• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Monk

I would love to be there and drink a coffee my friend. I would write a nice message on the floor too.

Oh and thank you for the link with the photos, I must have missed them. Here's hoping the PC Version comes soon enough because I already know I'll be waiting a decent time to get my hands on my copy (shipping take more time than that it should!)

I should start working on the game OT soon now that you mention it >.>

Are you the GAFfer who is going to make it? Goo luck, I want something special!

Dr Dogg

Its crazy how much depth the game has while retaining a simple control scheme. Great design, and its why it was so high on the GAF GOTY list.

Drifting - hold LT around corners, adjust aim with left stick.
Drift Boosting - hold the drift for long enough
Boost Starting - hit RT at the right moment during the start? I've never gotten that to happen correctly.

Well I'll not spoil it for you but outside of transform and trick boosts, there are 3 levels of drift boost (which are easy to work out) and 3 levels of boost starts (not so easy to work out). Was on my list at No 5 so I do have a bit of a soft spot for it.

Well, Sumo did actually tell people that stunts were done via the right analogue stick with the Xbox 360 Controller set-up. Just did so in the manual. http://cdn4.steampowered.com/Manuals/212480/SART_PC_MANUAL_UK_ESD.pdf?t=1386962031

I still think Transformed does a good job and telling people about various tricks though. Added motion blurs when flying downward in plane mode to indicate better speed, or as a plane dodging an object at the last second and the announcer going RISK BOOST, or indicating that one could start a "drift" in the air by showing the start of the boost burn before one even touches the floor.

Other stuff like when to get the boost at the start of the race, aye it's easy to miss that, but that's more a staple of kart racing games in general now. However again, visual clues are given. If you hit it correctly a small boost start is shown and if you miss it a puff of smoke instead.

Some tips are also given at the bottom of the screen during some segments of menus or loading.

It's much better than All Stars (the previous game) where they had terrible Sonic Says splashes that old you oh so basic stuff.

You know what I don't think I've ever looked at a manual for anything I own on Steam.

It does have some great visual feedback ala Mario Kart and 64 regards to drifting and starts not just from your own racer but your opponents too. Bizarrely I must need my eyes tested as I've never noticed any of the tool tips giving any control hints.

Kuroyume

Banned
I got that Starbound bundle even though I didn't want it. Felt so stupid. Oh well, going to force myself to try it. I've had the original Terraria for a while now and it just didn't engross me.

Annubis

Whelp, my meeting went overtime and I lost any chance at a 9.99 Starbound.
Probably would have been indecisive and miss it anyway.

AkuMifune

Banned
I'm pretty addicted to Hammerwatch, but it needs more character building/stat options. It's too roguelike where it should be more RPG.

Starting to hate this rogue-like design philosophy trend. How about what's best for the game?

Their names start with V.

I want to thank you for responding to the question but I'm actually wondering why the name was chosen by the creator, according to the creator, as there are a few different possibilities one can discern from the game as to why the name was chosen but I'm wondering if the creator has stated it explicitly. This is to say, I'm wondering whether the character names precede the name, or if the characters were named following the conception of the title.

EDIT: I realise it's probably a petty, insignificant distinction, I'm just quite curious as to why he thought of that name specifically (as opposed to, for example, naming the crew members with Bs and calling it BBBBBB) so I'm hoping he's commented upon it somewhere (as I've been unable to find any).

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Thanks for Two Worlds, Gravelord_Nito, it should run great on my machine as opposed to some newer games.

Boost Starting - hit RT at the right moment during the start? I've never gotten that to happen correctly.
You pump it at the times the screen goes dark.

Read the tricks and advanced guides!
http://steamcommunity.com/app/212480/guides/

I was like 4th place always even on a "perfect" race until I learned the moves. I think it's incredibly stupid that the game doesn't teach you these things that are clearly fundamentals the devs had in mind.

Arthea

What was one Groupees Holiday Helpings bonus that was unlocked? I look at the bundle and can't see any extra bonus.

Whelp, my meeting went overtime and I lost any chance at a 9.99 Starbound.
Probably would have been indecisive and miss it anyway.

It was gone so fast, it felt as I blinked and it was over.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
It seems some keys were not taken. Don't be shy guys!!! This aint Bad Rats.
I feel like giving more games.
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 15 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can entry for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Gorky 17 -- MB-E119E39AACAC1B25 - Taken by Dusk Golem. 7 entrants total.
Razor2: Hidden Skies -- MB-89B287883E510E5F - Taken by Kanokare. 4 entrants total.
Warfare -- MB-363FBC0BB7357116
UFO Extraterrestrials Gold -- MB-B386FCCD0CF816AD
Septerra Core: Legacy of the Creator -- MB-FD1C979FF095FFF4 - Taken by Phinor. 8 entrants total.
Gumboy Tournament -- MB-D09E542262E4F57B
Insane 2 -- MB-E52EF20B787F99B4 - Taken by Kifimbo. 5 entrants total.
Puzzle Kingdoms -- MB-33F41059E12CF47C - Taken by Danielsan. 4 entrants total.
Two Worlds Epic Edition -- MB-770AEC12A9E12634 - Taken by Dice. 9 entrants total.
Pirates of the Flying Fortress DLC -- MB-007C2FCDC82C1FDA - Taken by JPizzle84. 3 entrants total.
Race Injection -- MB-0E362A2A58296439 - Taken by oipic. 3 entrants total.
Two Worlds II -- MB-823F1F46800ACDAE - Taken by Tellaerin. 9 entrants total.
Enclave -- MB-6C7A2F876A9708DB
Hydrophobia Prophecy -- MB-D40534B6703DBCCC - Taken by Kuroyume. 3 entrants total.
Supreme Ruler 2020 Gold -- MB-4569B8E14209E543

t1389125931z1.png

Relax.MX

Thanks YianGaruga for Europa Universalis III Collection

ModBot said:
Instructions for Relax.MX:

I am giving away 22 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin -- MB-61AA967BEAC72527 - Taken by DJ Crimson. 1 entrants total.
F.E.A.R. -- MB-CE3862255054B532 - Taken by m.gorecki. 3 entrants total.
vRvbDCu.png
Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box Origin Key -- MB-D33D52E06404DB9B
Serious Sam 3: BFE -- MB-78A60887D4325426 - Taken by Snakethesniper. 3 entrants total.
vRvbDCu.png
Mirror's Edge Origin Key -- MB-8C1454D385539DAE - Taken by Corvo Jensen
Mark of the Ninja -- MB-13D0D114C3DFAA7E - Taken by Shalashaska. 3 entrants total.
vRvbDCu.png
Dead Space Origin Key -- MB-166AF695CA7F0550
vRvbDCu.png
Populous Origin Key -- MB-D0BF57019A1862D4 - Taken by Frustrated_Grunt. 1 entrants total.
Batman: Arkham City GOTY -- MB-E68C812D5A7C6E33 - Taken by Cozmogramma. 3 entrants total.
Gemini Rue -- MB-000D9760EB6B59EE - Taken by Ravensmash. 1 entrants total.
Little Inferno -- MB-03CBA0E24A3D5D1D - Taken by skullmuffins. 3 entrants total.
Crysis 2 Maximum Edition Origin Key -- MB-0CB776BF87DFA9F4 - Taken by Peachblossom. 1 entrants total.
Killing Floor -- MB-7A49029824C6C2CB - Taken by Sullichin. 2 entrants total.
Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 -- MB-EC9332F42FD242E0 - Taken by SSPssp
Brutal Legend Steam Key -- MB-34029EE6C65A3DC7 - Taken by Volotaire. 3 entrants total.
Dead Space -- MB-CA53397CDD88B633 - Taken by SSPssp
Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY -- MB-F4B8C31FE5A9E04A - Taken by schuey7. 1 entrants total.
Orcs Must Die! GOTY -- MB-8539573C3A524BD4 - Taken by Santini. 2 entrants total.
Orcs Must Die! 2: Complete Pack -- MB-158E6A287707E585 - Taken by nexen. 9 entrants total.
Zeno Clash -- MB-8CE9BD1DFC43D8C3 - Taken by Spirited
vRvbDCu.png
Battlefield 3 Origin Key -- MB-7BB5DCA02C7D0338 - Taken by crazyrabbits. 1 entrants total.
The Lord of the Rings Online: Steely Dawn Starter Pack -- MB-98B3D3A2C48B5E4C

t1389127596z1.png

GaussTek

Humble Bundle X get. Shame I won't be able to beat the average, not too much interested in Reus or Surgeon Simulator anyway (unless I win it here lol), but I bet that the bonus games will be great :(

Anteater

I want to thank you for responding to the question but I'm actually wondering why the name was chosen by the creator, according to the creator, as there are a few different possibilities one can discern from the game as to why the name was chosen but I'm wondering if the creator has stated it explicitly. This is to say, I'm wondering whether the character names precede the name, or if the characters were named following the conception of the title.

EDIT: I realise it's probably a petty, insignificant distinction, I'm just quite curious as to why he thought of that name specifically (as opposed to, for example, naming the crew members with Bs and calling it BBBBBB) so I'm hoping he's commented upon it somewhere (as I've been unable to find any).

It was because vvvvvv looks like the spikes in the game I think, at least from what I remember reading

Elija2

Boost start is when you hit the gas in sequence with the three go lights. To do it correct, you should time each to happen during the white "flash".

Wait, there are different levels of boost starts? I've always just been hitting the gas on the last number. So if I hit it when the announcer says 3, 2, and 1 I'll get a bigger boost?

Grief.exe

Thanks for Two Worlds, Gravelord_Nito, it should run great on my machine as opposed to some newer games.

You pump it at the times the screen goes dark.

Read the tricks and advanced guides!
http://steamcommunity.com/app/212480/guides/

I'll check out some of the guides.

Wait, there are different levels of boost starts? I've always just been hitting the gas on the last number. So if I hit it when the announcer says 3, 2, and 1 I'll get a bigger boost?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=126736604

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
It seems some keys were not taken. Don't be shy guys!!! This aint Bad Rats.
Well if you insist, I went for Enclave as well. Old school action-adventures await!

I think I have entered for more games today than I have for all my past days on GAF.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Its crazy how much depth the game has while retaining a simple control scheme. Great design, and its why it was so high on the GAF GOTY list.

Drifting - hold LT around corners, adjust aim with left stick.
Drift Boosting - hold the drift for long enough
Isn't this the same as every Mario Kart ever, though? Except for flipping on the air, which I don't recall seeing in any MK.

Newblade

Let's do this!

ModBot said:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

Surgeon Simulator 2013 -- MB-F471F567473A2C3A - Taken by Santini. 14 entrants total.
Papo & Yo -- MB-04AA7ADB719F5C75 - Taken by Tesseract. 4 entrants total.
To the Moon -- MB-6CD77EE140439EA4 - Taken by C4rter. 2 entrants total.
BIT.TRIP Presents... Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien -- MB-EAE2F15D23882844 - Taken by Vazduh. 9 entrants total.

t1389128002z1.png

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Boost start is when you hit the gas in sequence with the three go lights. To do it correct, you should time each to happen during the white "flash".
I think you once taught me this, but I only managed to pull it off once or twice. It's too hard for me, and I never know exactly when to accelerate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom