• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slavik81

TheExodu5 said:
Far Cry is a fairly straightforward action game. The AI is really exceptional for the time, but it only really comes into play a few times, as much of the game is linear. Be prepared to do a lot of saving and loading.
More loading than saving.

I loved it.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
graywolf323 said:
well **** me

I need to come up with $53.23 somehow

damn you Steam >_<

edit: ugh I had to trade games into GameStop in order to get the money :-(

now to get to the bank

edit 2: well my balance has updated for today (Wednesday the 6th) and I'll be fine financially at least

had to sell Uncharted 2, the latest Ratchet & Clank, Motorstorm Pacific Rift, and Midnight Club LA to get the money though :'( but I still need to beat the previous Ratchet Future and Uncharted games anyways... still hurts though
You were the one who bought basically every game that went on sale, right?

Brashnir

graywolf323 said:
Divinity II sounds interesting

is it a sequel to the Divinity games that are on GOG?

kinda wish I had bought them during GOG's sale now

I think you bought quite enough games during the sales.:lol

Do like me and wait til you clear out your backlog before looking into Divinity. You'll probably be able to get a Divinity Complete pack in a couple months, and then there will be a weekend deal on it at some later date.

And if not, you can just pick it up for whatever it costs once you get some of that backlog cleared out and are looking for something new.

Truespeed

graywolf323 said:
well **** me

damn you Steam >_<

now to get to the bank

edit 2: well my balance has updated for today (Wednesday the 6th) and I'll be fine financially at least

had to sell Uncharted 2, the latest Ratchet & Clank, Motorstorm Pacific Rift, and Midnight Club LA to get the money though :'( but I still need to beat the previous Ratchet Future and Uncharted games anyways... still hurts though

Damn, I would have taken those games and given you a much better price than Gamestop.

As for overdrafts, I was watching a documentary on Frontline about credit card companies and they mentioned that debits are not processed in chronological order. Instead, the programs re-order the debits to make you overdraft as soon as possible. Once this happens, the smaller debits are then applied so that you're charged as much overdraft penalties as possible.

Javaman

Truespeed said:
Damn, I would have taken those games and given you a much better price than Gamestop.

As for overdrafts, I was watching a documentary on Frontline about credit card companies and they mentioned that debits are not processed in chronological order. Instead, the programs re-order the debits to make you overdraft as soon as possible. Once this happens, the smaller debits are then applied so that you're charged as much overdraft penalties as possible.

Yeah, they definitely do that. In fact it's written into Wachovia's checking account policy. They order it to post the largest first with the BS justification that the biggest ones are the most important. (car/house) Sounds good on paper, but they would post everything anyways so it's a moot point.

Twig

Banned
graywolf323 said:
well **** me

damn you Steam >_<

now to get to the bank

what the fuck is wrong with you stop buying shit goddamn son

graywolf323

Truespeed said:

Navy Federal isn't like that :) the first thing that posts is deposits or refunds and then it goes from smallest to largest :D

TheOneGuy said:
what the fuck is wrong with you stop buying shit goddamn son

I didn't make all the big purchases until this Sunday/Monday which was 10-12 days after these missing charges, it's perfectly reasonable to believe that debit card charges would come through under 10 days (hell the iD Super Pack charge still hasn't and it's been 14 days)

Twig

Banned
graywolf323 said:
I didn't make all the big purchases until this Sunday/Monday which was 10-12 days after these missing charges, it's perfectly reasonable to believe that debit card charges would come through under 10 days (hell the iD Super Pack charge still hasn't and it's been 14 days)
Yeah I know. But you still bought a ridiculous amount of games. O;

Tenks

graywolf323 said:
well **** me

damn you Steam >_<

now to get to the bank

Shit I woulda taken UC2, R&C, M:pR for $70 easy.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
graywolf323 said:
this is weird, I just checked my bank account and I'm missing charges from back around the sale started, almost two weeks ago

which could be a problem since if they come through now I'll overdraft :-S
How does this work? IF they charged you the moment you bought the games, you'd have the money. Now, two weeks later, you don't? And now you have to sell shit to pay for them?

How does that work? You had 50 bucks on your bank account and you figured: hey, i can buy 50 worth of games! And you bought it.

Then a day later you went: Hey, i still have 50 bucks on my bank account even tho i just spent 50 bucks! I'll buy more shit!

And then you noticed they didn't charge you and now you have no money?

I mean, how does that happen?

graywolf323

drizzle said:
How does this work? IF they charged you the moment you bought the games, you'd have the money. Now, two weeks later, you don't? And now you have to sell shit to pay for them?

How does that work? You had 50 bucks on your bank account and you figured: hey, i can buy 50 worth of games! And you bought it.

Then a day later you went: Hey, i still have 50 bucks on my bank account even tho i just spent 50 bucks! I'll buy more shit!

And then you noticed they didn't charge you and now you have no money?

I mean, how does that happen?

not a day later, 10 days later

and I have a feeling I'm probably not the only person who is going to have this problem

drizzle

Axel Hertz
graywolf323 said:

and I have a feeling I'm probably not the only person who is going to have this problem
It just seems to me you have loose control of your finances. And you're living on a direct-to-bank transfer, that takes 10 days to work. All my steam/internet purchases are made through credit card and the bill only arrives on my house 30 days after i made the purchase, and i never purchase something i know i wont have money to buy.

It just seems weird to me that stuff like this happens.

Kipe

graywolf323 said:

Turn off the ability to overdraft on your account. It's a bs way for banks to make more money.

Majmun

Whoa at TRINE. The game owned me hard.
Bought the game off of PSN for €20 two months ago. I saw the game being advertised as a €9.99 game now on PSN. And it's even cheaper on Steam. URGH...

Guess I'll just buy Braid on Steam instead of PSN...

graywolf323

drizzle said:
It just seems to me you have loose control of your finances. And you're living on a direct-to-bank transfer, that takes 10 days to work. All my steam/internet purchases are made through credit card and the bill only arrives on my house 30 days after i made the purchase, and i never purchase something i know i wont have money to buy.

It just seems weird to me that stuff like this happens.

debit card not direct to bank transfer, charges take 2-3 days to come through

I made my second purchases of sale (via my debit card at least) 10-12 days after the initial purchases not realizing they had gone "missing"

had a lot of money in my checking account at the time (just after Christmas) and bought the nice new slim PS3 so my balance looked right, wasn't expecting charges that were made a week before stuff that had come through not be there

edit: and I'm a college student so I do live paycheck to paycheck and manage my finances very well thank you, I have only overdrafted once in the past two years

Dave Long

Banned
Steam purchases were in my "Holds" area for awhile. They didn't clear immediately. This happens with Apple iTunes purchaes sometimes too.

Twig

Banned
graywolf323 said:

I somehow got more money!

Checked my account, had 70 bucks. Checked it again a few days later, had 90 bucks. I was like yay.

Second said:
Whoa at TRINE. The game owned me hard.
Bought the game off of PSN for €20 two months ago. I saw the game being advertised as a €9.99 game now on PSN. And it's even cheaper on Steam. URGH...

Guess I'll just buy Braid on Steam instead of PSN...

You do know you just missed out on picking it up for like ~$3 right?

Dave Long said:
Steam purchases were in my "Holds" area for awhile. They didn't clear immediately. This happens with Apple iTunes purchaes sometimes too.

This always happens with my Steam purchases, but they usually sho up there right away

I bought Mirrors Edge and L4D1 this time around (for a whooping $12.50 total) and it came out of my account within 3 days, going to the holds area that same day.

I feel bad for the people who are having issues, I know how bad that can suck. Im fucking terrible at budgeting anyways and something like that happening to me would cause a full meltdown for me.

Salaadin

My bank always lists what my balance is but then subtracts/adds anything on hold to give me an anticipated balance. I pretty much always know how much I have regardless of whats on hold. I thought thats how all banks did it.

GTA4 runs like a dog with 3 broken legs, amazing how I can adjust most settings but it always stays around 30-20fps outside and then shoots to 60 when indoors, at least the game is playable at low frame rates, just one of those games where even at 5fps you know what's going on.

Since a few years ago where I had bad money troubles I been watching my account like a hawk, I hate how apple delays some of their transactions by up to a week BUT it's better to have 1 clump of app's in 1 bill then 20 smaller separate ones over a few days.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
KittyKittyBangBang said:
This always happens with my Steam purchases, but they usually sho up there right away

I bought Mirrors Edge and L4D1 this time around (for a whooping $12.50 total) and it came out of my account within 3 days, going to the holds area that same day.

I feel bad for the people who are having issues, I know how bad that can suck. Im fucking terrible at budgeting anyways and something like that happening to me would cause a full meltdown for me.
If you're having budget problems I feel bad for you son. I got 99 problems but a bank ain't one.

My finances are fine but PC game backlog is atrocious after the holiday sale. I ended up canceling my Gamefly account and I haven't even bought Bayonetta yet (after hyping it as the second coming).

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Diablohead said:
GTA4 runs like a dog with 3 broken legs, amazing how I can adjust most settings but it always stays around 30-20fps outside and then shoots to 60 when indoors, at least the game is playable at low frame rates, just one of those games where even at 5fps you know what's going on.

Since a few years ago where I had bad money troubles I been watching my account like a hawk, I hate how apple delays some of their transactions by up to a week BUT it's better to have 1 clump of app's in 1 bill then 20 smaller separate ones over a few days.
I think its main issue is that it is CPU bound and their is little graphically you can do to reduce the CPU stress. Saints Row 2 is the same - you can set the game to look like crap and it will still run crappy on the wrong CPU. Improve the graphics to max and it runs about the same (and still looks crap). Kinda ironic when you think about it.

bengraven

graywolf323 said:

You're not. I'm grateful though, because if they all came in at once or even close to when I purchased them, I would be in a lot of trouble. :lol

Can't find a recent TF2 thread but will post it here.

Sandman hp nerf has been removed and dead ringer de-cloak sound is now quieter.

steam update page said:
Server Browser (for TF2 and DoD:S)

Added a client-side server blacklist

Supports blacklisting of specific servers, all servers on an IP, and all servers on a class C range

Saves the server list to a file, and has an Import button to allow easy sharing (cfg\server_blacklist.txt)

Balance changes

Reduced the health penalty on The Sandman

The Force-A-Nature knockback on target now

Only applies to hits that deal more than 30 damage and are in close range

Factors in the firer's angle of attack when determining the knockback direction

Has less of an effect on grounded targets

The Dead Ringer now

Reduces cloak to 40% when uncloaking early

Has a 35% cap on the amount of cloak it can gain from an ammo pack

Has a quieter de-cloak sound

Changes / Fixes

Fixed a performance & stability issue with AMD processors

Improved the stability of the game server -> item backend connection

Fixed a rare server crash related to dispensers

Added min/max values to viewmodel_fov convar to match the settings in the slider

Reduced the number of moons in ctf_doublecross, sadly

Demo playback now ignores sv_pure settings, allowing demos to easily contain custom content

Fixed a crash related to sv_pure and the wireframe_dx6 shader

Players can no longer shoot while stunned

Fixed a bug that caused movement speed reductions to not work on stunned players

Soldier Rage bar no longer resets when touching a resupply cabinet

Achievement fixes

Fixed the "Second Eye" Demoman achievement

Fixed a bug in the "Play Doctor" Medic achievement

Changed the requirements for the "Medals of Honor" Soldier achievement

Updated description for the "Blind Fire" Demoman achievement to better explain the requirements

Fixed an issue that affected several achievements requiring the use of the Equalizer

Community requests

Added "skip_next_map" server ConCommand to skip the next map in the map cycle

Added "Play a hit sound whenever you injure an enemy" option to the Multiplayer->Advanced options menu

Added server "tf_use_fixed_weaponspreads" convar. When set, shotgun & scattergun pellet spreads will use a non-random distribution

Added a "show_htmlpage" command to allow server operators to display custom web pages to clients

Changes to the TF Bots

In KOTH mode, Bots are now

More likely to roam around and hunt enemies if there is lots of time left

Become more likely to push for the point as time runs down, or their teammates start to capture it

Medic bots now

Opportunistically "overheal" nearby friends when they can

Prioritize healing of injured nearby friends more

Don't focus on Heavies quite so exclusively

Don't spam their Medigun continuously at round start

Won't choose cover far below their heal target so much (koth_nucleus)

Fight back with their syringe-gun appropriately

Various improvements to combat behaviors

General bot improvements

They no longer stand still on the point when capturing or defending it

They choose more varied routes now

They choose better defensive spots around captured points

They fall back to another weapon when they entirely run out of ammo

They adjust their FOV when using zoomed in sniper scope

They treat in-range Sentries as the most dangerous threat

They fire their weapons is more realistic bursts

Engineers use their shotgun properly

Added a "virtual mousepad" concept to rework how bots track enemy players

They now periodically estimate the position and velocity of the enemy they are tracking, instead of "locking on"

After rotating beyond a maximum angle, they will pause for a fraction of a second to re-center their "virtual mouse"

Allows for over/undershoot "slop" in aiming. Looks more natural, and allows skilled players to dodge

Addresses the "180 spin around and fire", "Heavy bot is OP", "Sniper is OP", and "I can't fight a Heavy bot as a Scout" issues

Tuned Sniper spot finding algorithm to generate more diverse locations, partially addressing the "Predictable Sniper camping spots" issue

Soldier bots are more careful to not fire rockets that will explode on nearby geometry and kill them

Fixed a bug where bots tried to heal from a Dispenser being carried by an Engineer

Tuned scoreboard logic to guard against malicious server operators spoofing bot pings to hide the "BOT" tag

Added more bot names as suggested by the TF community

graywolf323 said:
debit card not direct to bank transfer, charges take 2-3 days to come through

I made my second purchases of sale (via my debit card at least) 10-12 days after the initial purchases not realizing they had gone "missing"

had a lot of money in my checking account at the time (just after Christmas) and bought the nice new slim PS3 so my balance looked right, wasn't expecting charges that were made a week before stuff that had come through not be there

edit: and I'm a college student so I do live paycheck to paycheck and manage my finances very well thank you, I have only overdrafted once in the past two years
Same thing happened to me after thanksgiving. I hate when Steam does that.

Well, Square Enix is the publisher for Supreme Commander 2 and I thought the company had good relations with Valve, so I doubt that they would have signed an exclusivity agreement with Stardock. And I thought Gas Powered Games only signed an exclusivity deal for Demigod and not for any of their future games.

Waikis

Doytch said:
Should've picked it up for $5 in the sale like I did. :lol

I'm more concerned with my game saves in the 360. ME2 can recognize those saves and give you additional perks right?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Be on the look out for a mispriced Digital Deluxe Edition. :lol

I'm wondering if I'll even spend extra for it though. My first playthrough will be an Engineer, so the bonus weapons mean little to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom