• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alucrid

Banned
crimsonheadGCN said:
Nope. Currently, Steam only supports the Trident engine, which powers IE. They have been toying around with the idea to support other engines, but they are hesitant to do so since they would need to package in the other web engines with Steam.

Damn, oh well, I can deal with it for how little it actually pops up. Thanks for the info.

bathala

Banned
Basileus777 said:
You'll be playing a significantly lesser game to do it. Besides the whole of technical problems the 360 version has, it also lacks the gameplay changes made for the PC version such as fixing the leveling system and not forcing you to use generic soldiers.
wait so the lvl system on 360 is bork?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
How do I make my 360 controller work for TLR? I have never used it before on PC

And where the hell is mouse scroll!

shintoki said:
I did. The light is blinkin but the cursor ain't movin

Its a wired controller right? You on XP? You'll have to install drivers for XP, Vista should work plug and play. Try plugging it in before starting up the game, perhaps?

Dreavus

Just got TLR. Reviews were pretty mixed, and I could not find any of my friends who had played it for impressions, but I had fun with the demo. Can't really go wrong with $10.

*backlog continues to grow*

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
brain_stew said:
Its a wired controller right? You on XP? You'll have to install drivers for XP, Vista should work plug and play. Try plugging it in before starting up the game, perhaps?
It's a wireless, but I'm using the charge and play thing.

I also have Vista, The light just keeps blinkin at me! And I don't understand the controls at all using the PC. Everything is listed as A or B or X!!!

Doytch

shintoki said:

I also have Vista, The light just keeps blinkin at me! And I don't understand the controls at all using the PC. Everything is listed as A or B or X!!!
That cable just charges it, it doesn't pass info over it.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
shintoki said:

Therein lies your problem. To use the wireless controller with a PC you need a wireless reciever for it.

Javaman

Sinatar said:
Therein lies your problem. To use the wireless controller with a PC you need a wireless reciever for it.

Yeah, and unfortunately the cable is out of production so it's probably more expensive then just a wired controller. Pretty dumb design decision.

Brashnir

Javaman said:
Yeah, and unfortunately the cable is out of production so it's probably more expensive then just a wired controller. Pretty dumb design decision.

Yeah the receiver alone isn't sold anymore, but you can still buy a wireless controller + the wireless PC dongle at Amazon. It's 10 bucks more than buying a wired controller, but cheaper than the $50 people ask for the dongle alone these days.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KA5T6A/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Red

Brashnir said:
Yeah the receiver alone isn't sold anymore, but you can still buy a wireless controller + the wireless PC dongle at Amazon. It's 10 bucks more than buying a wired controller, but cheaper than the $50 people ask for the dongle alone these days.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KA5T6A/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Gotta mention that I've ordered two "X Box Windows controllers with receiver" from amazon and ended up with only the controller both times.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I think my question got lost in the last remnant madness: when you buy samarost 2, does it play in its own window that you can fullscreen? or is it just always in the browser? i'd really like to have it fullscreen...

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
mattiewheels said:
I think my question got lost in the last remnant madness: when you buy samarost 2, does it play in its own window that you can fullscreen? or is it just always in the browser? i'd really like to have it fullscreen...
You can make it fullscreen with F11 after accessing the flash SWF directly ( http://amanita-design.net/samorost-2/main.swf ), but it doesn't scale, it's of fixed size. So you'll just have a black border around it.

Edit: That goes for the browser version, at least. Dunno bout the bought version.

Crunched said:
Gotta mention that I've ordered two "X Box Windows controllers with receiver" from amazon and ended up with only the controller both times.

Was amazon the seller or was it third party or fulfilled by amazon? Was it in the red packaging like it was for windows and not the green packaging for xbox?

Slacker

I love my 360 controller + wireless receiver (got it at Best Buy years ago), but man I had forgotten how shitty the d-pad was until I fired up TLR last night. I PRESSED UP DANGIT NOT UP/LEFT.

Kleevah

mattiewheels said:
The steam version starts in fullscreen by default (it uses adobes stand alone flash player).

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
So for someone who has never played a JRPG, is LR a good introduction, or will its issues sour me on the whole genre for good.

poppabk said:
So for someone who has never played a JRPG, is LR a good introduction, or will its issues sour me on the whole genre for good.
No, there are a lot of better Japanese RPGs for beginners. Pick up something like Final Fantasy X or Chrono Trigger instead.

I'm actually liking the Last Remnant a lot, but you'll probably find it too grindy and too complex.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
archnemesis said:
No, there are a lot of better Japanese RPGs for beginners. Pick up something like Final Fantasy X or Chrono Trigger instead.

I'm actually liking the Last Remnant a lot, but you'll probably find it too grindy and too complex.
Beyond the artstyle, how do western RPG's and JRPG's differ?

I have a wireless receiver for the PC, but no wireless 360 controller. If anyone has a wired 360 controller, I'd trade it for the receiver. Just a thought while we're on the topic.

Tenks

poppabk said:
Beyond the artstyle, how do western RPG's and JRPG's differ?

WRPG generally don't feature the protaganist as an androgynous he-she linetrap who's sole purpose of saving the world is to learn something about himself while getting into whacky adventures with the constant threat of battling the same boss 10000 times

I'm looking at you FFX

Twig

Banned
Tenks said:
WRPG generally don't feature the protaganist as an androgynous he-she linetrap who's sole purpose of saving the world is to learn something about himself while getting into whacky adventures with the constant threat of battling the same boss 10000 times

I'm looking at you FFX
The sad thing is this is actually true a lot of the times.

Minsc

Gold Member
Tenks said:

I'm looking at you FFX

jRPGs generally don't let you slaughter towns, anywhere in the game you want. The cooler wRPGs let you battle/kill every last character in the game if you so desire, king/church/kids/animals/etc.

Makes me wonder if there are any good jRPGs were you play a genuinely evil character.

Alucrid

Banned
Tenks said:
JRPGs don't usually feature the protaganist as an chose your own he/she generic character whose sole purpose is saving the world while facing the choice of being good or evil, while facing the ever growing threat of stat management and inventory management, usually accompanied by terrible UIs.

I'm looking at you every WRPG

I kid, I kid. Kinda.

Minsc said:
jRPGs generally don't let you slaughter towns, anywhere in the game you want. The cooler wRPGs let you battle/kill every last character in the game if you so desire, king/church/kids/animals/etc.

Makes me wonder if there are any good jRPGs were you play a genuinely evil character.
They're generally too linear to let you make specific choices with knowable consequences

Macmanus

Japanese role playing games never actually feature role playing. This isn't good or bad, but varies on what your expectations are in a game.

Rubezh

LovingSteam said:
Just an FYI, Fallout 3 GOTY will be coming to Steam and may come as early as today.

Are they going to release the DLC seperately on Steam for those who have the regular edition? I find it weird using Steam for the game and GfWL for the DLC. I'd much rather have it on one account.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Rubezh said:
Are they going to release the DLC seperately on Steam for those who have the regular edition? I find it weird using Steam for the game and GfWL for the DLC. I'd much rather have it on one account.

They haven't made any mention of it and I'd be surprised if they did.

Big-E

Motherfuck, finally caved and bought Last Remnant but it won't fucking load. It just stays on the splash screen indefinitely and doesn't do anything. Updated all my drivers and the like and it is still fucking broken. Did a quick search online and that seemed to be the only recommended fix. Anyone else with this problem? Running Vista 64bit with a 512 8800 GTS.

Anyone else having trouble downloading the torchlight demo? Says server is busy everytime. Then I go to download something else and it works just fine. I check back to Torchlight 10 seconds after downloading something else from steam and bam servers are busy again.

Javaman

Big-E said:
Motherfuck, finally caved and bought Last Remnant but it won't fucking load. It just stays on the splash screen indefinitely and doesn't do anything. Updated all my drivers and the like and it is still fucking broken. Did a quick search online and that seemed to be the only recommended fix. Anyone else with this problem? Running Vista 64bit with a 512 8800 GTS.

I'm having a similar issue with my 9800GT and XP. The menu loaded ok, but the Square logo locked up or animated extremely slowly. Oddly enough the demo ran great back when it first came out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom