• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bebpo said:
I think Steam is dumb for not including Samorost 1 when you buy 2 like Ben There, Dan That when you buy Time Gentlemen, Please!. Sure Samorost 1 is free, but not having it on your steam list like the sequel and Machinarium sucks.

I haven't played the Samorost games yet and I do plan to, but if there was a package I would've bought it right now. Without 1 being on steam I'll just play 1 eventually one day and then I'll pick up 2, maybe on steam, maybe not.
Dude, Samorost 1 is a flash game. Just go fucking play it.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Just got Red Orchestra for $5. Thanks for the heads up.

I also got a free guest pass. The first person to quote this post gets it. :p

epmode

Bebpo said:
So was Machinarium :lol

Flash games still require time, like non-flash games and I don't have the time right now to play an adventure game.
It's entirely linear. A single screen adventure game with no backtracking or inventory at all. You even get a new password at each screen so you can pick up where you left off. And it's about an hour long.

biocat

Archie said:
Just got Red Orchestra for $5. Thanks for the heads up.

I also got a free guest pass. The first person to quote this post gets it. :p

I'd like to try it out. Wanna shoot it my way? ID: biocat

Slavik81

Maybe I'm a little lttp on this, but I just don't understand what the hell Gearbox is doing. Their spokesmen keep spewing garbage and their game has all kinds of problems.

cory

Banned
I'm slowly getting into CSS. It's not instantly fun, and the Pre-Orange Box Source engine is showing it's age, but I find it oddly fascinating.

mug

cms382 said:
I'm slowly getting into CSS. It's not instantly fun, and the Pre-Orange Box Source engine is showing it's age, but I find it oddly fascinating.
Yeah, brings back memories.

Blizzard

Banned
Snaku said:
CSS is the weekend deal? Fuck, who doesn't own that by now?
People like me who didn't get Steam until the Orange Box came out, and have been waiting like three years for it to drop under $20! :p

Ryn

Snaku said:

kai3345 said:
*raises hand*

Blizzard said:
People like me who didn't get Steam until the Orange Box came out, and have been waiting like three years for it to drop under $20! :p

vq5z51.jpg

Mrbob

Snaku said:

I guess a decent amount of people since its the top seller right now!

I wish there was better weekend deal too, but the holiday sale is almost here.

cory

Banned
Oh darn, I wanted to try out the L4D2 demo again, but it disappeared!
I can still get to it through windows, but it doesn't show up in Steam.
EDIT: "No permissions to play Left 4 Dead 2"

graywolf323

Mrbob said:
I guess a decent amount of people since its the top seller right now!

I wish there was better weekend deal too, but the holiday sale is almost here.

the holiday sale is why I'm happy there isn't a better weekend deal :p

trying not to spend any money until the holiday sale

Bebpo said:
So was Machinarium :lol

Flash games still require time, like non-flash games and I don't have the time right now to play an adventure game.
The point is wanting them to add a free, web-based Flash game to Steam is stupid.

If you can't play it, you can't play it, but it not being on Steam isn't a reason.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
:lol jeez Red Orchestra is hardfuckingcore. I got like 3 kills in an hour and a half. I'm not particularly fond of it, but I gotta appreciate the realism that went into the game. It makes Call of Duty look like Quake.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Has EA ever said why The Sims 3 isn't on Steam? I'm kinda jonesing for some Sims action, but I am a whore to Steam and don't want to get it off another DD service.

Bebpo

Banned
faceless007 said:
The point is wanting them to add a free, web-based Flash game to Steam is stupid.

If you can't play it, you can't play it, but it not being on Steam isn't a reason.

It's just nice to have all your games in 1 place. That's kind of the whole point of Steam. Looks awkward having a sequel but not the original on your game list.

Anyhow I played a bit of Samorost 1 last night and it was nice. Game didn't save my progress though, so I'll have to wait until I have 1-2 hours free (might be a while) to sit and do it all in one go.

Javaman

Did anyone pick up either of the Itza games? I'm thinking of picking them up for my son, but the demo/trial on their website acts like it is loaded with a bunch of DRM crap. When launching it takes 30 or so seconds for anything to happen, like it's trying to communicate with their website. Does the steam version do this crap too? It looks like a pretty sweet game for little ones, sorta like Scribblenaughts except you draw the shapes. Also the demo only let us use it once last night before locking us out. WTF.

Bebpo said:
It's just nice to have all your games in 1 place. That's kind of the whole point of Steam. Looks awkward having a sequel but not the original on your game list.

Anyhow I played a bit of Samorost 1 last night and it was nice. Game didn't save my progress though, so I'll have to wait until I have 1-2 hours free (might be a while) to sit and do it all in one go.

Am I doing something wrong? Because Samarost 1 took me fifteen minutes last night. It looks like the sequel is longer, I guess it doesn't really matter for $2.50

Blizzard

Banned
cms382 said:
It's gone from my list too...about time they deleted it. I don't know why they left it up for like three weeks if they were going to take it down for good...maybe modders figured out how to get it to play full games or something.

Twig

Banned
Blizzard said:
It's gone from my list too...about time they deleted it. I don't know why they left it up for like three weeks if they were going to take it down for good...maybe modders figured out how to get it to play full games or something.
YEAH HOW DARE THEY

Twig

Banned
Blizzard said:
So are you saying they shouldn't have left the demo up and on my uninstalled games list?

Or are you saying that they should have left the demo up?
I'm just saying I think it's funny.

Red Scarlet

I got a game gifted to me (Machinarium I think it was named), but when I clicked 'open your gift' then 'install', steam said THIS GAME CAN NOT BE INSTALLED and everything for it disappeared.

edit: Restarting steam brought it back and to dl, so nm. Thanks gifter.

benjipwns

Banned
cms382 said:
Best part for me. It doesn't show up in my Add/Remove Programs so I can't uninstall it properly.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Is RO worth it? kinda tempted for $5. It's one of the few steam multi-player titles, that i've always wanted to get around to playing. But is the community even active anymore?

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Lafiel said:
Is RO worth it? kinda tempted for $5. It's one of the few steam multi-player titles, that i've always wanted to get around to playing. But is the community even active anymore?
It is a very interesting game that is strangely entertaining. Your guns control like shit and you die in one shot. There are usually a few hundred people on when I play, but about half of those are on Euro servers so it is fairly laggy. I've played 3 hours and got 10 kills total. :lol

PM me your Steam ID and I'll hook you up with a guest pass. (I got another one when I logged onto Steam this morning)

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Archie said:
It is a very interesting game that is strangely entertaining. Your guns control like shit and you die in one shot. There are usually a few hundred people on when I play, but about half of those are on Euro servers so it is fairly laggy. I've played 3 hours and got 10 kills total. :lol

PM me your Steam ID and I'll hook you up with a guest pass. (I got another one when I logged onto Steam this morning)
PM sent!

vazel

Banned
Lafiel said:
If you like sim games you'll like it. Online is laggy unfortunately.

Blizzard

Banned
TouchMyBox said:
Why would someone want to banish fresh meat? :D
Yeah, I was like "Hey, only a GB to install, I'll try this" last night, and ended up playing for like 5 hours. :lol I quit with my score just barely over 50% of my deaths, so I figured that was a high point for me. :p

The server I tried was some clan-ish server, but it was called NoobVille so I guess they didn't mind all the fresh meat playing. Some people were raging occasionally, but you can mute them. Some people were using the AWP (I thought that meant Arctic Warfare Pistol, but it's like, a sniper rifle, man), and quick-zooming-pistol-switching-killing people. It was a 24/7 office server, with four hostages, and most of the time the terrorists seemed to spawn inside. I just played as counterterrorist and used the M-249 (I think that was it) the vast majority of the time. I couldn't seem to kill people with other weapons, and I didn't feel like sniper rifle camping. Friendly fire was off, but I still probably hit my teammates with flashbangs a few times.

So I did horribly overall, but it was fairly fun, but it was hilarious to occasionally run into a room, right in the face of one of the better players, and let the M-249 off into his chest/head. I got a few "wtf no way" kind of reactions, dunno if that was good or bad. :lol And it's so satisfying to make your way back outside behind window-camping AWP people and M-249 them to death.

The M-249 was my favorite weapon in Mirror's Edge, too! I don't know what that little thing on top that looks like a microphone is for, though.

Slavik81

kai3345 said:
CSS is not as "holy shit this guy sucks, voteban his ass" as I thought it would be.
Of course not. Unlike something like Left4Dead where you're constantly relying on team members to save you from situations in which you're helpless, in CS you can get out of any situation on your own (though it might be ridiculously difficult).

Because they don't have to depend on you, they don't care nearly as much.

<3 CS:S

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Red Scarlet said:
I got a game gifted to me (Machinarium I think it was named), but when I clicked 'open your gift' then 'install', steam said THIS GAME CAN NOT BE INSTALLED and everything for it disappeared.

edit: Restarting steam brought it back and to dl, so nm. Thanks gifter.

Wow, thats awesome. Machinarium is one of my games of the year.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Blizzard said:
Yeah, I was like "Hey, only a GB to install, I'll try this" last night, and ended up playing for like 5 hours. :lol I quit with my score just barely over 50% of my deaths, so I figured that was a high point for me. :p

The server I tried was some clan-ish server, but it was called NoobVille so I guess they didn't mind all the fresh meat playing. Some people were raging occasionally, but you can mute them. Some people were using the AWP (I thought that meant Arctic Warfare Pistol, but it's like, a sniper rifle, man), and quick-zooming-pistol-switching-killing people. It was a 24/7 office server, with four hostages, and most of the time the terrorists seemed to spawn inside. I just played as counterterrorist and used the M-249 (I think that was it) the vast majority of the time. I couldn't seem to kill people with other weapons, and I didn't feel like sniper rifle camping. Friendly fire was off, but I still probably hit my teammates with flashbangs a few times.

So I did horribly overall, but it was fairly fun, but it was hilarious to occasionally run into a room, right in the face of one of the better players, and let the M-249 off into his chest/head. I got a few "wtf no way" kind of reactions, dunno if that was good or bad. :lol And it's so satisfying to make your way back outside behind window-camping AWP people and M-249 them to death.

The M-249 was my favorite weapon in Mirror's Edge, too! I don't know what that little thing on top that looks like a microphone is for, though.

It's really weird reading peoples first-hand impressions of playing Counter Strike for the first time to someone who's been playing it on and off again for over 8 years now. All those things that are just common knowledge to me, like basic game mechanics, must seem really radical and different to you. Crazy to think about, really.

Slavik81

How does the time-played tracking work? They seem to have tracked some games all the way back to May, when I played FarCry... Maybe all games? I'm not sure.

Anybody know what the cutoff date was?

Twig

Banned
Slavik81 said:
How does the time-played tracking work? They seem to have tracked some games all the way back to May, when I played FarCry... Maybe all games? I'm not sure.

Anybody know what the cutoff date was?
No idea, but I'd say it was about, yeah. Everything that has a record I played sometime last spring or later.

Also holy shit I played Plants vs. Zombies for 48 hours.

Were the Batman: Arkham Asylum Steam vouchers that came with NVIDIA cards a limited time offer? Trying to look for one on eBay, but haven't seen many of them.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
crimsonheadGCN said:
Were the Batman: Arkham Asylum Steam vouchers that came with NVIDIA cards a limited time offer? Trying to look for one on eBay, but haven't seen many of them.

Yes, they had an expiration date. I'd wait until Steam's holiday sale, where I'd imagine they'd come close to matching the last sale's price, which was pretty close to the average ebay auction price for the vouchers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom