• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

legend166

TheOneGuy said:
Man.

Are you really so dense? I thought you were smarter than that.

I will say this though: at least the CS community isn't as bad as the DotA community.

That is so true.

DotA community is painful.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
This weekend, GAF , R.U.S.E Beta, 2 Vs 2.

<PC noob>
What does DotA means?
</PC noob>

Lafiel said:
YESSSSSSSSSS @ Freespace 2. So buying that day one when it's released.
I wanted to get the GOG version for awhile, but i'd prefer to get it on steam. Since it make my game list bigger.:lol

You know you can add any game to the steam list right? Just get it off of GOG. It likely is cheaper than what Steam will price it at, and plus you get a lot of extra downloadable goodies. It's also optimized to run on XP/Vista (and works with Windows 7 for me) whereas often Steam just kind of throws old games up on the store without making any claims to its compatibility.

Peronthious said:
There's a very easy way to share Torchlight saves, and saves for other games, between PCs, using Dropbox and Link Shell Extension. Here's how.

You're my new lord and savior. Something like link shell is EXACTLY what I've been wanting. Since I got Dropbox and my new laptop I've been thinking to myself "surely there's a way to link save files across PC's using Dropbox?"

Edit: Does anyone know where the hell Plants vs. Zombies save data goes? For the life of me... I can't find it!

Javaman

MisterAnderson said:
Edit: Does anyone know where the hell Plants vs. Zombies save data goes? For the life of me... I can't find it!

There really is no excuse for how poorly save folders are implemented. If developers can't use a single shared folder, they should at least have a standardized name for the folder so people can find it.

MisterAnderson said:
You're my new lord and savior. Something like link shell is EXACTLY what I've been wanting. Since I got Dropbox and my new laptop I've been thinking to myself "surely there's a way to link save files across PC's using Dropbox?"

Try C:\ProgramData\Steam\PlantsVsZombies\userdata

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
TouchMyBox said:
If you're curious and want to flex your pc gaming muscle a little bit for free, go here immediately.
Ill try it today. Dont understand what kind of game is :/
Like World of Warcraft?

Fersis said:
Ill try it today. Dont understand what kind of game is :/
Like World of Warcraft?

If you've ever played an RTS that has hero units (WC3, DoWII), it's like that but you only control the hero unit. Lots of leveling up of abilities and buying items with the end goal of destroying the enemy base (which is not player controlled).

crimsonheadGCN said:

Thanks a lot :D

Unfortunately it seems I'm having issues finding my save data for many of my games... very annoying that there is rarely a "Save" folder in the steam game folders or in my documents. The only game I found in the ProgramData was Plants Vs Zombies, so I'm kind of clueless to where these other missing saves are located.

Some game saves I can't find:

The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition
QuantZ
Madballs Babo Invasion
Defense Grid
and others...

Also, WTF I just tried to play Trackmania. I haven't played it in like 10 days or so, but it's acting as if it was the first time launching it, on both my PC and laptop, and all of my medals from playing single player challenges are gone/the tracks are locked again...????? (Also I haven't tampered with any of the saves for this, just in case that is what it sounds like)

Javaman

TouchMyBox said:
If you've ever played an RTS that has hero units (WC3, DoWII), it's like that but you only control the hero unit. Lots of leveling up of abilities and buying items with the end goal of destroying the enemy base (which is not player controlled).

That sounds pretty fun. Are there any single player versions?

Javaman said:
That sounds pretty fun. Are there any single player versions?

I believe both HoN and LoL are multi-player only (aside from tutorials, that might have bots, I've never tried), as that is where the appeal of these types of games are. Demigod which does deviate from the formula somewhat does have bots which you can play with.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
MisterAnderson said:

Unfortunately it seems I'm having issues finding my save data for many of my games... very annoying that there is rarely a "Save" folder in the steam game folders or in my documents. The only game I found in the ProgramData was Plants Vs Zombies, so I'm kind of clueless to where these other missing saves are located.

Some game saves I can't find:

The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition
QuantZ
Madballs Babo Invasion
Defense Grid
and others...

Also, WTF I just tried to play Trackmania. I haven't played it in like 10 days or so, but it's acting as if it was the first time launching it, on both my PC and laptop, and all of my medals from playing single player challenges are gone/the tracks are locked again...?????
Secret of Monkey Island is in users\XXXX\appdata\roaming\Lucasarts\
A lot of saves are probably in the appdata folder either local or roaming.
Its a hidden folder by default if you can't find it.

epmode

crimsonheadGCN said:
PvZ actually requires files from two seperate folders before your save will work. I made that mistake when switching from XP to Win7.

(I don't know exactly what you need, just pointing it out so you don't make the same mistake)

John

epmode said:
PvZ actually has two required file or folders before your save will work. I made that mistake when formatting my computer recently.
I've swapped my PvZ userdata folder among computers at home and school and been fine.

Is there any point in getting CS:S for an offline gamer? Even if my computer was online I wouldn't want to try breaking into that metagame anyway.

kpeezy

Banned
John said:
I've swapped my PvZ userdata folder among computers at home and school and been fine.

Is there any point in getting CS:S for an offline gamer? Even if my computer was online I wouldn't want to try breaking into that metagame anyway.

Nope. Really though, it's not nearly as difficult to get into as people are making it seem. Public play is pretty laid back from my experiences. I never hear people making fun of each other about skill level unless it's mutual shit talk. No one gives a fuck if you're good in a public server. It's kind of assumed that no one in public servers is really good anyways so pub servers (especially organized clan servers) are laid back and fun for noobies.

edit: Also, it has been talked about a little but the modded servers can be a blast. I almost exclusively scrimmage but I still love getting on public deathmatch servers. Surf servers are a lot of fun too. I even like the climbing servers (kz_mapname) but those aren't for everyone.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Javaman said:
There really is no excuse for how poorly save folders are implemented. If developers can't use a single shared folder, they should at least have a standardized name for the folder so people can find it.
I'm thinking of compiling a list of all my saved game folder locations and creating a batch file that will move them to one central location and replace them with symbolic links. Then if I want to back up I can just copy the one folder to a memory stick or whatever.
Vice versa would also work and might be easier - create a central folder of just symbolic links to all the save game folders.

epmode

MisterAnderson said:
Only 2.49. Never heard of this game or the first one, can't find the first game on Steam though. This supposed to be good?
Samorost 1 is free, along with half of 2: http://www.amanita-design.net/samorost-1/

The same developer also made Machinarium, which is a more traditional adventure game (with an inventory system). I love all three games to death.

edit: Machinarium is also on Steam, though you'd have to get the genuinely awesome soundtrack separately if you don't buy the game directly from the dev's site.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
wmat said:
People hatin' on CSS in here, eh? Why?

It is an objectively good game. Stop dissing it.
It's impossible for CS noobs to not hate on the game. They don't stand a chance against the community.

<3 Freespace 2. The FS1 mod was awesome: too bad the studio folded. The ending of FS2 was so good.

Depending on the price and compatibility, I may just skip CS:S and save money for FS2.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
MisterAnderson said:

Unfortunately it seems I'm having issues finding my save data for many of my gam
There's also My Documents (or whatever yours is)\Saved Games...

And AppData...

And other random places...

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
NightHawk17 said:
do i have to have a internet connection to play games i bought from steam?
There's an offline mode, so generally no if you've activated offline mode at some point (unless it's got some weird online DRM thing going).
2627fc6.png

derder

crimsonheadGCN said:
Only problems I've ever had was when I joined my friends and got onto a clan server where the admins didn't like players disconnecting from the server and rejoining it to clear up the scores.
You can just press m->6->m->1 or 2 to do that and get your starting 800 back.

Javaman

Sweet! Bards Tale is now on steam for $8.99. It's like a funny version of Balder's Gate Dark Alliance. The song sung in the first tavern is so catchy.

The modern interpretation of the original Bard's Tale, the grandfather of all role-playing games, by its original producer - Brian Fargo.

A new generation third-person, action/role-playing game featuring wicked humor and clever personality.

Forget the quest to save the world, our hero is interested in just two things…coin and cleavage. Play the role of the Bard as he gets swept up in a harrowing adventure that proves too much for countless chosen one but hopefully not for you.

Use the Snarky/Nice conversation to pick the tone... be an ass or show some class. Your attitude will affect the events that unfold and create a personailized experience for each player.

Develop your combat party by summoning a group of eccentrics and misfits to do your bidding - sixteen summoned creatures in all.

Brilliant graphics and bustling environments, alive with interactive townsfolk, original music (with singing), birds, animals, rustling trees, waving grass and trickling water, that immerse the player deep into the Bard's world.

Based on the storied land of the Orkney Islands off the coast of Scotland - the inspiration for the classic fantasy worlds.
5/10 of the new releases on steam are DLC. :eek:P

Twig

Banned
Javaman said:
Sweet! Bards Tale is now on steam for $8.99. It's like a funny version of Balder's Gate Dark Alliance. The song sung in the first tavern is so catchy.

And 4/5 of those are railworks.

i don't actually know

Javaman said:

Valve really goes through spurts. They will release like 7-12 releases all at once, go cold for a week or so, release a few ehhh type games/DLC, go cold, and then release another 7-12 games. Same thing with the coming soon section. Right now there are 11 in the coming soon, but recently there was around 20. I expect a few more games to be placed there soon although most of them probably won't offer a pre-purchase :(.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
graywolf323 said:
does anyone know if the Steam version of The Bard's Tale come with the original trilogy of games like the retail release did?

Wait what is this? The retail version of the new Bard's Tale came with the original trilogy? I'm assuming this is PC only? Do they work on modern PCs?

Bebpo

Banned
I think Steam is dumb for not including Samorost 1 when you buy 2 like Ben There, Dan That when you buy Time Gentlemen, Please!. Sure Samorost 1 is free, but not having it on your steam list like the sequel and Machinarium sucks.

I haven't played the Samorost games yet and I do plan to, but if there was a package I would've bought it right now. Without 1 being on steam I'll just play 1 eventually one day and then I'll pick up 2, maybe on steam, maybe not.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Was this posted?

Tripwire Interactive Snowstorm Game Event – Free content added to all Tripwire Interactive games, Weekend Sale on Red Orchestra, and Guest Passes for Killing Floor
posted by [TW]Ramm-Jaeger2 @ 09:06PM on December 11, 2009
Tripwire Interactive Snowstorm Game Event – Free content added to all Tripwire Interactive games, Weekend Sale on Red Orchestra, and Guest Passes for Killing Floor

Roswell, GA, 11 Dec 2009: Tripwire Interactive is pleased to announce the massive Snowstorm game event featuring free content updates and deals for all Tripwire Interactive games. The quick summary is:

4 stunning new maps for Killing Floor, from the winners of the Grindhouse Custom Map Making Competition.
Defense Alliance 2 – a free total conversion mod for Killing Floor, featuring team-based futuristic combat. And more zombies, too.
A huge update for the Mare Nostrum mod for Red Orchestra
A price reduction on Red Orchestra to $9.99, with a weekend sale at $4.99 (a further 50% off) from Friday through Monday 14th December
AND 2 Guest Passes for all owners of Killing Floor

Nice more killing floor maps! also i always wanted to play red orchestra and the 10 dollar price is very nice, hopefully i can get some money soon :(

Bebpo said:
I think Steam is dumb for not including Samorost 1 when you buy 2 like Ben There, Dan That when you buy Time Gentlemen, Please!. Sure Samorost 1 is free, but not having it on your steam list like the sequel and Machinarium sucks.

I haven't played the Samorost games yet and I do plan to, but if there was a package I would've bought it right now. Without 1 being on steam I'll just play 1 eventually one day and then I'll pick up 2, maybe on steam, maybe not.

I think Amanita would quite prefer it if you didn't pick the game up on steam :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom