• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 IV - For me it was Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oreoleo

I also don't like multiplayer shooters and I tend to be wary of free to play

You realize TF2 was not always F2P correct? To each their own though, can't fault you for your tastes.

You really shouldn't just write off F2P games though. Edit: though I guess that's not really what you said.

Should I buy Arkham Origins? I am not the biggest fan of the Arkham series (I think they are average at best), but I did complete Asylum and City and will probably get Knight when it's on sale.

natertots

Quick impressions of GOAT sim. After 5 minutes of playing I can safely say it is worth 10 dollars and better than I expected. It's a lot of fun sliding down the sliding landing on the trampoline and doing a 720 and landing in traffic. My 3 year old stole my controller and will not let me touch it anymore.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Should I buy Arkham Origins? I am not the biggest fan of the Arkham series (I think they are average at best), but I did complete Asylum and City and will probably get Knight when it's on sale.

no, if you're not a big fan i'd say just skip it, maybe pick up the inevitable GOTY (lol) edition when it's cheap

You realize TF2 was not always F2P correct? To each their own though, can't fault you for your tastes.

You really shouldn't just write off F2P games though. Edit: though I guess that's not really what you said.
Oh, really? I actually didn't know that. I've only ever seen the free version. But yeah, I guess it's because I also play a lot of IOS games, I've become wary of F2P.

Oreoleo

Oh, really? I actually didn't know that. I've only ever seen the free version. But yeah, I guess it's because I also play a lot of IOS games, I've become wary of F2P.

TF2 originally came in the Orange Box with HL2: Episode 2, and Portal 1. Full retail product! They moved it to F2P once they figured out how to properly monetize hats, which of course has no bearing on gameplay but CAN be an eyesore.

The big thing with iOS F2P games is the carrot on a stick where unique game features are locked away behind a paywall or you have to pay to speed up some arbitrary timer to continue playing. Something like Candy Crush does both of those. But largely those are absent in PC F2P games.

For 10$ it's a no brainer for the best game in the Arkham trilogy. I'd buy the season pass too, even if you don't care about skins and challenge maps, you're getting the next story DLC for 5$

Question for the Steam experts:

I've been picking up games I missed out on last gen during Steam sales and from Humble Bundles in preparation for me upgrading my computer. Arkham Asylum is on sale now for $5. My backlog is already expansive though and I think I should draw the line at this point. How likely is this game to go on sale again within, say, a year?

Thanks

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

I've been picking up games I missed out on last gen during Steam sales and from Humble Bundles in preparation for me upgrading my computer. Arkham Asylum is on sale now for $5. My backlog is already expansive though and I think I should draw the line at this point. How likely is this game to go on sale again within, say, a year?

Thanks

I'm expecting it to go on sale during the summer, probably for the same price as it is now, maybe slightly less though I doubt that. Definitely expect it to go on sale before Arkham Knight releases this October.

Nabs

Thanks

You'll be able to buy a pack of all 3 games for $15 by then.

Well, it's worth grabbing for sure. It ended up being my favorite in the series, with the best Bat by far. I don't know if that price is right for you, but definitely pick it up before Knight.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold

Thanks

You can check http://isthereanydeal.com/ for a detailed price history of the game among the various retailers. It has also been in the $1 tier of a Humble Bundle and a lot of people from here are doing giveaways with it so you may be lucky and grab one.

Grief.exe

I've been out of commission all day so apologies if this has already been posted.

Chroma Alpha updated. The achievements must be in game only as they have nothing listed on the registry or through Steam

Greetings Chroma Alpha players!

We've just released another update to Chroma that adds new content and numerous bug fixes. Here are some highlights:
New Grenade Types
New Reload System – New messaging for reload, as well as more finely tuned feel.
Support Class Update – It is now more clear what your ally's health state is while healing them.
Increased Weapon Response – Added camera shake during fire for better weapon feel. New audio effect for successfully hitting targets.
Percentage-Based Health – Player health is now displayed as a percentage, as well as a bar, on your HUD.
New HUD Effects – New visual effects for when you take damage, are low on health, or are using traversal pads. Reticule now turns green when you are reloading.
Achievements – Initial pass of unlockable Steam achievements added.
Player health and weapon damage has been completely re-balanced
The lock-on mechanics have been completely revamped.
Numerous bug fixes. Head to the Alpha Forums for much more detail!
Thanks to everybody who has come to the Forums and shared their feedback so far. We look forward to hearing your reactions to this update! You should start to see Chroma updating in your Steam client soon if it hasn't already.

So, the pricing history on the game page is now showing two boxes - one for dollars and another for the usual GBP. Is there a way to disable this, or is it just a bug?

Grief.exe

Fucking hell, I sat down to play some Two Worlds 2 just after 7pm and now its midnight ? Bloody hell, it doesn't feel like 5 hours at all. Been a while a game just grabbed me like that.

I've had the same feeling recently while playing Banished. Just enthralled with that game currently.

There are always new goals or needs for your city and what makes the game compelling is surmounting the massive obstacles and logistical challenges associated with attaining those goals.

Arkham Origins is Arkham City 1.5, there's not a lot of improvements gameplay wise, buy it if you are not afraid of getting burned out.

Any GAFers out there mind sending me a group invite to the Steam NeoGAF group? Pretty please....? Thank you. :) (Steam ID on profile.)

tumblr_m4t20eVr7z1rp5wts.gif

natertots

So I just got 70 bucks in steam wallet funds for my bda and have no idea what to get. Already have DS2 pre ordered. Probably going to pick up the arkham games I don't own on pc. Any impressions on Mirror of Fate HD? Any pc exclusive games that are must buy? (Already have all Valve games). Too many choices.

Nabs

I cry a little when I see Tomb Raider GOTY and Sleeping Dogs DLC collection in my activity feed.

So I just got 70 bucks in steam wallet funds for my bda and have no idea what to get. Already have DS2 pre ordered. Probably going to pick up the arkham games I don't own on pc. Any impressions on Mirror of Fate HD? Any pc exclusive games that are must buy? (Already have all Valve games). Too many choices.

I'm playing Mirror of Fate and I'm bored out of my mind.

NIN90

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Little Racers STREET -- MB-C81DA92ECD41C6B1 - Taken by TuckingFypo

Hadn't played Black Flag in a while due to getting busy with course work and other games so I started it back up only to see "start a new game" on the main menu.

jamesvanderbeek_0.gif

Man all this Ittle Dew talk is gonna make me do another run.
It's awfully clever, especially with how things change based on what items you take.

Holy crap that's awesome. If it isn't too much trouble would you mind posting those? I love (and kind of miss) hand-drawn notes/maps.
Ah, I already tossed it, it was just a single post-it note anyway, there wasn't much to map out, there's no maps needed for the dungeons if you take the shortcuts and I think there were just two block puzzles I knew I would freeze up on.

But I do that quite often and I'll post something the next time.

Hi everybody! Don't know if this is the right or wrong place to do this, but I want to add more steam friends to my list. My username is dapalon. If anyone wants to add me, feel free!

Zafir

Hadn't played Black Flag in a while due to getting busy with course work and other games so I started it back up only to see "start a new game" on the main menu.

jamesvanderbeek_0.gif
Hah I know that feel. I moved over to Windows 8 when I got my SSD back in the Autumn, and when I loaded Sleeping Dogs up last week, I noticed my save was gone. Had gotten far too, like 2/3 of the way through. I wouldn't have minded quite as much if it wasn't for the fact it'll be the second time I've had to start over. I originally had it on 360 and got like half way through.

gabbo

Hi everybody! Don't know if this is the right or wrong place to do this, but I want to add more steam friends to my list. My username is dapalon. If anyone wants to add me, feel free!

It's not a true Steam thread until we have a run on steam friend lists.
steamid: grosvenor

Just got through the Croc fight in Oranges, most impressive thing so far is the bugs. I didn't notice any until the scene with the chamber, then suddenly two Batmans were standing there, Croc throws a guy against the glass and disappears into thin air, and Calendar Man is skating around like he's got 400 ping. Croc fight was so bad too, he kept flickering, the sound kept going out until I paused the game, just a mess. I'm somewhere between buyer's remorse and morbid curiosity to see how bad the rest can get.

natertots

Just got through the Croc fight in Oranges, most impressive thing so far is the bugs. I didn't notice any until the scene with the chamber, then suddenly two Batmans were standing there, Croc throws a guy against the glass and disappears into thin air, and Calendar Man is skating around like he's got 400 ping. Croc fight was so bad too, he kept flickering, the sound kept going out until I paused the game, just a mess. I'm somewhere between buyer's remorse and morbid curiosity to see how bad the rest can get.

That is so weird. I have played Origins for several hours and have not had a single issue. I hope they don't start as I am enjoying the game a lot.

Shade

Enjoy!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Rock of Ages -- MB-184573987DCA49A3 - Taken by The Grim Heaper. 15 entrants total.
POSTAL -- MB-0BEFEEACE9CA4382 - Taken by derExperte. 9 entrants total.
Ring Runner Flight of the Sages -- MB-0D8669DF14E6C667 - Taken by Vlad. 12 entrants total.
Expeditions Conquistador -- MB-A800AC886BBE6139 - Taken by drakaenae. 16 entrants total.
Gun Monkeys -- MB-46BF97BFB862811E - Taken by $h@d0w. 4 entrants total.

t1396157164z1.png

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

You probably need to reformat your PC.

Sounds like you somehow unlocked new game + early.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, it's a surprisingly fun game. Here's hoping for Two Worlds 3 (3/Three Worlds?).

Yeah, I had more fun with that one than I did with Skyrim.

I've had the same feeling recently while playing Banished. Just enthralled with that game currently.

There are always new goals or needs for your city and what makes the game compelling is surmounting the massive obstacles and logistical challenges associated with attaining those goals.

Just spent another 4 hours or so playing more :p I definitely feel safe in calling it a great game/RPG. It has its flaws of course but it's one of the biggest jumps in quality from a dev for me in quite some time, fair play Reality Pump. Gets me very interested in Ravens Cry (well depending on what they have to work with since it's a switch of developers rather than them starting from scratch on their own game).

Looking forward to the expansion now too, got it sitting here for when I finish the main game which admittedly won't be for a while yet. 33 hours played in two days though, not done that for a while.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Wow that optional boss in Ittle Dew is no joke! I only beat him because he clitched and stopped moving/attacking! Ha!

Ah, I already tossed it, it was just a single post-it note anyway, there wasn't much to map out, there's no maps needed for the dungeons if you take the shortcuts and I think there were just two block puzzles I knew I would freeze up on.

But I do that quite often and I'll post something the next time.

No big deal. I imagined you had a couple pages of a legal pad with optimum paths and such marked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom