orchestra
  • Red Orchestra 2
  • Mare Nostrum & Darkest Hour FREE, requires Red Orchestra
  • Saints Row 2 80% off
  • Rock of Ages
  • Sims Medieval 60% off
  • Geneforge 1-5 80% off
  • Inquisitor
  • Command & Conquer 3-4 & Red Alert 3 66% off
  • Battleship 60% off
  • Earth 2150 83% off
  • Deathspank 70% off
  • Jesabel 75% off
  • Monopoly 60% off
  • Dangerous Waters 75% off
  • Zuma Deluxe 65% off
  • March of Eagles 66% off
  • Theatre of War 60% off?
  • Theatre of War 2 60% off
  • Theatre of War 3 60% off
  • Jade Empire Special Edition 66% off
  • Waves 75% of
  • Men of War & Red Tide & Vietnam 60% off
  • A New Beginning 75% off
  • Montague's Mount 66% off
  • Stardrive 75% off
  • Dementium II HD 50% off
  • Wanderlust 57% off
  • MDK 53% off
  • MDK2 53% off
  • MDK2HD 50% off
  • Worms Ultimate Mayhem 66% off
  • The Game of Life 60% off
  • Sengoku 75% off
  • Storm in a teacup 70% off
  • SPORE 75% off
  • WARP 70% off

Every week is a pretty big Steam sale now?

Also, insert mandatory EA coming back to Steam speculation here.

Recently sales have been odd percentages all the time, so that the prices can be a "normal" number like $4,99. Probably a result of devs being able to set their own discounts.

JaseC

It's literally the only reason I'd like to see Valve reign in the free distribution of Steam keys: just to see how quickly Amazon's digital store would dry up.

Thankfully I am a benevolent, if not capricious god.

Haha, Amazon and GMG wouldn't last very long, I'd wager. GamersGate, on the other hand, would probably survive in a somewhat bruised and battered state as it's never been one to source Steam keys for games that aren't Steamworks in the generally-understood sense and so the loss of keys wouldn't have much of an adverse impact. ;)

Turfster

Humble Store has

SEGA Dreamcast Collection - 1,49€
Jet Set Radio - 0,99€

probably similar prices in USD

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/promo/sega

It's actually a 3 day sale.
  • Aliens Colonial Marines 50% off
  • Total War Rome 2 50% off
  • Total War Shogun 2 Fall of the Samurai 75% off
  • Total War Grand Master Collection 75% off
  • Jet Set Radio 75% off