• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
HK-47 said:
Look main quest was about 20 hours. And all the side quest stuff was the definition of pointless so its all pointless padding that isnt satisfying.

Also 10 extra bucks for that joke of a deluxe edition is sad. Especially since stuff like the soundtrack will end up on the tube on launch. Art book is the only worthwhile part of it.
If we are talking main quest, more like 10-12 hours. I finished it around 20 hours though, but all that game time wasn't exactly strictly spent on the main story.

Does anyone play the original AI War online?

I was thinking of getting it for $10 during the holiday sale, but that's the main selling point for me.
Sorta, you're basically going to haft to organize / arrange games with them over the websites irc channel (as far as randoms go at least). Even so, i wouldn't recommend the game for it's scarce online feature, LAN is where it's at. And what the game is primarily designed for.

Also if you going play any game networked or online, make sure you forward the port in your router. (which should be found in the network settings). I had issues playing LAN, until i forwarded the port on the router.

Javaman

JudgeN said:
Upset over $97? This is a wife trap, don't fall for it :lol

It's not about the amount of the money, it's about the potential dishonesty if they had previously agreed on a budget and the annoyance/embarrassment at having a card decline.

Where's my weekend dealeo Valve?!

dani_dc

I could see my girlfriend having a similar reaction to that if I spent 97 dollars of our money without telling her :lol

Infact upon reading your posts she said "stupid guy" and procceded to tell me not to go around spending $97 without telling her :lol

(I think she knows I'll still spend that much anyway at the end of the day though)

Tenks

Weekend deal dream: Mass Effect 2 - $19.99.

I'd jizz.

Say I pick up a physical copy of BioShock 2, could it be activated on Steam?

Have they said if it's steamworks or not? In general I wouldn't rely on activating boxed games on steam.

Brashnir

K.Jack said:
King's Bounty.... I just don't knooooow.

But if I don't buy it for $11, I never will. :lol

The Legend is a lot of game and it's only 5 bucks. Try it out and wait for another sale on AP if you like it.

bengraven said:
It was stupid on my part, very stupid, I didn't realize how they had added up. She, however, has the ability to use a calculator while looking through our second bank account (which I thought she had no access to, but apparently I forgot to wipe the cookies).

This is more scary. I mean I have no problem sharing everything with my wife including bank accounts (she is my wife ffs, marriage is not just two people living together for convenience) however if I need something from her purse I will always politely ask if I can open it, even if I know she will always say so. Same for her, when she transfers money from my account she will always ask if it's ok to access it, even if she has all the info.

Deal with it like a man - go now, get flowers, cook something for dinner.:D

King's Bounty... hmm, I don't know. On the one hand it looks fun, but on the other hand I can't think of any reason to play it over better games like HOMM or Disciples, games with similar gameplay but full strategic modes that adds so much depth to those games that doesn't exist in King's Bounty's simpler design. They also have map editors, longer single-player games, near-infinite replayability, and multiplayer. King's Bounty has none of those things. So yeah, I kind of want King's Bounty, but on the other hand I feel like I should play more Disciples 2 or buy one of the HOMM games I don't have instead. Hmm...

While we are on the topic of retail copies activating on steam, does anyone know if Mass Effect 2 PC retail will have a steam activation code? I really want the collector's edition (physical copy) but I want it to be tied to my steam account. Would be willing to just bite the bullet and buy the Steam collector's edition if anyone knows for sure that it can't be activated otherwise.

Volcynika

MisterAnderson said:
While we are on the topic of retail copies activating on steam, does anyone know if Mass Effect 2 PC retail will have a steam activation code? I really want the collector's edition (physical copy) but I want it to be tied to my steam account. Would be willing to just bite the bullet and buy the Steam collector's edition if anyone knows for sure that it can't be activated otherwise.

Dragon Age wasn't, so I moreso doubt ME2 will have Steam activation. I wouldn't bet on it.

Kosma

Banned
I think its only games that use steamworks, like MW2.

ME2 is cheaper on the EA site btw, for the price of the Steam version you can get the deluxe one.

Kosma said:
I think its only games that use steamworks, like MW2.

ME2 is cheaper on the EA site btw, for the price of the Steam version you can get the deluxe one.

But doesn't the EA site have download limit shenanigans?

kuYuri

MisterAnderson said:
Question 2: Will the EA site version activate on steam?

No... none of the different editions will.

There are very few retail games that tie to Steam and it's not a good idea to expect many of them to have it, at least anytime soon.

Oreoleo

Hasphat6462 said:
But doesn't the EA site have download limit shenanigans?

Yes you're download link is only valid for 6 months or something stupid like that. But they graciously (lol) offer an extended warranty so you can re-download for up to two whole entire years.

hamchan

Orellio said:
Yes you're download link is only valid for 6 months or something stupid like that. But they graciously (lol) offer an extended warranty so you can re-download for up to two whole entire years.
Seriously? What a shitty system.

Oreoleo

hamchan said:
Seriously? What a shitty system.

I just double-checked; they let you re-download for a year, not 6 months. I think that might be a recent development, actually. But yes, still an awful system when compared to pretty much any other digital download store.

zoku88

Orellio said:
I just double-checked; they let you re-download for a year, not 6 months. I think that might be a recent development, actually. But yes, still an awful system when compared to pretty much any other digital download store.
huh, I thought you had to explicitly pay for the service that let's you dl for a up to a year afterwards.

Oreoleo

zoku88 said:
huh, I thought you had to explicitly pay for the service that let's you dl for a up to a year afterwards.

Oh. Well after checking again I realized the wording was a little misleading.. after buying something from the EA store you have up to a year to download it the first time. After that who knows, I'm not seeing anything in the fine print (http://tos.ea.com/legalapp/termsofsale/US/enl/PC/ ). So yeah... that's really shitty.

enewtabie

Quick question for you Steam experts. Just got back into PC gaming after a 7 year hiatus and just purchased my first game(Torchlight).

I know Steam has it's achievements,but do Live Achievements work with Steam too?
I've been wanting to play Dawn of War 2. Thanks:D

Slavik81

zoku88 said:
I bought Mirror's Edge from the EA store (since it was $25 cheaper than the Steam store at the time).

I've downloaded it twice. It didn't cost me anything extra.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
bdouble said:
No Live achievements do not work on Steam. You could venture into GFWL if thats your thing though.

Sure they do. You can run any GFWL game that is on steam and get achievements, including the game he specifically mentioned, DOW2.

madmook

enewtabie said:
I know Steam has it's achievements,but do Live Achievements work with Steam too?
If you're playing a Games For Windows Live enabled game (even if its the Steam version), and you also run and log into GFWL, then yes, Live achievements do work. I got some GTAIV pc version achievements on my Live gamertag.

Firestorm

enewtabie said:
Quick question for you Steam experts. Just got back into PC gaming after a 7 year hiatus and just purchased my first game(Torchlight).

Dawn of War II is Games for Windows Live. It'll ask you if you want to log into Live, say yes (and check it off so it automatically does it). All Live games on Steam have Live achievements. DoW2 is Steam only actually and is Live enabled.

I got my Batman achievements from Steam =) Also have Fallout 3 GOTY and Red Faction Guerilla. Hopefully Bioshock 2 will be added to that list soon (Live confirmed, Steam not).

Edit: DoW2 goes on sale often for $20 and the expansion is coming up which makes me think they'll do another sale. Don't buy at $40.

enewtabie

Firestorm said:
Dawn of War II is Games for Windows Live. It'll ask you if you want to log into Live, say yes (and check it off so it automatically does it). All Live games on Steam have Live achievements. DoW2 is Steam only actually and is Live enabled.

I got my Batman achievements from Steam =) Also have Fallout 3 GOTY and Red Faction Guerilla. Hopefully Bioshock 2 will be added to that list soon (Live confirmed, Steam not).

Edit: DoW2 goes on sale often for $20 and the expansion is coming up which makes me think they'll do another sale. Don't buy at $40.

ah..Thanks for the heads up.
Was just surfing through the store. Is there a list of or a way to sort by the Live games on Steam?

2mynhv7.jpg

I wish I could preload :(

gregor7777 said:
That list is incomplete. Shadowrun isn't on there, and I got most of my achievements with the PC version.
It's also missing Lost Planet. But it includes the smaller games that the official list doesn't include, like Tinker and World of Goo.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
bengraven said:
I spent $97. She knew I had spent $40 the first day on some deals, but I neglected to tell her about a few other purchases from some of the daily deals. And the last day I suddenly picked up a couple of $10 games I wanted to ensure I got, which brought me over my initial $70.
Wait, your spent total was $97, she knew about $40, so the amount she didn't know of was $57, right?

That's like 40€. Amount-wise, it's totally not a big deal. Sure, the dishonesty part sucks, but we all make mistakes; I think it's ridiculous to threaten leaving you over this alone. If you were a recovering addict and had used the money to chase the dragon, hey, I'd get it.

I'm sure it'll be forgotten in a week.

Treat her to a dinner or something, make it cost exactly $57 and don't tell her about the price :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom