• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
madmook said:
Wow SR2 is really tempting at that price... but weren't there a lot of technical/performance issues with the PC version?

It's not the best port ever, and if your hardware is older than the past year or so I wouldn't recommend it. I got it during the $5 D2D sale and it's a bit clunky, but it works fine. Not the worst port in recent memory, that honor goes to Mercenaries 2.

Thomper

KiKaL said:
I have Saint's Row 2 and haven't had an issues at all. I've put in about 6 hours and like it. I can say though I just recently upgraded and my old system that could run Far Cry 2 and UT3 decently couldn't run Saint's Row 2 at all. I have a high end system now and it runs perfectly fine. It seems the most important thing is CPU speed because that, mobo and ram is all I upgraded.
Yeah, that's what the Steam-forums seem to indicate. Most people will have the right graphics card or enough RAM, but you'll need an insane CPU speed for the game to run well. It's a shame - it's a low price, now, but I don't wanna pick it up because I'm worried my PC will be insufficient.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
It might not hurt to wait even longer on Saint's Row 2, especially if your computer might not be able to run it right now. The game activates through Steam, so regardless of where it is bought it'll end up on your account. I remember Direct2Drive had it for 5 bucks only a couple weeks ago and you may even be able to do better at retail.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Is the gameplay the same I'm guessing for Dawn of War II or did they change things?

You mean from Dawn of War 1? It's vastly different, there's no base building you have several persistent squads of marines that you use throughout the game. It's got alot of RPG elements too in terms of leveling up and finding/equiping loot.

Terrifyer

Banned
I thought SR2 was definitely worth the 5$ I paid for it on d2d two weeks ago but the performance is terrible. I have a phenom II quad core overclocked to 3.72ghz and a 5850 and with vsync on the game stays at 30 fps most of the time, dropping down to about ~20 fps briefly while loading a new area. Probably worth it at 7.50$ but only if you have a good cpu.

Lothars

Submarino Conversível said:
How much is Civ4 Complete with the deal?

It's 20 US for CIV IV and both expansions and Colonization, I am thinking of paying for it just for Warlords and Colonization because I don't have either of those.

Blizzard

Banned
Submarino Conversível said:
How much is Civ4 Complete with the deal?
It's $20 for the entire pack, and I gave in today and got it. :lol I used to play the clone FreeCiv, and I played the original SimCity 2000, so maybe it'll be fun if I get around to installing it.

LovingSteam said:
Dragons Age pre purchase up and for the Delux its only $55!! That is $10 less than D2D. Get on it fast, Valve may correct the price.

Dunno if this is temporary (ie it's not up properly) but while the story is in the news feed the actual game is saying it's not available in the region (UK).

Asparagus

This has got to be the greatest bargain week of the last few years. First a bunch of awesome EA games, then World of Goo and now Saint's Row 2!

Even if it's a bad port I'll give SR2 a try for £3.75.

adg1034

LovingSteam said:
Dragons Age pre purchase up and for the Delux its only $55!! That is $10 less than D2D. Get on it fast, Valve may correct the price.

I... couldn't resist. Hold me while I comfort my aching wallet, GAF.

Saterium

To be honest I haven't done much research in this matter but is there any advantage in getting the retail version of Dragon age deluxe vs the Steam version (DRM stuff aside and all that).

It looks like Steam has an exclusive item or two, any such thing for the retail? Otherwise I'm about to hit purchase on it =)

*EDIT* now that I look at it, I can't even see the deluxe PC version over at ebgames.com, hm.

*EDIT2* Ah ha, it's at the EA store for 65 bucks.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Ogs said:
Nobody else find the SR2 driving stutter to be a game killer ? I gave up after 10 minutes :(
Did you try reducing detail and stuff? I'm still installing, but I'll post impressions once the thing is on my disk.

Edit: Geeze, still 3 hours to go here. That is mind-boggling.

Saterium said:
To be honest I haven't done much research in this matter but is there any advantage in getting the retail version of Dragon age deluxe vs the Steam version (DRM stuff aside and all that).

It looks like Steam has an exclusive item or two, any such thing for the retail? Otherwise I'm about to hit purchase on it =)

*EDIT* now that I look at it, I can't even see the deluxe PC version over at ebgames.com, hm.

*EDIT2* Ah ha, it's at the EA store for 65 bucks.

LOL yea, exactly. I am thinking the price is wrong and Valve will correct it tomorrow or something so I pulled the trigger right away :)

Asparagus

Seems the only way to get Saints Row 2 running well is to disable Dynamic Lighting which makes it look really, really bad. Think I'll just put it on the back burner until I upgrade and go through San Andreas again instead.

I grabbed SR2 for $5 on D2D during there last sale and it was a complete waste of money. The game's performance is embarrassingly bad and kills the experience. Also, who uses 'shift' and 'ctrl' in place of the arrow keys for menu navigation?

hadar

I'm a bit confused about the original Dawn of War games, are all the expansions needed or is there one that's considered the best? Halp :(

graywolf323

KittyKittyBangBang said:
idk, this could be a trend, because Borderlands is also 10% off for pre-purchasing.

10% is listed as a sale

Dragon Age has the $10 less listed as a regular price not as on sale

never have understood why some people have trouble understanding the difference between on sale and normal price with Steam, I mean they make it easy for you with the whole strike through the normal price and sale price listed beneath it along with a little note saying it's on sale

Mrbob

This isn't the first time Steam regular price is cheaper than competing DD services.

Heck Popcap was selling their games on steam for 10 bucks a pop for the longest time, while selling the same games on their own website for $19.99.

It is possible the steam price is being used as a test to see how it does versus other versions. Also, Valve might be aware of the 20% impulse coupon which puts the impulse version down to 52 bucks, and may have asked EA to get something priced competitively. Who knows for certain.

Ledsen

hadar said:
I'm a bit confused about the original Dawn of War games, are all the expansions needed or is there one that's considered the best? Halp :(

From what I hear, the first two expansions get progressively better (Winter Assault, Dark Crusade), but the third one (Soulstorm) is basically a rehash of Dark Crusade but not as good, and with new armies that don't really add anything. That's just what I've heard though as I haven't had time to really play the game yet.

Meh. Starting to think i should build a PC. But i guess i'll just buy Dragon Age on console then ;\

and Saints Row. crappy. waste of $8 :lol

I can get dragon age for $39 on impulse, but they don't know if it's gonna use securom or not yet. :\ Maybe I'll get it during the steam holiday sale.

Mrbob

Yeah that isn't bad either....I read the retail PC version just requires a disc check at startup.

Hoping the ECA coupons come back up....been waiting for them before getting DOA. I have a 10 dollar gift card in my account right now for another game, and a 25 dollar one incoming so I can get the retail game pretty cheap at the moment.

graywolf323

TouchMyBox said:
I can get dragon age for $39 on impulse, but they don't know if it's gonna use securom or not yet. :\ Maybe I'll get it during the steam holiday sale.

all the other EA games on Impulse have Securom

Mrbob said:
Titan Quest would be a good choice too, but it isn't really an RPG. More of an isometric action/lewt whoring game in the vein of Diablo, and it works great. I own both on steam and they are fantastic.

AAARGH!! THAT'S IT!!! IM BUYING TITAN QUEST!!! GOD DAMN YOU STEAM!! DAMN!! YOU!!! BUYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!~!!!!!!

graywolf323

Tenks said:
Hopefully Steam honors the $55 price I paid for the deluxe edition.

looks like they, are first I was worried since I added it to my cart but it didn't grey out the buy it for yourself button

but then when I went to "buy" the game it said problem checking out you already own one of the games in your cart

then I realized the same holds true for any of the pre-purchase games, Borderlands did the same thing in my cart

so the odds are pretty damn good :D

Firestorm

Javaman said:
No word on the THQ weekend deal yet?
Yeah, I've been hoping for a good Steam price on STALKER or 50%+ off on Red Faction Guerilla.

Also, is anyone else really bad with making decisions even when not drunk at night? I bought Civ4 at like 1AM and wasn't really thinking. Wonder if I'll even play it. It's too damn easy on Steam. Why oh why did I save my credit card info on there x.x

Firestorm said:
Yeah, I've been hoping for a good Steam price on STALKER or 50%+ off on Red Faction Guerilla.

Also, is anyone else really bad with making decisions even when not drunk at night? I bought Civ4 at like 1AM and wasn't really thinking. Wonder if I'll even play it. It's too damn easy on Steam. Why oh why did I save my credit card info on there x.x

Oh yes. I bought the big 2K Games pack when it was on sale, I've not even played half the games in it and the ones I have I haven't played much of. Steam is EVIL.

Mrbob

I think you guys should be good to go for the $54.99 deluxe DAO on steam....this is one of the benefits of getting the payment taken out right away in case of a pricing mistake. The transaction is already done. Although it does irk me a little that all preorders get charged and paid for at the time of transaction versus when the product is available. Look at the guys who already paid for Alpha Protocol on steam and now its delayed till next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom