• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiru

There's a Shattered Haven key hidden in this post, just quote to see. You need to thank fantomena, I accidently took the key without knowing I already own the key from some Package key.

I wonder what time it is oh it's Steam is down o'clock and I didn't get my precious win added to my account :(

I also didn't get acheevos for Guacamelee the other day and now my cheevolist looks dumb

Steam Down Again :(
Sad_Cat.gif

Zafir

Jeez. This is getting stupid now. I mean I accept that sometimes it'll go down, but it's just silly how often it is these days.

Phinor

Very brief snatch of gameplay from Galactic Civilizations III (goes into Alpha this Friday):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwU6YFOq0Dw

They are going to get so much crap for that $100 price tag if they are indeed putting it on early access and plan to sell it through steam during alpha. People can't be reasoned with, using simple arguments like "Well you don't have to buy the damn $100 alpha product" won't work at all when it comes to Steam community.

Zafir

They are going to get so much crap for that $100 price tag if they are indeed putting it on early access and plan to sell it through steam during alpha. People can't be reasoned with, using simple arguments like "Well you don't have to buy the damn $100 alpha product" won't work at all when it comes to Steam community.
I really hate this idea of charging people for Alpha access in general. So we should pay to test your game now...? >.>

I got the normal founders edition of it which was $40 but that only included beta access and onwards from what I remember.

Terra_Ex

Very brief snatch of gameplay from Galactic Civilizations III (goes into Alpha this Friday):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwU6YFOq0Dw
Looking pretty nice, I'll have to be content replaying GalCiv2 until this comes out though, didn't fancy paying the hefty price tag for early access so I'll wait it out.

For when Steam stops shitting the bed, is Galactic Civilizations 2 worth it? Never played civilization games before but I like Sins of a Solar Empire.
Most definitely, its a very different game to Sins though. I'd read SteveWinwood's thread linked earlier if you want a decent explanation of what its all about though, that's what convinced me to get it.

I really hate this idea of charging people for Alpha access in general. So we should pay to test your game now...? >.>

I got the normal founders edition of it which was $40 but that only included beta access and onwards from what I remember.

True, but remember the $100 edition also includes ALL future expansions and DLC. So it is more than just Alpha access.

Hawk SE

I quite liked this review, and the site in general. I'm curious, and you probably get asked this a lot, but what is the inspiration with the recommended buy price? It's almost like a second review score. Will there ever be a situation where youre so into a game that your recommended buy price is above retail?

Thanks for the kind words.

Yes, there are sometimes situations where the game's value supersedes the quality of the game. It doesn't happen often, or lately, but it has before where we've recommended higher than it was scored.

Sini

There was a lot of DDoS talk re: Steam being so shaky lately.

Were those just theories or is someone taking credit for this stuff?

These guys took the credit for taking steam down for hours on 13th March.
Only two people here cared that Steam was possibly DDoS'ed though.

Edit: But they haven't tried anything more with Steam after that.

Jito

Banned
So Steam goes down daily now for a few weeks and all I see is some mumblings. Xbox Live or PSN goes down for a day and the whole internet explodes. What is Valve putting in water?

Phinor

That's literally my point. No one is forced to pay anything to alpha test the game but if you definitely want to give it a shot, there's a fee attached to that. Again, no one is forced to pay anything to test an alpha, but try telling that to steam community posters.

I think it's damn smart business to charge extra for alpha if you don't want everyone to have access to that alpha (and "open" alpha is great for other situations like testing servers for your AAA-game etc.). It makes the alpha player base much more manageable and most of your testers are dedicated people. And you get a little extra development money on top of that. And once more, no one is forced to pay to play an alpha.

Whatever the subtitle for the next thread, it should definitely be the Steam Announcements, Updates & Maintenance thread. :/

For when Steam stops shitting the bed, is Galactic Civilizations 2 worth it? Never played civilization games before but I like Sins of a Solar Empire.

From what I played of it, it is a very solid 4X game with good A.I. and mechanics, however it is a very soulless, lifeless game (like all Stardock games I've played). The A.I. is lauded for its intelligence, but from what I saw that was more of a "we-tell-you-what-we're-doing-to-seem-clever" sort of thing. It is in no way a bad game, but if you're looking for a good introduction to 4X games I would recommend Civilization V, that game has really set the standard for the future of the genre and is a rather great game to boot.

Wouldn't that kind of defeat the purpose of a recommended buy price, though? I mean, it sounds like the idea here was to say, "It retails for $14.99, but it's not really worth it at that price. Pick it up when it drops to $11.99 or less." I can't really imagine someone recommending that you spend more than the publisher's asking, even if they really love the game.

Yeah that makes sense. I guess if you could say, recommended price 75% off, for example, to go along with a 2/5 rating and show that there may be some merit in playing a crappy game for cheap, you could go the other way, which people do all the time, especially in this thread, and say something like, "this game is only $5 but it's worth double that!"

I feel like we are at the point with so many (cheaply) available games that we want to play, where measuring a value of one's time, which the review does nicely, is a better measurement than an arbitrary price point.

fantomena

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

StarForge -- MB-A91C30FC6050D4BF - Taken by Deques. 41 entrants total.

t1395691714z1.png

Soon over.

Thanks for the kind words.

Yes, there are sometimes situations where the game's value supersedes the quality of the game. It doesn't happen often, or lately, but it has before where we've recommended higher than it was scored.
that's interesting, your's is the first review site I've seen do this.

Kaleinc

Banned
Should it be possible to even DDOS steam the service? I could see the website being taken down but how do you do it to the client?
It's servers that are DDoSed in both cases. Time to hold someone accountable. Anyone, cause it ain't funny anymore.

Zafir

That's literally my point. No one is forced to pay anything to alpha test the game but if you definitely want to give it a shot, there's a fee attached to that. Again, no one is forced to pay anything to test an alpha, but try telling that to steam community posters.

I think it's damn smart business to charge extra for alpha if you don't want everyone to have access to that alpha (and "open" alpha is great for other situations like testing servers for your AAA-game etc.). It makes the alpha player base much more manageable and most of your testers are dedicated people. And you get a little extra development money on top of that. And once more, no one is forced to pay to play an alpha.

Oh I'm not saying it isn't smart, of course it's a smart business move, you're getting more money out of the die hard fans and you won't have to pay as much for real testers. Just because it's smart doesn't mean to say I have to like it or anyone else does. Testing isn't that much of a glamorous affair, so it's not like it's a one sided thing where only the user is benefiting. It's useful for both, die hard fans get to play early and help make the game better through testing, and the developers get people who actually care and have good knowledge of the genre to test their game for free. So consequently, I don't see why users should be charged to alpha test. Also you can limit and choose the amount of players in it through other means.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Steam goes down and suddenly a lot of my games have either lost a number of hours played (from 30 to .03 for example) or doubled in some cases. I can deal with playing offline, but it would be nice if I could actually trust time played stats.

Tizoc

So Deus Ex The Fall doesn't work with a gamepad atm it seems? Using a DS4 controller and the camera keeps rotating and I have no control over it.

louiedog

Steam key for Disco Dodgeball (Early Access) is up at Humble store.

There's also a link right below the steam key to gift an extra one to a friend.

For people who don't remember, this was given away on reddit in the past, so you may have a key without realizing it.

Tellaerin

Neither was anyone at all when PSN went down, but really it was in jest. What is going on more to the point?

I wish I knew. It's getting kind of old now. -_-

Oh, looks like I ended up with a spare. Haven't tried this one yet, so I have no idea how it is, but hopefully someone'll get some enjoyment from it.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Shattered Haven -- MB-58980505AEC08FD5 - Taken by ussjtrunks. 2 entrants total.

t1395692388z1.png

Never tell your password to anyone.
pinstripe: hi
pinstripe: ?
Your state is set to Offline.
pinstripe is now Offline.
Lost connection to Steam, will rejoin chat automatically when connection regained.
Connected again and rejoined chat.
pinstripe is now Online.
Stu: Hi
Stu: Sorry, Steam went down or something
pinstripe: that is ok
Your state is set to Offline.
pinstripe is now Offline.
Lost connection to Steam, will rejoin chat automatically when connection regained.
Connected again and rejoined chat.
pinstripe is now Online.
pinstripe: did you get my last inbox
Stu: I don't think so?
Stu: Do you mean on Steam, or somewhere else?
pinstripe: well it is to do with a game
Stu: Yeah?
pinstripe: you know pacmna
pinstripe: man*
Stu: I do, yes
Stu: You mean Pac Man Museum?
pinstripe: yes
pinstripe: well anyway i wanted to know can you get me pac man museum it is not much and plz don't get mad with me but it will be ok if you can get it for me i love pacman and i will love to have this game as well
pinstripe: and i know that you do not know me and all of the other things like that but this one thing will make me happy
Stu: serious question, has this ever worked, because I might start doing it
pinstripe: what
pinstripe: i just wanted to know can you get me the game or not
Stu: I apologise but I already spent all my money on my own copy of Pac Man Museum
Stu: It took me like a year to save up for it
Stu: I mean come back in like a year
Stu: And maybe
Stu: But I need to buy food also so
Stu: Probably out of luck
pinstripe: that game has not even been out for a year
Stu: no, no, you misunderstand, i saved up for a year in anticipation
Stu: look you know what it doesn't matter
Stu: it's all good
Stu: i'm not buying you pac-man museum
Stu: but i will play it myself and enjoy it extra hard for the both of us
Stu: ok?
Stu: then maybe some of my happiness will filter down the internet and you can know how good it feels to play pac-man museum without me having to spend any money on it.
Stu: alright ttfn
Stu: gonna get my PAC MAN ON YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN
pinstripe: you low life
Stu: when you put it like that i can see how i'm the bad guy here
pinstripe: i did not need a smart ass
pinstripe: to be a cunt about one fucking thing
Stu: i am so sorry for wasting your time
Stu: how can i make it up to you?
pinstripe: with a game
Stu: you got it buddy
Stu: please allow 6-8 weeks for delivery
pinstripe: no it dose not take that long i am not a dumb ass
Stu: you're too smart for me

Anyone else get this?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Steam was so much better before it was popular.

Also, I forgot how absolutely ridiculously good Arkham Origins looks. When Killer Croc jumps on you in the prologue, that shit looks like a Pixar film.

kulapik

So, I have a friend whose birthday is tomorrow. As a autogift he bought Bioshock Infinite and Papers Please. He also loved Bastion and plays a lot of TF2 and sometimes CoD. What other game should I get him?

Terra_Ex

Anyone else get this?
Well, at least you had your fun with him. The closest I've had to this is people wanting to buy stuff I have listed for trade on various sites with ridiculously lowball offers - "can I give you 2 tf2 keys for the item you have said costs 7 keys". Never had any outright begging as I can't imagine it bears much fruit...

Grief.exe

So, I have a friend whose birthday is tomorrow. As a autogift he bought Bioshock Infinite and Papers Please. He also loved Bastion and plays a lot of TF2 and sometimes CoD. What other game should I get him?

Dark Souls II - Everyone wants more Souls.
Titanfall - Similar to COD.
Transistor - Not out yet, but if he likes Bastion have him look into it.
Betrayer - First Person Open World Indie game, just released today and is pretty cool.

Caerith

ModBot said:
Instructions for Caerith:
Rock on.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Be excellent to each other.

Robot Roller-Derby Disco Dodgeball -- MB-D5E321880BCCFB25 - Taken by Kuroyume. 5 entrants total.

t1395703414z1.png
Humble gift link because reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom