• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I reading this part wrong or is this going to work on games I don't even have on my Steam account (which isn't many anyways, but still):

Cloud services are compatible with games purchased via Steam, at retail, and other digital outlets.

Netrunner2k2 said:
Am I reading this part wrong or is this going to work on games I don't even have on my Steam account (which isn't many anyways, but still):
That's correct, but it's up to the developer to implement it. Valve is trying to help PC gaming by giving away free services. Not a bad strategy since this makes the PC more user friendly... and promotes Steam in the process.

MNC

Awesome, spraypaint.

You know what would be totally fucking awesome if it was supported with Steam Cloud?

The Gmod addons folder.

:)

thaivo

Maybe I'm a little paranoid, but does anyone else worry about Valve closing shop and all the software you've purchased on Steam is no longer able to run. Yes, I know Valve is one of the more successful PC gaming companies out there.

Don't get me wrong, the flexibility of Steam is wonderful and I really like the idea of migrating games to future computer systems... but in the back of my head, is the idea that Steam might close someday.

I saw this after having bout +20 Wii VC and Wiiware games.. but those work without requiring a network connection and verification.

thaivo said:
Maybe I'm a little paranoid, but does anyone else worry about Valve closing shop and all the software you've purchased on Steam is no longer able to run. Yes, I know Valve is one of the more successful PC gaming companies out there.

Don't get me wrong, the flexibility of Steam is wonderful and I really like the idea of migrating games to future computer systems... but in the back of my head, is the idea that Steam might close someday.

I saw this after having bout +20 Wii VC and Wiiware games.. but those work without requiring a network connection and verification.

You'd have to be very paranoid about Valve closing shop. They'd be purchased before that ever happened. Knowing Valve, they'd let users download a patch or something to let them play their games burned to a CD/DVD (which you can do in Steam) without needing online validation.

Valve and Steam is going nowhere, though.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
thaivo said:

Im pretty sure valve has said time and time again that if steam goes under, they will release a patch/app that will remove the need to have steam running for your games to work.

No need to feel paranoid.

Slavik81

thaivo said:
As does Steam. You only need to verify once.

thaivo

It's all good then... :D

Slavik81 said:
As does Steam. You only need to verify once.
That's also good to hear. I was under the impression that you needed a network connection to have the games run at any time. Good to be wrong.

dLMN8R

thaivo said:
It's all good then... :D

That's also good to hear. I was under the impression that you needed a network connection to have the games run at any time. Good to be wrong.
Yep, Steam has had an offline mode since it came out 5 years ago

Twig

Banned
dLMN8R said:
Yep, Steam has had an offline mode since it came out 5 years ago
To be fair it was pretty damn buggy originally.

But then so was Steam in general.

I haven't had a problem with offline mode for ages.

Blizzard

Banned
I've seen two Steam updates recently...yet they STILL haven't fixed the Team Fortress 2 issue that makes HL2.exe crash every single time I exit? (Vista 64-bit)

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Blizzard said:
I've seen two Steam updates recently...yet they STILL haven't fixed the Team Fortress 2 issue that makes HL2.exe crash every single time I exit? (Vista 64-bit)

Thats normal. Has been happening for agggeeessssss. Doubt it will ever get fixed :lol

Twig

Banned
Wark said:
I'm tempted. I was either gonna buy this for 360 or Steam, but I think this sealed the deal for me.
I'm pretty sure they're significantly different on either platform.

I never bought 360 Eets, though, so I could be completely wrong. Only basing it on the demo.

Fio

I'm very tempted to buy Hinterland, but they don't offer a demo and I'm short on money, so I'm not sure about the game. Has anyone here played it? Is it any good?

Ah, one more question: Is there a way to make Steam uses the Opera rendering engine intead of the IE's?

Thanks.

Fio said:
I'm very tempted to buy Hinterland, but they don't offer a demo and I'm short on money, so I'm not sure about the game. Has anyone here played it? Is it any good?

I like it, and think it's a pretty good game-I played through two games this weekend. Only downer is that replayability is not as high as I would come to expect from this sort of roguelike game, mainly due to how streamlined everything feels. The game design in general could use a bit more heft. I will disclose that I am a big fan of Tilted Mill's games and a fan of the sort of game that Hinterland is, so I sort of come predisposed to liking it.

I don't regret the $20 I spent on it. But if I was contrast it with with some of the other games out there and was on a limited budget, I might skip it over. Tough call.

Thomper

sk3tch said:
We knew it was coming...but nice that there is confirmation that Call of Duty: World at War is coming to Steam!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/10090/

It just says November '08. Here's hoping that means today or tomorrow. I'd love to have it for a LAN party tomorrow...
It's been listed for a few days. They don't usually release games during the weekends, so if it's not released today you'll have to wait some more.

RJT said:
Overlord 10$

Totally worth it. Gets a bit repetitive near the end, is probably 3 hours too long, but it's a very novel idea and good implementation. Loved it on the 360. For 10 bucks it's a steal.

derder

How long do I have to preorder L4D at the discounted rate?

I preordered it on amazon at 36.99 and I want to wait until tomorrow to see if its going to get here by thursday (now it says 11/24).

Fio

New Orange Box Price: $29,99

Fragamemnon said:
I like it, and think it's a pretty good game-I played through two games this weekend. Only downer is that replayability is not as high as I would come to expect from this sort of roguelike game, mainly due to how streamlined everything feels. The game design in general could use a bit more heft. I will disclose that I am a big fan of Tilted Mill's games and a fan of the sort of game that Hinterland is, so I sort of come predisposed to liking it.

I don't regret the $20 I spent on it. But if I was contrast it with with some of the other games out there and was on a limited budget, I might skip it over. Tough call.

Thanks. I'll try it out when it gets cheaper.

Fio

Just a heads up:

Buy Left 4 Dead - Four Pack - $149.99
Includes four copies of Left 4 Dead - Send the extra copies to your friends

Since the regular price is $49.99, each one saves $12.50!

<3 Valve

sk3tch

Thomper said:
It's been listed for a few days.

So not true, my friend! I was checking Steam religiously and even had an "insider" friend digging up info to confirm that it was coming. It was only added to Steam on Thursday of last week at the very earliest.

Garcia

Buying Audiosurf was a steal, I still feel a little remorse :lol . I'm glad I did since I didn't know of Steam before and they have amazing, incredible deals.

Fox318

Fio said:
Just a heads up:

Buy Left 4 Dead - Four Pack - $149.99
Includes four copies of Left 4 Dead - Send the extra copies to your friends

Since the regular price is $49.99, each one saves $12.50!

<3 Valve
Clever deal!

Use the money to rent a server.

Vormund

evlcookie said:
Im pretty sure valve has said time and time again that if steam goes under, they will release a patch/app that will remove the need to have steam running for your games to work.

No need to feel paranoid.

That and there's probably cracks to play the games floating around anyway. (I haven't looked obviously)

GTA IV is coming to Steam Dec. 2nd 2008. (at least for NA).

http://store.steampowered.com/app/12210/

* New high resolution technology brings Liberty City to life with even more stunning graphical detail
* Expanded multiplayer will require even more strategy and skill to come out on top
* Custom Match allows you to pick your favorite multiplayer options and then instantly find online matches that fit
* Record gameplay clips and edit them together with a variety of options using the Video Editor and upload via the Rockstar Social Club
* Optimized for PC controls and Xbox 360 controller

System Requirements

o OS: Windows Vista - Service Pack 1 / Windows XP - Service Pack 3
o Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8GHz, AMD Athlon X2 64 2.4GHz
o Memory: 1.5GB Vista / 1GB XP
o Graphics: 256MB Nvidia 7900 / 256MB ATI X1900
o DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c Compliant Card
o Hard Drive: 16GB of Hard Disc Space
o Sound Card: <5.1 Channel Audio Card /li>

senahorse

Remy said:
In case anyone doesn't own the original Half-Life, there's a 10th Anniversary sale.

Still have my original copy (with an ad for a Kings Quest game on the back of the jewel case :lol ) but was ordering a copy of Tomb Raider: Underworld and thought what the hell. So for US $40.97 I got the original HL, Tomb Raider: Underworld and Tomb Raider: Legend (comes free with preorder), another Steam bargain :D

fresquito

I've just purchased Half-Life. I've never had played it, and was always thinking about getting the Source version. However never made the last step because there were always other priorities in the list. But at this price I couldn't say no.

I've been playing for a while and have been having lots of fun, despite the outdated graphics and the sometimes sluggish controls (platforming is a pain in the ass. Platforming in the water makes me want to puke)..

Volcynika

Weekend deal = Sam and Max Season One for $14.99

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=342894

Also:

The upcoming Prince of Persia is now available for pre-purchase via Steam in North, Central, and South America. Pre-purchase now and get Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time for free right now!

For the best deal, pick up the Prince of Persia Pack and get all four of the Prince of Persia games for one low price. But hurry, you'll want all the time you can get to play through Sands of Time, The Two Thrones, and Warrior Within before Prince of Persia releases on December 10th.

I hope a lot of GAF is picking up GTA IV on Steam. Be great to have some games together but I have a feeling nobody will pull themselves away from Left4Dead to play.

It's available outside NA at $40 and comes with Vice City. The Rockstar Pack is still listed at $60- no idea if they'll add GTA IV to it, if they do I'll be kicking myself. Any word on the Microsoft exclusive DLC coming to PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom