• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Backlogger

It's been sitting here for at least 15 minutes now. What should I do?

ron-swanson-computer-throw-out-parks-and-rec.gif

tylergregg

Neo Member
99% sure this key still works, enjoy
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Mark of the Ninja -- MB-D8BF16AA5B9873FA - Taken by adriano999

random

Since Shade is (was? it took me a comically long time to write this...) giving everybody (who is a regular in this thread) the chance to enjoy Brothers , and the game is currently on sale, I wanted to give my two cents on the game for those that are on the fence.

I played the game without knowing anything, and will try not to spoil it. For those that want to go in absolutely blind: I liked it and would recommend playing it.

As for why:

I had heard only good things about the game when I bought it, but I am absolutely not surprised that there were quite a few negative opinions when the game was discussed here yesterday.
The game does not really offer a challenge, it uses the puzzles and the controls as a mechanic to tell its story, to "live" the relationship of the brothers.
All in this game works to tell the story, and the story relies heavily on atmosphere and feelings.
So of course it will work for some and say nothing to others.

I believe even those that are not moved by the game, should be able to get enjoyment out of a couple of clever techniques the game uses, that I had never seen or thought of (again, all for the story and the emotional attachment, you will not see these mechanisms implemented in games where the focus is on reflexes or complex problem solving).

The one challenge I gave myself, was to control the brothers as naturally as possible. I tried to play in a way that was nice to look at. I was treating the game as a play in which I was in charge of the "action scenes" (which were mostly puzzles).
For this reason I found the challenge to be appropriate. It was just enough to feel like you were doing something, and the one time I had to repeat a sequence more than once I felt slightly annoyed, because it was messing with the flow of the game (and it felt like the game was at fault
for having to guess where you should crash with the glider
).

The game takes more or less as long as an average movie to play through, the setting is fairy tale like and, apart from playing through the story once more, the only reason to replay the game are a couple of side puzzles that unlock most achievements.

For what it is worth, I did thoroughly enjoy my journey.

And speaking of short, story-heavy, puzzle focused games.

Thanks to random for Papa & Yo :)

Enjoy!

fernandes

Same weird thing happened to me with the latest client update. Had to re-download 2GB of HL2 and another 8 for Sonic Transformed. Not sure what happened there.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I just bought the bundle for Richard & Alice and the faint hope of the mystery title being something I don't already have:

Thanks! I've been eying a Valley Without Wind for like the last 4 big sales and just never pull the trigger. Looking forward to trying it out without needing to get over the hurdle of the offputting visuals before buying it.

Copons

I only have the one achievement left for mark of the ninja- complete new game +. Should I bother?

Yes! NG+ is even stealthier (IIRC, cause I tried playing last week at the DLC after months since the base game, and apparently I can't remember how to play it, so maybe I forgot the NG+ too :D )

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Thanks for Cognition, Jase!
Thanks! I've been eying a Valley Without Wind for like the last 4 big sales and just never pull the trigger. Looking forward to trying it out without needing to get over the hurdle of the offputting visuals before buying it.

No worries. :)

Same weird thing happened to me with the latest client update. Had to re-download 2GB of HL2 and another 2 for Sonic Transformed. Not sure what happened there.

Yeah, something went awry with the client updates released recently. I woke up yesterday to find that my library game count had dropped by one. My initial thought was that one of the keys I'd bought from a reseller had been pulled, but for this very reason I keep a list of the keys I've bought from such places and all the games were still present, plus my Community game count hadn't dropped. I ultimately realised Steam had decided to uninstall Codename Gordon (I like to keep free [not to be confused with free-to-play] games installed).

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Choices Bundle is live

bit shitty, and I own everything >_>

Cognition eps 1 and 2, Valley without Wind 1 and 2, Dungeon Hearts, Pid Waveform all steam. Richard and Alice is greenlight

fernandes

I'm really interested in Cognition but how do you get episodes 3 and 4 on Steam if you grab the first 2 from the Royale bundle (or any other bundle)? Is Steam still doing that discount thing for owners of the first episodes?

Shade

Another extra key. Enjoy!

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Sleeping Dogs -- MB-A549202CD94150BA - Taken by crazyrabbits. 31 entrants total.

t1389210713z1.png

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Haha, I just said something similar in the dedicated thread:

I'm surprised Majesco remembered Steam existed. :p

That's fitting, because I had no idea those games were on Steam. So Steam might have trouble remembering Majesco exists.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
why the fuck is steam not letting me sell cards because it says the cookies in my browser arent on? whut? o_O

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm really interested in Cognition but how do you get episodes 3 and 4 on Steam if you grab the first 2 from the Royale bundle (or any other bundle)? Is Steam still doing that discount thing for owners of the first episodes?

The discount expired shortly before the Autumn Sale and Phoenix hasn't made any effort to make the episodes available individually... on Steam, that is: http://store.postudios.com/collecti...roducts/cognition-season-upgrade-episodes-3-4

Do we have a timer for when MGR is up?

why the fuck is steam not letting me sell cards because it says the cookies in my browser arent on? whut? o_O

This happens if you are logged in both in the client and browser. Close browser and restart client. At least it fixes that way to me.

Scipius

Thanks to the generosity of The_Super_Inframan, I have a copy of The Ship to give away. Enjoy!
ModBot said:

Rules for this Giveaway:

The Ship -- MB-3A329A84DB769023 - Taken by m.gorecki

Backlogger

I haven't even scratched the surface yet obviously, but really liking Starbound so far. Love the music and graphics. Since I am playing on a 1440p monitor I'm glad they had the zoom setting (set to 4x). Based on the HUD it doesn't seem likely that they would add controller support to a game like this, but I think they should. I may work on an xPadder profile or wait to see what people come up with for the Steam controller.

I like the quest structure, something I think is missing from games like Minecraft and Terreria. How much is the questing part of the game finished? Does it get to a point where you kind of run out of quests to do?

Backlogger

I actually won Brothers?!?!? Thank you so much Shade!

Congrats. Its a fun, relaxing game. Terrific art style and interesting controller/play style. I haven't finished it yet, but what I have played so far doesn't seem like a very challenging game but an enjoyable experience all around.

Wok

Secrets of Rætikon got an update.

Dear backer of Secrets of Rætikon,

Today is an exciting day because you finally get your Steam keys. Secrets of Rætikon launches on Steam Early Access with a brand new version: Alpha 10.

Here’s what’s new in Alpha 10:
+ All new tutorial
+ All new level that replaces the thunderstorm level
+ New platforms: native Linux 64 bit and OSX 10.6!
+ Re-worked water behaviour - now more realistic than in real life!
+ Animals are now able to swim (but cannot drown … yet).
+ Improved lynx attack and defence patterns, as well as overall movement.
+ Improved buzzard movement and attack patterns. It can actually fight lynx now!
+ Buzzards pauses at nest after being hatched.
+ Lots of new plants to uproot and trees to break apart.
+ Lots of bug fixes and stability improvements in the game and the editor

You will find a Steam Key if you hit up the Humble Store link we’ve sent you during the campaign. If you lost your initial mail I can resend it. Just contact me at [...] to do so.

Broken Rules wishes you a great New Year and all the best for 2014.

Cheers,
Martin
(For the whole team of Broken Rules)

My advise for everyone now that the Steam Sale is over:
Only install the games you want to play at the moment. And select to view only your installed games. Less choise is good for you. I get intimidated by my backlog sometimes and i dont feel like playing anything then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom