• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
fallout said:
They had the big holiday deal thing last year around Christmas. Might happen again this year.

Ah, it was christmas? I couldn't remember if it was black friday or christmas where pretty much every game was on sale. Is it the complete thq pack worth it for $100?

Mrbob

Yeah I would say the package is worth 100 dollars.

If you add on the Relic pack, soulstorm, titan quest weekend sale, and stalker it comes out to around 100 bucks and you get many more games.

But I'm going to hold out and see if the THQ pack goes on sale down the road. ID put their pack half off, perhaps THQ will do the same eventually!

Two things:
1) World in Conflict is now on Steam. I am interested. I love Company of Heroes. I hear this is somewhat lamer. Someone please confirm/deny this statement. Is it worth buying? How's the single player, since I doubt I'll get too involved in its MP?
2) I have a Ship guest pass if anyone's interested. Edit: gone!

Tokubetsu

MaritalWheat said:
Two things:
1) World in Conflict is now on Steam. I am interested. I love Company of Heroes. I hear this is somewhat lamer. Someone please confirm/deny this statement. Is it worth buying? How's the single player, since I doubt I'll get too involved in its MP?
2) I have a Ship guest pass if anyone's interested.

WiC is great but nothing like CoH. It's a lot more accessible (IMO but not in the bad way, I love CoH too) and focuses more on actual combat tactics rather than resources and overall strategy (though this sort of comes into play in mp and what point to cap first etc). Get it.

czartim said:
I think WiC is fun for a few hours, but I didn't see enough depth to choose it over CoH.
Well I definitely wouldn't switch from CoH MP, I think the only chance of that would come from another Relic production. WiC's campaign is what I'd mostly be interested in, and from what I gather its alright, so I'll probably pick this up down the road (hopefully Steam has a Christmas sale!). Thanks for the impressons though guys.

dLMN8R

World in Conflict is well worth the $30. Great single-player campaign, and pretty entertaining multiplayer too. It's nothing at all like Company of Heroes or any other RTS - there's no base building or resource management, it's all about calling in reinforcements, using your units well, and building up to huge nuclear bombs and the like.

But anyway, it has ALEC BALDWIN so your mind should already be made up :lol

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
MaritalWheat said:
Two things:
2) I have a Ship guest pass if anyone's interested. Edit: gone!
You'd be missing out. It's sort of like a cross between Mercenaries and Myth. Multiplayer can be described as easy to pick up, explosion filled, team focused, fast paced mayhem that still manages to be every bit as deep as the more traditional RTS titles.

My only gripe is that the community is way too small and insular. Online multi is not n00b friendly at all. But you could probably make that argument about any PC RTS.

Oh Nooooooo.

Steam has some european currency beta running. I don't want this to become standard any time soon. I just enabled it for some seconds.

Tomb Raider Underworld: 44.99$ <-> 39.99€ (that's ok, but I know in the american store its only 39.99$)
World of Goo: 19.99$ <-> 19.99€
Empires Total War: 44.99$ <-> 49.99€ (WTF?)

I know they already change prices here in Europe but this is too much.

Thomper

Gah. The weak dollar made Steam really awesome. I don't want them to implement euro's, especially if they're going for a 1:1 conversion. Stuff like Left 4 Dead is just changed from 50 dollars to 50 euro's, though 50 euro's is closer to 70 dollars. Humbug.

TheExodu5

Banned
Picked up Defense Grid. Will give it a go when I'm back from work tonight.

Also picked up WiC...seems solid, but I need to get a grasp concerning strategy in this game before I make an informed decision on how much I like it. The multiplayer interface seems incredibly good.

I'm tempted to check out X3. If I liked Freelancer, will I like X3? Which X3 is better? Was also curious about Silent Hunter (III or IV), and IL-2 Sturmovik. Haven't really played any sim games, so I was thinking of checking something out.

TheExodu5 said:
I'm tempted to check out X3. If I liked Freelancer, will I like X3? Which X3 is better?
I love Freelancer but the X-series doesn't click for me. I tried X2 some years ago and it wasn't even compareable to freelancer. Perhaps you can find Darkstar One for cheap. This was more freelancer than any other SciFi "shooter" I played so far.

Xzior

Thomper said:
Gah. The weak dollar made Steam really awesome. I don't want them to implement euro's, especially if they're going for a 1:1 conversion. Stuff like Left 4 Dead is just changed from 50 dollars to 50 euro's, though 50 euro's is closer to 70 dollars. Humbug.
I really hope that won't be the case, but sadly it probably will be... Nintendo is already doing that with Wii Points.

Yay, for euroland being shafted yet again.

Xzior said:
I really hope that won't be the case, but sadly it probably will be... Nintendo is already doing that with Wii Points.

1:1 is more acceptable than my example with Empires where we have to pay 5€ more than 1:1 at least.

Xzior

Caesar III said:
1:1 is more acceptable than my example with Empires where we have to pay 5€ more than 1:1 at least.
Sure, it's more acceptable, but it still sucks donkey balls...

Xzior said:

Unless it's been changed recently, euroland may be getting the shaft but britland is in heaven. Many titles are a good 15-20 pounds under the converted US price. I doubt this will last long, though, if it's even still up.

bee

yep its way cheaper now in the UK except empire total war, even cod4 is £29.99 down from £50 ish, good stuff i might actually start buying stuff on there now

Sanjay

bee said:
yep its way cheaper now in the UK except empire total war, even cod4 is £29.99 down from £50 ish, good stuff i might actually start buying stuff on there now

Still not cheaper then UK retail prices.

bee

Sanjay said:
Still not cheaper then UK retail prices.

no, but i never expected them to beat UK retail as its actually significantly cheaper than US retail, £26.99 seems ok to me though

Rufus

bee said:
i've bought very little on steam and even i get "You own 34 Steam Games worth ~ $403.72"
I don't want to know what you didn't buy on Steam if 34 games are 'very little'. Actually, I do want to know.

bdouble

You own 74 Steam Games worth ~ $884.33

ehh not very accurate. I mean I did buy the HL2 silver pack, ID pack (at half price) and a bunch of other games in packs so they were discounted.

Volcynika

bdouble said:
You own 74 Steam Games worth ~ $884.33

ehh not very accurate. I mean I did buy the HL2 silver pack, ID pack (at half price) and a bunch of other games in packs so they were discounted.

Yeah, I don't think it factors in deals, just current prices.

duffey

"You own 70 Steam Games worth ~ $863.39"

Awesome. Also, not used to a weekend without a weekend deal from Steam. Kind of a weird feeling!

Doytch

27 @ $414.77

For some reason it doesn't count either instance of Jagged Alliance 2 Gold. Thankfully I didn't even have to spend that $400. The "cost" of Disciples II Gold for instance is $40 on that website, but I got that and JA2 for $5.

Volcynika

duffey said:
"You own 70 Steam Games worth ~ $863.39"

Awesome. Also, not used to a weekend without a weekend deal from Steam. Kind of a weird feeling!

Yeah, I've been waiting to make the thread, but by this point, I'm losing interest quickly.

Volcynika

Weekend Deal: Team Fortress 2 for half off. ($9.99)

............I waited for this? Someone else can make a thread for that if they want, ugh.

Scipius

I'm kind of ambivalent about the non-USD pricing as well. On the one hand it is great to finally have full transparency on what you're paying, but on the other hand the prices are the same as or slightly above the prices in retail. Some retail stores will take 5€ from the regular price, so Steam would still be at a disadvantage.

I like how VAT is already included in the listed price though, as it should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom