• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boonoo said:
Works for me, I love dust2! I always head for the catwalk no matter which team I'm on. It's the same as the CS1.6 dust2 right? I haven't played source before.

Basically the same. It's the same layout, but the whole level was made bigger to accommodate for 32v32 player games.

Doytch

MoFuzz said:
Neither of those hold a candle to the rage reboot. You know, repeatedly hitting the reset button on the tower?

Ooh, or how about the rage reformat. Where only an OS install will cleanse the ashes left in the wake of your fury.

Not that I've ever done anything of the sort.
I can almost imagine someone's Cheeto-encrusted fingers fumbling around for their burned CD with Paragon Partition Manager scrawled onto it with a fat black Sharpie.

Volodja

kpeezy said:
mIRC + CS is really the only way to play.
Basically this or just knowing quite a bit of active players so that you can always gather, one way or another, 10 players in teamspeak, ventrilo, mumble, whatever.

Javaman

Volodja said:
Basically this or just knowing quite a bit of active players so that you can always gather, one way or another, 10 players in teamspeak, ventrilo, mumble, whatever.

Does the ingame voice work well? If it's anything like Tf2's those others may not be needed.

kpeezy

Banned
Javaman said:
Does the ingame voice work well? If it's anything like Tf2's those others may not be needed.

It works well but you can't talk to living players while you are dead. It's really important to be able to tell your team how you died, how many people you saw/heard, etc so Ventrilo is important.

edit: I'm mostly talking about during scrimmages. If you just want to play in a public server then in-game voice is fine.

Leunam said:
So what makes CS 1.6 so popular? I'm assuming CS has been updated since then right?

It's has the best competitive scene I've ever been involved in. The only thing I can think of that would beat it is Starcraft.

There are a few new games coming

Medal of Honor Pacific Assault complete, Samorost 2, Stalker Call of Pripyat, and Commandos: Strike Force, and one more that many of you might be interested in- Freespace 2 :)

Twig

Banned
Ooh Samorost.

Is Samorost 1 on Steam? I suppose I could check on my own.

EDIT: Unless you actually do mean Samofrost...!??

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
LovingSteam said:

Medal of Honor Pacific Assault complete, Samofrost 2, Stalker Call of Pripyat, and Commandos: Strike Force, and one more that many of you might be interested in- Freespace 2 :)

Hell yes I love Pacific Assault.

Javaman

kpeezy said:
It works well but you can't talk to living players while you are dead. It's really important to be able to tell your team how you died, how many people you saw/heard, etc so Ventrilo is important.

edit: I'm mostly talking about during scrimmages. If you just want to play in a public server then in-game voice is fine.

It's has the best competitive scene I've ever been involved in. The only thing I can think of that would beat it is Starcraft.

Seems like that would easily lead to massive cheating since you can fly around and tell your teammates exactly where the enemies are hiding.

LovingSteam said:

Medal of Honor Pacific Assault complete, Samorost 2, Stalker Call of Pripyat, and Commandos: Strike Force, and one more that many of you might be interested in- Freespace 2 :)

Awesome! Hopefully you'll be able to mod it with the excellent SCP stuff.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeSpace_2_Source_Code_Project

Any word on the first one?

I downloaded Torchlght a few days ago, and just got a laptop today. 2 questions about Steam/Torchlight:

1. For Steam, is there any way to be logged in to two places at once (one account). I would prefer not to have to get kicked off on my PC just because I sign in on my laptop.

2. I remember talk of Steam supporting saves to their servers. Is this possible with Torchlight, or am I going to have to send my save file to myself?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Javaman said:
Seems like that would easily lead to massive cheating since you can fly around and tell your teammates exactly where the enemies are hiding.

My bro and I used to have our PCs set up side by side and we were playing on this one server once on the same team and when one of us would die the spectator screen would black out so we couldn't no clip around the map to find the remaining enemies. It said something along the lines of detecting that we were playing on the same IP.

Psy-Phi

Leunam said:
So what makes CS 1.6 so popular? I'm assuming CS has been updated since then right?
Riot Shields. They're not in Source. Some of the maps aren't in CS:S yet either or so I've read. But I NEVER played CS until Source so I don't know for sure if that's old info.

To me it seems more like the people familiar with CS don't want to get used to the new visual style, GPU hungry (by comparison) and ever so slightly different physics of CS:S.

rezuth

Psy-Phi[B said:
]Riot Shields[/B]. They're not in Source. Some of the maps aren't in CS:S yet either or so I've read. But I NEVER played CS until Source so I don't know for sure if that's old info.

To me it seems more like the people familiar with CS don't want to get used to the new visual style, GPU hungry (by comparison) and ever so slightly different physics of CS:S.
Joke, right? I mean 99% of all server don't allow them.

prodystopian said:
I downloaded Torchlght a few days ago, and just got a laptop today. 2 questions about Steam/Torchlight:

1. For Steam, is there any way to be logged in to two places at once (one account). I would prefer not to have to get kicked off on my PC just because I sign in on my laptop.

2. I remember talk of Steam supporting saves to their servers. Is this possible with Torchlight, or am I going to have to send my save file to myself?

Set your secondary machine to offline mode and you'll be able to play on both machines without getting lohhed out. .

vocab

crimsonheadGCN said:
Basically the same. It's the same layout, but the whole level was made bigger to accommodate for 32v32 player games.

It's so different. Cars, random barrels that fuck you up on long, angles are different, you can pick mid/cat easier, b doors are switched, better angle from lower b to cat, easier to pick window, flashing over walls that couldn't before (long a doors). Smoking double doors from Tspawn (makes no sense). Also, don't forget about the useful palm tree.

I bought CSS awhile ago but it's so hard to get into. I can't speak for everyone but for the most part the community was horrible, almost as bad as XBL in terms of racist kids and that sort of thing. I still play every now and then but just be warned the learning curve for this game is a vertical line.

prodystopian said:

There's a very easy way to share Torchlight saves, and saves for other games, between PCs, using Dropbox and Link Shell Extension. Here's how.

I can vouch for CSS vanilla being a rough game to get into, but some of the mods and party servers are fun to play around with. TF2 is a better game for that sort of thing, though.

With CSS you're not just facing the learning curve of Source but also the original iteration of Counter-Strike since the most played maps in Source are the most played maps from CS1.6(and earlier). You're playing against people that have been playing that game for years and years.

Given that Counter-Strike is one of the most widely played Source mods, you're going to encounter all types, just find a good server to play and learn on.

Toby

With CSS, I enjoy playing on the Pantless clan servers. There are usually some mods floating around to ban suspicious players, and its a pub so its a good starting point. If you restrict the server list to dust2 and sort by how many players you should see it some way down, max of 36 players I think. Note the pantless servers do not allow awps or semi auto snipers so they are good to learn on.
If you want to become better at AWP or sniping in general there is the titties and beer server, but be prepared to be thoroughly beaten if you arent good.

brain_stew said:
Set your secondary machine to offline mode and you'll be able to play on both machines without getting lohhed out. .

Peronthious said:
There's a very easy way to share Torchlight saves, and saves for other games, between PCs, using Dropbox and Link Shell Extension. Here's how.

I can vouch for CSS vanilla being a rough game to get into, but some of the mods and party servers are fun to play around with. TF2 is a better game for that sort of thing, though.

Thanks! It would be awesome if this were built into Steam (whether it is Valve or Runic's decision, I don't know), especially for a game like Torchlight that I could play on a PC and laptop.

kpeezy

Banned
Javaman said:

You can only spectate your own team while dead in scrimmages and matches.

Dunlop

I think I'll pass on CS, I have never played any CounterStrike whatsoever. The audience is probably beyond hardcore at this point and I will just get reamed :D

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
LovingSteam said:

YESSSSSSSSSS @ Freespace 2. So buying that day one when it's released.
I wanted to get the GOG version for awhile, but i'd prefer to get it on steam. Since it make my game list bigger.:lol

derder

Dunlop said:
I think I'll pass on CS, I have never played any CounterStrike whatsoever. The audience is probably beyond hardcore at this point and I will just get reamed :D
You'll do fine if you just join random servers. Just watch what the other plays are doing while you are dead and copy them.

If you want to get raped at CSS, join these servers:

65.60.52.146:27015
65.60.52.150:27015

They are the only servers (that I know of) that are full of competitive players pubbing between scrims.

add jchill2 to steam friends. I'll be playing most of the day tomorrow.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
TheOneGuy said:
Don't lie.

This is a lie.

Do not listen to it.

Oh please I played with randoms in CSS and then went back to CS1.6 with randoms. If you have something of a spine you will eventually get the hang of the game, even with randoms.

PS - Surf servers are fucking sweet.

Twig

Banned
Stallion Free said:
Oh please I played with randoms in CSS and then went back to CS1.6 with randoms. If you have something of a spine you will eventually get the hang of the game, even with randoms.

PS - Surf servers are fucking sweet.
I'm not sure 1.6 has anything to do with Source so I don't why you're bringing it up. Literally every single time I've played on a random CS:S server I've been ridiculed for not knowing how to play the game.

Fact.

Random servers are a shitty, shitty, shitty way to get into CS:S.

Fact.

Conclusion, the only way to get into the game is to play with a bunch friends.

I'm so glad that I bought Altitude before the sale ends tomorrow. It's such a good and addictive game.

About CSS and joining random servers: I personally never had any problems with the people on random servers even when I returned after a year and needed to relearn the whole game. People have been generally nice. Only problems I've ever had was when I joined my friends and got onto a clan server where the admins didn't like players disconnecting from the server and rejoining it to clear up the scores.

Oreoleo

TheOneGuy said:
I'm not sure 1.6 has anything to do with Source so I don't why you're bringing it up. Literally every single time I've played on a random CS:S server I've been ridiculed for not knowing how to play the game.

Fact.

Fact.

BUT with the weekend sale there will be a bunch of nubs playing so that isn't really true as of right now.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
TheOneGuy said:

Fact.

Fact.

What I'm trying to say is that I went back to an even more difficult to get into game afterwards. I rarely get ridiculed when playing and I'm never got very good. I got pretty hooked on CS:S back in the day and I played with randoms exclusively. You guys are building up CS:S up waaaayyy too much. If you can get into TF2 you can get into CS:S.

Twig

Banned
Orellio said:
BUT with the weekend sale there will be a bunch of nubs playing so that isn't really true as of right now.
I'll give you that.
Stallion Free said:
What I'm trying to say is that I went back to an even more difficult to get into game afterwards. I rarely get ridiculed when playing and I'm never got very good. I got pretty hooked on CS:S back in the day and I played with randoms exclusively. You guys are building up CS:S up waaaayyy too much. If you can get into TF2 you can get into CS:S.
I'm not building anything up. I've had nothing but absolutely shitty experiences with the game except on two occasions, once when I was lanning with some friends, and once when I played on the GAF server a couple years back. I suppose it's possible the community has grown up recently but that's not a chance I'm going to take when there are other vastly superior games on the market already.

And shitty experiences does not mean I sucked so bad I felt useless and hated it. It means the people are a bunch of dickwads and ruin the experience for me.

EDIT: Also, the time that I lanned, we played on a public server and I was ridiculed. I just didn't care because I was playing with my friends and chowin' down pizza and we all trolled the server in retaliation until they shut up or kicked us.

TheExodu5

Banned
That's the beauty of dedicated servers. Find one you like and stick with it. I've never seen anyone ridiculed in a pub. Pub is very solo play, so there's not much pressure in terms of teamplay.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
TheOneGuy said:
And shitty experiences does not mean I sucked so bad I felt useless and hated it. It means the people are a bunch of dickwads and ruin the experience for me.

How do you handle the being on the internet? Of course there are "dickwads" in CSS, but it's not hard to ignore them.

vocab

The skill gap in Source's public play is very low. The game is very easy considering the hitboxes are bigger, the recoil is very low, and the gameplay is just slower period. I would dare say the game is far less aim based compared to 1.6. Sure you aim, but the amount of precision you put forth while taking in the account of the recoil isn't that intense. I wouldn't be that turned off from either game. The only way you get better at a game is to keep playing it.

Twig

Banned
Stallion Free said:
How do you handle the being on the internet? Of course there are "dickwads" in CSS, but it's not hard to ignore them.
Man.

Are you really so dense? I thought you were smarter than that.

I will say this though: at least the CS community isn't as bad as the DotA community.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
TheOneGuy said:
Man.

Are you really so dense? I thought you were smarter than that.

I will say this though: at least the CS community isn't as bad as the DotA community.

How am I being dense? You can't take some people making fun of your CSS skills.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
BothBarsOn said:
Jesus. CSS sounds terrifying. Is it ... dare I say it ... fun?
It's really not that hard to get into. I played it for the first time in like a year or two. And i managed to get a pretty good k/d ratio, in a few rounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom