• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

dani_dc

rostocker said:
Is the steam version a Windows Live game? Has it Achievements etc.?

EDIT: guys, is it normal, that all prices are in Euro now? I thought that was only a beta and you could pay in the currency you want. But now, everything is Euro and I can't change it anywhere! AHHAHAH!
Wow, you're right, I hadn't even noticed.

How great they did a $1=1€ convertion. Now the great majority of games are more expensive then retail :lol

I was considering buying Aquaria and Civ III soon, but I don't think I'll be supporting Steam after screwing us Europeans with this move.

Ikopi

rostocker said:
yup. No reason for me to spend my money on steam anymore.

The question is if they still add some tax during the check-out. If they still do that, no more reason for any European to spend money on Steam.

Thomper

Ikopi said:
The question is if they still add some tax during the check-out. If they still do that, no more reason for any European to spend money on Steam.
Tax is now included in the price, not added later, so I guess that's good.

Vorador

Banned
1$=1€ equivalency is a huge ripoff, so there's no reason to buy my games on Steam anymore, especially since with this move most boxed retail games are cheaper than Steam.

Time to jump out.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
You own 30 Steam Games worth ~ $324.73

That includes every Valve game on Steam, heh.

"FlatOut: Ultimate Carnage - $9.99, was $19.99
Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast[1][3] - $9.99, was $19.99"

Both will be mine.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
steam prices confuse the hell out of my sometimes. i've been considering picking up far cry 2 for a little while, and with the euro currency beta i could pick it up for £26.99, a fair price to pay in the uk. still with an inexplicable premium over what i'd pay for retail, but whatever.

so i go back to check it today, with the euro currency mandatory and BAM...£34.99.

do these publishers have any concept of how to actually sell their fucking game?

i'm no marketing analyst, i've got no business degree, but i can't think of a single damn person who'd stretch to this premium - even for steam. that game is selling for an average of £25, dropping to £18 in some cases. i was willing to pay more than either of these prices with the affect of actually saving ubisoft money on retail shipping, but no way in hell £34.99 more.

then i went on to check up on my most anticipated game on the horizon...empire:total war. £39.99!

WHY?!

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
ghst said:
steam prices confuse the hell out of my sometimes. i've been considering picking up far cry 2 for a little while, and with the euro currency beta i could pick it up for £26.99, a fair price to pay in the uk. still with an inexplicable premium over what i'd pay for retail, but whatever.

so i go back to check it today, with the euro currency mandatory and BAM...£34.99.

do these publishers have any concept of how to actually sell their fucking game?

i'm no marketing analyst, i've got no business degree, but i can't think of a single damn person who'd stretch to this premium - even for steam. that game is selling for an average of £25, dropping to £18 in some cases. i was willing to pay more than either of these prices, with the affect of saving ubisoft money on retail shipping, but no way in hell £34.99 more.

then i went on to check up on my most anticipated game on the horizon...empire:total war. £39.99!

WHY?!

It is strange, so much for digital distribution being cheaper, infact most of the digital distribution companys charge more than retail do.

Javaman

Deacan said:
It is strange, so much for digital distribution being cheaper, infact most of the digital distribution companys charge more than retail do.

Check out the price of the Call of Duty warchest. :lol :lol :lol

$39 for the COD1 one plus expansions. What a joke.

dejan

ghst said:

i'm no marketing analyst, i've got no business degree, but i can't think of a single damn person who'd stretch to this premium - even for steam. that game is selling for an average of £25, dropping to £18 in some cases. i was willing to pay more than either of these prices with the affect of actually saving ubisoft money on retail shipping, but no way in hell £34.99 more.

WHY?!

Steam DE (germany):
Fallout 3 50 €
GTA IV 50 €
CoD WoW 50€
Left 4 Dead 45€
Far Cry 2 not available

Steam US (for comparison):
Fallout 3 50$ ~ 35€ (1€ = 1.45$)
GTA IV 50$ ~ 35€
CoD WoW 50$ ~ 35€
Left 4 Dead 50$ ~ 35€
Far Cry 2 50$ ~ 35€

Oh, did I mention the 19% VAT on every purchase from the german store?

Btw I can get all of these games for 35€ at retail.

Ouch..is britland getting the same rough break? I know when they first rolled out the beta the UK had largely discounted prices due to the conversion.

Paradox makes its first foray onto Steam with EU:Rome Gold Edition-

http://store.steampowered.com/news/2113/

Sort of weird seeing a Paradox game available outside of the Gamersgate service that they operate. I didn't enjoy EU:Rome too much but hopefully they'll tote on over Hearts of Iron 2: Doomsday and EU3 and its expansions, which I enjoyed immensely.

Htown said:
So, what's wrong with Civ 3 that I shouldn't pick it up for five bucks?

Absolutely nothing.

Its not as good as Civ 4, but fuck, that's like complaining that having sex with a supermodel isn't as good as having sex with a coachload of supermodels.

If you've never played a civ game before and don't know if you'll like it, for $5 how can you not bite? They're some of the greatest games ever made.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
looks like warhammer online: age of reckoning is coming to steam.

would that make it their second MMO with eve?

1607gwx.png

Thomper

Seems they're uploading a lot of EA-stuff. Someone on the Steam-forums already noticed this:

Spore Trailer
Mass Effect Trailer
Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3 Trailer
Need for Speed: Undercover Trailer
Mirrors Edge Trailer
Dead Space Trailer
Spore Creepy and Cute Trailer

Good to see EA finally giving an alternative to their own crappy download service. Hope they don't overprice the older stuff too much.

Thomper said:
Good to see EA finally giving an alternative to their own crappy download service. Hope they don't overprice the older stuff too much.
I really think everything is going to be MSRP. EA is in too much of a sensitive position with retail to undercut the shelf copies.

At this point not selling your PC games on Steam is probably about as bad of an idea as not selling them at a place like Wal-Mart. I'm sure EA will find a way to assert that everything stays at MSRP for like three years after release or something.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Fragamemnon said:
At this point not selling your PC games on Steam is probably about as bad of an idea as not selling them at a place like Wal-Mart.

well, except mainland in europe.

HooYaH

I guess they are updating SPORE. GOtta love the game + creature pack is $22.49 + $19.99 and it costs $69.98. :lol

Looks like Steam now has Warhammer Online, Spore, Spore Creepy and Cute pack, Fifa Manager 09, Mass Effect, and NFS: Undercover for sale on Steam now. I would expect a Mirror's Edge preorder page and Dead Space page up pretty shortly too.

Pretty impressive rollout.

EU Rome and Spore bugged like that on the same page is somewhat amusing, because if you asked me to name just two PC games that felt particularly aimless this year, those would be my two picks.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I wonder if I could actually buy Spore and Europa Universalis for 23 dollars and not have them come back later and charge me more.

I'm pretty sure you would get away with getting both games for that price if you can actually purchase it while the deal is still up. There's no way they would charge you more after you purchase it though.

Volcynika

If you didn't see my new thread, remember, Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl is the weekend deal, for 75% off! Get it for five dolla.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
CrookedRain said:
I'm pretty sure you would get away with getting both games for that price if you can actually purchase it while the deal is still up. There's no way they would charge you more after you purchase it though.
They already fixed it. I was on the phone with the bank trying to fix my online banking account to make sure I had enough for it. Oh well. :lol

Daigoro

Mutanthands said:
There were a whole bunch of price drops yesterday on Steam, especially with Sega:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=518670

Examples:

FlatOut: Ultimate Carnage - $9.99, was $19.99
Clive Barker's Jericho[2] - $9.99, was $39.99
Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast[1][3] - $9.99, was $19.99
Overlord - $19.99, was $39.99
RoboBlitz - $9.99, was $14.99
Rogue Trooper - $9.99, was $19.99
Rome: Total War - Alexander[1][3] - $9.99, was $14.99
Rome: Total War - Gold[1][3] - $9.99, was $19.99
Rome: Total War - Complete[1][3] - $9.99, was $29.99
Safecracker: The Ultimate Puzzle Adventure - $4.99, was $9.99
SEGA Rally[1][3] - $19.99, was $49.99
SEGA Rally Revo[7] - $9.99, was $49.99
Shadowgrounds Survivor - $14.99, was $19.99
Shadowgrounds Pack - $19.99, was $24.99
Shattered Suns - $19.99, was $39.99
Shattered Union[5] - $9.99, was $29.99
Sid Meier's Civilization III Complete[5] - $4.99, was 29.99
Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Warlords[5] - $9.99, was $19.99
Sid Meier's Pirates![5] - $9.99, was $29.99
Silverfall - $19.99, was $29.99
SiN Episodes: Emergence - $9.99, was $14.99
Space Empires IV and V Pack - $19.99, was $24.98
Space Siege[5] - $19.99, was $49.99
Stubbs The Zombie - $9.99, was $19.99
The Club[3] - $19.99, was $49.99
Tomb Raider: Anniversary - $19.99, was $29.99
Top Spin 2 - $9.99, was $19.99
UFO: Afterlight - $9.99, was $29.99
Universe at War: Earth Assault - $19.99, was $49.99
Zen of Sudoku - $4.99, was $9.99

I'm tempted to double dip on Outrun and Sega Rally at those prices.

There's some good stuff there. Whip out the credit cards!

wow, awesome.

anyone played that Sodoku game? my wife has been getting into Sodoku lately. i might pick it up for her.

brain_stew said:
Also everybody has to buy Sega Rally Revo now, at $10 its the best bargain on Steam.

thank you! couldnt agree more. time to double dip.

i need a damn cord to plug my 360 pad into my PC now.

Blizzard

Banned
fresquito said:
Damn, STALKER is very hard. I'm playing on medium and I can't finish the first mission :lol

I just did it on "Stalker" difficulty...I tried mostly using the ironsights and hiding behind the trailer with one of the friendly guys (everyone ended up dying besides the head guy, I guess maybe he can't die, though, and I
gave him a medkit
). I died a bunch though. Oh, and you can loot corpses midbattle...I picked up a double-barreled shotgun that helped on one or two guys. >_>

Tendo

thanks for that price drop update, just snagged stubbs and sega rally revo. Something to crack into tomorrow once my paper is done.

Blizzard

Banned
Oops, time to plug yet another game people don't play. Stubbs the Zombie is actually a hilarious AND fun game. I uninstalled it for space after I had trouble beating the final boss though. =( Some day I'll have to go through it again!

"Anybody want a dead zombie hand?"

"Nice shootin'!"

"...put it through the wood chipper."

fresquito

I've been playing Stalker some more. It seems like the first mission was the toughest so far. I'm having fun, and enjoying the mix of RPG and shooter, although it's a bit lacking on both sides, the mixture is very good. However I find some things more confusing than needed, but on the other hand, it adds to the mistery that sorounds the world.

I'm happy that I spent five Euros in this one, because the game, although a bit flawed in some regards, is very enjoyable and offers an unique experience.

Everdred

BobJustBob said:
Last year they had a huge holiday sale starting the 24th, so I'm crossing my fingers.
I just came in to ask if anyone knew about this. I bought so many games last year. (9 I think) Shit, I still haven't even played 2 of them, but you better believe I'll buy the shit out of a bunch more this year.

SEGA Rally Revo[7] - $9.99, was $49.99
Damn, just bought this on 360 2 weeks ago because it was so much on steam. :(

TwIsTeD

steam to me is all about double dipping.....seriously besides new stuff i am a sucker for packs such as "iD super pack" and rebuying games i bought a decade ago simply because id rather just buy it for %50 off and not worry ever about finding, installing, and getting the games to run from physical media.....god bless steam its the only thing saving pc gaming

bee

strange_booj said:
ISEGA Rally Revo[7] - $9.99, was $49.99
Damn, just bought this on 360 2 weeks ago because it was so much on steam. :(

buy it again its well worth it if you have a wheel, 60fps + logitech g25 makes this one of the most fun games i've ever played

Mrbob

Well since tomorrow is christmas, doesn't Valve put up the weekend special today? Hopefully they run a whole christmas special on a ton of different things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom