• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Javaman said:
The price is right but is it any good?
Yep, but beware: This is not a game for the casual FPS player. If you expect to be a badass and just aim loosely in the enemies direction to score frags don't buy. It has a steep learning curve and you'll die lots. It's very rewarding though.

Gfx aren't too good, but what would you expect on such a dated engine?

Sibylus

Banned
Phife Dawg said:
Yep, but beware: This is not a game for the casual FPS player. If you expect to be a badass and just aim loosely in the enemies direction to score frags don't buy. It has a steep learning curve and you'll die lots. It's very rewarding though.

Gfx aren't too good, but what would you expect on such a dated engine?
This. You feel pretty awesome when you start picking people off with the bolt-actions, connecting bayonet swings, landing the killing shot to enemy tanks, etc.

Thomper

Seems Far Cry 2 is now available to Europeans on Steam - does this mean more UbiSoft games for Europe in the future? That'd be awesome. Now if only EA would add their backcatalogue too, and Steam's catalogue would be more or less complete.

Fallout 3 can also be pre-ordered on Steam now, btw.

RJT

Thomper said:
Seems Far Cry 2 is now available to Europeans on Steam - does this mean more UbiSoft games for Europe in the future? That'd be awesome.
Came here to say this. Good stuff! Hopefully the old Splinter Cell and Rainbow 6 games will be available in Europe too. And, to celebrate, let Steam make it a weekend deal! :D

EDIT: Actually, now that I talk about it, this basically confirms that Ubi wasn't selling their games to Europe because of some distribution deal or other contractual obligation. If so, their back catalog can never show up...

Rlan

They are selling FarCry2 in Australia as well, for $54.99. Certainly cheaper that retail, which is great, but still a tad extra expensive compared to other titles on Steam.

They will also be selling Fallout 3 once it releases here in Australia on October 31st, but for $69.99, what I would assume is very close to the retail price for the game on PC in Australia. Which sucks. It's not as bad of COD4 (The went $88.50, near the same as retail, which itself is a shitty deal compared to me buying the Orange Box for $45 on Steam) but it's at least decent.

PS. Buy The Ship For $4.99 so I can find some damn games :lol

Dreavus

Darwinia + Multiwinia on Steam for $9.99 (just for the weekend, it looks like).

Hadn't heard much about either game, but the art style managed to intrigued me. Needless to say, the tutorial mission of Darwinia ended up being a little bit on the dull side, but I'm hoping it'll get better once I get to the actual game. And I have yet to jump into a Multiwinia game online.

Not a bad deal either way, though. :D

Lince

Banned
Far Cry 2 Steam version for 60 euros in Spain... I think they've gone mad here, you can buy a physical copy with a limited edition tin case for 49,95...

Wark

Dreavus said:
Darwinia + Multiwinia on Steam for $9.99 (just for the weekend, it looks like).

Hadn't heard much about either game, but the art style managed to intrigued me. Needless to say, the tutorial mission of Darwinia ended up being a little bit on the dull side, but I'm hoping it'll get better once I get to the actual game. And I have yet to jump into a Multiwinia game online.

Not a bad deal either way, though. :D

Makes me glad I didn't buy Multiwinia last week. :lol I'm definitely gonna buy the game today then.

RJT

Lince said:
Far Cry 2 Steam version for 60 euros in Spain... I think they've gone mad here, you can buy a physical copy with a limited edition tin case for 49,95...
The dollar has been climbing a lot in the last month. Makes Steam less enjoyable...

jasonng said:
There's another weekend deal for The Ship package ($4.99). I'm interested in getting it, anyone have impressions?

I have it, and it's a lot of fun when there are actual people playing. It might sound like a limited premise (find your quarry and kill him without getting caught) but there are enough weapons and obstacles to make it pretty varied.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
jasonng said:
There's another weekend deal for The Ship package ($4.99). I'm interested in getting it, anyone have impressions?

PM me your Steam email address. I'll give you a guest pass.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Pound to Dollar is 1.58 at the moment so I can often get games allot cheaper at retail.

Added you Che, I'm gonna dig through the Steam Friends list and add some more GAF people, I want my damn 10 friends TF2 acheivment when I start playing again :lol Also more people = more chance of full L4D versus games as all not all my current friends are getting it.

Oreoleo

The Ship is awesome. For $5 you'd be hard-pressed to find a better value. Played for an hour last night and got invited to two Ship Steam Community groups so I don't think finding people to play with will be all that difficult.

Also have a guest pass for anyone interested. PM me the email you use for Steam if you want it.

Twig

Banned
I've always really wanted to play The Ship, but I just don't know. I'm so short on time and money. And yes I know it's only $5! Hence the dilemma. ):

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Wark said:
Makes me glad I didn't buy Multiwinia last week. :lol I'm definitely gonna buy the game today then.
I pre-ordered it for $19.99 when they threw in Darwinia. Now you can get the package for $9.99.

What is the normal price for The Ship? Does it have multiplayer? It sounds familiar, for some reason.

Thomper

SapientWolf said:
I pre-ordered it for $19.99 when they threw in Darwinia. Now you can get the package for $9.99.

What is the normal price for The Ship? Does it have multiplayer? It sounds familiar, for some reason.
The Ship is 75% off, so it used to be $20. Once again, if anybody would like to try, I could send them a guest pass.

Twig

Banned
SapientWolf said:
Normal price is, as mentioned, $20.

Basically, in the game everyone is given a target to kill. Nobody has the same target. It takes place on a ship! (Well, I assume there are maps that are not on a SHIP, but for simplicity's sake...)

There are other rules, etc. I don't remember them.

It's supposed to be really fun if you get a group of good people.

Hm, always loved the Ship's premise while knowing that I'd never really have time to get into it, but for $5, I can't resist. Even if I barely touch it I'll at least know I supported great creative game design. Also, anyone on here feel free to add me (Steam ID=MaritalWheat). I could use some PC amigos, especially for Left 4 Dead--all my loser real-life buds are console wimps!

BioHazard

Anyone up for some Ship MP? (or any other games for that matter) More people need to play this, I can assure you it is worth the 5 bucks. SteamID: BioHazard54.

jasonng

Thanks again McBacon for the guest pass. I'm going to get the game later tonight for sure.

For 5 bucks, I can't pass. However for me, the game isn't fun when people AREN'T talking and the majority of the games I've been in is either the case or the game is filled with people only typing one word profanities. I'll be adding anyone who has The Ship. I can clearly see that this game is heaps of fun with a regular group.

Davidion

TheOneGuy said:
I've always really wanted to play The Ship, but I just don't know. I'm so short on time and money. And yes I know it's only $5! Hence the dilemma. ):

Hey Twig, I bought the game. Let me know if you'd like a guest pass.

Orellio, I might join you on your ventures, how good are you at the game? I'm still having trouble with the single-player. :lol

A GAF group seems like a good idea.

Twig

Banned
fallout said:
Actually, I think I told you to, then you declined, I backed down and then you bought it.
I suspect

fowlplay_box628.jpg

Mr.City

Steam tag is MrCity. I'm not on too much, but I probably will near late November, early December. Any news on if Steam will be doing another holiday sale this year?

fallout

Mr.City said:
Steam tag is MrCity. I'm not on too much, but I probably will near late November, early December. Any news on if Steam will be doing another holiday sale this year?
It kind of came out of nowhere last year. I remember Twig (TheOneguy) sending me multiple PMs showing me the amazing deals. That was probably the beginning of our horrible Steam-pressure-buy-relationship.

Twig

Banned
fallout said:
It kind of came out of nowhere last year. I remember Twig (TheOneguy) sending me multiple PMs showing me the amazing deals. That was probably the beginning of our horrible Steam-pressure-buy-relationship.
You know what game you're getting if there's a sale this year. You know.

(God I hope there's a sale like that again. It was so amazing.)

Doytch

Mr.City said:

I'd pee myself in excitement. I'm holding off on Far Cry 2, Fallout 3, Civ: Col in the hopes they have a sale. :D

Mr.City

Heh, I was actually banking on Valve doing that again. I hoping that sales were high enough for them to consider doing it again. I going to $75 banked from rebates from Newegg, and that would be able to get quite a few games.

legend166

Just something I thought about today. I remember CoD4 being 88USD here in Australia when it released, because Activision are complete wankers. I thought "Hmm, wonder if they've lowered the price now our dollar has been hammered?"

Of course, I don't even know why I'd begin to think they'd change it. Still at 88USD. That's $130 Australian dollars.

Screw Activision. I'd boycott if Guitar Hero wasn't coming out next week, haha.

sk3tch

So the release of COD5 is less than 10 days away and I haven't found any announcement about whether or not it will be available via Steam...will it be a late release like COD4? I have a LAN party on the 15th and I would love to have COD5 from Steam by then!!!

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
http://store.steampowered.com/news/1968/

Steam cloud coming this week.

Edit: Seems someone posted it in the L4d Thread, damn nation.

Leading Online Platform for PC Games Extends Portability

November 3, 2008 - Valve, creators of best-selling entertainment products and advanced technologies, today announced the roll out of Steam Cloud, a set of services for Steam that stores application data online and allows user experiences to be consistent from any PC. Steam Cloud is a free extension to Steam, a leading a platform for PC games with over 15 million accounts worldwide.

Steam Cloud support will ship with Valve's Left 4 Dead demo later this week and the full game on November 18. In this first release, the information stored and accessible through the Steam Cloud includes keyboard, mouse, and gamepad configurations, as well as multiplayer settings such as spraypaint images.

The Steam Cloud will "just work," meaning any user changes to their game options will propagate to the Cloud by default. Upon logging into Steam from another PC, these settings will be brought down from the Cloud and automatically leveraged by the game. Any configuration changes on this second machine are then synced to the Cloud for future sessions.

Steam Cloud will be available to all publishers and developers using Steam, free of charge, and Valve will add Cloud support to its back catalog of Steam games. Cloud services are compatible with games purchased via Steam, at retail, and other digital outlets.

"For some time now, Steam has allowed gamers to log on from any computer in the world and access their applications. This also makes it easy to upgrade a PC without worrying about losing your games," said Gabe Newell, president and co-founder of Valve. "Steam Cloud is a natural extension of the portability Steam affords gamers and developers, and we intend to expand its feature set as it is used in Left 4 Dead and other games coming to Steam."

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Once again steam unloads a bomb of awesome in our faces. Can't wait to see where steam cloud goes.

(Where its going: think Quake Live, Battlefield Heroes, Instant Action.com)

Thomper

M3wThr33 said:
:( Only L4D and only the keyboard settings.

I wanted GAME SAVES. For Trackmania!
Yes! Keyboard settings are a start, but I want game saves for every game on Steam. If that happens, Valve can have all of my money for every single future Steam-release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom