• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

GHG

Gold Member
Blizzard said:
Are we SURE there's no SecuROM? Didn't Bioshock have an extra DRM? >_____>

Through steam? Not that I was aware of. I know they removed all the bagage from the trackmania games on the steam releases.

Mrbob

It would be nice if we find out how well Warhead sells on steam. Just to compare vs boxed set sales. Of course Valve and EA will never tell us.

saelz8 said:
USA too, nice.

I really liked the demo when I played it a while back, gave me the impression it was a fairly underrated game.
It's a good game. The story is absolutely predictable but the play mechanics are solid and the gfx are actually pretty good, allthough showing some of source's shortcomings.

Thomper

saelz8 said:
USA too, nice.

I really liked the demo when I played it a while back, gave me the impression it was a fairly underrated game.
The former Dutch minister of finance, Gerrit Zalm, has said on multiple interviews that he has two big hobbies: collecting stamps, and playing this game. He even played the game quite obsesively at work, in his office, and then stayed up late at home to finish the work he should have been doing. That's quite an endorsement. ;)

Vaporak

saelz8 said:
USA too, nice.

Really? I just tried to buy it after dling the demo on steam and steam is telling me the game isn't available in my region (USA). :(

Thomper said:
The former Dutch minister of finance, Gerrit Zalm, has said on multiple interviews that he has two big hobbies: collecting stamps, and playing this game. He even played the game quite obsesively at work, in his office, and then stayed up late at home to finish the work he should have been doing. That's quite an endorsement. ;)
Ahaha, yeah, I can remember this :lol Is there still any video of this floating around the internet?

Struct09 said:
BioShock on Steam was still "protected" by SecuROM.

Didn't they remove the extra DRM after the big uproar?
After that i thought Valve had said that they would not put any more games up with secondary DRM outside of what Steam already offers?!

Ivy Mike

Neo Member
Has there been any mention of Neverwinter Nights games coming to steam since first announced in March? I figure with Witcher finally coming, maybe we'll see the NWN games soon...

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I don't know if this has been posted already, but if you pre-order Multiwinia you get Darwinia for free. So if you were sitting on the fence when Darwinia came out now is the time to buy.

Vaporak

Kamakazie! said:
Didn't they remove the extra DRM after the big uproar?
After that i thought Valve had said that they would not put any more games up with secondary DRM outside of what Steam already offers?!

Bioshock still has SecureROM if you buy it through STEAM and it hasn't been removed from any version of the game as far as I am aware. IIRC the installation limits have been removed by 2K, which might be what you're thinking of.

Volcynika

Illuminati said:
No weekend deal? Is Valve crazy? Don't they want my money?

:lol I've been waiting on it for an hour or so. The last one went up about 2 hours ago last Friday. I'm ready to make a thread about it!

Volcynika

Thomper said:
50% off Half-Life 2: Episode 1. Meh. I think nearly everyone that has Steam probably already has the game.

Yeah, I made a thread, but I'm sure only a verrrrrrrrrry small percent of people don't have this already.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
5 Mod's were just added to the supported games list, which means downloads and update support directly from Steam. I recommend checking out Zombie Panic for the closest experience your going to get to Left 4 Dead before November.

Wark

Thomper said:
50% off Half-Life 2: Episode 1. Meh. I think nearly everyone that has Steam probably already has the game.

Yeah, I already have HL2:E1. Man, I was looking forward to another pack deal this weekend. I guess the id and Rockstar packs really spoiled me. :lol

Oh well, atleast my credit card can relax for the weekend.

fallout

Thomper said:
They're celebrating the release of Source mods on Steam and it's the cheapest way to get the Source SDK. Kind of lame, but you can basically say to someone: "Pay 5 bucks and look at all these games you can play."

Wark

fallout said:
They're celebrating the release of Source mods on Steam and it's the cheapest way to get the Source SDK. Kind of lame, but you can basically say to someone: "Pay 5 bucks and look at all these games you can play."

That makes sense, I guess. I'm gonna have to try out those mods when I get time. Anybody suggest one to play first?

mandiller

Wark said:
That makes sense, I guess. I'm gonna have to try out those mods when I get time. Anybody suggest one to play first?

Insurgency is awesome :)

I wish they'd add Dystopia as well, that's my favourite source mod.

madmook

Come on motherfuckers I'm waiting for a sale on a Ubisoft mega-package with all the Ghost Recons and Rainbow Sixes. ALL of them.

Wark

mandiller said:
Insurgency is awesome :)

I wish they'd add Dystopia as well, that's my favourite source mod.

I just tried Zombie Panic Source and absolutely loved it. Just playing it makes me want Left 4 Dead even more.

I'm gonna have to try Insurgency next.

Slavik81

Is there a way to remove the mods from my games list?
I didn't ask for them there and I don't want to play most of them. I really don't need any more clutter.

Slavik81 said:
Is there a way to remove the mods from my games list?
I didn't ask for them there and I don't want to play most of them. I really don't need any more clutter.

No, there doesn't seem a way to remove them, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Valve fix the problem soon. This sort of thing happened a few years ago with the PopCap demos and, after enough people complained on the forums, Valve fixed it.

Blizzard

Banned
crimsonheadGCN said:
No, there doesn't seem a way to remove them, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Valve fix the problem soon. This sort of thing happened a few years ago with the PopCap demos and, after enough people complained on the forums, Valve fixed it.

It seems to me it would be ideal to include a "mods" category, or maybe even an installed/uninstalled mods category. Or maybe that's overly complex?

Slavik81

Blizzard said:
It seems to me it would be ideal to include a "mods" category, or maybe even an installed/uninstalled mods category. Or maybe that's overly complex?
That would be nice. Put it on the same page as the dedicated servers.

Twig

Banned
I also want the ability to make my own categories. I now have too many games for just a favorites/non-favorites bisection sort of thing.

Hopefully if they ever add such a thing, it's stored on server-side so I don't have to do it every time I reinstall Steam or get a new computer or whatever. Obviously getting a computer doesn't happen often, but it'd still be nice.

At any rate: MODS HOSTED BY VALVE F YEAH. Something I've been wanting for a loooong time. Now as soon as Steam Cloud hits, my Steam wish list is complete.

DrXym

Struct09 said:
BioShock on Steam was still "protected" by SecuROM.

Valve have to stamp on this. Steam has enough restrictions without allowing games to inflict their own on top.

Zzoram

fallout said:

Ya, cheap way to access tons of Source mods. It's kind of smart really, since it might get people into Half-Life 2.

Zzoram

DrXym said:
Valve have to stamp on this. Steam has enough restrictions without allowing games to inflict their own on top.

EA wouldn't put their games on Steam otherwise, and Vavle needs to get EA on board because it'll mean there aren't any remaining major Western publishers holding out. This will only help to convince everyone left that Steam is the way to go.

I'm just wondering why Bethesda's stuff isn't on Steam, considering that 2K is their publisher, and 2K has tons of stuff on Steam.

Sibylus

Banned
So I downloaded the new Steam versions of Synergy and Zombie Panic, and neither seem to cooperate very well with my computer. The game will freeze at random clicks when I navigate through menus, and it also freezes when I attempt to join/host a game. I tinkered briefly with the "mounted games" menu, going as low as only mounting HL2, but that hasn't fixed anything.

This is all very strange, especially since I had both of these mods working fine before Valve hosted them on Steam. Any ideas?

Xapati

Zzoram said:
EA wouldn't put their games on Steam otherwise, and Vavle needs to get EA on board because it'll mean there aren't any remaining major Western publishers holding out. This will only help to convince everyone left that Steam is the way to go.

I'm just wondering why Bethesda's stuff isn't on Steam, considering that 2K is their publisher, and 2K has tons of stuff on Steam.

Bioshock is not an EA game. As far as I know, EA has there only DD service so you won't see them on Steam.

Javaman

madmook said:
Come on motherfuckers I'm waiting for a sale on a Ubisoft mega-package with all the Ghost Recons and Rainbow Sixes. ALL of them.

I'm dissapointed that they hadn't had a weekend deal or dropped the price of the Call of Duty collection. $40 for COD 1 and 2 and the expansion pack. :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol Who are they trying to fool.

MNC

So Synergy is the orange box version now, right? Is it any good? Original was great, but was... overloaded with custom content. I heard they removed that?

Lhadatt

MNC said:
So Synergy is the orange box version now, right? Is it any good? Original was great, but was... overloaded with custom content. I heard they removed that?
steam said:
This game requires that you own a Source engine game such as Counter-Strike: Source, Half-Life 2, or Day of Defeat: Source. Click here for a full list of games that meet this requirement.
Nope. This is the original Source engine version, not Source 2007 (Orange Box engine).

Hinterland is strangely addictive. Light Diablo mixed with light civ with everything randomized is quite funny, very simple but still funny.

Played 2 games, one short and one medium. Gets kind of repetitive after a while but as the difficulty increases you see some variations on the usual gameplay(need to buff up and take more followers to take down enemy forts and so on).

Recommended!

Xapati

TheOneGuy said:
SiN Episodes was also published by EA.

I think.

It was, that's why I said pretty much; but that one doesn't really count as it was planned from the start to be on Steam. I'm thinking more along the lines of Spore etc.

MNC

Lhadatt said:
Nope. This is the original Source engine version, not Source 2007 (Orange Box engine).
Well, with orange box version I meant it's the version that makes us play through Episode Two. (Though that post still answers my question semi) So this is not that version? According to their site it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom