• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 IV - For me it was Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

derExperte

Guarantee we'll see thief for 50% off there.
If that isn't already on sale at the moment. Which all but confirms 75% off come the holiday sale just like Tomb Raider last year.

Certain key resellers already have Thief for 9,99€ and the legit sites will follow soon. That game bombed so hard.

Between the talk of porting 3DS/Vita/PSP games to Steam and the sales Revengeance threw down on our homely little platform (PC)... I think now or really, really soon would be a good time to port over the Metal Gear AC!D games.

Release them as a bundle. HD. Early buyer's discount. Digital comic. Steam cards to a card-based game for that meta. Steam trading for in-game cards? Online PvP?

Copons

Wind Waker <3

I never finished the final boss, but there's something very peaceful and relaxing about sailing across the ocean. Plus the art style is beautiful. Only Zelda game that comes close is Twilight Princess (which is also the only one I finished). And this reminds me that I should play A Link Between Worlds, which I bought day one and haven't touched yet.

WW art style is astounding and, as basically any other cel-shaded game, still holds up extremely well.
As for the relaxation: I knew a guy who played the Japanese version (without knowing the language), and he always told us it was the most boring game ever, and we actually didn't understand his rage until we found out that he sailed for like 3/4 of the game without the sail because he didn't know what that towel in the inventory was. :D

On the other hand, I always found TP to be a sub par Zelda. Something like an attempt to appeal the brodude players. One of my friend summed it up with: "TP is an amateur blow job while WW is a full fledged fuck", an immortal quote I'll always agree with. :D

fry.gif

You could always ask to rename your user as "namphone".

Grief.exe

Between the talk of porting 3DS/Vita/PSP games to Steam and the sales Revengeance threw down on our homely little platform (PC)... I think now or really, really soon would be a good time to port over the Metal Gear AC!D games.

Release them as a bundle. HD. Early buyer's discount. Digital comic. Steam cards to a card-based game for that meta. Steam trading for in-game cards? Online PvP?

There are other Konami games I would rather have on Steam (MGS, Silent Hill, ZoE, SotN), but that seems like a good idea to me.

I played through AC!D 1 on my PSP, a little strange, but a decent game overall.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Srsly. I want Conception 2 and Etrian Odyssey and SMTIV, but I do not want to pay $30-40 for them or buy them digitally on my 3DS... but I might end up buying one of 'em as I would like to play a new JRPG. Haven't played one in a while.

There have already been sales on the entire Atlus 3DS catalog, with EO IV selling digitally for $20. I'm sure Conception II will be featured in a sale eventually.

The Old Gods is the best one imo, it allows you to start in 867 AD and is centered around vikings,pagans and zoroastrians. GMG has a 75% discount on it right now

The other one that isn't included is Sons of Abraham, which lets you play as a Jew and of course the newest one, Rajas of India

I'll pick up Old Gods at least, then. The other two I might wait to get.

A Squeenix sale may be en route as every non-Nosgoth Squeenix sub was just updated. I still need FF8 so I'd be okay with this.

I still need to buy FF7 :p

I still need to buy FF7 :p

I'd hold off on that for another decade or so until they finally make an HD remaster (which has been confirmed for some point in the future). FF7 has the dubious honor of being made during the transition from 2D to 3D and it looks really, really bad. The gameplay also doesn't hold up all that well. Story hasn't changed though, so it's still a good game, it's just really hard for people who didn't play it when it released to get into it.

Arthea

I'd hold off on that for another decade or so until they finally make an HD remaster (which has been confirmed for some point in the future). FF7 has the dubious honor of being made during the transition from 2D to 3D and it looks really, really bad. The gameplay also doesn't hold up all that well. Story hasn't changed though, so it's still a good game, it's just really hard for people who didn't play it when it released to get into it.

not true at all, looking bad only pertains blocky character models, but as people now play minecraft like there is no tomorrow, they shouldn't have problem even with that, and gameplay holds up nicely. Still one of the best games ever created and I always thought that remake can be only worse, because it is so hard to be better.
I wouldn't want Civ2 remade either, btw, for same reasons.

I really like a lot of the pre-rendered backgrounds in FFVII, pretty awesome. Admittedly, the character models are somewhat of an abortion, but still. Enough of the game is enough pre-rendered, cutscene or battle scene, that it's not too horrible. Still waiting on IX.

HoosTrax

Giving them retroactively just isn't a viable business model I'm afraid.
Oh I'm well aware that simply giving out freebies to people who are not buying anything from your store isn't viable. I'm just pointing out that the restrictiveness (compared to say Valve's trading cards, which are available to everyone regardless of when they acquired the game and for an indefinite period of time) makes it pretty apparent to me why it isn't that widely discussed in this thread. The typical use-case (a nice bonus for those people preordering a particular game) is kind of limited in scope, especially when the various different stores all have their own little perks. (GG's blue coins, Steam store's ability to use Steam wallet credits, Amazon's various promos)

When I posted that, I was probably annoyed at having just gotten one of the weekly notification e-mails telling me that I had "unfortunately not earned any rewards" and that my balance was $0.00 yet again :p. I just probably just disable that, as I don't have the inclination/motivation to put down the game I'm playing at any given moment to farm achievements for a different game...

not true at all, looking bad only pertains blocky character models, but as people now play minecraft like there is no tomorrow, they shouldn't have problem even with that, and gameplay holds up nicely. Still one of the best games ever created and I always thought that remake can be only worse, because it is so hard to be better.
I wouldn't want Civ2 remade either, btw, for same reasons.

Trust me, there was A LOT of whining among people who hadn't played the game before when the steam release came out. Many many people didn't like the old style.

Also, there's a difference between old graphics and Minecraft graphics. Minecraft is stylized, and it's blocky, not simply low-poly like old games were. People today are spoiled by nice graphics, and that makes it hard for people who don't remember how good the game was when those graphics were normal to get into the game.

I really like a lot of the pre-rendered backgrounds in FFVII, pretty awesome. Admittedly, the character models are somewhat of an abortion, but still. Enough of the game is enough pre-rendered, cutscene or battle scene, that it's not too horrible. Still waiting on IX.

Oh yeah, the backgrounds are works of art. They really knew how to do 2D stuff back then. The problem comes when they tried doing 3D...

Sorry been busy lately. What's your CS number and I'll look into it. There's a bug that affects some users, we've deployed a few fixes, so hopefully you should be alright going forward, but if you let me know your Playfire username I'll take a look.

Giving them retroactively just isn't a viable business model I'm afraid. What we do instead - and have done since early February - is make sure nearly all new releases have rewards. If it's a big title like Thief, South Park etc. we've been offering rewards for every single achievement. So we can't offer rewards retro actively but we can reward people who do buy games on day one. As for the rewards that are added for older games, these aren't really there to target the early adopters, this is done to give something to people who have only just picked up a game, like in the GMG sales. Currently we offer more rewards to the guys and gals that buy games on release. Something small, but a thank you. Lastly, we've just started in the last 2 weeks adding two old games to a head-to-head where you guys can vote which one we give rewards for. Hope that helps give some context to the program? Let me know if you have anymore questions. It is BETA so we're still experimenting a fair bit to be honest.

-Ben

PM'ed you the details.
Let me know if you need anything -- the email exchange was much prettier in terms of formatting -- the actual comments posted by replying to the email weren't exactly readable when it comes to the formatting of the list of credits missing.

There are other Konami games I would rather have on Steam (MGS, Silent Hill, ZoE, SotN), but that seems like a good idea to me.

I played through AC!D 1 on my PSP, a little strange, but a decent game overall.

Yeah, they weren't the greatest games by any stretch, but they were definitely unique, in that they implemented the stealth aspect of Metal Gears to a Tactics-style gameplay that was fueled by card game elements. They would survive the transfer to M+KB beautifully, probably feeling native. They'd also go well on iOS, but that's for another thread...

2 was better, by the way. It was more fleshed out and the animation style was totally appropriate.

derExperte

Is that a FMV adventure game?

for those of you not old enough to have played adventure games in the 90s, Tex Murphy embraces the lost art of green screen full-motion video as it interacts with fully modeled 3D environments.

So it's a mix between 1st person adventure and FMV. Maybe watch a few videos of the old game. Or better yet, buy them on GOG.

Anteater

There isn't really anything I want to get from Square-Enix unless it's FF7 for like a dollar.

The Ballad of Gay Tony

yeah well, fuck you too mom

So it's a mix between 1st person adventure and FMV. Maybe watch a few videos of the old game. Or better yet, buy them on GOG.

I have a vague memory of reading about Tex Murphy games in a magazine, I'm mote surprised about it being a FMV adventure game the last one I remember was Phantasmagoria.

Arthea

I remember when that happened with the Just Cause games. I got the original one for pennies.

I bought Just Cause collection 3 times, all time with price mistake on different sites, even if I already had both Just Cause games. I might won't do that anymore, as I think there is nobody left with slightest interest in those games who don't have them yet.
Price mistakes need to move to other franchise now.

ShmupGAF alert:
header_292x136.jpg

Legendary doujin game, RefleX, will release in roughly 2 hours

TBH, not sure why they are starting with the second game of the series, but oh well.
Game was available in Indie Gala October Bundle IIRC, keys are forthcoming.
It's due to Steamworks integration. RefleX actually has a different developer within Siter Skain and, unfortunately, he didn't allow such modifications so that means propping the assets to Steam is a much straightforward and speedy process. We did, however, include cards to at least make up for it. The game has pad support from the go as well, including the 360 d-pad.

Alltynex2nd and Kamui are both being tackled on by Jirurun himself (the founder of the circle, a guy who's been doing games for like almost 20 years!) for Steamworks integration. Kamui is basically a doujin legend (even moreso than RefleX, at least personally, heh), the turning point that marked the transition to Windows for most doujin devs. Not many devs from Siter Skain era remain. Amusement Makers (from which ZUN of Touhou fame came from) and a couple other circles from that era still lurk around.

So, to celebrate the release, I'm gonna drop 2 Steam keys via ModBot. Whoever enjoys or wants to give a try to one of the most celebrated japanese shmups is welcome to pick it up ;) No, seriously, the story behind RefleX is crazy, here is the tl;dr: the game took well over 10 years to be finished. It started as Reflection back in 1997, got canned and resurfaced in 2008 for its final release.

Deques

ShmupGAF alert:

TBH, not sure why they are starting with the second game of the series, but oh well.

Nice I got the bundle and the bundle with KAMUI. But the first game seems not have been in any bundles

here is the tl;dr: the game took well over 10 years to be finished. It started as Reflection back in 1997, got canned and resurfaced in 2008 for its final release.

Sounds like Japan's version of Duke Nukem Forever.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Face Noir added to indiegala doorways bundle, and here it is

ModBot said:
Instructions for Rhaknar:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Face Noir -- MB-4E6E1BFA70EB7C48

t1395932247z1.png

Knurek

Nice I got the bundle and the bundle with KAMUI. But the first game seems not have been in any bundles

Which is actually a pretty good business decision on Nyu's part - if people find the first two games to their liking, they're much more likely to buy the third one as well.

It's due to Steamworks integration. RefleX actually has a different developer within Siter Skain and, unfortunately, he didn't allow such modifications so that means propping the assets to Steam is a much straightforward and speedy process. We did, however, include cards to at least make up for it. The game has pad support from the go as well, including the 360 d-pad..

How about supported resolutions? I've tried one of the ALLTYNEX games ages ago (might've been a demo version) and AFAIR it only supported very low resolution (640x480 or worse, 320x240). Has anything been done with this for Steam release?

BruteUA

Um, I just sorta quickly skimmed through, but I don't think anyone correctly stated that original Legend of Zelda is best Zelda. First game I ever beat, at 8 years old.

Now get off my lawn!

radMonkey

Oh I'm well aware that simply giving out freebies to people who are not buying anything from your store isn't viable. I'm just pointing out that the restrictiveness (compared to say Valve's trading cards, which are available to everyone regardless of when they acquired the game and for an indefinite period of time) makes it pretty apparent to me why it isn't that widely discussed in this thread. The typical use-case (a nice bonus for those people preordering a particular game) is kind of limited in scope, especially when the various different stores all have their own little perks. (GG's blue coins, Steam store's ability to use Steam wallet credits, Amazon's various promos)

When I posted that, I was probably annoyed at having just gotten one of the weekly notification e-mails telling me that I had "unfortunately not earned any rewards" and that my balance was $0.00 yet again :p. I just probably just disable that, as I don't have the inclination/motivation to put down the game I'm playing at any given moment to farm achievements for a different game...

The slight difference with our system is we're rewarding you for playing games, but you don't have to have purchased them from us (although that is of course appreciated!). I think what we have now is a snapshot of the vision. We'd love to give out other rewards (vouchers, beta keys etc.) or offer rewards on the other platforms (Origin, XBL, PSN etc.). But one step at a time, eh? Definitely a few bugs we need to sort before then. Good feedback though, I do really appreciate it. :)

Oh and the emails? Yeah, they suck, we know. It was a bit of a stop-gap because we didn't have the resources to do more at the time. I'm redesigning them and changing the mechanics for them, but I don't know when that will be implanted. If they're annoying you at all you can turn them off in your account settings on Playfire.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
reposting since it was on the bottom of last page

ModBot said:
Instructions for Rhaknar:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Face Noir -- MB-4E6E1BFA70EB7C48 - Taken by zeroOman - Taken by Deques. 7 entrants total.

t1395932247z1.png

ShmupGAF alert:

Nice!

I think you took a wrong turn and ended up at the wrong club. :p

#TRUTHFACT

;)

Sounds like Japan's version of Duke Nukem Forever.

Which bundle has KAMUI? (I'm not even sure what it is, but if I have it and it's getting a Steam key, I'd like to be aware.)
Edit: I did some digging -- it was in the Groupees Let's Build a Doujin Bundle 2.

Arthea

I've read SE e-mail, it won't be a good sale, as they state up to 66% off, and most of their games went deeper already before, except maybe FF games, I don't remember what best discount they had and 33% on Thief don't seem so hot too.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
If you get an invite to a beta on Steam and if the beta is for a free to play game, does it count toward your total game count? Do you own the game?

Yes, as by nature of being a closed beta the game wouldn't yet be in sub 0. Any content within sub 0 Steam considers you to own, which is why everybody in your friends list "owns" F2P titles and items like the Mighty Quest for Epic Loot Early Access packs are now useless until the game is shut down or otherwise pulled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom