• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
crimsonheadGCN said:
Mass Effect™ 2 and Mass Effect™ 2 Digital Deluxe Edition are now listed in the "Coming Soon" tab.
The game content that comes deluxe edition sounds really sweet. I would like the soundtrack as well if it is anything like the first game's.

As another poster stated I regret playing through this game on the Xbox360 after playing the superior PC version. I am going to have to try and blaze through the original on PC so I can reuse my character.

Daigoro

yeah Steam charges from over a week ago are just showing up for me now as well. this has not been handled well.

Dave Long said:
Steam purchases were in my "Holds" area for awhile. They didn't clear immediately. This happens with Apple iTunes purchaes sometimes too.

not in mine, the charges were not pending even though i ordered stuff a week or more ago. they just mysteriously deducted today.

pretty piss poor system valve got going here with this sale. they cant even keep track of all the money they are raking in. :/

Credit card company put a block on one of my cards a couple of days after the sale started from making a bunch of little purchases during the sale. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the reason for them staggering the charges the way they did towards the end of the sale. I'm sure there are others that experienced the same thing.

Daigoro

CrookedRain said:
Credit card company put a block on one of my cards a couple of days after the sale started from making a bunch of little purchases during the sale. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the reason for them staggering the charges the way they did towards the end of the sale. I'm sure there are others that experienced the same thing.

not mine. im with a credit union. they call if anything out of the ordinary happens. i haven't received any calls.

these charges are just coming in very late, out of order, and with no pending charges being shown before hand. they are just now being processed by whatever financial institution valve is using to collect.

they cant handle all of the loot they are collecting. WE MAKE TOO MUCH MONIES!

sciplore

Daigoro said:
yeah Steam charges from over a week ago are just showing up for me now as well. this has not been handled well.

not in mine, the charges were not pending even though i ordered stuff a week or more ago. they just mysteriously deducted today.

pretty piss poor system valve got going here with this sale. they cant even keep track of all the money they are raking in. :/

The oddest thing happened to me is that they are now completely gone from my charges, they showed up in my holdings as soon as I purchased the game. Now they are gone and the money is back in my account. I wonder is it because I have not started up the game yet? I wanted to wait a bit until I was out of school to give it more attention, anyone that purchased FFXI have this problem too?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
naib said:
Steam noob question:

If I already have TF2 and I buy the Orange Box, can I gift TF2 to someone?
I think so. I think it only works for Orange Box. But don't quote me on it. I know I got it for Half Life 2 when I used mine.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Visualante said:
Digital deluxe editions are so dumb. Most of that content will be up on YouTube.
I see them as fairly smart. It's Collector's Edition content for those who want to buy digitally.

What wrong about it?

Somnia

sciplore said:
The oddest thing happened to me is that they are now completely gone from my charges, they showed up in my holdings as soon as I purchased the game. Now they are gone and the money is back in my account. I wonder is it because I have not started up the game yet? I wanted to wait a bit until I was out of school to give it more attention, anyone that purchased FFXI have this problem too?

Mines that same way. $97.94 just back into my account. Not on hold or anything. Has been that way for a few days now. Who knows.

naib

shintoki said:
I think so. I think it only works for Orange Box. But don't quote me on it. I know I got it for Half Life 2 when I used mine.
Thanks shintoki. I think I'll risk it either way, just looking for incentive.
I've only had the Orange Box on the 360.

Twig

Banned
K.Jack said:
I see them as fairly smart. It's Collector's Edition content for those who want to buy digitally.

What wrong about it?
Well, for one, it's stupid, and also, it's stupid.

Collector's Editions are also stupid, unless they come with something super awesome (e.g., Bioshock's Big Daddy), which would be impossible to deliver digitally anyway.

Art books are neat, but not that neat.

Twig

Banned
naib said:
Steam noob question:

If I already have TF2 and I buy the Orange Box, can I gift TF2 to someone?
I am fairly certain that it only works for HL2 and HL2:E1.

But I could be wrong.

goddamnit double post piece of shit argh

graywolf323

Somnia said:
Mines that same way. $97.94 just back into my account. Not on hold or anything. Has been that way for a few days now. Who knows.

exactly what had happened to me

but watch out they will eventually charge you for that $97.94

naib

That's too bad. I'm ashamed to say I've never finished HL2(or portal). But beat the snot out of Half-Life. Playing the demos on my new PC has me charged though.

Still, it looks like the best deal.

Thanks y'all.

vazel

Banned
TheOneGuy said:

Collector's Editions are also stupid, unless they come with something super awesome (e.g., Bioshock's Big Daddy), which would be impossible to deliver digitally anyway.

Does the internet excite you that much? Is anyone else fed up with this guy's attitude?

Edit: Forgot forums have an ignore function because I never had to use it before.
TheOneGuy said:
I mean, are you serious, guy?

EDIT: lolol ignoring me for that, i love it
No I'm not going to ignore you. I'm going to be mature about it. It's not just that one post of yours I found annoying it's all your posts where you cop a childish attitude like that.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
After the L4D2 and Borderlands debacle of buying games and having them drop significantly 1|2 months later, I'll hold off mass effect 2. I also recall the first one dropping pretty quickly in price too.

Twig

Banned
Kuro Madoushi said:
After the L4D2 and Borderlands debacle of buying games and having them drop significantly 1|2 months later, I'll hold off mass effect 2. I also recall the first one dropping pretty quickly in price too.
I, too, intend to wait.

But only because I don't have the money. ): I wouldn't mind paying full price to play it day one if I had the money to spend! I realllllllly want it, though. ):

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
TheOneGuy said:

You have compelled me with your point of view. Thanks for the input.

Javaman

Visualante said:
Digital deluxe editions are so dumb. Most of that content will be up on YouTube.

Plus you'll probably find better stuff shortly into the game making the "exclusives" pointless.

Zzoram

Kuro Madoushi said:

There was no debacle. There were holiday sales, which also happen every year to new releases around Christmas at retail as well. If you bought a 4-pack, you could've gotten the game for $33, and the games never went on sale for less than that individually even during special sales.

Here's something I don't understand about "deluxe versions"- Back at the end of last generation, they started doing PS2 and XBox deluxe editions for $60, these versions had soundtracks and dev commentary and making of videos and what not. If I remember right, which I might not, it seemed like the general consensus was that these "deluxe" features would become standard in next-gen games, justifying the standard $60 console game pricetag. Obviously that isn't the case and now we pay even more for those features, what gives?

Brashnir

Phntmbanana said:
wow I'm looking forward to Mass Effect 2 now since its only 2 weeks away

I was excited about the game when it was announced, but I'm still really annoyed at the convoluted nonsense related to actually getting all the Dragon Age content I paid for. I'm going to wait and see if they pull the same crap with ME2 before buying. I really enjoyed the first game, but I left PC gaming initially due to being hassled by every game I bought.

I like Steam for its convenience. Needing to go through a third party to get the rest of the game I just bought just isn't worth it to me.

Twig

Banned
K.Jack said:
You have compelled me with your point of view. Thanks for the input.
Teehee. O;
Brashnir said:
I was excited about the game when it was announced, but I'm still really annoyed at the convoluted nonsense related to actually getting all the Dragon Age content I paid for. I'm going to wait and see if they pull the same crap with ME2 before buying. I really enjoyed the first game, but I left PC gaming initially due to being hassled by every game I bought.

I like Steam for its convenience. Needing to go through a third party to get the rest of the game I just bought just isn't worth it to me.
To be fair, this has shit to do with PC gaming and everything to do with dumbass publishers.

Brashnir

TheOneGuy said:
Teehee. O;

To be fair, this has shit to do with PC gaming and everything to do with dumbass publishers.

sure, but there has traditionally been a lot more of it on the PC. Granted, they've been bringing it to consoles lately, but that's not the point. I'm not buying their game due to bullshit I had to put up with from the last one.

TheExodu5

Banned
Brashnir said:

The console version isn't going to fix that.

Brashnir

TheExodu5 said:
The console version isn't going to fix that.

I'm not buying the console version either. It wasn't a complaint about the PC, it was a complaint about EA.

edit - since two people got the same incorrect impression from my post, I guess I was unclear. We're talking about two different issues here, and I was drawing a parallel.

1 - EA has been getting in the habit recently of giving legitimate customers a hard time getting all the content they already paid for. This is coming in the form of having to sign in to their website and enter codes and jump through hoops to unlock content you already bought

2 - Similar (though not exactly the same) nonsense caused me to quit PC gaming altogether about 5 years ago, and I only recently came back due to the convenience of Steam.

This is not to say that I think this is necessarily a problem with PC gaming now. It's clearly an issue coming mostly from EA, both on PCs and consoles. I actually didn't buy Dragon Age initially (it was gifted to me) because of the crap they pulled with Rock Band 2, which was a console game.

Companies like EA need to eventually learn that hassling legitimate customers will cost them sales in the long run, and will result in long-term harm to the industry in the form of a lost customer base.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Steam just billed me $40 over what was supposed to be. Nice going. Niiiice going. Someone's gonna have shit to pay for this, since the STEAM card I have is a debit card I have just for specific purchases and this caused an overdraft.

I think Steam billing service melted down.

Perhaps they thought about putting everything back on sale on the last day but realized their entire system would collapsed into itself due the gravity of all that money.

Relix said:
Steam just billed me $40 over what was supposed to be. Nice going. Niiiice going. Someone's gonna have shit to pay for this, since the STEAM card I have is a debit card I have just for specific purchases and this caused an overdraft.

Whatever you do, do not go through your bank to sort this out. Believe me. Create a support ticket through Steams website and let Valve know the situation.

Daigoro

Relix said:

shit, i better double check my account...

LovingSteam said:
Whatever you do, do not go through your bank to sort this out. Believe me. Create a support ticket through Steams website and let Valve know the situation.

whats the reasoning for this? interference with your steam account i assume?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
LovingSteam said:
Yeah did just that. Will go over to the bank and deposit to cover the overdraft (second time ever in my life, once happened with Amazon and something similar to boot). I sounded pissed in the support ticket I made though =P. I do expect them to respond quickly. I am not expecting them to pay the OD fees but at least show some.... Make up :lol :lol

Relix said:
Yeah did just that. Will go over to the bank and deposit to cover the overdraft (second time ever in my life, once happened with Amazon and something similar to boot). I sounded pissed in the support ticket I made though =P. I do expect them to respond quickly. I am not expecting them to pay the OD fees but at least show some.... Make up :lol :lol

It may take awhile due to the three day holiday and all. Also, you may want to contact BurtonJ (he is a Valve employee, find him through the official forums) as he is usually very good at speeding up the process.

Daigoro said:
whats the reasoning for this? interference with your steam account i assume?

Well, like many companies, if you were to request a charge back, Valve has and probably would disable your account. It sucks but its the way things are. That is why if you ever have a financial issue with them NEVER go through your bank unless you make sure your bank doesn't issue a charge back.

Daigoro

Relix said:

they better pay OD fees if they overcharged your card and caused the account to be overdrawn.

LovingSteam said:
Well, like many companies, if you were to request a charge back, Valve has and probably would disable your account. It sucks but its the way things are. That is why if you ever have a financial issue with them NEVER go through your bank unless you make sure your bank doesn't issue a charge back.

yeah... that would suck hard.

ElectricBlue187 said:
I wish I could preload Mass Effect 2.

I JUST WANT TO GIVE YOU MY MONIES VALVE/BIOWARE.

Do they ever preload 3rd party games?

Yes, Valve allows for the preloading of 3rd party games. Out of the games that came out recently, Dragon Age: Origins, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 and Borderlands were up for preload. So you should expect both versions of Mass Effect 2 to be available for preload.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
ElectricBlue187 said:
I wish I could preload Mass Effect 2.

I JUST WANT TO GIVE YOU MY MONIES VALVE/BIOWARE.

Do they ever preload 3rd party games?

They recently started doing it with Borderlands and Dragon Age. If DA got a preload, I don't see why ME2 won't.

Heck, they preloaded Jade Empire when it came out on Steam. No reason to think they won't preload Mass Effect 2.

speculawyer said:
What is the probability that we get Bioshock 2 on Steam Day 1? I'm down for that. I'll put together a four pack with others.

100% . Bioshock was a real milestone release for Steam when it came out, and I think their team is certainly expecting the sequel to be a really big mover right from the get go.

Twig

Banned
Relix said:
Whoa, you just made me look at my account out of curiosity and I went from 70 bucks to less than 10 bucks.

If they charge me any more I might get an overdraft fee.

Ffff, I don't have time to check through all this now, I have to study for the GRE. Damnit.

EDIT: Phew, it's all the correct charges, so I shouldn't lose any more money.

I don't get why they charged me originally (it actually all went through, I had checked shortly after the sale ended) and then somehow I got some money back, and now I have significantly LESS money than I had before I got that money back. I've only withdrawn twenty from my account since then...

I'll have to look closer at other things later. I suspect something else went wrong. But if Valve, at least, charges me anything more, it'll be too much. Dodged a bullet there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom