• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok the more I read about Manos the more I have to have this.

You can knock it out in 4 hours. Worth playing in one sitting I'd say.

You can knock it out in 2 hours. Especially if you're not trying to get the achievements.

I told you to get it, guys.

And I did! Awesome news. How long before it actually shows up on steam?

It was the longest 3 hour game ever. I was so happy it was over.

Thank you! We should be Steam friends if we're not already. ;)

I thought I was alone at this, what a relief!
I tried to finish it in one sitting, but couldn't and still haven't. I have no soul, most likely, I barely finished to the Moon and was bored most of the time :(

not even close!

I'm not sure I agree with you on Journey, but I do agree with you about Brothers!

Dambrosi

Banned
Terraria and Minecraft and pretty different, though.

See, Terraria is actually a game with gameplay. It's basically an open-ended multiplayer Metroid.
Give over, Terraria is nothing like Metroid (unless you count them both being 2D and set mostly underground).

And by that standard, Spelunky is more like Metroid than Terraria is, and it's not even close.

Wok

For some reason, I have been invited to Elder Scrolls Online.

So clicking the link wont automatically redeem the key or am I misunderstanding you?

I don't think so. In my case, I first redeemed the Steam key. Then I clicked the link and filled in my email to get and submit my details (there is a button).

Nabs

One-Way Heroics is definitely worth your time. I've already lost a few hours to it.

I really enjoyed what I played of Treasure Adventure Game, but I haven't touched it in ages. : ( I think I was trying to help out the inhabitants of this large tree that had fallen ill or something when I stopped. Thanks for reminding me about it - I ought to try and get back to that when I can.

Definitely worth going back to. You're really early in your adventure, and there are a lot of amazing moments ahead of you. I think you get a really pimpish hat in that tree.

I'll definitely check out OWH. I might wait for Steam keys, but we'll see!

I thought Hydrophobia was the longest 3 hour game ever.

SHIT. You're right!

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge

A few nice stand outs for me.

Bliss, a nice looking action/puzzle platformer where trying to find the best order of stomping on those enemies seem key for quite a few sections.

Bullet Bros, because for some reason I like the idea of a Contra-like title with rag-doll physics for the characters.

Lili, not a title I'll buy as I already own it on iOS, but a nice adventure title that my daughter loved to watch it all. Nothing too complicated or difficult, but a good story for what they went for with good writing, decent size world to explore, and characters to talk to.
Mind it is an iOS port, so it will be a bit empty compared to some other open world 3D adventure titles, but for all that it was worth on iOS it was worth it. I don't recommend it above $4 USD though.

Shadowgate on the other hand, that's a remake of a good classic point and click adventure that I've been looking forward to revisiting for some time now.

One Way Heroics is a fun turn based roguelike crawler (overworld, not dungeon) where playing online can help influence other people's games and vice versa. I've only played an hour of it, waiting for the Steam copy, but I had great fun and agree with a lot of the praise in the GAF thread for it.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=727834

Ezra2680

Starbound, from what I've seen and been reading in the OT, is more of a "has the potential to be great" title since it's still alpha, and people are betting on mods to improve the final game even further. I'm not into content creation, but if they make the combat, looting, and questing good...

Even for being an alpha, it was one of my favorite games in 2013. I didn't use any mods while playing it and already put in around 60 hours in the first couple of weeks. Taking a break now to not get burnt out before they add more stuff.

Santini

How do you do the flip on jumps in Sega Racing Transformed?

I first saw the AI was doing it last night.

If you're using the 360 controller, push up or down on the right stick.

If you're on keyboard, check your config to be sure; it should be the up or down arrows.

edit: beaten!

Grief.exe

Right stick

Right stick if you have a controller.

If you're using the 360 controller, push up or down on the right stick.

If you're on keyboard, check your config to be sure; it should be the up or down arrows.

edit: beaten!

You push the right joystick in any direction when going off a jump.

Thanks guys! I am using a 360 controller.

Right stick is your tricks. The game has a bad habit of not telling you shit.

I'm ok with this, let me figure out things on my own rather than plastering things all over the screen or telling me over a 30 minute tutorial section.

Now its this cool little hidden feature that I naturally discovered then asked about.

Watch the ego raptor video on Mega Man X for more.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I feel like giving more games.
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 15 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can entry for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Gorky 17 -- MB-E119E39AACAC1B25 - Taken by Dusk Golem. 7 entrants total.
Razor2: Hidden Skies -- MB-89B287883E510E5F - Taken by Kanokare. 4 entrants total.
Warfare -- MB-363FBC0BB7357116 - Taken by PikaZeroX. 4 entrants total.
UFO Extraterrestrials Gold -- MB-B386FCCD0CF816AD - Taken by Relax.MX. 2 entrants total.
Septerra Core: Legacy of the Creator -- MB-FD1C979FF095FFF4 - Taken by Phinor. 8 entrants total.
Gumboy Tournament -- MB-D09E542262E4F57B - Taken by crimsonheadGCN. 7 entrants total.
Insane 2 -- MB-E52EF20B787F99B4 - Taken by Kifimbo. 5 entrants total.
Puzzle Kingdoms -- MB-33F41059E12CF47C - Taken by Danielsan. 4 entrants total.
Two Worlds Epic Edition -- MB-770AEC12A9E12634 - Taken by Dice. 9 entrants total.
Pirates of the Flying Fortress DLC -- MB-007C2FCDC82C1FDA - Taken by JPizzle84. 3 entrants total.
Race Injection -- MB-0E362A2A58296439 - Taken by oipic. 3 entrants total.
Two Worlds II -- MB-823F1F46800ACDAE - Taken by Tellaerin. 9 entrants total.
Enclave -- MB-6C7A2F876A9708DB - Taken by Dice. 4 entrants total.
Hydrophobia Prophecy -- MB-D40534B6703DBCCC - Taken by Kuroyume. 3 entrants total.
Supreme Ruler 2020 Gold -- MB-4569B8E14209E543 - Taken by crimsonheadGCN. 3 entrants total.

t1389125931z1.png

KarmaCow

well, that doesn't sound good... what if Starbound key is already activated separately, you still have unredeemed link to bonus. It is a link, isn't it?

The rewards are seperate from the game itself, I just wanted to give that reward tier with the game as well.

I don't think so. In my case, I first redeemed the Steam key. Then I clicked the link and filled in my email to get and submit my details (there is a button).

Okay whew, thanks.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

BIT.TRIP Presents Runner2 -- MB-EF5F38734604AE3C - Taken by CheesecakeRecipe. 9 entrants total.
Papa and Yo -- MB-F7F81FBC4AF77813 - Taken by MulderWasTaken. 8 entrants total.
To the Moon -- MB-3B392BE0AB910BCA - Taken by Kiru. 9 entrants total.

t1389126201z1.png

Dr Dogg

I'm ok with this, let me figure out things on my own rather than plastering things all over the screen or telling me over a 30 minute tutorial section.

Now its this cool little hidden feature that I naturally discovered then asked about.

Watch the ego raptor video on Mega Man X for more.

Hahah oh you mean Sequelitis. Whilst that's fine when you only have a few controls to play around with its easy to work out what does what. But having a stick which is essentially for camera control used in a way for tricks is a bit out of the ordinary, let alone about drifting, drift boosting, boost starting and all the other things in the game it doesn't tell you about which aren't exactly second nature.

A great game that actually uses gameplay to teach you new moves through gameplay is Super Metroid. Learning the super jump by just gameplay is a perfect example of great game design.

KenOD

Why isn't Tangiers on your list? =p

While it has promise and I'm interested in it no doubt, it needs a lot more time and a lot more to actually present before I'm convinced one way or other. Right now I have it in the "look at it six months later" list category of upcoming games.

NotSelf

I thought I was alone at this, what a relief!
I tried to finish it in one sitting, but couldn't and still haven't. I have no soul, most likely, I barely finished to the Moon and was bored most of the time :(

Your not alone the music was the worst part for me.

Give over, Terraria is nothing like Metroid (unless you count them both being 2D and set mostly underground).

And by that standard, Spelunky is more like Metroid than Terraria is, and it's not even close.

Wow. Have you even played Terraria?
Terraria definitely has some Metroid type influences.

I thought Hydrophobia was the longest 3 hour game ever.

At least Hydrophobia might actually have some "gameplay" or be "challenging" at some point. :)

SHIT. You're right!

Brothers is currently the longest 3 hour game I've ever played through, at least. :)

I must have spent way too long taking in the scenery on the benches then.

Could be -- that's about the only thing that could slow you down. I mean, I had in game time when I was in a pause menu too... and Steam has me as "3 hours" even.

Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons
3.0 hrs on record

denx

I'm an idiot and bought the Starbound tier for no reason so here.

Use this link with the code.
https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=

If anyone knows how to redeem the Pixel Tier Reward manually instead of clicking on the link in the Humble Bundle key page, let me know.

In for Starbound, thanks! I was reading a couple of pages back, pretty crazy how the 1000 Starbound copies disappeared when some people were still loading PayPal, wow.

As for the bundle, it could had been better, but I'm not going to complain. To the Moon, Runner 2 and Surgeon Simulator 2013 are reason enough for me to get this bundle.

Ezra2680

I did not know that. And it selling a million digicopies changes absolutely nothing about my opinion, so I don't know why you mentioned it.

(FYI, I didn't like the first Terraria, nor Minecraft either. That whole genre seems pointless to me. I'm an old-school arcade gamer at heart - give my sprite a gun and lots of aliens to shoot and I'm there. Yeah, I'm a DadBro, now get orf mah lawn)

This describes a large portion of my time with Starbound so far.

Mrbob

I own the iOS version of Kingdom Rush but bought it again on Steam because I really like this game. Glad I did the PC version is great. Controls are awesome plus you get the ability to use every hero available once unlocked. No extra money required. Can't wait for the new campaign to be added in a couple weeks.

Grief.exe

Hahah oh you mean Sequelitis. Whilst that's fine when you only have a few controls to play around with its easy to work out what does what. But having a stick which is essentially for camera control used in a way for tricks is a bit out of the ordinary, let alone about drifting, drift boosting, boost starting and all the other things in the game it doesn't tell you about which aren't exactly second nature.

A great game that actually uses gameplay to teach you new moves through gameplay is Super Metroid. Learning the super jump by just gameplay is a perfect example of great game design.

Its crazy how much depth the game has while retaining a simple control scheme. Great design, and its why it was so high on the GAF GOTY list.

Drifting - hold LT around corners, adjust aim with left stick.
Drift Boosting - hold the drift for long enough
Boost Starting - hit RT at the right moment during the start? I've never gotten that to happen correctly.

Got a TES Online beta invite. Stress test from Friday till Sudnay.

Now you can tell us how shitty it is.

KenOD

A great game that actually uses gameplay to teach you new moves through gameplay is Super Metroid. Learning the space jump by just gameplay is a perfect example of game design.

Well, Sumo did actually tell people that stunts were done via the right analogue stick with the Xbox 360 Controller set-up. Just did so in the manual. http://cdn4.steampowered.com/Manuals/212480/SART_PC_MANUAL_UK_ESD.pdf?t=1386962031

I still think Transformed does a good job and telling people about various tricks though. Added motion blurs when flying downward in plane mode to indicate better speed, or as a plane dodging an object at the last second and the announcer going RISK BOOST, or indicating that one could start a "drift" in the air by showing the start of the boost burn before one even touches the floor.

Other stuff like when to get the boost at the start of the race, aye it's easy to miss that, but that's more a staple of kart racing games in general now. However again, visual clues are given. If you hit it correctly a small boost start is shown and if you miss it a puff of smoke instead.

Some tips are also given at the bottom of the screen during some segments of menus or loading.

It's much better than All Stars (the previous game) where they had terrible Sonic Says splashes that old you oh so basic stuff.

Oh yes, can't wait for Dark Souls 2, I need it now! Hehe

Come to the cafe with me.
http://www.darksouls.jp/pc/darksoulscafe/index.html
http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/000/784/784375/#eid784401

rtcn63

Didn't the later 3D Sonic games have right-stick tricks when you were in the air? It took me quite awhile to figure it out. Just... why.

HoosTrax

Boost Starting - hit RT at the right moment during the start? I've never gotten that to happen correctly.
Boost start is when you hit the gas in sequence with the three go lights. To do it correct, you should time each to happen during the white "flash".

ZeroCDR

Didn't the later 3D Sonic games have right-stick tricks when you were in the air? It took me quite awhile to figure it out. Just... why.

I remember this in the DS games, it helped fill up your boost gauge.

Rolling around at the speed of sound etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom