• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
epmode said:
Yeah, but this doesn't copy any registry settings. It's probably better to use the in-Steam backup function.

Think you're right. Copied over my L4D folder to my external, upgraded to Windows 7 with clean install, and had to download a lot more after copying it back over and re-installing Steam. Lost my Steam Cloud too =\

Also, L4D has a TON of voice files. Holy.

epmode

hulot said:
Does Steam backup everything then, saves included?
No. You'll have to save that stuff manually. This is actually REALLY ANNOYING on today's computers, what with all of the OS-specific save folders.

I only suggest the Steam backup because it'll avoid registry oddities at the very least.

DMczaf

It's actually $0.01 cheaper to buy each COH game seperately than it is to buy the Complete Pack

Every penny counts!

Edit: Actually, if you buy the COH Gold Pack and then Tales of Valor it comes up to $5 less than the Complete Pack

Complete Pack - $34.98

COH Gold Pack + Tales of Valor - $29.98

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Aww, come on Valve. I buy the Civ4 pack pre-Colonization and now I you want me to buy the pack again?

Yeah, I suppose it's still cheaper than buying Colonization... but what a waste.

Coldsnap

Can anyone recommend me an RPG to play off steam? If it hasn't been released on xbox 360 or Ps3 then most likely I have not played it. I don't really care how in depth it is, how many quests there are, or how big the lang is; I would like something that can be described as fun and addicting.

Mrbob

Coldsnap said:
Can anyone recommend me an RPG to play off steam? If it hasn't been released on xbox 360 or Ps3 then most likely I have not played it. I don't really care how in depth it is, how many quests there are, or how big the lang is; I would like something that can be described as fun and addicting.

The.

Witcher.

Mrbob

Titan Quest would be a good choice too, but it isn't really an RPG. More of an isometric action/lewt whoring game in the vein of Diablo, and it works great. I own both on steam and they are fantastic.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Ugh already own CoH vanilla but had to get the 2 other expansions for this price. Ordered Painkiller pack even though i own Painkiller black on disc. Civ4 deal is amazing but already own all the actual Civ4 games and Wolfenstein is on steam now for about 50 bucks. I can wait out Wolfenstein till christmas i think.

Oh no, midweek madness? Civ Complete pack for $20?

Sounds like this is only the beginning for my wallet to get raped twice a week now.

1fvgjn.gif

Slavik81

epmode said:
Yeah, but this doesn't copy any registry settings. It's probably better to use the in-Steam backup function.
Works fine for me, every time.

The only thing you have to be sure to do is to track down the stupid, crazy places that games put their saves. Most are in AppData, ProgramData, My Documents, My Saves, or Program Files. Ugh.

Daigoro

holy shit. Civ IV complete for $20?

wow. amazing deal. arg. so hard to resist.

Lone_Prodigy said:
Think you're right. Copied over my L4D folder to my external, upgraded to Windows 7 with clean install, and had to download a lot more after copying it back over and re-installing Steam. Lost my Steam Cloud too =\

Also, L4D has a TON of voice files. Holy.

how the hell did you lose your steam cloud? i built a new PC, redownloaded all of my games and L4D still had all of my voice chat binds when i fired it up. crazy.

Tim-E

I'll probably get the Civ4 collection when I get the money from my friends to purchase the Borderlands 4 pack later this week. Goodbye, monies :(

Blizzard

Banned
I don't play Civ-style games much, but I think I've heard Civ 4 is pretty good, and $20 is REALLY tempting. At least I have a couple of days to think about it. :D

I was actually feeling tempted to get Borderlands, but maybe if I watched some video of it I would decide it isn't my style of game. I have to talk myself out of buying things I won't play. :p

Toby

Blizzard said:
I don't play Civ-style games much, but I think I've heard Civ 4 is pretty good, and $20 is REALLY tempting. At least I have a couple of days to think about it. :D
I didn't think I would like it much either, but after buying it last week in the D2D sale I was hooked. Ended up having to pry myself away from it after playing 17 hours in two days.

I plan on buying this complete package just for the expansion packs, maybe I can use my extra copy to get my friend addicted.

Daigoro said:
how the hell did you lose your steam cloud? i built a new PC, redownloaded all of my games and L4D still had all of my voice chat binds when i fired it up. crazy.

Dunno, it said it had problems syncing. Wasn't a big deal: just had to change the resolution and stuff. It kept all my key binds (which were in the config file).

Mrbob

Do 3rd party games allow to preload?

I've noticed Dragon Age is going to be 20gb (according to impulse), and I do not want to have to wait to download all that on release day. Would love a preload option for the title, otherwise I'll probably go retail box on this one.

Or I might have to go impulse on the game. 20% off coupon for impulse floating around you can use on the title, will depend on what the steam preorder price is.

Volcynika

Mrbob said:

I've noticed Dragon Age is going to be 20gb (according to impulse), and I do not want to have to wait to download all that on release day. Would love a preload option for the title, otherwise I'll probably go retail box on this one.

Or I might have to go impulse on the game. 20% off coupon for impulse floating around you can use on the title, will depend on what the steam preorder price is.

They do only in special cases like Valve/publisher agree on it (I don't know how it works), for example, Borderlands will offer preload.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yeah I wish every game did. For example of games I've recently preordered Batman didn't. Nor did Zuma's Revenge! (ok less of a big deal there)

Polk

grif1020 said:
Wolfenstein is up on Steam finally as well, for 50$. I'm still waiting on Wolverine Activision, get on that.
50$? It's 60 euros in Europe. Why the hell it costs as much as console games (and COD:MW2)? Yet if you live in UK you pay less then half of that.

Nabbed Company of Heroes, for that price it's a no brainer really, especially with how much I enjoyed Dawn of War 2.

What's the deal with The Witch not being on the UK store? I've had a bit of an interest in that but not enough to seek it out elsewhere. The sooner we get rid of all this regions bullshit with digital content the better.

Boonoo

If you right click the game in the steam menu and then go to properties there might be a language tab. There are in a lot of other steam games.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Mrbob said:

:O

Jesus christ.

The Steam version of Dragon Age will come with a Steam exclusive bonus:

Steam Exclusive Item
The Wicked Oath

Countess Luciana of Antiva lived as a virtual prisoner in her husband’s castle until an elven slave offered her a way out. The slave magically bound a small amount of the countess’s blood into a ring in return for a promise of freedom. The countess agreed, and the count was found stabbed soon afterwards, this ring lying beside him. Neither Luciana nor the slave were seen again.

Adds +10% to critical strike damage
Improves armor penetration by 2
Adds +1 to combat stamina regeneration

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
LovingSteam said:
Dragons Age Delux Version should be up for pre-purchase soon, it was just added to the coming soon section.

Woot! As much as I dread downloading 20GB of shit when it's released... I'll be buying from Steam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom