• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

epmode

criesofthepast said:
Sorry, I'm new to Steam but are you saying this Valve complete pack will be cheaper than 99.99 next week? I really only want TF2 and L4D2 for now but I'll wait if it will be worth it.
In all seriousness, the Valve Complete Pack is already a steal at $100. Some of the best games ever made in there.

But yeah, wait for the sale. Shouldn't be much longer.

Doytch

Volcynika said:
New Railworks DLC

YES!
This add-on matches its prototype with authentic high speed tilting functionality

The Class 390 Electric Multiple Unit Add-on includes:

* Class 390 EMU in Crimson Lake
* Class 390 EMU in Navy & Orange
* Class 390 EMU in Intercity Swallow
TILTING! INTERCITY SWALLOW! UNF UNF UNF UNF!

Is it up to $400 yet?
$50 base game + $375 in DLC. I like that there's a handy "Add all DLC to cart" button.

BTW, RPS did an interview with one of the dudes from the company behind Railworks. In his words, if he ever releases a "Railworks 2" it'll feel like a failure.

Javaman

Torchlight 50% off, now with added steam integration...

[-]December 18, 2009 - Torchlight Update Adds Steam Achievements, Cloud!

Runic's critically-acclaimed action RPG, Torchlight, has received a major update to add support for Steam Cloud functionality and Steam Achievements. With Steam Cloud support, Torchlight saved games and characters now follow you to any PC. In addition to adding Cloud support, Torchlight players may now slash their way to over 60 Steam achievements.

In celebration of the update Torchlight is available for 50% off until Monday!

DeadGzuz

Banned
I used the Steam backup and restore feature when installing a new HD and Windows 7 last night, it sure saved me a bunch of time DLing. I assume it does your save games too?

tomasdk

Oh my god. I just finished the main quest for the first time today. Now that the game has achievements my dream has come true and it's pretty much decided what I will be playing during the christmas holidays.
If you don't already have this great game, get it now!

Erudite

DeadGzuz said:
I used the Steam backup and restore feature when installing a new HD and Windows 7 last night, it sure saved me a bunch of time DLing. I assume it does your save games too?
Depends on the game. If the game stores the saves in the same directory as the installation, then yes. But if the game saves are stored in My Documents, or the like, then I don't think Steam Backup grabs those.

MoFuzz

Must....resist....Torchlight...

too...many...games...

Quick, someone tell me something negative about the game so that I don't buy it.

kswiston

DeadGzuz said:

What I do when installing a new hard drive is grab my external, and:

A) Copy over the \steamapps folder from the Steam root directory.
B) Copy over the My Documents folder from whatever computer account you are using
C) Copy over the AppData folder from whatever computer account you are using (e.g. C:\Users\Your Account\AppData). Note that the AppData folder is hidden by default.

After installing windows, I reinstall Steam, and drop the three folders in their respective directories.

Following those steps is quicker than using the Steam backup feature, and will ensure that all your saves and program settings are kept.

Quick question regarding gifting, is it possible for me to buy the game I want to gift someone now, and "hold" it until Christmas? Or if I click "purchase as gift" is the next step to send it right away?

Also while we are kind of on the topic of OS installing/backing up, I am currently using the Windows 7 RC but am getting the retail version for xmas... what is the process of changing from the RC to retail? Is it a big production where I will have to back everything up and reinstall all my shit or will it be a seamless transition?

Mrbob

MisterAnderson said:
OMFG YES! Torchlight 50% sale FINALLY. PLUS STEAM CLOUD FUUUUUUUUUCK

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

MisterAnderson said:
Quick question regarding gifting, is it possible for me to buy the game I want to gift someone now, and "hold" it until Christmas? Or if I click "purchase as gift" is the next step to send it right away?

Also while we are kind of on the topic of OS installing/backing up, I am currently using the Windows 7 RC but am getting the retail version for xmas... what is the process of changing from the RC to retail? Is it a big production where I will have to back everything up and reinstall all my shit or will it be a seamless transition?

When you click on purchase as gift, the next step would be options where you can gift through your friends list or through email if said friend doesn't have Steam.

Alex

MoFuzz said:
Must....resist....Torchlight...

too...many...games...

Quick, someone tell me something negative about the game so that I don't buy it.

Play less shitty games and focus on things like Torchlight.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
I have been wanting to play Torchlight since it released, but have held off since I am trying to get through my backlog of games (many of which are due to Steam sales). Can't resist this price although. Guess this is just a taste of what is to come next week.

MoFuzz

Alex said:
Play less shitty games and focus on things like Torchlight.
If you even think for a second, that I'm gonna stop playing Hello Kitty Island Adventure, for this game.....

Well then sir, you are out of your mind.

IceMarker

Damnit, Steam you made my wish come true! Torchlight is bought! :lol

I'm gonna replay a little Diablo 2 while I wait for the download to finish. I love top-down loot-oriented action-rpg games! This will tide me over to Diablo 3 also. :D

MisterAnderson said:

Send it to an email (your own preferably), then you can resend it on Christmas day if it hasn't been claimed yet.

dream

Argh, I'm about to buy Torchlight for the second time just for the achievements. :(

Can someone tell me where the Steam version keeps the save file so I can just drop mine in?

Javaman said:
Torchlight 50% off, now with added steam integration...

I would just like to say I asked for the save functionality (either here or in the Torchlight thread), so it was clearly my idea.

Also, I was just able to ween myself off of this game. Achievements will probably pull me back in.

Costanza said:
would I like torchlight? never played diablo....

Same here, I played Diablo for like 20 minutes on a handful of occasions but never got into it. I'm not big on loot games but I was compelled to buy this anyway.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
alistairw said:
Famous last words, hah.
There's no way it could go lower than 10....right? I'd feel dirty paying less than that for such a wonderful game, anyways.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
MisterAnderson said:
OMFG YES! Torchlight 50% sale FINALLY. PLUS STEAM CLOUD FUUUUUUUUUCK
Damn my impatience!

I bought Torchlight from the D2D sale (Same price but still) and this news makes me sad. No Steam fun for me :(

Still, people need to buy this, like, all of you, NOW.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
alistairw said:
Famous last words, hah.
I'm pretty sure steam is lining up these weekend/midweek deals with stuff that will be better discounted on the holiday sale just to piss the hell out of us.

But what are they gonna do? 66%? 75%? Can't be that low.

..and now I wait for Zombie Driver and Borderlands DLC.

Davidion

Stop It said:
Damn my impatience!

I bought Torchlight from the D2D sale (Same price but still) and this news makes me sad. No Steam fun for me :(

Still, people need to buy this, like, all of you, NOW.

Same here. :( :(

kswiston

drizzle said:
I'm pretty sure steam is lining up these weekend/midweek deals with stuff that will be better discounted on the holiday sale just to piss the hell out of us.

But what are they gonna do? 66%? 75%? Can't be that low.

..and now I wait for Zombie Driver and Borderlands DLC.

I think, at best, Torchlight will be 50% off again during the Christmas Sale. With this recent sale, 10-25% is more likely.

These were the games that were heavily discounted last year:

> 75% off
Bejeweled Deluxe -- $0.99
DOOM II -- $0.99
Half-Life: Opposing Force -- $0.99
Half-Life: Blue Shift -- $0.99
Heavy Weapon Deluxe --$0.99
Luxor 2 -- $0.99
Master Levels for DOOM II -- $0.99
Ultimate DOOM -- $0.99

75% off
BioShock -- $4.99